PDA

View Full Version : suspect email??

Mako-san
05-17-2004, 09:50 AM
Hi Admin
I was wondering if you sent any emails with an attached Data .pif file to it?
I received one but will not open it cause it looks suspect. So I'm just checking to make sure before i open it and its a virus.
thanks

Admin
05-17-2004, 06:14 PM
Nope, haven't sent anything out like that. Once in a while spammers will use random domain names in the reply-to field to make it look like someone else is sending it, and cosplay.com has been used at least once in the past that I know of.

The only other thing I can think of is if someone used the site to send you an email, but I'd have to see it to know for sure. Since it's probably a virus, I'd say just delete it and forget about it. :)

Mako-san
05-18-2004, 05:38 PM
Okay! Thank you!

larry_santello
05-21-2004, 03:07 PM
I was wondering if you sent any emails with an attached Data .pif file to it?
Good eyes, that there is a Mass Mail Virus. They spread themselves by sending copies of itself to everyone in someone's address book, and forges the "FROM" field so it appears to come from someone else in that address book.

If you get any attachment with the extensions PIF, BAT, REG, EXE, VBS, LNK or COM it's almost certainly a virus.

If you scan the header, you can usually find the real sender. It's sometimes good to notify their ISP, as many people don't even know their computer is infected.

It's always a good idea to have an anti-virus application to safe-guard your system. There are free online scanners from good companies like Trend Micro. If you do a google search for "Trend Micro Antivirus" you'll find their page, and a link to a free scan.

Free is good!