PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Obi

Ambient_Blue
04-29-2004, 03:01 PM
Well, I've only cosplayed once (for Otakon 2003), and the costume was Sumire Kanzaki from Sakura Wars. Lot's of fun! I didn't notice some of the flaws until I seen photographs. The yellow obi is the problem, I was wondering if anyone could look at a quick snapshot and tell me what you think.

Basically it is giving the impression that I am...."thicker" than what I really am. I dunno if it's because it's yellow or if it was just handled wrong. I've seen pictures of Yuna's Yuna (sounds kinda funny! LOL), and her obi does not make her look the way mine does. Hers is also yellow.

I am thinking it may be a combo of the colors and the fabric I used (it was just cotton), but I really don't know. I'd like to remake the obi but I need to make sure I don't repeat the same mistake.

I only wear a pants size 7 and it surely doesn't look like it in the pics! Anyone have any good obi knowledge they could spare?

Thanks guys! :bigtu:

Sarcasm-hime
05-01-2004, 04:06 AM
Obi are intended to make the female body into a cylinder (which is the ideal shape for wearing kimono). Traditionally you're not supposed to have any definition of hips, waist, bosom etc...it's all supposed to be a smooth line so the obi doesn't wrinkle. The problem with anime/manga representations is that often they take the design and then make it more 'sexy' by making it show the figure more...which is physically impossible IRL unfortunately. A big wide obi will make your waist look thicker, no matter what you do.

That said, however, the effect here is probably due to the fact that the obi is much lighter in colour than the kimono, so it stands out more. Light colours make things look bigger, dark makes things look smaller. So that's probably why it looks that way.

Nancyboynoire
05-01-2004, 12:25 PM
Yeah my friend made a kimono and she had the same problem, the obi was white and very a pale yellow and very thick. Meanwhile the rest of it was black. She kinda looked like a bumble really, but then she went and made another one, she made the kimono itself white and she used a thinner black obi and it looked much better. Maybe instead of re-doing the whole thing, just change the colour of the obi to like a dark purple?

It's just like if you're a really thin person, it's a good idea to wear horizontal stripes. It makes your body look 'fuller' so you don't look like a coat hanger. Meanwhile if you're a wider person you should wear more vertical stripes, it makes you're body look longer, thus making you look a little thinner.

I don't really do the whole stripe thing though. I'm more of a poka-dot person. lol

Mizuho
05-01-2004, 03:39 PM
It's very cute!! Do you happen to have any more pictures?

I don't know if it's the obi itself that is wholly responsible for the illusion of width that you are talking about. One of the first things that I notice is that the shoulders slipping down your arms creates a sort of Y-shape, with two lines pointing away from your body... I think that's another thing that's adding to the "illusion", you know?

Also, with the red wrap that is sort folded over the top of her obi-- maybe you can make that a little more 'defined' on your costume, and make it a little larger... I think it would be necessary in imitating her proportions. What do you think?

Also, a very random thought... maybe the costume would look better if you added interfacing or an underrobe under the Kimono, to make the Kimono and the Obi comparable in thickness? Maybe with the thickness of the Obi, and the thinness of the Kimono material, the costume doesn't look as good and "finished" as it could... does that make sense?

I think securing the top a little more snugly would help the costume look a little more nice, but from what I remember, Sumire wears hers slightly off the shoulders, doesn't she? Overall, I do think it's a very cute costume, and please understand that I'm really fishing for ways to make the costume appear more form-flattering. Overall,I am thinking that if you were to modify other parts of the costume, the obi will become more 'friendly' with the rest of of it, and flatter your body more. Hmmm, if you have any other pictures, maybe those will help. ^^

Skullez
05-27-2004, 12:02 PM
i think it looks cool !
i think a saw a post already sayen that the obi is to make the girl look a bit cylender like. thats how it is lol! i thought the same thing when i got my obi ..i was like..it makes me look like i have no curves! but its intsnded to be like that.