PDA

View Full Version : bronzer on (really) white people

JunJun
05-19-2004, 10:46 PM
This is similar to another thread, but different enough to warrant its own thread.

I'm white. Damn white. I'm doing a costume which will be exposing quite a bit of skin, and i'm interested in those spiffy powder bronzers and body foundations and such. How do powder bronzers do on very pale skin? Is the effect so strong that my body will look a funny shade compared to my face? Or will it be obvious that i'm very pale, using a weird color powder? Do they make this sort of product for pale people?
As far as body foundations go, where do you find them? I didn't see them at wal-mart (and for that matter, only saw one bronzing powder there, too).
Are they used just like facial foundation? Because when i'm going to be in photographs, i use heavy makeup. Would one be able to use a concealer under the foundation just like on the face?
Also, how well do these things stay off of clothing?
Mew *pale*

Thanks!
JunJun

xfallenangelx
05-20-2004, 12:02 AM
I am personally tan, but my best friend has very fair (pale skin) what she uses is the self-tanner lotion. Basically you apply like regular lotion and it dyes your skin tan. So after your "tan" you could buy some bronzer. You can buy bronzer in any makeup section at most stores (Longs, K-Mart, Wallmart). The purpose of brinzer is to give skin a "glowing" look. Not really darken it but make you glow so you don't loo dead. Hope this helps ^^
~Anji

Cherry
05-20-2004, 04:52 AM
I have a similar question to this.

I have to cosplay Anthy from Utena soon, but I am allergic to most bronzers. What should I do?

Scortia
05-20-2004, 08:05 AM
I used Ben Nye cake foundation for Akio... it is for people with sensitive skin yet gives good matte coverage... but be aware that the color on the website is a little darker than it will appear on your face. http://www.ec-securehost.com/WouldYouBelieve/Ben_Nye_Cake_Foundations.html

JunJun
05-20-2004, 10:37 AM
well the problem with the tanning lotion is that i want it to be gone the next day! I may be really white, but i embrace my whiteness :) Plus, i think lotion would end up looking streaky and gross, and i don't want to look tan, just healthy and not ghost-like. I'm definitely going to find some to experiment with, but where can i find it? Not Sephora, that place is sooo expensive. *cry*. Do tanning salons carry bronzer?

Cherry, if i were you, i'd use cake makeup too, but maybe invest in the sealant that Ben Nye has as well, cause i sure wouldn't want brown makeup from your arms getting on a gorgeous red dress.

Scortia
05-20-2004, 01:41 PM
I didn't buy the sealant and it amazingly didn't rub off at all... just a light bit of powder (they sell matching powders too) to set it is all I did and it was on my hands and everything... The fact that my black suit hasn't got a touch of white on it from my J-rock cosplay shows how great the stuff is. *worships it*

But... no one get "Japanese" color for casual use if you are obviously Caucasian... it'll make you appear to have jaundice >_<

Cherry
05-20-2004, 03:59 PM
I am a little worried I won't get the right stuff. Anthy's costume is made from 19 dollar a yard fabric. . . if it rubs, I think I will have a heart attack .

Scortia
05-20-2004, 06:23 PM
$19 a YARD?! O.o;;;; is it laced with gold? Anyway, Ben Nye Cake Foundation is removed with water... and like I said, It didn't rub off onto my costume at all.