PDA

View Full Version : Naruto cosplay - Kabuto (New to this, any help appreciated)

Playingmyrole
05-10-2004, 06:18 PM
It seems that Naruto-cosplay is becoming extremely popular, so I feel a little bad asking a question regarding it, as you've all probably seen dozens of similar threads recently. However, I'm hoping that the character I'm choosing is one of the less-frequently cosplayed... >>;;

Kabuto. (I've found a website with a lot of reference pictures here (http://narutopix.littlecooldude.com/Kabuto/), if you don't know what he looks like.)

I'm new to cosplaying -- first time! -- and was wondering if I could get any suggestions from the pros. on how to make certain parts of/where to find materials for this costume.

Unfortunately, I can't sew and I'm not sure if I know anyone who can, and (though this is less of a problem) I'm female, so it'll be crossplay (I believe that's the term, right?).

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

cgmangotiger
05-11-2004, 02:09 AM
*Waves* I too am doing a less cosplayed Naruto character: Kiba!

I think that makes two of us: I'm female and can't sew either.

I'm not a pro, but:

As for the materials you need, try a thrift shop and for the cloth over his waist, go to a fabric store. You could try www.ebay.com if your able to do online shopping, go for the cheapest things first though.

It looks like the vest can easily be one of those Old Navy perfomance fleece tops, but I wouldn't want to spend that much money for a one time use...

I don't know though, it's up to you.

kerochan
05-11-2004, 12:17 PM
For Kabuto's top you could take a sleeveless navy mock turtleneck and use that and put a white tshirt underneath. Or you could try to make the navy shirt that he has by taking a t-shirt and adding to the collar to make it look like a turtleneck thing. This next suggest is for a minimal amount of sewing: even handsewing if you have to! It only takes about maybe 20 mins to do. Just measure around the existing collar and sew the addition on. I did this for my malin costume...check out my gallery.
For the shorts just match them up to the shirt that you are going to use. For the bandages you can use ace bandages.
Hope this gets you started on your costume and good luck!

Eleryth
05-11-2004, 09:24 PM
If you can't sew the turtleneck part, you might be able to buy a 'dickie', which is a fake collar piece. Then you could sew that or wear it underneath whatever you get for the t-shirt. Only thing is, turtleneck ones are probably not available all year round. Usually worn by older women and men, you might have to try less 'trendy' stores, or big department stores.

Playingmyrole
05-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Thank you very much. Will take these suggestions into consideration and...hopefully it'll work out. ^^