PDA

View Full Version : Advice for eye makeup?

Xanthe Kelsylva
04-25-2004, 01:17 PM
Ok, normally I wear glasses and therefore don't bother with eye makeup. But for the masquerade, I need to use some kind of makeup to highlight my eyes since I'll be on stage without my glasses on. But the problem is, my vision is so bad that once I take my glasses off I have trouble applying eye makeup. Plus I'm very inexpirienced with it. Any advice for how to correctly apply eye makeup?

Senko-chan
04-25-2004, 06:57 PM
You could always wear eye contacts.

Ffiferoo
04-25-2004, 07:27 PM
Well I'm not sure how you feel about contacts, but I know makeup got a lot easier for me when I got them. Different people have different views on them though, and they can be expensive depending on what you get, etc., so as far as not being able to see too well, the only advice I can give you is to get really damn close to the mirror.

Stage makeup isn't really that difficult, just get some good eyeliner and a little eyeshadow and it should be fine. Applying eyeliner is an acquired skill, so if you haven't done it that much, I'd suggest asking someone else to do it for you, as long as you won't freak out about someone else with a pointy instrument near your eyes. Shadow is pretty easy, powder is the easiest and it stays on pretty well, so I'd just go with a color that compliments you but isn't too loud, unless of course loud eyeshadow goes with your costume. Just get one of those little sticks with the round sponges on the end and it should be sufficient, they come with the eyeshadow sometimes. Hope that helps a bit^^.

procrastinator
04-25-2004, 08:28 PM
I'm like you... I wear glasses all the time! I do however have a pair of contacts and they come in very handy when it comes to cosplay, not only because you can see to apply makeup (you can always sit really close to the mirror, which is what I do anyway,) but you look much more awake.
When a glasses wearer isn't wearing their glasses, they are prone to squinting. (Just look at my gallery for proof... I wasn't wearing glasses that day, but I wasn't wearing contacts either... and my eyes look really funky.)
Anyways, if you don't want to spend the time, effort, and money, to get contacts, what I would reccomend is dark eyeliner and dark mascara, because under the bright lights it will make your eyes look bigger. Not too dark though, then you will look goth.... yeah. restraint.
I ramble.

Ffiferoo
04-25-2004, 08:41 PM
Well black eye makeup in moderation isn't usually too bad. I do stage crew for my school drama company and most of the actors use black eye makeup for the shows. I find it only really looks bad if you put on way too much or if your mascara is lumpy.

inertia
04-26-2004, 11:33 AM
I third the contact lenses recommendation. My vision is also so poor that it's nearly impossible to apply ANY makeup without correction -- I'm so nearsighted that I have to read books by holding them 2 inches away and moving the page back and forth to see the lines. ^^; If I didn't have contact lenses I wouldn't try eye makeup. The problem is that makeup not only looks different depending on distance but also photographs lighter than it really is, and if you can barely see yourself in the mirror when you're applying it, you won't know how much to use. And you won't be able to check it by putting your glasses on either because the lenses will distort the image.

If you can't get contacts for whatever reason, you should probably just ask a friend to do the makeup for you. If it was one of my friend with this problem I'd be more than happy to help out so don't be afraid to ask.

mikazuki
04-26-2004, 03:09 PM
I wear both contacts and glasses. Contact lens are WAY cheaper then glasses. I paid $65 for the exam and $125 for the lens. Since they are gas perms (I'm nearsighted with an acute astigmatism) I won't need to change them monthly like soft "monthly" lens.

Senko-chan
04-26-2004, 03:46 PM
If you really dont want to get contact lenses as I suggested before, you could always take off your glasses and get someone to put the make-up on for you, but if I were you I'd just get the contacts.

Genki Panda
04-26-2004, 06:57 PM
For eyeliner colours you could also go with a dark brown (in the Ben Nye brand it's called "Character Brown"). This gives your eyes definition without being in your face. If you have dark hair (or the character you're cosplaying wears eyeliner) is the only time you should use black eyeliner.

And I agree with the votes of contacts (although I'm personally all for the soft disposables, but that's just my personal preference). It makes life much easier when applying make-up. I'm severely near-sited (my prescription is like a -7 or -8) like a few other stated and my contacts just make my life easier. It's nice being able to see at all angles ^_~.

So yeah... um, for advice on how to apply... I can give you the stage tips =/... since if I'm reading it write you'll be on stage. I'll do a diagram and post it in a bit ^_^. It's hard for me to explain without a visual, lol!

*huggleness*

EDIT: Kay, did a quick, two-minute sketch in Paint. Sorry for the crude drawing ^^;. And this is only for basic lining.

I gave directions for lining a female's eyes for stage. For men it is pretty much the same thing, but usually the bottom line is begun on the center of the bottom lid instead of the inside of the eye. If you have any questions (or need better pictures or descriptions) just let me know ^_^.

Er... and if you can't see the pic I'll upload it as a different file type ^^;. Currently it's a PNG file.