PDA

View Full Version : not very familiar with make-up

Nemui Yume
05-10-2004, 11:07 AM
I want to use make-up, but the main thing is i don't have much experience with make-up. I have a hard time finding the right skin tone color to match up with mine. I'm Asian and i have a hard time finding what would be a good skin tone, since i don't have very pale skin, people don't know what to reccomend me. I have a friend that uses make-up and she said it was hard to find the right tone for her since she's half Asian and half Native Amercian.

I find that my skin is also sensetive to make-up too and it doesen't give me the look I like very much in photos. I want to know what you can reccomend me or some place that can help me point to my direction of a good powder or foundation. I also want to cover up the shine that my face often gives me in photos.

I also seen that people tend to put make-up on their neck to match with the face's skintone too does it really make a diffrence?

bipolarbunny
05-10-2004, 12:34 PM
I want to use make-up, but the main thing is i don't have much experience with make-up. I have a hard time finding the right skin tone color to match up with mine. I'm Asian and i have a hard time finding what would be a good skin tone, since i don't have very pale skin, people don't know what to reccomend me. I have a friend that uses make-up and she said it was hard to find the right tone for her since she's half Asian and half Native Amercian.

I find that my skin is also sensetive to make-up too and it doesen't give me the look I like very much in photos. I want to know what you can reccomend me or some place that can help me point to my direction of a good powder or foundation. I also want to cover up the shine that my face often gives me in photos.

I also seen that people tend to put make-up on their neck to match with the face's skintone too does it really make a diffrence?

i am asian as well, but i'm rather pale, so i like to go to the lancome counter at The Bay or Sears and ask the people there which colour is best for my skin, and i like their products because they are nice to my sensitive skin. they are a bit pricey though,but worth it

recently i bought their photogenique foundation and i'm really happy with the coverage and shade, even though it was $50 CDN. it's made so that it reflects light and hides any imperfections., plus it's for dry skin

a powder should seal the makeup and prevent shine. if your makeup colour is lighter or darker than your skin, you should put some on your neck as well, to avoid the very unattractive "face ends here. neck starts here" colour difference.

the counter people at department stores will test make up on you to try to find the right colour, and even though when you get it home and put a bit on your skin, the colour may look really wrong, once you blend it in, it should look just right.

if not, return time ^.^

inertia
05-10-2004, 10:15 PM
Have you tried Clinique? My mother has very sensitive skin and Clinique is one of the only makeup brands that's okay for her because it's fragrance-free. She's Japanese with rather dark skin from years of preferring tanning to whitening lotion, and got a really good color match from Clinique. I can't see the makeup at all when she wears it. My sister and I are half white and have different problems... I'm pale and slightly yellow, and find good matches from Bobbi Brown (my #1) and Christian Dior. But my sister sounds like your friend -- she's dark with reddish tones and is often mistaken for Native American, and no foundation she's ever tried (many) has matched her skin well.

Department store makeup isn't cheap, but I think the extra cost is worthwhile for foundation/powder because of the difficulty in getting a perfect match. It's better in the long run to buy one department store product that you've tried on and know is really good than to get 4 hit-or-miss drugstore products which are all slightly off.

I can't see a difference if I use makeup on my neck and chest... The one time I was photographed in something sort of low-cut I used the same foundation powder there as on my face, and it looked right in photos, but I'm still not sure if I really NEEDED to do it...

bipolarbunny
05-11-2004, 12:50 AM
usually you don't need to put any on your neck if your makeup is the right colour for your skin

the thing is that if you have the wrong colour you will end up with two tone skin, that's why it's important to get the right match

China-Lilly
05-11-2004, 04:03 AM
Your best option would be to go to a dept store and ask someone at a counter to help you with the shades and formulations. Just don't feel pressure to buy straight away - go outside and check the foundation in natural daylight! Dept store lighting is awful - so even if it looks right inside, it can look completely off in natural daylight.

It's best if you can wait a few hours because if your skin is oily, it can change the shade of your foundation. It's even better if you can get a sample, then you can test out the shade and formula for a few days.

Personally, I'd try and find a formulation that has no or little SPF, as titanium dioxide can reflect camera flash, making you appear more pale in photos. Also - I'd still powder your neck even if your foundation is a good match - more light reflects off makeup than bare skin.

I think MAC has a lot of Asian-friendly shades, as does Becca.

If you want inexpensive, Jane's Stay Calm foundation is excellent. The coverage is sheer-to-medium but the shades are very neutral and it's sheer enough that the match does not have to be exact. Being Asian, I'd say you'd probably be Naturally.