PDA

View Full Version : Masquerade and Lip Synching?

Ayane_Eiketsu
05-06-2004, 08:32 PM
Are you allowed to lip synch to a song in a masquerade or do the rules differ from con to con?

Dany
05-06-2004, 09:24 PM
I'm not sure about the "rule" aspect of it, but I've been told that lip-synching can get really weird because the acoustics of what the audience hears and what you hear may vary a bit, which means you might not be RIGHT on cue to the audience, even if you are moving your mouth to what you hear and it seems to be matching...which makes you look like a dubbed Godzilla movie.

But if you're going for that look...well, it could be OK :)

K_Valentine
05-06-2004, 11:17 PM
You can usually. If they didn't allow it, they would have to also forbid people from pre-recording their lines to act their scenes to.

Just don't try to lip-synch at karaoke.

Ayane_Eiketsu
05-07-2004, 12:03 AM
do you think it would be a bad idea to play a song and lip synch to that. Cause the song we want to do doesn't have a karaoke version?

Xanthix
05-07-2004, 12:14 PM
For a masquerade, you could ask them to play a song and lip synch to it, but probably only if you are dancing or doing something else special during the song to display your costumes. Since in most cons you either enter a masquerade to show off costumes or a do skit, just lip-synching a song may seem too much like karaoke for the judges to allow it. It depends on the rules of the con in question.

TenkaiSei
05-11-2004, 10:15 PM
At OTAKON last year, a friend of mine very successfully lip-synched a song at the end of the skit she was in. So, I think at least that con is okay with it ^^

...espically since they won something for the skit ^__^

ZiggyB
05-11-2004, 10:44 PM
One bit of advice if you're doing this for a masquerade skit. You probably don't want to do the ENTIRE song for your skit, it can be a little boring sitting there watching a lip-sync for 3-4 minutes. Use bits of the song as part of your skit or something.

Just IMHO.

Karisu-sama
05-12-2004, 01:57 AM
It is typical - in fact, it is preferred - to pre-record Masquerade music and especially dialog, so that the audience can actually HEAR the dialog (generally there are no microphones on stage.) Of course one then lip-synchs while on stage - this includes a song you may be "singing" via lip-synch, whether the recorded voice is yours or not.

As Ziggy said, though, keeping the song "short and sweet" (1 minute at most) and doing other things in the skit as well will get you a LOT more audience appreciation and applause than wearing out your welcome past that.

Most people don't realize that most skits grow REALLY OLD if dragged out beyond 2 minutes, unless there are a LOT of big surprises and changes going on in them.

-- Karisu, who has Mad Dialog Lip-Synch Skilz. :p

Chino-San
05-12-2004, 06:48 PM
In my past experieces, I have got a better audience outcome if I sang the song. When I lip sank I felt abit akward because the auidence just sat there in silence lissening to the music. I think if you lip synch try to move around on stage abit rather than just sit there and do nothing. Just be loose and don't care.
I remember when I lip sank "She bangs" I also did the dialog as well. I didn't get much of a reaction from the audience well not as much as I thought it would. So I said screw it and my friend who was head of that show gave me a mic and I just sang William Hung like it was no tomarrrow ^_^. But these are just past experiences with me ^^. But I'm sure they'll let you lip sync it's not illegal to do that ya know?

Karisu-sama
05-12-2004, 09:20 PM
Chino-San - you DID have a mic. That makes a difference. In many instances there is no microphone available to stage performers.

And of course body language counts - don't just be a talking / singing doll.

Ayane_Eiketsu
05-12-2004, 09:24 PM
Well we have a dance coreographed with it. (Its the same one they used in their music video) But thatnks for the advice. After reading this thread we all decided to cut the song perf. time to half the song if not less than that.

Chino-San
05-12-2004, 09:45 PM
Chino-San - you DID have a mic. That makes a difference. In many instances there is no microphone available to stage performers.

And of course body language counts - don't just be a talking / singing doll.

Yes you are right on that case.

_KiDd_
05-14-2004, 09:53 PM
Yeah, at Anime Boston last April, there were a handful of skits that had some sort of lip-synching, and I didn't see anyone with microphones or anything. And I agree with what was earlier said about body language, that definately counts too. ^^

Aleathia Burns
05-18-2004, 12:25 PM
If you are doing "Real Emotion" then I say GO FOR IT!!! At the Dragon Con Masqurade you can lip-synch I am sure of it. There were some skits that were pre-recorded so it is the same as lip-synching. :jjacks: :bigtu: