PDA

View Full Version : The New Look of the Forums

Anele
04-28-2004, 10:27 PM
(Friendly constructive criticism alert XD)

Hi Kyle. ^_^ Just wanted to say a few things about the new look of the forums. Although it is great that you are trying out new looks for the site, the new layout is somewhat average. With the new appearance of the columns, the light purple backgrounds, the purple link highlights, and the light purple font (you really like purple, dontcha? hehe), it makes it somewhat hard on the eyes (mostly because it is a bit bright). Just looking at the "Current Users Online" list with its new colors and everything makes it seem like I'm looking at a black and white blur almost. XD And the text links in themselves look a bit weird too...

I may be wrong, so no worries. Just posting some friendly constructive criticism. ^_^

Ami Yuy
04-28-2004, 11:32 PM
*Begin Disclaimer* I know things are not done yet, so if anything I say touches on something that will be done later, just ignore it. ^_^ *End Disclaimer*

I like it, esp the simple text links to the rest of the site on the top menu bar! I was so happy to see that! The dropdowns on the mouseover were driving me insane! I'd go up to press refresh or stop or something on my browser and my computer (slow as it is) would lag cause the dropdown would have to, well, dropdown because I'd passed over it with my mouse.

For the forums though, I was wondering...
Would you consider doing a seperation between all the Costume Discussion forums and reorganizing a bit? It gets kind of long and tedious to have to read all of those titles, and it seems redundant to have to put "Costume Discussion" in front of 7 different forums. I understand why you did it as you did, but...eh.

Here's my organizing idea:
General Cosplay:
(no particular order)
General Cosplay Chat
Introductions
Site Help
Cosplay Newbies
Masquerade/Skit Discussion
Crossplay
Seeking Cosplayers

Costume Disscussion:
(In a particular order)
General Costume Help
Costume Critique
Anime and Manga
Video Games
J-Rock/J-Pop
Other Costumes
Props and Accessories
Wigs and Hair
Make-up Technique

For the links, I like how they are highlighted in dark purple on mouseover, however, it's hard to know that they are links beforehand. I like to link words within my posts so that I'm not cluttering with long urls or extra text set aside as a link, but when I tried that today, I barely even realized there was a link there. Maybe changing the color of linked text to make it lighter would help?

I really like the re-working of the photo gallery. Especially the front page! It matches the rest now! Yay! Lol, I'd go there and be like...is this even part of the same site? Wai! When you sign in it doesn't redirect to the front gallery page anymore! *hugs* That has bothered me for the longest time!

Anyway, I still have some issues with that front page:
1) There is no link to a sign-in option.
2) When I'm logged in, there is no link to My Gallery.

Do you ever update the main page of the site?? Before I used to come to the forums all the time I thought that updates were few and far between. I bet some people who use only the photo galleries may think the same. For example, I might still think that the Cosplay Picnic ones were missing (if I didn't see it on the sidebar of the Photo Gallery index). What about even a small message saying: "Site undergoing a facelift, expect some changes around here." ^_^ Lol, you get the idea.

Overall, I'm liking it so far! The Classifieds were a great touch. I can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve for us!

Thanks once again for all the awesome work!!

duck
04-28-2004, 11:34 PM
The only thing that makes my eyes squirm are the instances of white text on lilac background.

Otherwise, I think it kicks ass!

Anele
04-28-2004, 11:56 PM
*shrugs* I guess people like it... ^^;;

Eriol
04-29-2004, 05:57 PM
I like the softer purple colors. The old colors were loud and made the text/color contrast very high.

KaineMaxwell
04-29-2004, 06:32 PM
I like the softer colors myself. Nice work!

Chiri
04-29-2004, 06:35 PM
Yes, I think I like this layout very much ;P

AgentSakur9
04-29-2004, 07:03 PM
We likes the Purple! Purple Rocks ME! I was all O_O last night and thought I was dreaming. ha ha...

cutekawaii
04-29-2004, 08:00 PM
I agree about the forum arrangement. It could be a little cleaner.

Yay classifieds!!

-Nikki

CapsuleCorp
04-29-2004, 09:31 PM
I'm used to the color already after about twenty minutes...the only constructive criticism I have is that I dislike the purple-bar highlight for links (on the forum page). It reminds me too much of the annoying way people on AIM can "background" their text, and it bothers my eyes. But, hey - the rest looks nice, and double-yay on the no more dropdown menus at the top! :)

Serria
04-29-2004, 09:37 PM
I kinda like the new look. :) But I've liked all the looks so far.