PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone get this feeling about cosplay ideas

Dark Vision
11-23-2002, 01:54 PM
Lemme see the best way to say this.

You go throughout the year with mindset of how many costumes you make and which ones you'll make. I personally was planning on only two more costumes.

Then all of a sudden you get a sudden rush or great idea to make a new one... infact you start and finish it before your planned ones. I've haven't even started on my planned ones but already trying to finish three spurr of the momment ones.

Just wondering if anybody else works by a cosplay muse of inspiration too.

Nietsche
11-23-2002, 02:06 PM
You always seem to hit the nail on the head!
So much was planned but I don't start them cos i wanna finish some spur of the moment ones!

Recca-kun
11-23-2002, 03:09 PM
Yeah, just in the past few weeks I've thought of a lot more ideas. Don't know how many of them will be finished next year though... ^_^;

Chosuke
11-23-2002, 03:47 PM
Yeah.. I plan one or two,and then I see something new and get so excited I just HAVE to do that one also.
Doesn't help that i'm a major procrastinator either.. so the ideas just keep getting piled up on one another and stress me out.

Sami
11-23-2002, 06:32 PM
Are you reading my mind? I do that all the time.. ^____^;;;

Tenjou
11-23-2002, 06:34 PM
Yes!! Defeinately. Especially when I'm on here, or any other cosplay site. I see someone do one character, then I must do that character! Or if I find a cool picture of a character, sometimes it emits sonic cosplay-waves manipulating my mind to make me cosplay that character.

Sami
11-23-2002, 06:48 PM
LOL sonic waves! Ack!! *hide*

For me it usually happens when I watch an old favorite anime of mine and suddenly get hooked on it all over again.. (the same goes with games!) Or I get a new anime/game and am so entranced by it that I can't think of anything except making a costume for my favorite character.. ^__^;;;

psythe
11-23-2002, 06:50 PM
Yeah I hear that, or halfway through a project I'll get this "Can I really pull this character off" blues, and want to scrap the whole thing.

Recca-kun
11-23-2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Sami
For me it usually happens when I watch an old favorite anime of mine and suddenly get hooked on it all over again.. (the same goes with games!) Or I get a new anime/game and am so entranced by it that I can't think of anything except making a costume for my favorite character.. ^__^;;; Yeah, on too many occasions I start watching a show and then start thinking I want to cosplay character X. ;)

Tenjou
11-23-2002, 07:52 PM
[ LOL sonic waves! Ack!! *hide* ]

Hehe! ^^ It happens to me, I swear!!

Karisu-sama
11-23-2002, 08:20 PM
Now I wanna add Aya from Weiss to my "wanna make it" list.

But I probably won't.

I have no TIME to make additional costumes *grumble stupid life-eating job*...

Jibrille
11-24-2002, 12:23 AM
yes! i just recently hit this with my sudden hard core urge to do my Arashi costume. its just like all of a sudden nothing else matters and i HAVE to make it.
i just bought the fabric yesterday. ^^

shame my sewing machine died today... damn thing....

Michi
11-24-2002, 02:07 AM
I always plan 389475349284572 costumes I wanna do for the next year, and then maybe do one of them and many other spur of the moment ideas. o_o;

Sigh. ^^;

Pink Bunnie
11-24-2002, 02:21 AM
I have a lil book full of tons and tons of pics of costumes I wanna do...and I never do any of em XD I get these random ideas and run out n buy all da materials and if I'm lucky finish it...I have quite a few unfinished costumes cuz of those random urges. XD But I have fun and thats all that matterz *squee*

Celine
11-24-2002, 08:10 AM
Yes, I do that all the time. I plan out tons of cool costumes to do (often with friends for groups), and then, shortly before a convention, I get an urge to do something completely different, and that becomes my #1 priority because I'm so inspired and excited to make it. Also, sometimes I will completely lose interest in a costume I've been working on because something else is more appealing (or just simpler). I've learned from this that I'm not 100% reliable for group ideas, so I try to keep those to a minimum. ^_^;; Allowing myself to pick up and scrap ideas whimsically is what makes me happiest.

Sana-chan
11-24-2002, 12:55 PM
Yeah I do that too lol (coughKairicough). I get frustrated when I do that tho cuz other stuff I've had planned and stuff and yeah lol @_@. I'm not going to be making anything new tho for a while... juss finishing all that I've been planning that are unfinished.

Daitenshi
11-24-2002, 01:16 PM
There are so many costumes that I want to do someday. I buy the material, plan on doing A for a con... until I get my latest manga or tapes shipment and hey now I _have_ to have B! And then A gets set aside and is either done later or forgotten entirely ^^;;
I actually have two costumes that I started years ago but never finished.... Aya (Ayashi no Ceres) and Hitomi (Escaflowne movie). I couldn't believe it, but as I'm cleaning out the house I finally threw that fabric and the half-finishd costume away. They were started when I was still in the beginning stages of learning how to sew, so the fabric really can't be saved. I still want to do Aya someday, but this time I'm waiting until I really know I can finish it ^^

My favorite last minute costume is Hatsumi. My friend, Thea (girl on the left) had brought over her AX DVD magazine during a sewing weekend in preparation for Anime Expo 2001. When I saw those chibi little angels in the fanart section I just had to do it ^^ It was quite a scramble to order the feathers, make wings, figure out the costumes, etc with so little time @_@:
http://www.daitenshi.com/costumes/hatsumi/hatsumi6.jpg

Tenshi
11-24-2002, 05:36 PM
I do it too! I never seem to do well on strictly planned costumes. My Deedlit costume is currently in the bottom drawer of my dresser, not to return until next spring ^^;;. And I started it last August! O_o My "possiblities" page on my cosplay site never changes, because I get inspired >.<. Take my new cosplay obsession, BT from .hack//SIGN. I saw a wallpaper with her on it and ran out immediately to get all the materials. I'm halfway done already, and I just started Thursday! And I won't get to see any of the anime until Monday ^^;;. Yes, I'm bad about impulse cosplay ^_^.

cutekawaii
11-24-2002, 11:18 PM
I made a list like 2 years ago of all the costumes I wanna do in the future, with pics and everything. Form that list I've done maybe....2? lol

Whoever said the "fall in love all over again" thing is right. That's what happened with Mileena...same for Jun Jun, kind of. I bought the materials and did a little of Jun Jun a year or so ago, and I've only recently started working on it again.

Also, if I'm at the fabric store and I see the peeerfect fabric for X even though I'm working on Y and need X for like 2 years later, I'll buy X's fabric and work on it, and Y is ignored ^_^

Here's another thing...has anyone been kept awake at night thinking about how to make a certain costume? I know I've been up all hours thinking about KH Sephiroth and how to make it perfectamundo...but have I started? NO!

Jinx
11-25-2002, 12:37 AM
Yes yes!! I have my set list of costumes and cons I'm wearing them to, and I was so desparate to sew a costume that I decided to make this Lum costume (http://www.animeshrine.com/gallery.php?series=uruseiyatsura&image=20) because it'd be cheap quick and easy. I'm done with all but the shoulder pieces and boot covers, and I don't even know if I'm actually going to wear it. o.O

Bell-chan
11-25-2002, 01:45 AM
Yeah. That happens to me, but doesn't it happen to almost everyone here? ^__^ I had just recently seen a few new anime (new meaning...ones I hadn't seen yet, not newly released >.<), and now I've got all these new ideas which seem to be preventing me from wanting to finish my planned ones first @_@

Something Lulu
11-25-2002, 11:58 AM
I get a lot of ideas but I like to cosplay with groups, so any costume for a group that I've committed myself to takes first priority. (Besides, my cousins would kill me if I dropped out of a group lol - or help me finish, like this year. ^_^) Any other costumes I randomly add to my wishlist are usually characters who I think are cool *and* easy to make, since I probably won't have a lot of time to spend on them, and no one is counting on me to make them.

My main problem is actually buying the fabric. It's something I would have to go out really early to do, and have a lot of money and time to spend on the trip. Since I'm severely lacking in both departments, fabric trips are few and far between. That's why I've been working on wigs and shoes now. ^_^

Mink
11-25-2002, 02:25 PM
Yes yes yes! The story of my life....I am forever doomed to start a costume and then see a new anime and just have to do Kagome (my newest obsession) or whatever! Its kinda frustrating, but on the other hand, at least Im never out of options....

Oh and I can totally related to Lulu....fabric trips take forever....my poor roomates are like "lets go to walmart" and Im in the fabric section for at least a hour and a half just LOOKING at the fabric, even if I dont want to make anything...let alone looking at patters, ribbion, stuffing ect. At least it gives me somthing to do.

djmihoshi
11-27-2002, 01:29 PM
You go throughout the year with mindset of how many costumes you make and which ones you'll make. I personally was planning on only two more costumes.

Awwwww yea. My first costume was going to be Mihoshi, but then I all of the sudden one night started making one of the washu puppets and then did the washu costume.

Then over the summer I was planning to do Hamtaro. I have the fur in my closet and everything. Then my sister said I reminded her of Asuka from Evangelion, and now I'm halfway done with her plugsuit. I'm also trying to force myself (it's sooooo hard) to stop planning this awesome Totoro costume. Bah. curse you, you oh-so-tempting spurr of the moment costumes!

....hmmm..I wonder if Milly Thompson would be a hard costume to pull off...

Sakura
11-27-2002, 01:31 PM
I do that TOO often... and my wallet ends up suffering ^_^; Ah well, I need to build up my costume collection now since I'll be hard to create things alone when I'm at college 3,000 miles away from home.