PDA

View Full Version : manga in other languages

nekochan
11-20-2002, 08:55 PM
has anyone read manga in other languages besides japanese and english? i was just wondering if you thought the translations were better or worse in other languages. the chinese Love Hina manga was pretty good though the english ones were very good too.. my friend goes online for translations. what do you guys prefer??

Rosiel
11-20-2002, 09:15 PM
I read a lot of mangas in French, and what annoys me the most is that I tend to find a number of spelling mistakes in them. X__X The translations are generally good though so I won't complain...

Umi
11-20-2002, 09:17 PM
My cousin went to Mexico and bought a MKR manga. I wouldn't say it was any better than the English translation but it was definately a lot funnier.

I dunno there is something about Hikaru saying "Ay Caramba!" that is funny beyond words.

nekochan
11-20-2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Umi
My cousin went to Mexico and bought a MKR manga. I wouldn't say it was any better than the English translation but it was definately a lot funnier.

I dunno there is something about Hikaru saying "Ay Caramba!" that is funny beyond words.

LOL!! i can't even IMAGINE that!!

aeva
11-20-2002, 09:39 PM

XD That really does make me laugh.

I own some German Digimon comics. Ish funny. Poorly drawn, but funny. I love seeing their attacks. "Kleine Flame!!" "Kleines Feuer!" "Rotes, heisses Machinengewehr!" "Blitzpfote!" It's so funny when Yama gets mad.... "WAAAAAAS?!" And Daisuke getting all ugh over Hikari... "Sie hasst mich....! Sie hasst mich! Ich habe ihre Liebe verloren. Sie hasst mich. Das habe ich nicht verdient!"

nekochan
11-20-2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by aeva
XD That really does make me laugh.

I own some German Digimon comics. Ish funny. Poorly drawn, but funny. I love seeing their attacks. "Kleine Flame!!" "Kleines Feuer!" "Rotes, heisses Machinengewehr!" "Blitzpfote!" It's so funny when Yama gets mad.... "WAAAAAAS?!" And Daisuke getting all ugh over Hikari... "Sie hasst mich....! Sie hasst mich! Ich habe ihre Liebe verloren. Sie hasst mich. Das habe ich nicht verdient!"

oh! have you seen dragon ball z in german?? my friend told me that the kame-hame-ha is translated into "POWER OF THE ANCIENTS!!!!!!!!" hehe... i thought that was so cool and yet so funny at the same time :D

aeva
11-20-2002, 10:10 PM
>.> I don't watch/read Dragonball Z. But yeah. Anime is huge in Germany, apparently. I've seen the German Digimon dub, and it scares the crap out of me. I want to CRY when I hear Patamon's voice. It has scarred me for live. ::quivers in fear::

nekochan
11-20-2002, 10:12 PM
hehe that's so cool though. patamon's english voice wasn't that great either!! too squeaky!! then again.. digimon gave me a headache after two years. ::sweatdrop::

Little-Suki
11-21-2002, 04:55 AM
Yep!There's sometimes the anime dubs that just get too boring.

SleepingKirby
11-21-2002, 10:20 PM
manga comes in English?!? :p I have like one english manga. The rest are Chinese. *mental note, gonna need new book self soon.*

nekochan
11-21-2002, 10:45 PM
really? ohh go to borders.. the one at northridge mall if you live in LA has a HUGE manga selection!! it's like.. one or two walls fulL the last time i checked!!

SleepingKirby
11-23-2002, 06:30 PM
eek, northridge!!! Too far drive, nothing there, don't wanna go!!! Besides, I prefer San Gabriel. :p

Kurenai
11-28-2002, 09:40 PM
Lessee...before manga was a big market or even existed here in the states (I think I was like 12 or 13), I went up to Montreal and bought myself most of Sailor Moon and half of Magic Knights Rayearth in french because I was so excited to find manga ^_^ I picked up some Trigun (the new pretty color one) and Lost Universe, as well as Saint Seiya in Italy...(it was SOOOO CHEAP there) and I found myself a spanish dubbed tape of Lain. It's fun to watch : )~

Scarlet Phoenix
11-29-2002, 10:07 PM
When I went to Montreal last summer, I picked up a sailormoon Manga in french. I don speak French too well, though, so it looked even cornier than normal. But the manga was of so much better quality than the English ones! The cover of the french one was light blue and had a beautiful picture on it, but the English cover of the same story was copied so badly it came out purple! oy-la, what a pain

Ceres86
12-03-2002, 04:23 PM
Yes, my stepdad bought me volume 8-12 Sailor moon manga in korean. The thing I hate about it is that sometimes it leaves stuff out and I see mistakes in it. An example would be in beginning of volume 11, they are celebrating Minako and Makoto's bday but in the korean one, its just Minako, no mention of Makoto having a part in it. Other than the very few mistakes in it, all translation is correct. But I would have to say I like the korean version better than the english version being that it holds the pages better and it comes with a color artwork and the pages are not like xerox paper.

tamahomegurl
12-05-2002, 08:07 AM
I like the chinese versions of the mangas...it's almost identical to the japanese but sometimes they tend to add more words than they really should to complete a thought, sentence, etc...

it's pretty cool though because i think both languages are a tad similiar...that's why i can actually read some of the japanese ones because they kinda look like chinese characters...just a little bit though...

SleepingKirby
12-06-2002, 12:39 PM
You'll be surprised how different it can be between japanese and the chinese stuff (has the same issues of mangas in different languages). But... it's sweet being multilingual all the same. :D

KitsuNessa
12-06-2002, 02:38 PM
My friend is from Belgium so she got me Fushigi Yuugi manga in French. I uderstood it just fine, and it seemed translated just fine. My only gripe was the non-laminated paper cover; it got beat up so quickly. It was also about the same price as the Japanese language manga.

Garuda_Aiacos
03-16-2003, 10:21 AM
Many Malaysian company are releasing certain titles in the Malay language. Some of authorized, some are not. :(

I had bought titles like Saint Seiya (Pahlawan Seiya), Ah! My Goddess (Oh! Dewi) and 3x3 Eyes on my trips to Kuala Lumpur which unfortunately, the place to get the best range of Mangas translated into Malay (thus the reason why I only got 1 or a few manga from each titles). I had also saw titles like DragonBall Z, Cat Eyes, Chibimaruko, Judo Expert and others that didn't interest me at that time while in KL or Malacca or Johor.

Doraemon is also released there (and reprinted at least 3 times already) but since it had been imported into Singapore, my Bro managed to get almost every issues.

I understand that in Indonesia, certain manga had also been released in Bahasa Indonesia (similar to Malay but Dutch influenced; Malay is English/Spanish influenced).

Singapore also get Manga in English Language by local companied but it get released very slowly (some titles like Evagelion follows the release of its US conterpart; usually 1 issue behind). Manga translated into Chinese is wide-spread though since it get printed by local companies or imported from Taiwan or Hong Kong and had been around as long as I can remember.

Freya
03-18-2003, 11:48 AM
Hehe, my first manga purchase was Sailor Moon vol 1 and like the idiot that I was when I was 12, I thought it was in Japanese but it was Chinese.

Most of my manga are in Japanese but I've got the lonely Chinese one sitting in the corner; thank goodness for translations.

yayahan
03-18-2003, 12:18 PM
Nyao, about the only manga I can understand is in Chinese. I'm working through Fruit Basket at the moment *_*.. From what I can tell, the Chinese translations are usually dead on while the English ones have problems getting the Asian mentality across.