PDA

View Full Version : Dealers Room

Nagii
04-28-2004, 09:14 PM
Does anyone have an idea what the price of a Anime DVD boxset in the dealers room?

YukiPhnx
04-28-2004, 10:18 PM
it all depends on how much each dvd costs. and which boxset you're talking about. because some r bigger and more expensive than others

Nagii
04-29-2004, 04:06 PM
Well I'm looking for 3 DVD sets- Weiss Kreuz Gluhen, Fruits Basket and Pretty Guardian SailorMoon ^^

Lafiel
04-29-2004, 06:28 PM
White Cross Gluhen is only avalible on HK dvd or Fansub dvd.

Fruits basket doesn't have a box set but is approx$35-$45 per volume.

As for SailorMoon, If your talking live action it also is only availible on HK or Fansub, as for the Anime series.. the 1st and 2nd season have a box which is about $140-160CND (it has 8 disc).

Nagii
04-29-2004, 08:47 PM
they don't have HK or fansubs in the dealer's room?

Tamer Brad
04-29-2004, 11:28 PM
they don't have HK or fansubs in the dealer's room?

No. Counterfeit/bootlegs were banned from AN. If you want that kind of thing, go to Pacific Mall.

nuriko001
04-30-2004, 12:01 AM
well.. you konw.. you can't really say that.. there is a lot of counterfit stuff. that looks real..

Kia
04-30-2004, 01:26 AM
Either go to Pacific Mall for that stuff or wait until CN Anime in August. I don't believe they have any sort of ban on bootlegs there, as I always seem to find bootleg soundtracks there for much cheeper than the legit cd's at Anime North.

Lafiel
04-30-2004, 01:50 AM
If bootleg stuff is getting through they should have someone in charges of the dealers room who not only can contact the companies to come in but also knows the difference between legit and non legit.. or at least have someone in the exhibitions staff that does and can do a routine check during the con.

To be honest if someone wants to be cheap then thats fine cause they probably won't fork out the cash for legit.. but don't be ignorant, it kills me when they think that the 3 disc .hack dvd box set they got for $20 with chinese/english subs is some limited edition version..
*gah*
Got in an little debate with someone when they were bragging about it to 15th floor store last Anime north.. I politely pointed out that it wasn't the legit release and he proceeded to call me a liar... well I don't take kindly to being called a liar :P Not that I freaked out on him, but lets just say I was firm.

Chosuke
04-30-2004, 08:24 AM
I remember a few boxsets of reasonable size being from 60-80 dollars.
The larger ones were more expensive then that..
The starter-set DVD's in a box with T-shirts were around 20-30.

CN is bootleg central.
I remember them seeing me in my Ryoma costume and trying to sell me bootleg PoT DVD's for 15$ each.
Just from looking at them it was easy to tell they were bootleg,and that the translation was probably horrible.

Plus, I have all the available seasons in boxset I got from Vancouver xD
Legit and not HORRIBLY expensive.
80$ a Season.. 5 DVD's a season.

neko rinchan
04-30-2004, 12:47 PM
speaking of the pacific mall... if one was visiting toronto, how would they get to the pacific mall?

Catboi Blues
04-30-2004, 03:37 PM
Most conventions don't allow the selling of bootleg merchandise anymore. One thing about Sailor Moon though, if you're going to buy that, make sure you get it soon as Sailor Moon is no longer in production in North America anymore.

Lafiel
04-30-2004, 03:40 PM
speaking of the pacific mall... if one was visiting toronto, how would they get to the pacific mall?

Its in markham...
Steeles and Kennedy :)

angelcosmos
04-30-2004, 11:39 PM

Like what Lafiel said, "Steeles and Kennedy." ^_^ But if you're taking the ttc, go to Finch Station and take the Steeles bus (I'm not sure if it's west or east, I can't remember) til it reaches Kennedy. I think you can get off at the Petro-Canada gas station and just walk across the street to get to Pacific's *small* parking lot. =P Aiya, I hate going to Pacific during the weekend, finding a parking spot is a pain in the ass.

*tip* Never make the left turn on Kennedy's traffic light, as it takes forever.... :untrust: Not to mention, the people who parks their cars underground and the massive car lineup is annoying. ;_;

lainey
05-01-2004, 09:32 AM
yeah if you're driving there...

go early because you won't find a parking spot otherwise >_<

yeeeeah i get my bootlegged stuff from pmall...i haven't had a problem quality wise.

quick question though...

how much do you think an artbook is in the dealer's room? i'm looking for chobits and full moon wo sagashite

Mage
05-01-2004, 02:19 PM
I don't know about those particular artbooks, but the cheapest I've seen an artbook at AN was $40 (and I think that was by the time Sunday rolled around...) and the bigger, boxed and hardcover artbooks are around $160-$200.

As for bootleg stuff...AN's security patrols the dealer's room on a regular basis, but they can't find everything. If you spot bootlegs and stuff, you should report it to one of the security volunteers at the dealer's room doorways. CN occassionally makes a big deal out of busting a dealer, but since they're more interested in the money the dealers are paying for tables, rather than whatever the dealers are selling, there isn't any sort of bootleg control going on. >_>;

lainey
05-01-2004, 03:04 PM
aie aie so i should stick to ebay for artbooks mm?

Nagii
05-02-2004, 01:44 AM
What I am wondering about the box sets say these:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008G8P9/qid=1083476505/sr=1-10/ref=sr_1_10/103-8560045-3701420?v=glance&s=dvd
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008QSBA/qid=1083475966/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-8560045-3701420?v=glance&s=dvd

Will prices be simliar or be higher? And if so higher how much?

KusanIvy
05-02-2004, 05:09 PM
Hmmm if the original list price for Weiss is $99 then I'd say you're probably looking $100 (if not a little more) for the set. But then again you may find it cheaper. It all depends on what dealers are there and how nice they are. Some may already have it discounted and some may cut you a deal if you bargain (say if you buy two series at once or something).

I saw the Saiyuki "boxset" last year - I think it was $30-40 then too but I can't remember. You do realize though that it's not really a boxset right? It only includes Vol 1, a Saiyuki T-shirt, and a box big enough to hold the remaining volumes. Which is part of the reason I'm sticking to my fansubs until all the volumes are released - then I'm going to buy the complete boxset.

Nagii
05-02-2004, 06:24 PM
Grr. I'm writing a list of things I want and are trying to put down figures on how much it's gonna cost. Hmm..not knowing of how much it's gonna cost is quite difficult.

YukiPhnx
05-02-2004, 10:43 PM
which is why i'm bringing a lot of money so i'm prepared to buy what i like.

Tamer Brad
05-02-2004, 11:45 PM
Planning for purchases at AN is pointless. Impulse buying is unavoidable :D

Kia
05-03-2004, 09:14 AM
LOL I agree. Besides, the only way I think we'll find a breakdown of exactly what everything will cost is if we had a dealer wandering around the boards, but if there are then none of them have spoken up yet. ^_^

... a dealer wandering the boards .. is it just me or does that sound wrong?

Mage
05-03-2004, 01:40 PM
I'm not a dealer, but the boyfriend is, so I just asked him. Estimated cost for the Saiyuki v.1 + t-shirt box is $30-40...probably $35. He works for EK Trading. ^_^ Dunno about the Weiss box, but they did have it last time.

Amy the Yu
05-03-2004, 04:06 PM
Although AN's convenient and all that, I would still recommend Ebay for things like artbooks or DVDs (or just about anything that normally retails for over $30-40). Although, quite often, if you buy more than a couple items, you can bargain with the dealers into giving you a pretty nice discount.

Not all artbooks cost THAT much at AN, but the only cheap ones are the American released ones. There were GW artbooks for $10 last year. It's cheap and official and got pretty pictures, but not a desirable as the Japanese imports. Still, since last year's guests was GW-filled, the artbook ended up as a cheap yet pretty autograph book (thought I got my autographs on stuff I brought just for the occasion). XD Too bad a lot of the fans ended up waiting in line for so long and never got in.

AN's sooo not bootleg proof. They probably would like to be, but every year, there's a dealer selling anime posters. The laminated kind. As a warning, if you're looking for legit anime posters, don't buy laminated ones. They're ALL BOOTLEG from Taiwan.

For con first-timers, I recommend going anime shopping with someone well versed in anime merchandaise. Most of the people that have posted w/ advice on this thread are probably more than worthy of bugging about bootleg identification if you can find and recognise them at the con.

I personally like the dealers who have boxes/baskets of random anime trinkets. I love digging around a pile of randomness for a long time trying to find something fun for a good price. ^_^

Minakolabelle
05-03-2004, 04:18 PM

That all depends on the person and weither you have a budget or not. My group of friends and I always make lists of what we want and stick to them, any inpules items cuts into food money. We use to hold anime over food, but like going a whole weekend on just a cup of mr. noodles or a hamberger isn't a good thing.

Planning in my eyes are a good thing, espically when it comes to how much cash you wanna bring. The ABM lines at AN are crazy, and I refuse to waste all that time getting more money and waiting in line to get back into the dealers room. Even with planning you can add in a certin dollar amount in for impulse items, but even with those items you can get them for a hell of a lot cheeper off ebay then you can at a con.

As for the box sets, expect to pay $120+ for a full box set and $40-50 for a vol.1 dvd plus a box for the set. I've only causally looked over the dvds at cons sense I can get all the series I want on dvd at home for cheeper, so i can only give you estimates on the prices because I've only causally looked.

Nagii
05-03-2004, 07:20 PM
The first thing I am hitting is the dealers room, need to buy stuff before someone else does >.> I would buy things on Ebay if I was aloud...however I was kinda in ebay debt once and my parents won't let me anymore. ;-;

YukiPhnx
05-04-2004, 12:07 AM
lol. i've nvr bought anything online cuz my parents just don't allow it >_____<. i'm only going to buy certain merchandise if it's cheaper than wat is sold at pacific mall. cuz their bootleg stuff is jus so cheap. hehe, my parents sell a couple of bootleg anime

Nagii
05-05-2004, 09:40 PM
Toronto is too far to go to pacific mall every weekend...besides Have you seen the gas prices O_O;

Ryukka
05-05-2004, 10:36 PM
aie aie so i should stick to ebay for artbooks mm?

Last year I was almost broke and wanted to buy the FFX artbook... it was 60 and he was going to sell it to me for 35, but I only had 28 -_-; so he said if I had more money the next day, he'd still give it to me uber cheap.. but then someone bought it *cries*. So, sometimes you can get good deals on art books there~

angelcosmos
05-05-2004, 11:29 PM
What I am wondering about the box sets say these:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008G8P9/qid=1083476505/sr=1-10/ref=sr_1_10/103-8560045-3701420?v=glance&s=dvd
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008QSBA/qid=1083475966/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-8560045-3701420?v=glance&s=dvd

Will prices be simliar or be higher? And if so higher how much?

I'm not sure if it'll be similiar or higher in the dealer's room. It depends on the popularity. Also, I remember last year my cousin told me about buying x-amount of dvds and save more. So what he did, was split the cost with another fellow dvd-collector. ^_~

Have you tried searching at Amazon.CA (http://www.amazon.ca)? It won't be cheaper as it's just changed into CDN currency BUT you'll get free s&h. ^_^ I buy my gns there but I'm going to wait after AN to see if I can get a better deal. *cries* $1 USD ==> $1.37 CDN it used to be 4-cents cheaper. hahaha I know it's not really a big deal, but I want to get CCS boxset 2 and possibly Peach boxset.

I'm mainly going to check the dealer's room for graphic novels. I heard that Confidential Confession and Petshop of Horrors are good. Needs to move onto new gns now. Has anyone read Clamp's XXXHolic and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle gns? They're not published by Tokyopop so I'm a bit worried of the translation and graphic novel quality, you know? I can't find any info on the net whether it's done right-to-left or flipped left-to-right. :waaaah:

Nagii
05-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Does anyone know if there is a shortage of tickets? Like is there a limit. My Dad wants to know if there is anyway the tickets would run out and how big lines are -.-;;

Minakolabelle
05-08-2004, 11:26 PM
shortage of tickets as in a certian no. of regstrations at the con?

becuase there is never a limit on that, that I know of.

heki-chan
05-09-2004, 03:01 AM
ya like minako said, there isnt really a limit to the tickets id ont think since AN is a medium sized convention :)

tho the lines CAN get quite massive. 2 hr wait maybe at some points.

Kilala
05-11-2004, 09:02 PM
:bigcry: I wish I could go to the pacific mall! My aunt told me about it a while ago, and Ive been wanting to go since. The only problem is that I live an hour and a half - 2 hours away from TO, and I havent got my G1 or anything yet. Even then I still couldnt get to TO, I'd have to have a guardian/my parents go with me............unfortunatly*lol.
Plus I don't have anyone else that could drive me either, because my parents don't like driving to toronto.

So unfortunatly, AN really is my only source for anime DVDs. I havent found any other stores that sell anime DVDs.

:heart: Kilala :heart: