PDA

View Full Version : Makeup basics for guys going that extra mile?

Venardhi
05-01-2004, 05:04 PM
Lets face it, 99% of video game and anime characters have perfect complextions, long dark feminine eyelashes and all manner of other perfection that the average, hell, even the above-average guy could never match alone.

So heres my thoughts, how about a thread, hey, this looks like a good one, for tips, tricks, techniques and whatnot else, specifically aimed to help guys who wanna step up to the plate and really knock it out of the park with their costume. Im not talking crossplayers or any of that sort, where makeup would be expected, but rather just to give a little polish to their face, because lets - face - it, some of us need it, and it certainly can make a good costume look great if done well.

Other tips on say, more prominant cheeks, sunken eyes, etc would also likely help at least someone. And not every guy is willing to sacrifice theirself on the altar of dignity. . . so to speak.

So ladies, gentlemen, have at you! Lend me (or rather, us) your secrets.

Thanks,
Devin

ShatteredSunset
05-01-2004, 06:52 PM
Never underestimate a good facial wash. Everyone's skin is different, oily, dry, normal, what have you... But if you keep it clean and exfoliated, it always looks better. Find a facial cleanser that works for you, and also a good moisturizer, preferably one with spf protection of some sort. It's both a start and a good way to make your face look nice even without makeup.

HyperrrMouse
05-01-2004, 10:34 PM
many experts recomend that men use a "bronzer" I have no idea what it is exactly, i just remember watching a segment on it on the today show and that it defenetly improved the male's appearance. As a cosplayer, you ought to emphasise your eyes, use eyeliner. Practice with the stuff first, and do not use liquid eye-liner if you are a n00b in the make-up world. many girls are also getting a thing for eye-liner on guys, so there's an added bonus.

and finaly, USE MAKE-UP IN MODERATION! when you are wearing it properly, it shouldn't look like you are wearing any. That's the point, now if you are going for a more theatrical/artsy look than by all means go way over the top.

inertia
05-02-2004, 03:07 PM
My husband's wedding day makeup would probably work for other men who want to look more polished without being obviously made-up. It wasn't anything feminine, just a little bit so he'd look better in the photos.

- a basic moisturizer
- stick concealer over his dark circles, applied gently with a brush
- powder for evenness and to prevent shine and 5 o'clock shadow, applied mostly lightly, but more heavily over his beard area

That was it. He has naturally dark lashes so there was no need to do anything to emphasize his eyes. However, for a blonde I might use a little bit of medium taupe eyeshadow (drawn on in eyeliner style, with a very small wand) to add a slight amount of emphasis. More than that runs the risk of being obvious.

We used my makeup instead of getting anything specifically for him. The powder (Christian Dior) was a *tiny* bit darker and more yellow than his natural vampire color, but no one could tell IRL and it gave him a much healthier look in photos. (This is similar to the effect of bronzer, which is usually too dark/orange for extremely pale people) There wasn't anyone at the wedding who had any idea he was wearing makeup. They just thought he looked healthy and well-rested.

archangeli
05-02-2004, 06:55 PM
If this is your first time using makeup then keeping it simple is key.

Rule # 1: You want SOMETHING on your face so that you don't look washed out in photos. Convention lighting and flash photography can make anyone with perfect skin look pale and blotchy.

Solution: As Inertia said, use a concealer to cover blemishes, redness, etc. Area's that most guys need a little bit of "covering" tend to be around the base of the nose, the outside corners of the eyes and undereye circles.

If you already have a good complexion, don't bother with foundation.
Just dust on a layer of loose powder (also called Translucent Powder) to set the concealer and you're good to go.

If you want to have a "healthy glow" then by all means invest in a bronzing powder. Basically it's a brownish-orange powder that you dust on with a blush/ powder brush to add a "sun-kissed" look. Use a good brush to get an even application and look for a product without sparkles or glitter in it (or it will look fake and glittery!)

Also, check out this thread:
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=31397

Saikolady
05-10-2004, 09:46 PM
These people pretty much have it covered but I would like to say that I am a sucker for a man in makeup lol Most men may think that it's dumb or something but HyperrrMouse was right, a lot of girls like guys with makeup. Especially us weird anime loving girls! ^_^;; Good luck and I Hope to see all you bishounen lookin' good at the cons!

Karisu-sama
05-10-2004, 11:40 PM
It's not weird for a guy to use makeup to enhance his natural appearance without actually going for that "made-up" look.

You can bet yer boots that every male actor in the movies and on TV & even those newscasters are ALL wearing makeup. Do they look like it? No - that's the "beauty" of it. :D

Me, I think a little discreet eyeliner on guys (ie; the "rock star" look, but not overdone) is waaaay sexy. ;)

Venardhi
05-11-2004, 05:27 AM
well I personally use a bit myself in everyday life, particularly stuff for my eyes. Not a whole lot mind you, and not terribly noticable, but thats not what the thread was for.

Good to know those efforts are appreciated though. =)

Rainblossom
05-11-2004, 03:37 PM
Okay, I honestly think eyeliner on guys is practically the sexiest thing ever.

NOTE!

Pirates of the Carribean.....guess who was the hottest one there....

Non other than the slurring, sashay-ing, Keith Richards idolizing, eyeliner-wearing Captain Jack sparrow himself!

Whether a little or a lot....it always looks superb if done right.

Skin wise, a little foundation and powder like the others said. And don't forget sunscreen, because sunburns hurt.

Sincerely always,
dearest Rainblossom Firemoon

ChibiRydia
05-12-2004, 10:29 AM
And before putting on ANY makeup, I recommend using a light moisturizer, and maybe eye cream if needed (I personally love Clinique's skin line).

The makeup goes on much easier and smoother, and it just plain improves the appearance of your skin!!

This goes for anyone.

Chino-San
05-12-2004, 07:01 PM
Yes curling your eye lashes would be a great way to start. Notice how the typical anime face is about maybe like a light skin tone. Having to have crossplaied a couple of times. To apply to everyday normal crossplay (lol since when is crossplay normal? anyways!) I think add some light skin colored blush....or was that powder...I dunno one of the 2!

Claireon
05-12-2004, 09:51 PM
Re: prominent cheeks and sunken eyes

Remember your basics: Light colors stick out and dark colors recede. Think of it as if you're making a painting. . . . You'd paint it lighter where something sticks out and the light hits it, and darker where it's . . . well . . . shadowed.

So to get prominent cheekbones, you'd apply a spot of a lighter color to the top (a bit below your eyes) and/or some shadow *below* the cheekbone . . . although a lot of makeup people today decry that "racing stripe" from the ear to the jaw.

For sunken eyes, you'd apply a darker shade to the eyelid and inside of the eye socket area, under the browbone.

You can experiment in front of a mirror. Pretend you're sculpting clay. It's fun! That's what's so fascinating to me about makeup; you're changing people's perceptions of 3D space simply by painting on different colors.

This page (http://www.rockyhorrorcostumelist.info/anlmkup.htm) is about Rocky Horror Picture Show character makeup specifically, but the overview is good for anyone. Look at Riff Raff's pictures in particular to see a good illustration of that sunken eye/long-range ballistic cheekbone thing in action.

Sparki
05-15-2004, 02:42 PM
Finally, guys are realizing that even if they're not crossplaying, makeup can help you work wonders with photos. I applaud you.
I agree with the above, eyeliner is hot. It also really brings out your eyes in photos, my friend is a dancer and he looks amazing with a little makeup on. Be very careful not to end up with raccoon eyes, though. ^.^;; A little bit of lip gloss can be cute, too
For base and concealer - blend blend blend! I swear, NOTHING looks worse than people who look like they're wearing a mask of a slightly off color. Don't leave an obvious line right at the jawline, but smooth it out.
Claireon has good tips on sunken eyes and prominent cheekbones; if you've never applied that kind of makeup before, I suggest having a friend show you (One who you feel is good at natural looking makeup).
If you're going to be in masq, even more dramatic makeup to define your face can help when you're on stage.

Leon
05-21-2004, 03:35 PM
I managed to find this website:
http://www.studio5ive.com/index.htm

They appear to have very good products at decent prices, just for guys. The only problem? They don't carry products for darker skin tones....

So, the basics are to moisturize, conceal, then apply a loose powder? I seriously need the help for my next cosplay, as I end up looking very sickly in my pics -- I have dark circles and lines on my face from wearing glasses so long....

Olivia
05-29-2004, 11:04 AM
Ok, well, no matter what you do, look natural. Guys in video games might have perfect complextions, they don't have smeary foundation and flakey powder.

Always use powder. ALWAYS. 'Nuff said.

Now on eyeliner, I don't know, I never thought it looked natural. I mean, well, black and dark brown are sort of obvious, unless of course you make a really really REALLY thin line riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight on your lash line. For a more natural look, go for taupe or any fleshy skin tone. I always use a shade darker than my natural skin tone for natural looking eyeliner, or a shide lighter.

I don't think any sort of shine on your lips would look right. Or any color.

Make sure your foundation matches your skin color. If your skin is between shades, go for the warmer or darker one. If it is lighter than your skin, it will make you look chalky.

For applying foundation:
-Begin with the center of your cheeks and forehead, apply foundation with a sponge, then blend toward the edge of your face to assure coverage.
-Blend outward, especially around the nose and mouth, and take care to smooth out any lines of demarcation that might have appeared.
-Take a big powder puff and use it to press powder over your base; this locks the foundation into place and helps prevent oil breakage.

And a tip I learned from a Holywood make-up book: use blush around your beard line. A soft pink will do. It keeps it looking much more natural. Guys tend to have pink-ish skin around their beard lines.

Hope any of this helps! :thumbsup:

Chino-San
05-30-2004, 12:34 AM
Some people think it is hot to wear eyeliner. If your trying to look like a girl then use shine on your lips. But...if your going to put shine on your lips and still wanna look like a guy? No way not going to work.

Leon
05-30-2004, 10:30 AM
The only way my lips are gonna have that much shine is if I eat a 2 piece from Popeye's! But, should a guy use anything on his lips to, at least, prevent a dry appearance?

I figured that eyeliner would work well for bishounen-type characters. I've never tried it before...

Chino-San
05-30-2004, 01:53 PM
The only way my lips are gonna have that much shine is if I eat a 2 piece from Popeye's! But, should a guy use anything on his lips to, at least, prevent a dry appearance?

I figured that eyeliner would work well for bishounen-type characters. I've never tried it before...

I gotta tell ya sometimes beware of eyeliner because if that thing pokes your eyes it STINGS! I think you can put on some chap stick that usually works

Olivia
05-30-2004, 02:47 PM

Vaceline or pretrolium jelly. I know I screwed up on both of those spellings -.-

Put either on 30 minutes before going out into public and wipe off. It instantly smooths out and replenishes moisture and makes your lips look great. All guys should use vaceline or pretrolium jelly.

Leon
05-30-2004, 09:58 PM
Alright! Looks like I'm gonna have to go shopping for products soon, since my sister doesnt wear makeup and my mom doesn't use concealer or foundation...plus, there's the fact that we don't have the same skin tone....

Olivia
05-30-2004, 11:31 PM
Alright! Looks like I'm gonna have to go shopping for products soon, since my sister doesnt wear makeup and my mom doesn't use concealer or foundation...plus, there's the fact that we don't have the same skin tone....

Leon, meet make-up website God: http://www.covergirl.com/

They rule, seriously. There's lots of quizzes so you can customise everything. Cover Girl rocks. :thumbsup: