PDA

View Full Version : Cosplay Weapons Policy?

CinsAngel
05-05-2004, 12:28 AM
I'm just wondering what the policy on carrying swords at comic con. I'm cosplaying with a gorupd of gals as the Pirates Of The Caribbean and a friend might let me barrow his cutlas, but I don't want to bring it with me if its against the rules. *L* Rather not get thrown into comicon jail.
Anyone know where I can find the hallway cosplay policies for the con? I checked the website and Couldn't find anything except the masqurade rules.

Cins

ZiggyB
05-05-2004, 12:48 PM
They are pretty good about weapons, usually as long as it's not live steel and you check it, it's ok.

Actually, I think they allow live steel too. :) If it's not on the site, try sending them an email.

Reno_kun
05-05-2004, 08:17 PM
Zig's right, about weapons well as long long as it's sheathed and dun wave it around I guess it would be ok.

CinsAngel
05-06-2004, 12:41 PM
Awsome. Thanks you two:)
I'll probably toss them an email just to be on the safe side. My main concern was the cutlas I'd be barrowing IS life steel. But maybe if I just zip tie it to its sheath, it won't be an issue.
Cins

ZiggyB
05-06-2004, 01:28 PM
I think zip tieing it will make it "con safe" for Comic Con. However, I maybe confusing it with all of the other cons I've been to lately. O:) But yah, email is the safest.

dk_kaze_no_kage
05-09-2004, 11:27 PM
naw, they dun care as long as u dont take it out :P
thats like most cons, as long as its sheathed, they cant tell what its made of so they dont care

BlueLady
05-10-2004, 12:13 PM
I have friends that take live steel to comic con, it's just peace bonded. They've never been stopped. Actually last year I was staff and they ( dept leads) were getting more pissy about oversized props ( due to the fact it was crowded in the hall and people were tripping)

Yuna
05-10-2004, 12:53 PM
I talked to some people about an official weapons policy, and guess what, there is none really. What seperates Comic Con from most anime cons is that they have live securty EVERYWHERE. Not fans who want a free badge, real security guards who've gone through training and get paid mulla for it. They're all over the place.

Basically, common sense rules apply I'd assume. Keep really swords sheathed outside of photos, make sure prop guns are CLEARLY fake. If there's a problem with your weapon, security will confiscate it, so be smart about what you use and bring.

The thing about oversized props is that they conflict with SDCC's very very very strict fire code, so they aren't liked inside the Exhibitor's Hall.

BlueLady
05-10-2004, 01:25 PM
I just remember the ever growing pile of props in the staff food lounge. Somewhere there is still a FF cosplayer missing a giant sword XD. Yes San diego con is not a good place to try out the costume with the long train either

Yuna
05-10-2004, 01:30 PM
This I know, I wore Weddng Yuna there, not for very long, but I did. I'm glad I did too cause i met Sana-chan in it ^_^

Freya
05-17-2004, 04:04 PM
This I know, I wore Weddng Yuna there, not for very long, but I did. I'm glad I did too cause i met Sana-chan in it ^_^

Awww ain't that adorable?

I was able to carry my Sting Sword (and yes its a fully functioning weapon) but I had it sheathed the whole time. Someone eventually peace-bonded it but no biggie. :-)

hakutoranoin
05-24-2004, 08:52 PM
hey if you were to bring like little kunai and shuriken maybe a bo staff or two they wouldnt mind would they

L to the 3rd
06-28-2004, 02:53 PM
i got busted for carrying an unstrung bow at comic-con (for legolas). :/

FlameSniperRei
07-08-2004, 03:28 PM
They freaked out about my Yuffie (FF7) giant shirken, even though it's made out of...poster board and contact paper (I told them people hurt it, it dun hurt people - it even broke at CC last year). ~.~; They still made me tie a stupid red ribbon on it but yeah other than that they'll just make you check it in and that's it. A mere annoyance if anything.

A J
07-12-2004, 11:43 AM
Yeah they're a little inconsistent but not too bad. As long as its obviously part of a costume, they tend to leave you alone. Judy was walking around with her gimli axes and while she was in plainclothes, they hassled her a couple times about it, but while we were in our angel costumes (which go real well with the axe =D), no one bothered us.

No one told us we were a fire hazard either come to think of it and I have no doubt we were. The dealer alleys were really narrow and we couldn't even get down some of them with our wings.

Soooo, I guess PositiveSpace won't be walking around inside with her Cloud-like sword. ^^;

positivespace
07-12-2004, 12:00 PM
Awww, but the sword also works so well for strapping heavy loads onto my shoulders... you know, for all the shopping I'm going to do. ;D

I wonder if my costume's hair constitutes as an "oversized prop?" LOL

Thanks for the info, though!

AgentSakur9
07-12-2004, 07:49 PM
Yeah I had a real sword I carried around two years ago. I was stopped by a very courteous security guard and was asked to "check-in" my sword at the security booth... usually located in the SDCC Lobby. They Secured it with zip ties and made sure it stayed sheathed. They even asked me what color zip tie I wanted (they had black and white ones) so it would blend in better. It actually helped because the sword kept slipping off my back. Anyway after they secured the blade, they cut the ends off of the zip tie, so they didn't show... tied a ribbon on it and let me be on my way. The whole process took a little over 5 minutes.

I suggest zip tying the weapon yourself, that way you can make sure you have the right color to match your costume, I was lucky they had different colors that time. Make sure its secure enough so that it stays sheathed. Bring some extra just in case security wants to fasten it more, then you can get that ultra cool ribbon.

DarkBlade
07-13-2004, 03:10 PM
Last year they made me wear this obnoxious bright red plastic ribbon/tape on my lightsaber hilt, even though I had it peacebonded. I tried tucking most the red back out of sight, but then got stopped by other security folks who said it had to be prominent.

Ami Yuy
07-17-2004, 02:12 PM
Yay, there's already a thread. ^_^ I was wondering because this is my first time bringing a weapon (for that fact OWNING a weapon) to a con, so I wasn't sure.

When I registered online it said:
"If you wear a costume that includes a replica weapon, please keep it attached to the costume. Do not draw or aim it."

*sighs* I probably won't be bringing my Eowyn sword in then because it doesn't fit with the costume except for out of its sheath. ^^;; Heh, well it'll be good for the CC.com photoshoot, ne?

L to the 3rd
07-19-2004, 07:19 PM
they made me put on an obnoxiously red ribbon on my buster sword
that was made out of foam b4 >_>;

Kitty
07-19-2004, 07:46 PM
I member those DAMN red ribbons ! They made me slap a big one on my gunblade (the damn thing was made out of BALSA wood).
Then later that day I was carrying around a wall scroll and holding it like a sword after the con closed and some bull- dike security woman stopped shaun and all our friends and threatend to take it away from me and not let me come back to the con the next day .