PDA

View Full Version : LuLu

Nyoko
06-12-2002, 07:11 PM
I am helping make a Lulu costume for a friend, the thing is I can sew but can't make accessories...... How did all the cosplayers here make the accessories (beads, hair pins.....)

It would help if you would go into detail.

thanx

kelldar
06-12-2002, 11:23 PM
A lot of the beads can be found at a hobby or craft store and painted. I had to make the larger purple coloured beads out of sculpey since I couldn't find the correct shape.
I'm remaking my hair pin thingies out of sculpey for otakon. I originally made them out of old paintbrushes/friendly plastic/foamboard, but they didn't look too good and one broke on the way home ><;
good luck!

Adella
06-12-2002, 11:42 PM
mad props to all of you lulu cosplayers. That's one heck of an intricate and tough costume.

ElfEater
06-12-2002, 11:57 PM
When I made my LuLu costume ( http://costume.elfeater.com/costume/lulu.html ) For the purple beads I used clear gems from Micheals and painted them purple. I drilled tiny holes into them and just made them like a necklace. I found wood beads and painted them red for the second row.
For the hairpins, I carved them out of wood parts. You can get them in a bag of 10 at WalMart in the craft section. If you have a dremel or hand tool, its really simple to trace and cut out your design.
Or, you could get those hair chopsticks, paint them, and hot glue on beaded decoration maybe?
^^

Nyoko
06-13-2002, 04:05 PM
What about trim???? where did you all get your trim????

(I will talk to my dad about making the hair pins out of wood)

LiL QoH
06-13-2002, 05:36 PM
i just bought all my beads and a couple small porcelian roses to glue on the purple beads werent beads at all they're suppost to be for earrings fake pearls but I spraypainted them purple and for now I have them taped to bead string lol I dont know how Im going to putt it off without them flipping and exsposing the underside lol but for the hair pins I used chopsticks for the bototm two and palmers clay for the top two heres some pictures http://qoh.homestead.com/preview.html

As for the trim...the trim we're making ourself with the embroidery machine but damnjust the sleeves and front of the skirt have taken almost a month...I havent started the bottom and anime expo is around the corner

Lady Somairot
06-14-2002, 12:35 AM
this is what i did... though i'm sure there's more efficient/better ways of doing these.... @_@

beads for braids: ...sculpy.. (big surprise)

necklace #1: no surprise here, white pearly beads. any generic craft store should have them.

necklace #2: the red beads were impossible to find (as strange as that may sound) but i found black ones... so i just painted them. i can't think off the top of my head what color bead is between the red ones, but i know i just found them generically somewhere.

necklace #3: this was the tricky one. in game CG, the blue gems look like.. gems. like, translucent gems. though, in character designs, they looked more solid. i chose the path of the gem look, and bought those clear stones that go in aquariums. i bought blue glass paint and went crazy. it turned out kinda heavy, but really beautiful.

hairpiece #1: (bottom right on YOUR head) i built this on a chopstick *teehee*. i was able to find a big red wooden bead, so i didn't have to make that part out of sculpy. there's a little tip to the edge of the bead -- i just filled the bead hole with hot glue and painted the dry-hot glue tip .. black? i think? and i painted the little black lines on the red bead. i painted the chopstick lavender... hmm. oh yeah. the little flat things around the red bead, i made out of flattened scraps of foam rubber which were left over from my boyfriend's auron vests. ^_^ i painted them to match the real thing. umm... oh yeah! the beads that dangled... the pinkish ones i had to paint... the others i found and strung. everything held together with hot glue.

hairpeice #2: (top right) this one i redid with sculpy, except for the bead/gem. i used a blue wooden bead that i found and hot glued it to two seperate pieces of sculpy (the main stick part and the little tip).

hairpeice #3: (bottom left) once again, built on a chopstick painted darkish purple. i found little rose cloth accessories and painted them the blueish green color, and hot glued them to the chopstick. the vine that's connecting them was kinda neat cos i found a piece of dried hot glue that was the right shape... so.. *hehe* i just used that! then for the gold thin beads that dangle... i just found longish thin gold bead and strung them in two rows of three.

hairpiece #4: (top left) i redid this one too. sculpy! i had used flexible wire for the sortof half flower fan looking thing, but sculpy worked better. then just paint it.

earrings: *laugh* once again i found flat pieces of left over foam rubber and i just cut and painted them... then hot glued a normal earring thing on the back... oh yeah! there's gold beads on the top too... i think there's three but i only did 2 *gasp* @_@

*sigh* i think that's it. i know i was a bit long winded... gomen! hope some good comes from it and this helps!

OH YEAH. i almost forgot!!! i don't know how a lot of people did their lace... some people just found lace and sewed it on.. other's created something similar to the actual pattern (i don't know how...) and i hand embroidered it.. which i highly DO NOT recommend. it took FOREVER. it's completely accurate, which is what makes me like it, buuuuutttttttttt... *pout* it's not really lace, you know? it's embroidery. *sigh* so i dunno.

i'm sure your friend will look beautiful!!! ^_^ hooray for lulu!!! *passes out from typing too much*!!!

Lady Somairot
06-14-2002, 12:42 AM
me again.. sorry. but..
I ALMOST FORGOT!!!

i built my hair bun over part of a styrofoam ball, so that when you stick the hairpieces into the bun, they really stay firmly where you put them.

^_^ that's all!!

Nyoko
06-14-2002, 01:16 PM
Lady Somairot and LiL QoH you two are SO helpfull, What do you think of the idea of making the trim out of fabric????

Nyoko
06-14-2002, 01:23 PM
oh everyone was a BIG help!!!! thank you all so MUCH!!! the photos have really give me ideas and so have you suggestions!

Lady Somairot
06-14-2002, 10:50 PM
i think fabric would work... i'm just not sure how you would make the edges not fray. i mean, you could hem them, but that would probably take forever, you know? maybe hot glue or something? *shrugs* i honestly don't know.

so why am i posting? o_O to say 'i don't know'?? *laughs at herself* oy vay.

Yuna
06-15-2002, 12:04 AM
Accually, you might just be in luck. Yaya's desided to start making ecessories to bring in somemore money. One of those things is Lulu hair pins, ect. Maybe you should look into that.

DHB
06-16-2002, 05:49 PM
Go for all of ya Lulu cosplayers!

I recognize how crazy such a project could be but how outstanding it is when it's done... How did you make those interlaced belts?????

D.H.B.

Nyoko
06-16-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Yuna
Accually, you might just be in luck. Yaya's desided to start making ecessories to bring in somemore money. One of those things is Lulu hair pins, ect. Maybe you should look into that.

That would really help me out alot!!!! I have so much to do for my costume and others as well, got to get them done for Otakon....
:thumbsup:

I will ask about that, Do you know for how much?

HuongStar
06-21-2002, 01:01 PM
The trick is to find lightweight or faux leather belts. We experimented with a separate "hoop" support system that would split the dress from the belts but it was too cumbersome and heavy.

If you have an industrial machine, you can sew them down to that mysterious black backing that she has and sew that into the actual skirt. Punch holes into the belts and sew them together where they criss-cross so less strain is on the skirt and belts can support each other.

Nessa had a good recommendation for Yaya's Lulu accessories if you need a time-saver. Otherwise, it's all experiment from there. I worked with mainly wire hangers and Sculpey. *_*

As for the trim, I used various bridal lace but I might glue the actual lace to some fabric before I sew it into the dress.

LiL QoH
06-22-2002, 03:20 PM
Word of advice dont embroider it yourself I have been working on mine for months... lol and it SUCKS

Cynthia
07-11-2002, 01:28 PM
Belts: I bought a bunch at a thrift store, cut them in half, and used goop (a really industrial strength glue) to glue them to the fabric-I can tell you for a fact that their not coming off in this millienia.

Hairpins: Two were hairpins I'd bought previously but had stopped wearing so I colored them with nair polish to their specified color and glued beads and other trinkets on them. The other two are chopsticks-yes you heard me right, and they work great.

Lace: The lace I found at joanns. I was some kind of heavy curtain lace with flowers all over it. I took it home cut out all of the flowers and hand sewed them in a pattern on to the sleeves and skirt.

Makoberry
07-15-2002, 05:00 AM
I'm probably not going to be of much help to you at this point but i thought i might just say something if at least.

The most complicated part is the belts.
what i did was that i constucted a two hoop frame that was supported by a miniskirt. so the weight is on your hips and you don't have to worry if it pulls your skirt down. you can hardly tell if you make the skirt fitted. attached going vertically were those already set boning strips. the two hoops were sewed onto that. one in the middle and at the bottom. then the belts were sewn/attached to the strips of boning and the hoops where they would be seen. cut fold bend the belts however you want to make them look like a lot and sew where they cross over eachother for extra staying and support. Also pay attention to how and where the belts overlap and cross so that they can support eachother equally.that thing took days to finish but it's worth it :) as far as the lace and trim goes i'm just glad i live 15 mins from downtown l.a.'s fashion district. all the colors and designs you need. hopefully this would be helpful.

NekoSilvia
07-18-2002, 11:53 AM
I'm going to be cosplaying as Lulu at Otakon this year and i thought the costume was going to be really hard. for the pins i used the bun stick thingies and i just added on with pipe cleaners and added beads. Fore the trim i had to go and buy wedding lace and soak it in black dye for a bit. The lady told me that if i died this brown fabric it would turn out dark brown and it didn't so my Lulu costume is a mid brown colour. Instead og having all those heavy belts i just made a top layer and then put sheer black nettihng underneath. I was afriad to rely on just having 2 belts hold my top up so i took a clear plastic material and made straps. This is only the second costume i made and i think it didn't turn out that bad.

Cait
07-23-2002, 03:24 AM
I went as Yuna, but made all the jewelry for my acopanying Lulu. Her pearl necklace was made from.. well.. nothing. It was two dollars at K-mart. The red one was made easily from red tube beads and green round pearl-like beads from Hobby Lobby. The purple round beads I made from sculpey clay (I saw that mentioned up there.. three cheers for scupley clay!) and the white pearls in between the purple flat beads were purchased from the same shelf as the green perl-like beads.

As for the hair sticks, I used actual hair sticks purchased from a girly accessories store and modified with some tape, a bit of cardboard for the frame on some of the bigger ones, and spray paint that I should have never gotten my hands on. Actually, nail polish worked as well for that task. She ended up pulling her natural hair in a bun, spraying that black, wrapping braided hair extentions around that bun and letting them hang. She then stuck the hairsticks in the already secure hair and had no problems.

LiL QoH I hear that! I hand embroidered all of the little pink flowers and vines on my Yuna skirt. I'm a bit crazy, ne? But it's now quite impressive! If only my obi was equally so...

Yukai
07-25-2002, 10:31 AM
When I made my Lulu costume, I bought a bolt of lace at JoAnn's and cut out each piece of the fabric that I wanted to use in my dress. I then took the over 500 pieces of lace and hand dyed each one myself to give it a colorfull look.

The hair was a bit tricky-er. Seeing as I myself do not have bangs, I forgot to bring some fake hair to make the bangs. But it was just a test run of the costume. so maybe next time.

The belts, well, that is about 3 hours worth of me using 27 real belts and trying to make it hang from the front without ripping the dress. I am proud to say, I accomplished this very well.

Now if only people would stop stepping on the train in the back >.< (Right sister? Midgets unite!)

ReiChan
07-27-2002, 03:16 AM
I'm not quite done with my costume yet, but here goes...

belts: Bought 20+ belts for about $1.26 each at Goodwill, took 3 belts and used them to make a sort of frame for the others (one belt goes around my waist, and two are attached to that on either side and run down to the floor). Then I took the other belts and cut them in half so the buckles would show in the middle, and attached each end to the supporting belts with rivets. I kinda wove them together so they'd stay. So the end result is sort of like an apron made out of belts. That way, the belts stay up by themselves and don't drag on the rest of the skirt. To attach the belts to the skirt I punched holes in the leather and just sewed the edges of the skirt to it.

the skirt: made out of charcoal gray upholstery fabric (sorta looks like rubber or something). The "lace" designs I decided to hand-paint on using fabric paints (the kind you use on t-shirts and stuff, comes in little squeezy bottles) for the sake of accuracy. I made stencils out of stiff paper and brushed a light coat of paint onto the skirt as a guideline, then filled it in with a heavier coat of paint. I used a cream color for the base, then brushed pastel colors on top.

NyanNyan
07-28-2002, 02:59 PM
ok i was gunna cosplay Lulu next year... but this is getting way to intricate for me... *passes out in confusion*

Cait
08-01-2002, 05:33 PM
*looks up* Right, sister!

Yukai
08-01-2002, 07:29 PM
Cosplaying as Lulu was great! Really. It was just the 6 weeks of making the costume and even making some of the belts that I didn't like

Hey sis, love the new avatar. ^.~

Cait
08-01-2002, 08:44 PM
Thanks, sis!

But seriously.... go ahead and be Lulu! It's not like there's a shortage of people who can help/have done it before.

Nyoko
08-03-2002, 07:26 PM
well the lulu costume is done! the con that it was for passed...

what was done:
lace: Iron on printed out and cut then put on....
here a photo of my friend http://www.cosplay.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4867
http://www.cosplay.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4735 (in the back playing with the elavater...)

Yukai
08-04-2002, 10:38 PM
You can't get a good, full view of the dress. But it does look great in the pics. *~thumbs up~* =^.^=

Nyoko
08-04-2002, 11:30 PM
we need to take some pics of the whole costume, I know...

ReiChan
08-04-2002, 11:38 PM
Finally finished my Lulu costume, if anyone's interested ^_^

http://liquid2k.com/raharu/lulu.jpg

Nyoko
08-06-2002, 12:13 AM
the link is not working.....

LiL QoH
08-06-2002, 01:07 AM
ditto...draged and dropped even:crylaugh:

ReiChan
08-06-2002, 01:56 PM
Grrr >_< Damn host. Try this then...

http://www.cosplay.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5274

http://www.cosplay.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5275

I have no Lulu-esque cleavage ;_;

Nyoko
08-06-2002, 10:15 PM
SO pretty!

ReiChan
08-07-2002, 02:18 AM
Thanks! :D

HuongStar
08-07-2002, 02:29 PM
Nyan Nyan:

If you're really serious about doing it, it shouldn't be that hard for you now that everyone gave you all kinds of input & advice. :) The hardest part is going out and finding all of the materials!