PDA

View Full Version : Official Gatherings for A-kon 2004

HuongStar
05-20-2004, 10:48 AM
Here is the thread for anyone who's interested in organizing a group of 3+ cosplayers for A-kon 2004.

To appear on the list, please let me know by posting here or PMing me with the group/gathering information, including:

what anime/manga/videogame/et cetera
date & time
If you have a separate thread for recruiting (either here in the A-kon sub-forum or in the Seeking Cosplayers forum), let me know to link to it here as well.

However, this is not a recruiting thread - this post is only to announce group meetings; anything beyond that might start getting confusing. Also, do not post roll calls or want ads on here. Thanks for your understanding! :D

Friday, June 4, 2004
1:30 pm - Final Fantasy Cosplay (all series): Main lobby
2:00 pm - Naruto Picnic: Pool-side
3:00 pm - J-Pop/J-Rock Costume Contest & Photoshoot: TBA

Saturday, June 5, 2004
12:00 pm - Shonen Ai Photoshoot (all series): TBA
12:00 pm - Full Metal Alchemist: Houston B panel room
1:00 pm - EGL Picnic & Photoshoot: TBA
1:30 pm - Soul Calibur II: Main Lobby
3:00 pm - Naruto Photoshoot: Main Lobby

Nabe-Soft
05-20-2004, 02:01 PM
Final Fantasy Cosplay (any of the games)
Friday June 6 1:30pm
Main lobby

Digital Blush
05-20-2004, 07:38 PM
Final Fantasy Cosplay (any of the games)
Friday June 6 1:30pm
Main lobby

June 6 is a sunday ^^

Cherry
05-20-2004, 08:58 PM
I want to set up an Utena shoot.. but. Dont know what would be a good time.

kyandi-chan
05-20-2004, 10:51 PM
Soul Calibur II
June 5, Saturday
Main Lobby 1:30pm

If anyone has a problem with this, then tell me ^^

Admin
05-20-2004, 11:32 PM
Does anyone know the location well enough to know if there's room somewhere for the cosplay.com group photo?

Cherry
05-21-2004, 01:38 AM
I know that the main lobby is pretty big. I can ask around.

And Kyandi, we don't really need a SCII group thingy. ;x We already are doing you-know-what. ::Thap::

kirineko
05-21-2004, 02:06 AM
Does anyone know the location well enough to know if there's room somewhere for the cosplay.com group photo?

how much room do you need? (i.e. how many people?) I can do some scouting around, and ask if needed.

If you don't mind going outside, etc. there's a nice grassy area across the street from the hotel, (it's part of the bus terminal) that would be good for a LARGE group of people.

Just as long as it's not Saturday from 1-3ish..>>

Also, for individual photshoots, there are some GREAT locations in the surrounding areas. And, for indoor individual photoshoots, I am willing to offer a corner of the Jpop room, as it is HUGE and GORGEOUS. (actually, the entire hotel is gorgeous) Anyway, if you have any questions about that, please email me at yuuyami@comcast.net

Jess
Jpop room Staff Head

kirineko
05-21-2004, 02:13 AM
These are all official events, and with the exception of the EGL picnic, will all take place in the Jpop room, aka Silhouettes bar.

Friday, 3pm
Annual Jpop/Jrock cosplay contest!
(signup required! Signup by prereg Thursday evening from 6-whenever we get bored or 8, or in the Jpop room from 11-2pm.)
Even if you're not participating, be sure to show up in costume! ^_^ I'll be taking pictures!

Saturday, 1pm
(please meet in the Jpop room from 12:30-12:45)
EGL Picnic!
This will be taking place, weather permitting, across the street from the hotel, at the East Transfer Center. Weather not permitting may require a short busride, so I'd suggest picking up a bus-button from prereg for Saturday. ^_^ (basically- if it rains, or if it's UNGODLY HOT outside, both of which may occur, we will go to the West End Marketplace, unless my minion knows of someplace better.)

Saturday, 11:30pm
EGL Fashion Show
Everyone is encouraged to come join us in their favorite gothic lolita, etc. outfit, as several volunteers display their own creations on stage. ^_^ Also, there will be picture taking. ^_^

Admin
05-21-2004, 02:59 AM
how much room do you need? (i.e. how many people?) I can do some scouting around, and ask if needed.
It's hard to tell. It could be as little as 50, as many as 200+ going by past convention numbers. An area big enough for a large group like that and enough room for people to watch/photograph it is key, so probably something outdoors if possible. Thanks for any info you can give.

Is the area across the street easily accessible without causing a traffic hazard crossing the street to get to it?

kyandi-chan
05-21-2004, 07:33 AM
I know that the main lobby is pretty big. I can ask around.

And Kyandi, we don't really need a SCII group thingy. ;x We already are doing you-know-what. ::Thap::

no erm....big photoshoot?...

*pouts* okay okay...*runs off* (p.s. the lady who i consulted about my costume told me that it would be impossible to make it with the materials i had....but my pants and top look awesome!!!)

i wonder what other places are good for gatherings other than this main lobby....

kirineko
05-21-2004, 06:35 PM
What are you guys referring to as 'the main lobby'?

Please keep in mind that we are in a completely different hotel this year, and the setup is quite different. There really isn't a main lobby to the hotel at all.

http://www.a-kon.com/hotel.html

There are maps of the hotel here. Most of the con events are taking place across the street in the hotel's attached convention center. As you can see, the lobby area is actually kind of small. However, the first floor of the convention center, which will be used for Komik Market and exhibition space is quite huge. (The Grand Hall) and there is also lots of space on the second floor, outside of what will be the Dealer's room.

It'd probably be better and more convient, especially for people NOT staying at the Adam's Mark to meet up in the actual convention center, and not at the hotel.

RuthlessJS
05-22-2004, 09:58 AM
I have been to the adam's mark before (originally from dallas) and there are huge amounts of space in the convention center (like kireniko said) where a picture can be taken. Unfortunately I cant think of any in particular. IMHO one suggestion that could be made is to figure out a place for a photoshoot on the first day and make flyer to tape onto the control desk so that everyone can find the place and meet there at the pre-set time. Just an idea. :sunny:

Cherry
05-22-2004, 02:00 PM
I have been to the adam's mark before (originally from dallas) and there are huge amounts of space in the convention center (like kireniko said) where a picture can be taken. Unfortunately I cant think of any in particular. IMHO one suggestion that could be made is to figure out a place for a photoshoot on the first day and make flyer to tape onto the control desk so that everyone can find the place and meet there at the pre-set time. Just an idea. :sunny:

Finally! Someone who has beeeen there! :angel:

kirineko
05-22-2004, 02:31 PM

Actually, they are pulling out the 'Party Board' whcih is this HUGE BLACK MONOLITH that A-kon made just so people can put up notices.

I THINK they are putting it on the first level of the hotel, next to the preregistration desk.

AND...the area surrounded the Adam's Mark is ALSO very cool and very well suited for photoshoots, if you don't mind going outside. I can't suggest anything right off, quite simply becaiuse I haven't had time to EXPLORE during the meetings, but we've driven around a bit, and there's a nice old church with a courtyard, the Crow Museum of Asian Art, a small bamboo stand, and some rather interesting statuary all within a decent walking distance from the hotel.

Scortia
05-22-2004, 10:21 PM
I want to set up an Utena shoot.. but. Dont know what would be a good time.

I know our group is doing our Utena costumes on Saturday morning.

Cherry
05-23-2004, 12:26 AM
I know our group is doing our Utena costumes on Saturday morning.

Well. Pick a time, and let's make it official.

Just to add this, too. There is a Massive Harry Potter Group forming Thursday night. I figure we can hang around the hotel a bit and get pictures before we run to the theatre!

Scortia
05-23-2004, 11:57 AM
Would 9AM be too early?... if so, 10AM.

Some of us are wearing our Potter Friday morning as well.. *shrug*

Ayane_Eiketsu
05-23-2004, 07:07 PM
Okay sorry if this the WRONG place to ask this, but I couldn't find it posted anywhere else....is Thursday the ONLY day you can register for the Jpop/Rock contest? 'Cause i'm from waaaaaaay outta state and I won't get there 'til Friday morning, but I reeeeeeeeeeally wanna enter!! :bouncer:

Scortia
05-23-2004, 07:34 PM
The A-kon site is always best for info... but anyway here is the official site... you have up until 2PM Friday http://www.chintsuuzai.com/jpop/

kirineko
05-23-2004, 10:20 PM
Okay sorry if this the WRONG place to ask this, but I couldn't find it posted anywhere else....is Thursday the ONLY day you can register for the Jpop/Rock contest? 'Cause i'm from waaaaaaay outta state and I won't get there 'til Friday morning, but I reeeeeeeeeeally wanna enter!! :bouncer:

The jpop room opens at 11am Friday morning....go there to sign up for the cosplay.

We will stop signup at approximately 2pm, to allow time to organize all the entries and the like.

Also, you can sign up online, beforehand:
http://www.chintsuuzai.com/jpop/cosplayform.html

If you have any problems with the forum, you can email the information directly to me at yuuyami@comcast.net

Anyone who uses this method, PLEASE enter before June 2nd, as after June 2nd, I will be busy prepping myself to attend the con, and so may not necessarily have time to check my email beforehand.

Jess
Head of Staff, Jpop room

Ayane_Eiketsu
05-24-2004, 12:19 AM
Thanks a buch! I already registered and I'm ready to go.....I just hope I don't do something stupid and embarrass myself. :mfg: {even though I should be used to that by now :geek: }

kirineko
05-24-2004, 06:27 AM
Thanks a buch! I already registered and I'm ready to go.....I just hope I don't do something stupid and embarrass myself. :mfg: {even though I should be used to that by now :geek: }

Lol. I'm sure you'll be just fine. ^_^

Just remember, relax!

We do have a very small raised stage that everyone will be walking across. Also, I will be take pictures during the cosplay contest, to help with judging, and because, well, I want them! :F

I don't know how much stage work you've done, but it really works best to think about going from point A to point B, and what you're doing in that time frame, than to think about alllll the people out there who are watching you, because the jrock cosplay is traditionally pretty well attended.

but anyway. I'm sure you'll do fine. We're all nice people. ^_^

kyandi-chan
05-24-2004, 11:18 PM
chuuurch. anyone have any photos of the surrounding areas?

Akari Hoshi
05-24-2004, 11:57 PM
Series: All Series.
What: Shonen Ai Photo Shoot
When: Saturday at Noon
Where: TBD

Yummy Shonen Ai goodness. If you've entertained a shonen ai fantasy about your character, bring him to the shoot. I'm going to be dressed as Hatsuharu Sohma with a Yuki in his girl's uniform. I know the Gravi boys will be there along with the Gundam Boys. We'll take anyone and everyone BUT KEEP IT CLEAN! Kyo no Miko has shut us down once on the A-Kon board and threatened to do it again. I don't want this to get shut down. PM or e-mail me for further details!!

Cherry
05-25-2004, 12:28 AM
Series: All Series.
What: Shonen Ai Photo Shoot
When: Saturday at Noon
Where: TBD

Yummy Shonen Ai goodness. If you've entertained a shonen ai fantasy about your character, bring him to the shoot. I'm going to be dressed as Hatsuharu Sohma with a Yuki in his girl's uniform. I know the Gravi boys will be there along with the Gundam Boys. We'll take anyone and everyone BUT KEEP IT CLEAN! Kyo no Miko has shut us down once on the A-Kon board and threatened to do it again. I don't want this to get shut down. PM or e-mail me for further details!!

It was stupid, what they told you was 'dirty' on the A-Kon boards. On these boards, you can say the word yaoi, because it isn't modded by homophobes. <3. ^_^

Dosu137
05-25-2004, 06:24 PM
Heres what i got on the Naruto people

Friday June 4th Naruto Picnic at the Pool
Time:2:00

I think we were sopose to have a Schedule for a little Naruto 2 Tournament or something like that but im lost there

ayanamilisa
05-26-2004, 12:47 PM
Does anyone wanna set up a FFX-2 shoot cuz i would luv that
I have a shoot on Sunday at noon
and some other ones floating around
and of course the cosplay
but if you guys wanna set something up i'd luv that

Skyline Kyo
05-28-2004, 01:57 AM
Any chance of a KoF photoshoot?
I read on the A-kon boards that theres going to be a Fighters Cosplay Photoshoot on Saturday Morning at 10:00 A.M.

HuongStar
05-28-2004, 12:52 PM
Let me remind you all that this is not a recruiting thread. This post is only to announce group meetings; anything beyond that might start getting confusing. Also, do not post roll calls or want ads on here.

Thanks for your understanding!

Integral
05-29-2004, 02:23 AM
I'd like to try and get a group photo of all Full Metal Alchemist costumers this year. Anyone interested can meet outside the Houston B panel room at 12:00 Noon. Not sure how many costumers will be there, but since it's a popular series, I figure there should be enough for a few quick photos. Merriment and gaiety all around. <3 ^_^

Abarero
05-29-2004, 07:33 AM
I'd like to try and get a group photo of all Full Metal Alchemist costumers this year. Anyone interested can meet outside the Houston B panel room at 12:00 Noon. Not sure how many costumers will be there, but since it's a popular series, I figure there should be enough for a few quick photos. Merriment and gaiety all around. <3 ^_^

12:00 on which day?

I'm coming down as Edward and I'll have a Winry and an Izumi with me- but at Noon Friday we will be in the process of signing up our skit for the cosplay contest (since sign-ups are noon-3 Friday and I don't dare wait)

Integral
05-29-2004, 01:34 PM
12:00 on which day?

I'm coming down as Edward and I'll have a Winry and an Izumi with me- but at Noon Friday we will be in the process of signing up our skit for the cosplay contest (since sign-ups are noon-3 Friday and I don't dare wait)

Ack, sorry. Kind of missed an important detail there! XD
Saturday. I should have a Roze and an Ed, and I'm wearing Izumi. We should be able to take a lot of fun photos with that combination! :O

Abarero
05-29-2004, 09:51 PM
Ack, sorry. Kind of missed an important detail there! XD
Saturday. I should have a Roze and an Ed, and I'm wearing Izumi. We should be able to take a lot of fun photos with that combination! :O

We'll probably be there then ^^

Do you have any idea where that panel room is at the new hotel? (ah, I miss knowing where things were!)

Integral
05-30-2004, 06:36 AM
We'll probably be there then ^^

Do you have any idea where that panel room is at the new hotel? (ah, I miss knowing where things were!)

I don't have a floor plan, so I'm not sure. I picked that spot because most other groups will probably be meeting in the lobby or at the bar, and it's bound to be really crowded in the middle of the day Sat. Though.. it's not too hard to spot Ed cosplayers since they wear bright red coats.. lol I figured outside a designated panel room would be easier since it's less likely to have major traffic, and it's somthing everyone can get to with a con map. Shouldn't be too tough.
I finished my brother's Ed costume (http://www.paper-wings.org/gallery/projects/coslabed.jpg) last night, so he's nearly ready! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions on meeting times, suggestions, etc. :) I don't want to clutter things up for everyone else.

Abarero
05-30-2004, 07:01 AM
I don't have a floor plan, so I'm not sure. I picked that spot because most other groups will probably be meeting in the lobby or at the bar, and it's bound to be really crowded in the middle of the day Sat. Though.. it's not too hard to spot Ed cosplayers since they wear bright red coats.. lol I figured outside a designated panel room would be easier since it's less likely to have major traffic, and it's somthing everyone can get to with a con map. Shouldn't be too tough.
I finished my brother's Ed costume (http://www.paper-wings.org/gallery/projects/coslabed.jpg) last night, so he's nearly ready!

Okay, was looking at the floor plan for the new hotel and figured out the location (it's on the 3rd floor) ^^;;

The cosplay looks awesome, and I'll probably note to other FMA-related communities that we're gathering the A-kon FMA picture gathering at that location and time.

See ya then ^^

polaris~chan
05-31-2004, 11:04 AM
anyone going parakiss?

kyandi-chan
06-02-2004, 03:55 PM
Soul Calibur II group?
i kinda lost where they would be..

but we're having a shoot on saturday at around 2 - 3 ish.
o.0 lillyxandra...haruka? anyone? *crickets chirp*

Radical Urd
06-02-2004, 11:33 PM
Awwww a Paradise Kiss cosplay????? OHHHHH!!!! Okay i've got three costumes Urd from Ah My Goddess, Anthy from Utena, and Miwako from Paradise Kiss BUT i'm only there for Sunday and Saturday.
Theres an Utena group on Saturday.... so is Sunday good for ParaKiss?