PDA

View Full Version : Amano makeup

ChibiRydia
05-01-2004, 09:30 PM
Well, I have to ask.

Less than 2 weeks till myself and 2 others will be decked-out in full Amano gear.

Now for the makeup. Who has done Amano style makeup for both female and male characters, and what is a good start? I want it to look very authentic but not cheesy. You know what I mean? Please offer advice if possible.

I am horrible with applying makeup.

Characters:
Rydia
Edge
Rubicant (black face paint-I already know that part, but I have to make his eyes "glow")

Xanthe Kelsylva
05-02-2004, 06:51 PM
I suggest wearing a very pale foundation for Edge and Rydia. For Rydia I suggest glittery makeup of some sort, such as a little body glitter-- not too much, just a hint. I would also recommend a brilliant lipstick and dramatic eye makeup, as it would create more of a contrast and make the skin look paler. I've noticed that my skin looks lighter if I wear a dark lipstick than it does when I don't wear lipstick.

Don't take the drawings overly literally though-- it would look awful to try to look too much like an ink drawing. Try for dramatic, but not harsh, contrast.

ChibiRydia
05-02-2004, 07:56 PM
Thanks! I think I'll give that a whirl.

I'm out to find sparklies. From...somewhere...? Maybe Walgreens?

Dia
05-02-2004, 09:57 PM
Deeeeeefinitely get some false eyelashes. I used them on both top and bottom lids for Relm, and it made a world of difference.

ChibiRydia
05-03-2004, 07:11 AM
Do false eyelashes bother someone if they've got contacts?
Is the glue safe and all?

Oh! And I found some really cool green glitter gel with little sparkle stars in it, too. I wanna get it!

kyandi-chan
05-03-2004, 09:37 AM
Do false eyelashes bother someone if they've got contacts?
Is the glue safe and all?

Oh! And I found some really cool green glitter gel with little sparkle stars in it, too. I wanna get it!

http://www.soniasegreto.com/cosplayit/sito/cosplayITGALLERY/gallery/japan/japan/shiva.jpg

please. look at this. i want to make every costume like this! this makeup is AWESOME! i think that's how summons should look! *purrs*

Sarcasm-hime
05-03-2004, 04:48 PM
Um it's a bit over-the-top and Vegas for me..*lol*

Dia
05-03-2004, 07:41 PM
The glue is safe, as far as I know. I've been using false eyelashes for ages. Granted, I don't have contacts, but I've never gotten it in my eyes. There was a thread on false eyelashes here not long ago, where Dani posted a good instruction sheet showing how to put them on properly - you might want to check it out. It's quite helpful.

Also, I might stay away from the glitter gel, especially if it has little stars in it. You might end up looking like a 6th grader at her first NSYNC concert in the late 90's. Look for something more subtly shimmery. I recommend Urban Decay's shimmer body powders, especially Marshmallow (white), or Gimlet (green, which would work well for Rydia). They're a bit expensive, but if you can see what I'm talking about (check Ulta or Sephora) you might could find something similar.

If you do want to use glitter, don't go too heavy with it. A light dusting on the eyelids and browbone would likely suffice, and use the finest loose glitter you can find. It's a lot less gaudy.

In my opinion, Amano's designs are really classy and beautiful, and going too gaudy with the makeup could really cheapen it.

ChibiRydia
05-03-2004, 07:53 PM
I went out tonight and looked at a lot of glitter gels and stuff, and they looked....cheap. And I don't want to look like a teeny-bopper going to a concert....lol.

I have some subtle sparkly dusting powder I think I'll use, and I'll consider false eyelashes. I have naturally really really long lashes, though, so I may not need it if I get it right. Truthfully, I am a bit scared of the false lashes...I'd probably stick them onto my eyeball.

I think I'll do a test run with the Amano makeup techniques and post a pic one of these days. I welcome constructive criticism.

Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate being steered in the right direction.

Midknight
05-03-2004, 09:01 PM
Good luck on your costumes. I love Amano's work. (I'm working on a pair of Amano costumes right now)

As for false eyelashes and contacts, I wear contacts and have worn false eyelashes without a problem (though not on the bottom lid yet). It may take a few tries to get them on right but once you know how it's fairly easy. Just read the directions. ^_^

Dia
05-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Definitely do a test run - it'll really help. And I'm very biased towards false eyelashes because I just happen to like them, and have deep-set eyes, so I wear them with all of my costumes ^_^ If you decide against them, just get some good mascara. They aren't that hard to put on, though, if you practice a bit.

The dusting powder sounds like a good idea. Also, you may want to look into Revlon's SkinLights line of products. Their palest foundation is still too dark for me, so I haven't tried it, but their shimmery lotion imparts a "dewy glow" that's quite pretty. I'm dying to try the other stuff.

Best of luck, and be sure to post photos! ^_^

Hanyaan
05-03-2004, 10:39 PM
I recommend Urban Decay's shimmer body powders, especially Marshmallow (white), or Gimlet (green, which would work well for Rydia). They're a bit expensive, but if you can see what I'm talking about (check Ulta or Sephora) you might could find something similar.

Urban Decay shimmer powder is godly. I have it in Marshmallow and it looked so beautiful in pictures... (I used it for prom, and it really made me look shimmery without the tacky glitter look.)

Dia
05-03-2004, 11:09 PM
...and it smells SO GOOD... Man, I need some of that. Le sigh, I am poor.

kyandi-chan
05-04-2004, 09:29 AM
Um it's a bit over-the-top and Vegas for me..*lol*

yeah...but its so pretty...

vegas!!! viva amano