PDA

View Full Version : Favorite fabrics

Peppermintstix
11-22-2002, 07:24 PM
hey. I just wanted to ask all you cosplayers, what are your favorite fabrics to use for your costumes?

Celine
11-22-2002, 07:59 PM
FLEECE!!!! ^_______________^

It is soft and fuzzy, warm and easy to sew... Sure, it isn't appropriate for summer costumes, but I try to incorporate fleece as often as possible. Another truly fantastic fabric is suiting stuff- sometimes it can be sort of pricy, but it's wonderful and drapes well! I try to experiment with fabrics other than cheap cotton, since I love different textures and it spices up the costume. I'm also a big fan of felt, since it's so easy to work with. I particularly love the look of velvet, though I don't enjoy sewing with it.

Peppermintstix
11-22-2002, 08:14 PM
Fleece!? really? I find fleece annoying but I was thinking of using it to make an edea costume since we have a cool ombre fleece that fades at the bottom into white. what cotumes have you used fleece in?

Koumori
11-22-2002, 08:59 PM
Can't really answer this question, as it all depends on which fabrics are best for the costume. I try to select fabrics that make sense to me, given the character and the setting. For a royal or noble character, I try to use silk.

Hikaru Tsuki
11-22-2002, 09:02 PM
Broadcloth! It's cheap, easy to sew and comes in lots of colors. ^_^

When it comes to fabrics I HATE, I have to say pleather (it doesn't run through sewing machines!) and satin. BOTH ARE EVIL!

Celine
11-22-2002, 09:18 PM
>what cotumes have you used fleece in?

Err... no less than ten costumes... ^_^;;; I really try and incorporate it into everything if I can. I have lots of problems with satin wrinkling, cotton looking blah, and stretch fabrics bunching. But none of the problems with fleece.

BlueLady
11-23-2002, 06:45 PM
I generally don't cosplay anime, so for me a really rich jewel-colored brocade on a costume is heaven

soshi
11-23-2002, 09:03 PM
COTTON. /ToT/ <~ worship

and upholstory fabric, and other crap that's not supposed to be made into clothing. O_o

peacecraft
11-23-2002, 09:20 PM
Cotton. DEFINATELY cotton. SOOOOOO easy to sew. Keeps me from becoming frustrated very quickly.

MargauxZ
11-23-2002, 11:04 PM
Calico cotton. Easy to sew, lightweight, and comes in EVERY tint and shade of every color.

I use it for pretty much everything, unless it is obviously not suitable for character.

Pink Bunnie
11-24-2002, 01:15 AM
I wub gaberdine XD and suitings...for some schtoof peachskin too. Those are my most over used fabrics :3 Lining can be nice for certain things too

Dark Vision
11-24-2002, 03:01 AM
Gaberdine rocks sooo much... great texture... good colors.... terrific radiant.... one of the only fabrics that speaks to me and tell me to make a costume.... of course i'm a zombie and obeys the fabric's command.

I also like but hate working with interlock material I do like 4 way interlock. Its lite and strechy and be used for anything without worrying about ummm "rippage"

I also like the dance costume materials but too expensive.

moo
11-24-2002, 04:31 AM
Oh yes, I lurve peachskin polyester too! It's such an easy going fabric and has a nice body and drape. It doesn't feel like stereotypical poly either... it's warm and fuzzy and loves you back. It is the Big Friendly Dog of fabrics ^_^

aeva
11-24-2002, 09:52 AM
*-* Please just let me drown in silk. XD I'm only using it for some costumes for the fall drama at school, but gawd, I just want to wrap myself in it and die happily. XD

Kurenai
11-24-2002, 12:19 PM
::slithers:: that stuff they use for the lining of swimsuits...ooooh I'm gonna make a dress out of it...so soft...::purrs::

Tenshi
11-24-2002, 04:30 PM
I know I'm gonna sound weird, but. . .flannel. Nice, thick flannel. When it comes to anime costumes, it's awesome! I'm using flannel for BT (.hack//SIGN) and it's perfect! It's thick enough to achieve the look in the sleeves that I need, and it drapes very nicely for the skirt. And it has absolutely no shine in it, so it will look nice in pictures. I like all sorts of thick, non-shiny material. . .knits and suiting material.

I like cotton/broadcloth for all the different colors it comes in, but it is WAY too limp.

Stretch material, like stretch velvet and swimsuit/dance stuff, is evil >.<. ::had a failed experiment with stretch fabric::

Peppermintstix
11-24-2002, 04:54 PM
I dunno i got mystart in just making regular clothes, so I like all fabrics but I have no intention of using a satin of any kind for any costume. Anime clothing is almost never shiny, so...yeah. :)