PDA

View Full Version : Gaara

Halfling
05-19-2004, 12:12 PM
I have no experience whatsoever with makeup, but I'm going to crossplay as Gaara from Naruto.

I went out and bought 2 eyepencils today (it's really scary how much make up they have)... one black, for around the eyes, and a reddish/purplish one to draw his tatoo. After reading a bit on the forum I'm starting to wonder whether coloring the black lines around Gaara's eyes with an eye pencil is the right way to go about it.

Also, there should be some other characters with tatoos besides Gaara.. how are (facial) tatoos generally done?

Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

(I renamed the topic so people might be more inclined to actually read it... it's not just about Gaara, but about some general make-up thingies.)

Arcyu
05-21-2004, 01:39 PM
I'am also trying to figure out how to do the makeup and tatoo but I found a how-to clip from a Japanese magazine posted in a Naruto thread in the Anime/manga forums...I'am sorry to the person who kindly posted this originally...please don't worry, I'am loading this from my own computer and just trying to help a fellow gaara cosplayer -_-

I'm still not sure how to do it even with this but I hope you do ^-^

Eleryth
05-21-2004, 10:43 PM
You could probably use waterproof black liquid liner, or stage makeup. It might stay better and be darker than black eyeliner pencil.

Reading the threads about removing eyebrows would also help. The girl in the pictures probably shaved hers off (they draw them on anyway in Japan, so it's not as strange as it sounds. They actually sell eyebrow shavers...little razor type things). It looks like she drew the outline with some type of pencil, then filled it in with makeup on a brush, then added some red detail at the edges with another makeup pencil type thing. The tattoo was a stencil, but you could also use stage makeup for that (have someone else paint it on with a brush, or make the stencil). I think stagemakeup might be best, because it shouldn't rub off if you sweat. Try Ben Nye or search the threads. Good costume stores might carry it.

For a good look at the kanji, and how to draw it, try Jim Breen's kanji dictionary, found here: http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.html. Click search for words in the dictionary, then search for "ai" after clicking word in romaji. It should be the third one down. Click the green circle to be beside the "love" kanji, and "examine this kanji" down at the bottom, then click continue. On the next page, click the blue letters that say SOD (stroke order diagram). It will show you how to write it in the correct order.

I will also try saving and attaching the picture here for your convenience.

KuroBara
05-21-2004, 11:10 PM
It looks like that cosplayer used a stencil for the tattoo. I drew Tamahome's forehead symbol on my boyfriend with red lipliner (really cheap stuff, like wet 'n wild). If you practice a few times, or have a friend who can draw, it's not very hard to do. It came out nicely, it didn't run because of sweat, but it did smudge when he accidentally rubbed it. If you go that route I would reccomend a makeup sealer, I know they're available in places that sell theatrical makeup.

Arcyu
05-21-2004, 11:27 PM
Wow...thank you so much for the awesome tips, Eleryth and KuroBara! I'm sorry for using your thread, Halfling but I just had to thank them ^^;

But umm..is shaving the eyebrows necessary? I was hoping they could be concealed somehow...I shaved my eyebrows years ago and now they aren't as thick as they were before...and my mom kicked my butt real hard -_-;;

KuroBara
05-21-2004, 11:29 PM
You're welcome ^_^

Shaving your brows isn't necessary, there are a few threads here about concealing them, try a search for "eyebrows" or "zabuza cosplay". When my boy cosplays Zabuza I'm going to try the wax & foundation method to cover his brows.

Eleryth
05-22-2004, 03:25 AM
Reading my post again I realize I should have clarified... >.< Didn't mean to confuse you! There's a couple of threads on hiding your existing eyebrows, not shaving them off. Just thought I would explain what and why she did what she did in the picture.

Halfling
05-22-2004, 12:37 PM
I'll try lipliner for the tatoo then... without sealer, don't have time to go to town and buy that kinda stuff. guess I'll try both the eyepencil and the lipliner by wearing 2 "tatoos" for a day ;)

was already planning on using a stencil for the tatoo, I got a nice gaara-pic that I used to make the stencil. I'll probably make my stencil from an old playing-card, since regular cardboard is too thick.

eleryth: the liner for the eyes that you talked about, is that liquid eyeliner? (sorry, I am a real make-up n00b).

I was planning on just using a camouflage-stick (don't know what they are for, but I saw them at the store and mistook them for lipstick,until I read they were camouflage sticks) for the eybrows... shaving them off is too rigorous for my taste, and though the wax-method seems VERY nice, it is too inconvenient for me at the moment.

(woa... Im buying more makeup this week than I've ever owned in my entire life... scary!)

Halfling
06-01-2004, 08:53 AM
k... the tatoo with the eyeliner pencil worked just fine.
just make sure you have a good pencil sharpener... (I didn't have one, of course). don't play ddr too much, or your tatoo will get all sweaty and disappear ;)

black eyeshadow would have been better for the black parts on the eyelid (I just saw a nice topic on this), but the pencil worked ok too.

I didn't do anything with my eyebrows, since the store didn't have any waxy-stuff to cover them with. I have pretty dark eyebrows, but thanks to the black around my eyes they weren't really noticable. problem solved.

the most fun part about this cosplay was: even my friends didn't recognise me with my hair cut short and dyed red, and my contact lenses. :)
got some comments about not having a gourd though... (one of the beachballs got punctured, so I couln't get it round).

janmurphy
07-11-2004, 09:49 AM
I realize that the last post on this was a month ago, but I can add something here. I have seen the how to for Gaaras makeup before but just today I bought a 'Hussy Color Cosmetic Tattoo Pen' and I realized that THAT'S what’s in that picture. I have had a black pen from Hussy color for some time and it’s great. Like a marker brush but much more resilient on the skin. Today I got the red pen and was looking for some LOOVE kanji and I found this thread. I actually live in Japan, so I really don’t know if you can get this particular pen in other countries, but I would suggest looking through the party supplies section for ‘tattoo pens’ I really do recommend the hussy though since it has the brush tip that makes it so good for drawing on kanji.
If you wanna see how it looks youll just have to wait for me to get pictures of my kanji'ed head and inflatable gourd onto my website.

*Jibrielle*
09-19-2004, 04:48 PM
I was searching for naruto stuff on the internet and found this: http://****.com/tattoos.html ^_^

in the *** write: konoha imports

MinekaC
01-10-2005, 12:57 AM
In The Icing, division of Claires Accessories I found that they now make temporary tatoo markers. I was messing around with the black one, and if you give it enough time to totally dry they take three days to totally disappear. They take a while to really dry, but only bout one minute so that they're smudge proof. They don't run through the lines on yer skin. I saw fur colours: black, red, purple, and blue. I don't know if they make more, and they where something like 5 dollars a piece. In case anyone wanted to know.

janmurphy
01-12-2005, 09:26 PM
Three days for a temp tattoo is great, unless its on your forehead and you have to work. With that im mind I went with the temp tattoo paper. You can buy it at any computer store here. Im hoping you can in north america too.

If you cant find the paper or you dont want to pay that much for a bunch of sheets when your only making one tattoo then go to my site and mail me. Ive been making the naruto temporary tattoos for people because I decided that the place charging $8us for the tattoos needs competition to bring down their prices. So mine are $4.