PDA

View Full Version : Boston/Bostonian to Baltimore train mob

sephygoth
05-06-2004, 07:20 PM
Any cosplayers with blue hair or funky armor from the Boston/Providence area making a train jump?(note, armor optional) Trying to make the small existing group even bigger!...
to take over an entire car of course.
Amtrak is pretty reliable and cool at night, especially if ya hang out at the game car all night playing Triple Triad :jjacks:
So far votes are for Thursday night to arrive Friday morning.
There's also another room we would like to, ahem, aquire roomies for, it's
at the Holiday inn across the street from the con.
I know a few others thought it'd be a good idea to group up so why not
get a thread goin for that? :rolleyes:

trigunvash
05-10-2004, 04:44 PM
I assume you're taking the 10:00pm train out of Boston? I've ridden that train before, but in reverse direction Baltimore to Boston. Though I don't live in boston, I can affirm that the train ride is smooth and fun if you got other cosplayers with ya, and if you talk to the Conductor if you have a large group, I find some willing and understanding to help seperate business travellers (since the 10pm train is mostly business), but I guess it depends on how busy and full the train is, but its worth a try to talk to them.

Ravistell
05-11-2004, 01:49 PM
OMG, just joined and found the other mighty Bostone! I'll try to make it of course! Will we have the "accomodations" for ahem... \
getting into character? :untrust:IYKWIM or might that be a bad move? I drove
to a party in costume, but never like 400 miles
Nothing like a freak show traveling the rails!!! Count me in :jjacks:

why would walking into a wall,at a nudist colony, break your nose?

sephygoth
05-11-2004, 03:36 PM
[QUOTE=trigunvash]I've ridden that train before, but in reverse direction Baltimore to Boston. Though I don't live in boston, I can affirm that the train ride is smooth and fun if you got other cosplayers with ya, and if you talk to the Conductor if you have a large group, I find some willing and understanding to help seperate business travellersQUOTE]

Thanks for agreeing, trains rule all! Yeah, we did the 7hr trip before, was awsome. Some really old
lady beat this kid over the head for holding the door open for her. She
was kicked off at the next stop...
Great part about starting in Boston is that we can all snag a load of seats before others get on(like in Providence,Jersey, New York). Or snag for those getting on in those areas :cool:
holy crap Rav, looks like you caught up, new pc?

trigunvash
05-11-2004, 11:20 PM
Yeah when I was doing the reverse way going to Boston, a boat load of people got on at New York PennStation.

sephygoth
05-12-2004, 02:36 PM
that's a thought actually, if people get on at NY Penn Station look for a car with blue/purple haired cooky people. We'll do the evil save seat thing(will do for one already).
BTW Use the student ID for a good rate!

Jun_Kazama
06-10-2004, 01:14 PM
Do you know what the prices are at all from Providence? Or where I can aquire such information?
We were planning on flying, but if this is cheaper then I may be interested.
I can just sleep on the train/work on my costumes on the way there.
I also have no clue as to how to get to the con from either the airport or train station, so if there are other con people around I'd feel a lot better about it.
I'd have to check w/ who I'm going with first but traveling all night w/ a bunch of other anime fans just sounds like it would hella fun.

Plus I want to get there very early Friday morning, and the last time I tried to do that I missed my plane and ended up being really late. >_<

Are there any plans for a return trip group at all?
Any does anybody know anything about bringing luggage on the train? I will probably have two large suitcases and a bag or two with me.

trigunvash
06-18-2004, 10:07 PM
Check www.amtrak.com book tickets from the website as well.

The Amtrak Train Station in Baltimore is like a 3minute Cab ride to the Convention Center. Or you can play 1.60 for the LightRail Public Transportation to the Convention Center, get off at Pratt St. stop, the con center is right across the street.

BWI Airport is about 20-30minutes to the South of the City and costs around $20.00 cab ride.

Here are your fares:
Providence RI, Train #67 Departure July 29 @ 10:24pm (Thursnight)
Arrives Baltimore, MD July30 @ 6:10am (FriMorning)

Return Trip:
Departs Baltimore @ 10:45pm Aug1 (Sunday) Train #66
Arrives Providence @ 7:30am Aug2

$164.00 Roundtrip.

Amtrak coach seats are pretty much equal to Airline Business Class seats, they actually have legroom and you can move around and actually recline.

There's plenty of overhead space compartments for luggage.

I went ahead and did some research on airfare prices from expedia.com
TO fly from Providence it will cost 141roundtrip, however if you factor in the Hassles of flying and the distance from BWI Airport, vs. the Baltimore Train station to the Convention Center. The train is a great idea. Its not as fast as an airplane, but its not as restrictive, and its comfortable ride.

(LOL NO I don't work for Amtrak, I just like trains vs. flying).

Jun_Kazama
06-19-2004, 02:47 PM
I decided to just go up and take the train out of Boston (that way I can make sure we get on the same train as everyone else ^_^") . And I'll take the train back to Boston on the 1st.
I can't stay till 10:45 at night. I think check out time is around noon, plus I don't want to take another overnight train.

Train #67, is that the one that we'll be taking then? Cuz I wanna make reservations soon.

trigunvash
06-19-2004, 06:36 PM
Check out www.amtrak.com Its the only train leaving at 10pm (9:45pm) from boston.

From the website enter BOS and arrive at BAL

LOL Check with first above poster for times etc if you plan a group to meet up. Hope the information was helpful and wish everyone a fun trip.

sephygoth
06-21-2004, 11:11 AM
Yes! We're picking ours up at the quick track machine in the station(bos). Doesn't charge ya until you get the tickets wohoo!

We're getting the 1:07 train back to Boston using
the V818 code(a "tourist" code ) and it's unreserved coach, but we're near the beginning of the line(ie D.C.) so snaggin a seat should be easy :)
thanks to trigunvash there for the xtra info

>I'm thinkin of having the sephy get up on for the way down... :razz: <

I decided to just go up and take the train out of Boston (that way I can make sure we get on the same train as everyone else ^_^") . And I'll take the train back to Boston on the 1st.
I can't stay till 10:45 at night. I think check out time is around noon, plus I don't want to take another overnight train.
Train #67, is that the one that we'll be taking then? Cuz I wanna make reservations soon.

trigunvash
06-21-2004, 02:02 PM
Watch out on those quicktrax machines, they tend to "shoot out" your tickets. At baltimore the machine shot it out and it went flying, lol must of been a machine fluke.

Yuki Eiri
06-22-2004, 02:29 AM
OMFG Triple Triad! When i went to san fran my parentals threw out my whole stack! MY ZELL CARD! ; ; I wish Iw as from boston :/ I'm in CT... I have a complicated route to otakon.

sephygoth
06-22-2004, 02:47 PM
OMFG Triple Triad! When i went to san fran my parentals threw out my whole stack! MY ZELL CARD! ; ; I wish Iw as from boston :/ I'm in CT... I have a complicated route to otakon.

We've got more dude :) and will be trading at otakon. We'll be passing through conn on the way down. I'm gonna have to start a thread for popular along the way! Like Rhode Island,Conn, NY, penn station, Jersey. We have like 8 or 9 people so far just from Boston.

BTW Zell, my friend Rav lived in san franny for years and had my whole collection, I finally got it back like 2 years after I left it there! (she lives here now too, convnt. as you can get)

Mesoian
06-28-2004, 01:49 PM
Check www.amtrak.com book tickets from the website as well.

The Amtrak Train Station in Baltimore is like a 3minute Cab ride to the Convention Center. Or you can play 1.60 for the LightRail Public Transportation to the Convention Center, get off at Pratt St. stop, the con center is right across the street.

BWI Airport is about 20-30minutes to the South of the City and costs around $20.00 cab ride.

Here are your fares:
Providence RI, Train #67 Departure July 29 @ 10:24pm (Thursnight)
Arrives Baltimore, MD July30 @ 6:10am (FriMorning)

Return Trip:
Departs Baltimore @ 10:45pm Aug1 (Sunday) Train #66
Arrives Providence @ 7:30am Aug2

$164.00 Roundtrip.

Amtrak coach seats are pretty much equal to Airline Business Class seats, they actually have legroom and you can move around and actually recline.

There's plenty of overhead space compartments for luggage.

I went ahead and did some research on airfare prices from expedia.com
TO fly from Providence it will cost 141roundtrip, however if you factor in the Hassles of flying and the distance from BWI Airport, vs. the Baltimore Train station to the Convention Center. The train is a great idea. Its not as fast as an airplane, but its not as restrictive, and its comfortable ride.

(LOL NO I don't work for Amtrak, I just like trains vs. flying).

Hmm...::thinks of a way that anime can be shown on the train all night:: I wonder if the trains have 3 prong plugs...

trigunvash
06-28-2004, 03:00 PM
If I remembered they do. It depends if you get a car with blue seats (the remodeled ones) or Red Seats the older ones.

I just double checked they have 3 prong outlets.

sephygoth
06-28-2004, 04:22 PM
Hmm...::thinks of a way that anime can be shown on the train all night:: I wonder if the trains have 3 prong plugs...

Sweet so they do have the right outlets, any choice pix for flix? :p I only have a few dvd's but I do have the newset Tenchi ova 3(ep1-3, sub though)
Got some digi element and random Newtype stuff. Perhaps Mesoian has a library of his own? :chatah:
thanks to trigunvash again for the info...
mmmm philosophy of train travel :razz:

trigunvash
06-28-2004, 06:16 PM
Depending on how many people you get I think you might have to use headphones, I don't know if they have those headphone splitters where you can plug in 2 headphones or not. Hopefully you get a carful of anime friends.

Mesoian
06-29-2004, 01:14 PM
Sweet so they do have the right outlets, any choice pix for flix? :p I only have a few dvd's but I do have the newset Tenchi ova 3(ep1-3, sub though)
Got some digi element and random Newtype stuff. Perhaps Mesoian has a library of his own? :chatah:
thanks to trigunvash again for the info...
mmmm philosophy of train travel :razz:

If I go, I shall bring Berniece, my 500 disk CD folder of fansubs, which is filled with about 100 completed anime series.

Berniece is hungry. She craves more Naruto and Full Metal Alchemist. Chrno Crusade and Bakerstu Tenshi were not enough. ::Flees to feed the beast::

trigunvash
06-29-2004, 01:20 PM
hey dizzy how many people do you say you have already, a standard amfleet coach car holds about 80 people.

sephygoth
06-29-2004, 04:57 PM
whoa, not even close to that. We have ~7+ so far with about 6 "planning"
Not enough for the group rate at all(need 20) but I'm gonna start a general thread to let people along the way know about our band of crusading cosplayers(like conn,ny,jersey).
We'll prob see a there in the infamous morning line, heard there's a poke-tag going on *pokes computer* :p
I'm gonna try to have the Sephy get-up on,minus the greyness of hair... :untrust:
:jjacks: Looks like we're gonna have a hellava library for anime flix!

Kimba
06-30-2004, 02:18 AM
You know I'm there ((Yea, I'm a newbie, but I'm still in this carful))

7 people? Really? Because I know me, Scruffy, and Switch..gosh I'm typing my thoughts again. I hope we can watch some flicks on the train, that would be great.

However if we each get to have choices, no one can stop me from bringing some Kimba. :p

Fireflystar
07-03-2004, 02:51 AM
Is anyone leaving Thurs. morning? My friend from Boston is coming..and I hoped he could go with people headed to Otakon, but realized you all are going to be there Fri. morning =( I just don't know what to do if he showed up in the morning,because I'll be in the reg line,and I won't be able to meet him to show him where our hotel is so he can drop his stuff off.. ><
I have no idea where the train station in baltimore is, is it within walking distance from the BCC?

Gyah,I'm so happy I live in MD

sephygoth
07-03-2004, 03:33 AM
yup, we walked frm the train statoin to the bcc last year when no cabs showed up, about a mile+ 1/2 Might be bad in the rain...

Fireflystar
07-03-2004, 01:01 PM
Oh my..do you happen to know when your expected arrival time would be? Maybe I could have someone register for me..?

Do you guys usually just head from the station to the BCC?
I'm starting to think he should probably just go with all of you,since he's never been to Otakon or Baltimore before..and I'd feel safer if there was less a chance of him getting lost. ^^;

trigunvash
07-03-2004, 07:07 PM
The train is shceduled to arrive in Baltimore at 6:10AM Friday Morning.

I wouldn't walk from the station to the BCC, the train is arriving in the morning there should be plenty of taxi cabs there (about $5.60), alternatively you can take the light-rail public transportation system (downstaris from the station, follow the signs) it only cost about 1.60 for the light-rail.

Check with mtamaryland.com for schedules.
There is a lightrail train that departs Penn Station at 6:26am and it stops right across the street from the convention center (PrattStreet Stop).

sephygoth
07-03-2004, 08:42 PM
The train is shceduled to arrive in Baltimore at 6:10AM Friday Morning.

I wouldn't walk from the station to the BCC, the train is arriving in the morning there should be plenty of taxi cabs there (about $5.60), alternatively you can take the light-rail public transportation system (downstaris from the station, follow the signs) it only cost about 1.60 for the light-rail.

Check with mtamaryland.com for schedules.
There is a lightrail train that departs Penn Station at 6:26am and it stops right across the street from the convention center (PrattStreet Stop).
YES, NO WALK! you'll have to stop 10 times to eat and refuel for that kinda trip. We just had nothing to do and saw no cabs, and knew where to go Actually, Mr. Trolley brings ya to the doorstep of our hotel! HolidInn :square: we might do that too. Just have to watch out for it when going back and forth between the con :eek: squash...

trigunvash
07-07-2004, 02:54 PM
Heres the full schedule to help ya out for the train:

9:45p Boston South Station
9;50p Back Bay
10:00p Route 128, MA
10:24p Providence, RI
10:35p Kingston, RI
10:59p Westerly, RI
11:20p New London, CT
11:41p Old Saybrook, CT
12:20a New Haven, CT
1:12a Stamford, CT
2:01a Ar New York City, Penn Station - 45 Minute Stay
2:45a Depature from New York City
3:05a Newark, NJ
3:21a Metropark, NJ
3:48a Trenton, NJ
4:17a Ar Philadelphia, PA - 35 minute stay
4:52a Departure from Philadelphia
5:15a Wilmington, DE
6:10a Baltimore, MD <--ARRIVAL

There is a 45 minute stay in New York City and a 35 minut stay In Phili, the overnight train does this to actually arrive in Washington DC at a specific time. On normal trains they just stay for a few minutes then run continue.

But hope that schedule help ya out for those interested.

Mesoian
07-07-2004, 03:07 PM
Sounds good to me.

Lethardicus
07-16-2006, 03:02 AM
Nvm

*Shiva*
07-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Whoa - this is from like, 2 years ago. o_0 But we should make another one, as I'm still trying to figure out the best mode of transit from boston to balitmore thurs as well.

Lethardicus
07-16-2006, 12:11 PM
lol holy shit it is, and i didnt even notice, musta been mad late yesterday

*Shiva*
07-16-2006, 01:25 PM
lol! xD