PDA

View Full Version : What's an easy way to hide bags under my eyes?

Anime_Chicks
04-24-2004, 05:44 PM
I have bags under my eyes cause I haven't been getting a very good rest. What's a way to hide them besides foundation or powder foundation?

archangeli
04-24-2004, 06:22 PM
I have tried every concealer on the market. My holy grail product right now for under the eyes is: Bobbi Brown's Concealer Kit.

The colors are yellow-based and very organic. You apply it with a finger or a concealer brush (i use MAC 194) and blend. Then dust over it lightly with powder and you're good to go. You don't need to wear a full face.

I have horrible dark circles under my eyes always (it's genetic... blech...) but I love the BB concealer. If you don't need something that heavy, MAC makes some awesome stuff too.

I avoid drugstore brands because they contain "filler" ingredients and you don't necessarily get what you pay for.

Check out the "Concealer" thread here: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=32351

Anime_Chicks
04-24-2004, 06:42 PM
M`kay. I'll try that. Thanks for the help!

China-Lilly
04-27-2004, 03:38 AM
I use Cle de Peau concealer - it's the best I've tried. Covers dark circles easily, yet it's not too drying. I apply with Jane Iredale camouflage brush, but any taklon brush with a tapered head will do. Then I set it with loose powder with a fan brush (also Jane Iredale) so that I get a really light application.

Another good one is YSL Touche Eclat. This is not a concealer, but more of a highlighter-type product - but it really helps with the under-eye area. Only a tiny bit makes a huge amount of difference.

I don't necessarily agree that cheap products are not as good. A lot of it is just packaging and advertising. Many cosmetic lines are owned by the same company - Lancome and L'Oreal for example - and they have matching products. Juicy Tubes and Colour Juice lipgloss have the same formula, only a different tube and fragrance.

I used to use Maybelline Great Wear concealer as an e/s base - and it was very good. However, then they discountinued it! Almay makes a wand concealer that is also good, but I have forgotten what it's called. It's not available were I am so I can't speak for it, but I've actually heard a lot of good things about NYC's concealer.

ChicoChan
04-27-2004, 11:39 AM
^^ i find i always get to sweaty and the make up just tends to run, so don't put it on to heavy :D
i like a light power, something from neutrogena to keep my skin clear and smooth

archangeli
04-27-2004, 01:07 PM
I've got a list of who owns what going here:
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=31558

It's always a good idea to powder down concealer afterwards. It takes some of the shine of the product away and helps make it last longer.

bipolarbunny
04-28-2004, 01:50 AM
ok my cousin and my aunts said you have to put some sort of cream on before applying foundation and concealer because if you don;t it will wreck your skin.

now i just spent $55 on lancome foundation and $50 on powder. my friend at work says good quality make up does not require that.

who's right?

i have dry skin, so i just put on lotion and then makeup.

China-Lilly
04-28-2004, 03:00 AM
ok my cousin and my aunts said you have to put some sort of cream on before applying foundation and concealer because if you don;t it will wreck your skin.

now i just spent $55 on lancome foundation and $50 on powder. my friend at work says good quality make up does not require that.

who's right?

i have dry skin, so i just put on lotion and then makeup.

They might be meaning Eye Cream - which is a cream formulated for the eye area, although opinion is divided on whether a separate moisturiser is needed for the eye area. I don't have very dry skin, but I find I need to prep my eye area with eye cream otherwise the makeup gets too dry on top. I use Clinique All About Eyes which is a cream-gel so rather light in texture, but there are many good ones on the market depending on how much moisture you need.

mikazuki
04-28-2004, 03:05 AM
Since you have dry skin, bipolarbunny, you should use a moisturizer on your skin to keep it hydrated. You should also use make up specific for dry skin so that you won't dry it out. What I would do, if I were you, was mix a could of drops of moisturizer along with a few drops of foundation when you apply it. This is for two reasons - one the makeup won't be so thick on your skin and second it won't dry your skin out. I do the same with my makeup even though I have oily skin (I use products for oily skin).

For a lower end price you could try Max Factor or L'Oreal products since $100+ on two products is just a little much in my opinion (but then again I use to use French products that was heavenly but not expensive).

inertia
04-28-2004, 05:05 AM
Another cosplayer using Cle de Peau! I thought I was the only one crazy enough to shell out for it! ^^ I've also found it to be the best concealer I've tried, excellent not just for dark circles but for covering zits without slipping. The brush I use is from Shiseido and it's great for making a little concealer go a long way. Considering how much Cle de Peau costs, that's a big bonus for me.

mana_blue_rose
04-28-2004, 01:29 PM
I use covergirl, but it doesn't work as well as I want it to. (my dark circle are genetic too @__@;; )

so, I think I'll try the cle de peau <33333

where can I purchase it?

~magenta

inertia
04-29-2004, 02:00 AM
Cle de Peau is the luxury line of Shiseido and can be found in very upscale department stores like Bergdorf Goodman and perhaps Neiman Marcus. But as a warning I do mean *luxury*, not just "premium" like most department store brands. It's very expensive... I paid about 6,000 yen (around $55 US?) for mine in Japan, which is somewhat cheaper than the usual American price.

China-Lilly
04-29-2004, 02:15 AM
It's US$65. I got mine in Hong Kong for HK$400. I wanted to buy it in Japan, but the shades are named differently in JP and I didn't want to guess my shade.

In the US, the shades are Ivory, Beige and Ochre (Sarah Michelle Gellar is Ivory/Beige; Lisa Kudrow Beige/Ochre; Jennifer Aniston Ochre). In Japan, the shades are Light Ochre, Dark Ochre and Pink Ochre.

YU-Yu_Ri_Pa-NA
04-29-2004, 08:24 PM
I don't know if this belongs with this thread, but it's something about the eyes so I'll just put it here ^-^'

I've been looking at myself alot in the mirror and I've noticed I have wrinkles under my eyes ( 13 and already getting wrinkles x.x ).. Is this normal and is there anyway to try and get rid of them? I laugh alot and people say wrinkles are laugh lines...boy, am I gonna be wrinkly..- -

inertia
04-30-2004, 12:44 AM
There isn't any easy way to get rid of wrinkles you already have, but you can prevent new ones by avoiding tanning and making sure to wear sunscreen every day. Sun does a LOT of damage! I started using sunscreen faithfully when I was about 11, and at 29 I still have fewer wrinkles than my friends who never used it did when they were 16~17. It's not just genetic luck -- my sister who tans is 5 years younger than me, but for the past 4 years everyone's mistaken her for the elder of us.

So use sunscreen. You'll be very glad later!

aikoe
05-02-2004, 01:16 AM
i use estee lauder liquid concealer, but it's too light for my skin tone and i don't want to go buy a new one so i usually just mix it with a slightly darker foundation and use that just under my eyes. that works pretty well, and i think the concealer itself is great a long as it's correctly matched to your skin tone. i've been told my (really, really dark) circles are due to allergies, so if you have them, i think you're stuck. does anyone have any fairly cheap alternatives? i've heard physician's formula is good, but i'm not willing to buy a bunch of stuff that doesn't work...

archangeli
05-02-2004, 07:58 PM
dark circles under the eyes can be caused by several factors such as lack of sleep, stress, malnutrition.

for some people it's genetic (like me! -_-' )

joshumz
03-24-2005, 01:06 AM
If you dip some teabags (caffeinated) in warm water, then put them into the refrigerator until they're gold, this will greatly reduce the bagginess. Then just a dab of concealer will do well :)

Anime_Chicks
03-24-2005, 01:20 AM
That's sounds good, I'll try it. Thanx ^.^

Ah_BeA
03-24-2005, 11:50 AM
i've tried the tea bag thing- no offense but i went to my optometrist and he told me to never ever do that again. He said that actually causes infections to uprise and stuch

I use Physician's Formula (http://www.physiciansformula.com/). Its a small little case, i forgot for how much. I got mine at walmart.

Its a small square container about the size of a quarter, and in it has the concealer/foundation. Then it cups with this little tube thats about an inch tall, looks like a mini lip stick, its yellow. the yellow evens out the darkness of the "bags" and then u use the foundation to cover it up.

they also have a mini green one, that can be used on red spots like pimples and hickies =x

joshumz
03-27-2005, 05:30 AM
Ah bea - do you use contacts? If so, that's why. I've never had any problems =p

YunalescaSummon
03-27-2005, 09:03 AM
A touchup stick (like Cover Girl, black tube, found at Target, walmart, etc, for about US$7) in your shade is essential. I wake up in the morning and half the time it looks like I've been punched, and immediately it makes your eyes look so much more alive. Pale eyeshadow *not under the eye, because I've told it to someone before and they're like..."But it doesn't work under my eye!" ><* can also provide a mini eyelift.

Ah_BeA
03-27-2005, 04:43 PM
Ah bea - do you use contacts? If so, that's why. I've never had any problems =p

haha yeah at the time i wore contacts, then i got an infection and stopped wearing it. My friend suggested the idea of the whole tea bag, next day later i went to an optomoligist my optometrist recommended and said dont ever do the tea bag thing again because it actually brings infections.

But thanks for letting me know about the whole contact thing- kekeke, i only wear glasses now so maybe it wont be as bad? :rolleyes:

mikazuki
03-27-2005, 06:28 PM
To reduce swelling under the eye try a frozen bag of water or one of thoes eye gel pouches you stick in the freezer.

To reduce a dark coloring you could always opt to buy and use a concealer (typically lemon yellow in color). What I do is simply use an ivory foundation which I also use on the bridge of my nose then allow to dry before applying my normal color foundation over it. I apply a darker foundation along the sides of my nose to give my nose a more narrow appearence.

But just remember, for swelling the best thing outside of rest is a nice cold compress.

prplefrost
03-28-2005, 06:11 PM
I use this stuff thats light reflecting powder...works pretty well for me

Esmeraude_Chiba
03-31-2005, 02:00 AM
ive heard preparation H (as odd as it sounds) helps as well.

I havent tried it though. lol

joshumz
03-31-2005, 02:25 AM
But thanks for letting me know about the whole contact thing- kekeke, i only wear glasses now so maybe it wont be as bad? :rolleyes:

Yeah...I do it often after I have cryfests, I'm always okay XP

Devi Dark Wolf
04-06-2005, 11:41 PM
Yeah, I have bags under my eyes due to lack of sleep, but it's also a genetic thing where I always look like I haven't slept in years. LOL. Gaara'd look more like me than have eyeliner eyes if he hasn't slept!

Anyway, thanks for the concealer techniques!

But I'm wondering if this works also if you have more like... sunken eyes...

Devi

Lily-chan
04-11-2005, 01:40 PM
About the teabags, they work just like the cold compress, 'cept they smell nice, so if you want to keep that nice smell, try putting plastic wrap over your eyes, then the tea bags, keeps away infections, and still smells nice. (Cucumbers are in the same boat I'm pretty sure.)

Another use for cooled tea is self tanning. lol, crazy I know. Just make sure to use several teabags in one cup water, cool and rub on with a paper towel, it makes you look slightly more colored, and is great for your skin, with green tea at least.

Nevernaut
04-11-2005, 02:17 PM
ive heard preparation H (as odd as it sounds) helps as well.

I havent tried it though. lol

It works, actually.

Preperation H is a tissue shrinker, and the tissue on your bum is the same as under your eyes.

Just don't get it in your eyes.