PDA

View Full Version : AC4 - Mary Reed/James Kidd cosplay help

maskedrose
03-31-2014, 03:47 PM
Hi All!

I am looking for advice on patterns and fabric for Mary Reed. I am stumped especially on the jacket because of the leather work (possibly leather?).

I have a pattern that I believe will work for pants, but everything else I am at a loss.

If you know any Mary Reed/James cosplayers, links to their pictures/profiles would be appreciated as well!

Thanks!!!!!
Reference: http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131126060422/assassinscreed/images/9/98/AC4_Mary_Read.png (http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131126060422/assassinscreed/images/9/98/AC4_Mary_Read.png)

cactusmomma
04-09-2014, 09:44 PM
The way that the jacket never changes in wrinkling throughout the game makes me wonder if it's a hide of sorts. The scuffing on the elbows shows no fraying either, so it very well could be a leather. You can find some fairly good deals on ebay for that sort of thing.. but unless you're willing to spare a pretty shill for it, or don't have the tools to go that route, you could get away with a sateen or gabardine for the olive color and a damask for the finer bits of the coat. With the shirt, a linen lookalike and some Joann's coupons will easily get you through that much.

CosplayDiddly
04-17-2014, 11:12 AM
I am planning to use Simplicity sewing pattern #4923. Awkwardly enough, it is a mans pattern but considering Mary is wearing mens clothing, it should be perfect. The jacket pattern has 3 duvets, but its easy the leave them out and close up the seams. I was worried there would be awkward unnecessary seams, but on a reference of the back, I found there are two seams that run over the dark grey leather on the bottom of the jacket, but the grey leather detail on the top/ shoulders covers it (difficult description sorry XP i can send you a reference photo if needed). So maybe you could follow the points the duvets make with some scissors all the way to the shoulders, and THEN put the detail on and sew the shoulders together? For fabric, I've tested dye on suede and came up with a nice yellow recipe that might be a little light, but im going to blame that onmyself for not letting it soak properly. I get excited and impatient XD. You'll have to use the rougher side of the suede and not the smooth side for texture reasons, and i used an off white kind of eggshell suede, but maybe if you used a very light brown,it would be a little darker. I'm going to use muslin to map out the grey leather details as its very cheap, and pin to see if it looks alright. Please take into consideration that i haven't actually sewn together the pattern and i might have overlooked something when reading the instructions. Hope this helps! :) i also have like a million references if you need them

tasukigirl
04-25-2014, 08:25 PM
Hi, are you still puzzling through this one? I'm going to be working on my costume write-up soon, if you're interested. Most of my photos are posted to FB (www.facebook.com/TasukigirlCosplay) if you want to check it out.

CosplayDiddly
05-14-2014, 10:56 AM
Would you ever consider sellingyour custom fabric?