PDA

View Full Version : Lakewood, Ohio Anime Festival; June 12 2004

Lara
05-21-2004, 01:44 PM
I know there was a thread like this a month or so ago, but are people still going to this? It sounds like a good time. There's the music video contests, gaming rooms, door prizes, viewing rooms, and the cosplay contest/photoshoot. I like the fact that it's free too. :D
Everything is at the site.
http://www.lkwdpl.org/anime/

It's a one day thing from 1 P.M - 8:45 P.M on a Saturday.

Anyone else think they might go? And if ya are, are ya cosplayin'?

Anne Packrat
05-21-2004, 07:02 PM
I'm there. Dunno what I'll do yet. Maybe grunty.

Bobbi
05-21-2004, 08:33 PM
I'm planning on going. I think I'll wear Rabi~en~Rose. ^^

akicafe
05-25-2004, 06:18 PM
Just to let people know, I'm the guy behind this festival and I hope that everyone can make it and enjoy it ^_^.

We have posted rules for cosplay, general rules and a schedule of events over on the site. There will be prizes'o'plenty and even an afterparty at yours truly's house (invitation only ^_~)

http://www.lakewoodpubliclibrary.com/anime (or http://www.lkwdpl.org/anime)

Thank you all hope to see you there!
Mike B.

akicafe
05-25-2004, 06:20 PM
Also BTW, Here are the rules:

1) Large Cosplay props and any form of weapons are NOT allowed, due to federal guidelines for Libraries.
2) Costumes must be family friendly, a "PG" guess on rating is best.
3) Large costumes are not permitted, there is not a lot of space (ie. no wings, no giant skirts, etc..)
4) Try and make your costume comfortable to wear, June temperatures in Lakewood can be in the 90's!
5) Most importantly, Be polite to everyone, remember that there are other patrons not involved with the Anime Festival that are still using the library!

By large skirts we mean along the lines of wedding dress stuff, frilly and poofy skirts (like rabi~en~rose) should be ok ^_^.

As per the rest of the rules, remember that this is a Public Library, so some of those rules were unavoidable ^^;;;

again, hope everyone can make it and have fun!

Bobbi
05-25-2004, 10:03 PM
Arg! I just found out that I won't be able to make it because of an Ikasucon staff meeting in cincincatti. =( I was really looking forward to going to this too. *sigh*

Anne Packrat
05-26-2004, 05:24 AM
As per the rest of the rules, remember that this is a Public Library, so some of those rules were unavoidable ^^;;;

again, hope everyone can make it and have fun!

I'll probably wear my grunty outfit. It'll be hot, but is the library air conditioned? You realize you're going to get a lot of people right? I hope you all can handle it.

akicafe
05-26-2004, 08:53 AM
The library is air conditioned. Just make sure you are comfortable.

And you tell jinnai john and nicole that you are missing that ikasucon meeting to go to mike b's festival ~_^ They would understand, I promise.

Lara
05-27-2004, 02:03 AM
Heh, I guess Cowboy Bebop's Faye probably wouldn't be really PG then. :D Teehee! I guess I'll do Aeris for this one.

Artzydivahuf
05-28-2004, 08:38 PM
Hmm, this sounds interesting... I just need to figure out where Lakewood is exactly... I'm from the Northwest Ohio area... is it that far?

And if I can talk my boyfriend into it, and we both get that day off, I'm SO there!!! (dressed as, well see the avitar)

akicafe
06-01-2004, 06:22 PM
just hop onto route 2 to 90 east, exit off at McKinley ave./Lakewood, turn left onto McKinley, turn right onto hilliard, turn left onto Arthur Ave and the library is at the end of the street on your right.

official directions can be found here: http://lkwdpl.org/about/libintro.htm

Lakewood is the first city/suburb west of Cleveland. the area code is 44107, and here's a link to a mapquest map of the library (zoom out to see I-90):
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&countryid=250&addtohistory=&searchtab=address&searchtype=address&address=15425+detroit+ave&city=lakewood&state=&zipcode=44107&fakeTab.x=0&fakeTab.y=0

hope this helps, and more importantly, I hope to see you there ^_^

Splenda
06-01-2004, 08:48 PM
I'm planning on going as I only live about half an hour away. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the people I met at Colossalcon again (I was Amano Terra). I plan on going in my Meroko costume from Full Moon wo Sagashite (much cooler to wear)...is that PG enough for the Anime Festival? I have pictures in my gallery if you need a reference.

Looking forward to it!

akicafe
06-02-2004, 09:52 AM
It's really hard to rate some costumes ^^;;; but my supervisor says it's fine. (I like your kagura BTW) see you there!

I'm planning on going as I only live about half an hour away. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the people I met at Colossalcon again (I was Amano Terra). I plan on going in my Meroko costume from Full Moon wo Sagashite (much cooler to wear)...is that PG enough for the Anime Festival? I have pictures in my gallery if you need a reference.

Looking forward to it!

Miyabi-
06-03-2004, 02:14 AM
So is Lakewood a suburb of Columbus? If so, I'm just an hour north of Columbus and if I try, I might be able to get the day off of work for it.
Can anyone give me directions from RT 23 onward?

Bobbi
06-03-2004, 03:27 AM
Lakewood is near Cleveland, so you would be a good 2 hours away from there. :)

akicafe
06-03-2004, 05:36 PM
lakewood is the first suburb west of Cleveland, not C-bus ^_^;;; it will take you about an hour to 1.5 hours to get to Lakewood, just take 71 north to 90 west, exit at warren road (off of 90), turn right onto warren road, go up and turn left on detroit in downtown lakewood, and the library is four blocks down on your left. see the map I linked to and official directions above for reference. one week and one day left, panic time for me ^^;;;

*Sugar*
06-07-2004, 12:24 PM
Hrm, I think I might have off work ^^!!!! . .. Maybe I can go too!

edward4th
06-08-2004, 03:42 PM
Definitely showing up and bringing along three friends for sure, one other might drop in for awhile. Also definitely cosplaying as Ed from Bebop - I live right here in town, so I'm really excited about this. I've called the library twice, just to double-check some things. Gonna be fun! :bigtu:

Lara
06-08-2004, 05:55 PM
Is there a specific time that we must be there by to get in? I have a couple friends who might be running late and I wasn't sure is there is a set time in which we have to be there or certain times in which events start.

akicafe
06-08-2004, 06:17 PM
you will get a cosplay registration form when you arrive and pickup your attendee materials (free I might add). Fill out the form and keep it with you. The door to the hall cosplay room (we wont have access to this room until late afternoon) will open around 6:30. Hand in your registration form at the judges table in the room. The judging will start at 7:00pm. your name will be called and you will report to the judges table, where you will be judged. If you are not being judged, you are welcome to converse with other cosplayers, or even perform a short cameo on our (small) stage.

edward4th
06-08-2004, 08:01 PM
If you are not being judged, you are welcome to converse with other cosplayers, or even perform a short cameo on our (small) stage.

Will it be possible to just do a short monologue, like with various quotes from the character?

Anne Packrat
06-08-2004, 10:23 PM
you will get a cosplay registration form when you arrive and pickup your attendee materials (free I might add). Fill out the form and keep it with you. The door to the hall cosplay room (we wont have access to this room until late afternoon) will open around 6:30. Hand in your registration form at the judges table in the room. The judging will start at 7:00pm. your name will be called and you will report to the judges table, where you will be judged. If you are not being judged, you are welcome to converse with other cosplayers, or even perform a short cameo on our (small) stage.

Hey, I'm in broadcast school and we're doing a short newscast. Could I possibly film, interview you there?

Trey Frost
06-10-2004, 05:42 AM
I’ll be there! Along with my two brothers and possibly another friend or two. I don’t have any costumes ready, so I guess I’ll cosplay as myself this time. Seems like it’ll be a lot of fun. See ya there!

Mamochan
06-10-2004, 03:09 PM
Will non-anime cosplay be judged?

Zirofax
06-11-2004, 09:11 PM
I've never been to lakewood before, and I am worried about driving there. Does anyone know what the area around it is like?

bowzer
06-13-2004, 07:54 AM
i went to it, it was fun, they played movies and shows and vidoes and had a DDr competition, cool prizes and stuff, i even saw haruko from FLCL there!

akicafe
06-21-2004, 10:53 AM
sorry I didn't get a chance to answer all of your questions in time (things got really hectic). I hope everyone had a good time, and I'll be posting the winners (and maybe their pictures) later this week here.

I'll also try and get a gallery up. We had around 50 people cosplaying out of around 450 people that showed up!