PDA

View Full Version : Hanmyo from Outlaw Star

SaiyenGirl
05-10-2004, 05:55 PM
Ok, I redid the parts of this costume that I couldn't stand, and here's the final version. (btw, thanks to Allyunion for pointing out the collars defect. It really helped with the overall look, I was very greatfull.) I plan on getting more pics of this costume when I have time, but these do very well.

I had so much fun wearing it to Otakon 2004, but sadly I did not see any Jims, though I did pass by this really GREAT Gene about...ooo. FIVE TIMES!! And I wasn't even in this costume! ::smacks forehead:: I was very upset.
My kitties stood up very well to the con abuse, and I even had their collars! (you have to squint, but they're VERY accurate)

I love this costume, even though it takes at least 20 minutes to get situated into and comfortable. And just a note....my hair. I know I know....BLAH. If you had hair like mine you would BLAH too. I tried and I tried, but it would not behave at ALL. The pics I have are the only decent ones where my hair isn't going BOOING!!!!

Anyway, now that I have the new pics I wanna know what you guys think! I do believe I am the first complete Hanmyo, and I have yet to see another. I'm still up to adjusting some things if you guys see something off.
(Reference pics attached, and ignore the sock heights, they differ in the series MAJORLY)

Ver 2.0:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=191084

Cute Close up:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=191083

Eleryth
05-10-2004, 07:15 PM
Hanmyo is so cute! You did a really good job on the obi/bow. If you want it kept stiffer, perhaps starching it will help you, or adding in thin interfacing. Also, to keep the front nice (of the obi), you can wear a thin cardboard thing underneath, to help the obi lie flatter (if that's what you're after).

Hmm... In no particular order...

I think your socks should be pulled up a bit higher. They look a bit too short compared to the reference image. I think they should be about mid-calf. I notice it changes in the reference images, though, too...
Also, the edges of the... armor?...that go over her shoulders look darker in all the reference images, but not in yours. Don't know if this is an aesthetic thing or not. You could use bias tape or something for that.
For some reason, I think you should tie the obi a little bit higher on you. Not sure why, just looks a teensy bit too low.
And to close the front, try hooks and eyes? I can't tell in the reference photo if it's supposed to be closed all the way until the collar. If so, go with the eyes, or maybe white Chinese-style frogs.

It's so adorable, though! I love Outlaw Star... makes me wish I had my Suzu costume finished...

Sarcasm-hime
05-10-2004, 10:19 PM
I agree that the obi should be tied higher; you want to go for that little-girl look. It looks like it's more around your hips than your waist at the moment.

But yay for Outlaw Star cosplay! There are so few....

SaiyenGirl
05-11-2004, 04:16 PM
Thanks a lot guys. Yeah, that obi is most definitely the devil re-encarnate. ::glares evilly:: It takes so long to get into because it has an undercarrage to make it stay up in the back and is in two nasty pieces. I'll make sure to tie it up higher next time, I'm glad that you all like it, I was really worried about it and spent a lot of time trying to figure it out.
I never thought of eyelets Eleryth, I'll have to look into getting some. Really the collar stays closed most of the time, but I had to get those ties in somehow, they're there in most pics of her outfit. And I think I'm going to go over the edges of the armor straps with some paint or something, I debated and debated about the darkness of them, since the dark line differs in so many pics.
Thanks again guys, much help! ^^

TheAnarCHris
05-11-2004, 04:38 PM
Oh man, that rocks my tube socks something fierce!! The world could always use a few more OLS cosplayers, and now I'm tempted to whip out Gene again...you are going to Otakon right?

Senko-chan
05-11-2004, 04:50 PM
I really liked the obi. I think it came out marvelous! Good job! ^_^ and some how...THREE thumbs up for you! one extra for cosplaying someone from Outlaw star! ^_^ heehee.

Adara
05-11-2004, 08:44 PM
Aww, I love Hanmyo ^o^ I was considering cosplaying her for a while.

I think you did a really great job! The armor-ish thing came out really well. Hanmyo cosplayers are like.. nonexistant, save for you. Props for doing a rarely cosplayed character!

One day, I willlll make an Outlaw Star costume. grr. >.<

SaiyenGirl
05-11-2004, 10:25 PM
Starwind824 YOU rock my socks! Yes I am going to Otakon this year, and I'm definitely bringing this costume. I saw your Gene a million times last year and loved it to death, but I never got around to getting a pic! ::cries::
And thanks Senko-chan and Sickness, I feel giggly now ^-^ . I think I've actually seen one other person do this costume, but it was barely noticable, since she didnt' have any details on it and it was pretty poorly done. Power to the Rare Cosplays! ^^

TheAnarCHris
05-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Starwind824 YOU rock my socks! Yes I am going to Otakon this year, and I'm definitely bringing this costume. I saw your Gene a million times last year and loved it to death, but I never got around to getting a pic! ::cries::
And thanks Senko-chan and Sickness, I feel giggly now ^-^ . I think I've actually seen one other person do this costume, but it was barely noticable, since she didnt' have any details on it and it was pretty poorly done. Power to the Rare Cosplays! ^^

:: Blushes :: #^_^=# Thanks but the real credit goes to Neoangelwink, who made both kick ass Gene and Melfina costumes. I'm tempted to bring the jumpsuit this year, or the whole entire outfit should my SC2 Kilik costume falls through. I'll let you know either way.

allyunion
05-24-2004, 05:08 AM
You two are on the east coast. Oh well...

Anyway...

From a distance, it looks great. I would, recommend somehow making the armor more uniformly straight in terms of the straps. Perhaps sowing them in and allowing some kind of attachment for the shield?

The close up has one minor problem that bothers me: The neck collar.

Just look at this reference picture, and you'll see what I mean:
http://web.archive.org/web/20021202145800/http://pantransit.reptiles.org/images/2002-04-07/Jim_Hanmyo.jpg

Kitten
05-24-2004, 06:16 PM
Oooo, so many Outlaw Star cosplayers at Otakon this year.. makes me wanna bring my Melfina again. :3

I really like your costume! I think you're the first Hanmyo I've ever seen. :D I'll have to meet up with you at Ota! ^_^

SaiyenGirl
05-24-2004, 06:22 PM
::strangles collar:: Thanks so much for the pic Allyunion, I wish I had had it sooner. The collar was a huge mystery to me since all the pictures I found were either inconsistant or didn't show the collar at all. I'm so glad I have this now, I was planning on fixing it eventually, I'll get on it before Otakon.
That is sad that you're all the way on the other side....::sniffle:: I really like your Jim costume. I'm feeling lonley without a Jim....I'll have to swindle one of my friends into it. ^^
Kitten: Thanks! I'd love to see you at Ota! I think I'll be wearing Hanmyo on saturday, I'm pretty sure of it. I pondered making a Melfina costume for the longes time, but I decided on Hanmyo at the last minute. ^^

SaiyenGirl
08-28-2004, 08:59 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread on the same costume, so I just updated the first post with new pics and info.
I updated this costume and I want to know what you guys think! Thanks to all the original tips, they really helped and I think this new version is so great! ^_^

Eleryth
08-29-2004, 08:29 PM
I notice you have the collar closed now. Yay!

It's still super adorable. :) The slightly darker trim on the weird armor thing is missing, but it doesn't throw off the look, so it's totally forgiveable.

I think the cats are a great touch. Looks good! What does the back of your costume look like? I'd love to see the obi bow!

(BTW, twenty minutes is good! I usually take about an hour (including hair and makeup). And kimono takes way longer than that... >.<)