PDA

View Full Version : Inuyasha Dub on Cartoon Network

MargauxZ
11-24-2002, 12:59 AM
Is anyone else very dissapointed with the Inuyasha dub on Cartoon Network? I usually like dubs. Most anyway. I am very accepting of dubs.

But I am utterly disgusted and pissed off at the horrible acting in Inuyasha. The only fitting voice is Richard Cox as Inuyasha. He definitely screwed up tonight though. I can't even explain how pissed I am.

I'm pretty new here, but you might already know how much I love Rumiko Takahashi's manga, and the anime adaptions of her stories.

Gaah. I don't know anymore. *Fumes*

Celine
11-24-2002, 07:59 AM
I've actually missed the show for the last few weeks, but it didn't seem that bad.. ^^ I liked Inu-Yasha's voice particularly. What exactly did he mess up on last night (I only caught the very end when he transformed back to his regular self)?

aeva
11-24-2002, 10:47 AM
I refused to watch the dub at first [they got rid of Inuyasha's Japanese voice. I'm like... in love with his Japanese voice actor. He does... RYUICHI'S voice!! *-*] And yeah. Last night, I descided to give it a try whilst I was on the phone with Tea-chan. After about 10 seconds, I burst out crying. It's soooo bad. ;.; I feel as though they murdered my second favorite show.

Ranma Saotome
11-24-2002, 10:52 AM
I just got back into taping and watching the series again. Last week's episode was a real good one. Like I have said before, I am pro-dub, and so far IY is good. I'm about to go watch last night's episode. I'll be back in an hour.

aeva
11-24-2002, 11:00 AM
I'm generally pro-choice on the dubbing thing, but I just did NOT like this dub. Kagome and Myoga-jiji's voice just... ::twitch:: >.<

KaineMaxwell
11-24-2002, 12:01 PM
For me dubs depends on how good it sounds, and from reading how close the English scripts are to the orginals. Some name changes I can understand from Jap to English.

sailor-moon
11-24-2002, 12:20 PM
i hate the voice actress for kagome!!!!i sound more like the jap. version than she does (should have tried out^.^ j/k) nah, but seriously, i like inu yasha's voice and shippos, a bit better acting would be nice on there part though.

Tenjou
11-24-2002, 12:58 PM
When you grow up on Sailormoon dubs, anything sounds pretty good XD

But seriously, the Inu-Yasha dub is pretty good in my opinion. Kagome's voice is a little annoying to my ears, but hey, what can you do.

sailor-moon
11-24-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Tenjou
[color=deeppink] When you grow up on Sailormoon dubs, anything sounds pretty good XD
color]

GRRR!!>.<...............................^.^

Tenjou
11-24-2002, 01:08 PM
Hehe, I really just meant the SM Classic and SMR dubs. SMS and SMSS were really good. :D -runs and hides-

sailor-moon
11-24-2002, 01:12 PM
::pats ya on head::good boy^.^ i like the 2nd sailormoon voice actress, i forget her name.

Tenjou
11-24-2002, 01:16 PM
-patted- I'm a chick!! XD

I liked Sailor Jupiter and Sailor Neptune's voice actors the best. :D They were cool.

sailor-moon
11-24-2002, 01:19 PM
-patted- I'm a chick!! XD

I liked Sailor Jupiter and Sailor Neptune's voice actors the best. :D They were cool.

woops! its the avatar! i get so confused*.* the voice actress for haruka was great! mivhiru on theother hand, sounded way to old!

chibi-dj
11-24-2002, 02:00 PM
GO SUBS!!!!.......i like subs, i haven't watched inu yasha dubbed, and i don't want to...>.< i don't want my fav show to be ruined by bad voices/ acting. Granted, i have seem good dubs, but itz a personal prefrence.....^_^

Tenjou
11-24-2002, 02:03 PM
[ woops! its the avatar! i get so confused*.* the voice actress for haruka was great! mivhiru on theother hand, sounded way to old! ]

It's ok! :D Yeh, the avatar can be a bit misleading. Haruka's was good too. :D Luna sounds wicked old! X_x They could have made Michi sound younger, but I thought the VA suited her good. ^^: maybe it's just me XD

Ranma Saotome
11-24-2002, 02:05 PM
Okay, wtf?!?!?! *checks tape* Why didn't TF:Armada and IY record?! *checks timer* AARGH!!! *grabs shotgun* Friggin roomate or somebody deleted my damn timer settings! Someone will pay! *sets timer for Everwood and goes out hunting*

chibi-dj
11-24-2002, 02:10 PM
O.o*** eep.......(makes menal note to never piss off Ranma.....)

sailor-moon
11-24-2002, 03:46 PM
ranma is scairy...........................

Ayaka
11-24-2002, 05:04 PM
Admittedly I've only seen like two eps of the Japanese version . . . but the IY dub isn't killing me. It kinda hurts sometimes, like having someone tighten a screw . . . like when Kagome gets especially screechy and says "InuYAAAAHsha!" o.X;;; And I do cringe every time they say Sesshomaru's name. But aside from some sudden attacks of bad acting and some weird pronounciation, it's not that bad.

I don't like the anime as much as the manga though . . . the pacing feels weird, and I have been wondering if that has something to do with the dub. *shrug* I'll have to borrow the series from my friend to see it not dubbed.

But it's not breaking my soul, like the very thought of the voice casting for the upcoming Saiyuki dub. *soul breaks*

Studmaster
11-24-2002, 05:45 PM
Ayaka: Saiyuki's dub is done by ADV, so not only do you have to deal with moronic script changes, you'll also have to deal with the most overrated collection of " Voice Acting Talent" in the Region 1 Sector.

Tenshi
11-24-2002, 06:56 PM
I like Inu-Yasha's voice, but that's about it. Kagome seems to be getting better as the weeks progress. All the other voices are ehh except for the little wolf-boy (dunno his name) who is actually kinda cute ^_^. But keep in mind this is from someone who has never seen the original version.

Ayaka
11-24-2002, 07:54 PM
> Ayaka: Saiyuki's dub is done by ADV, so not only do you have to deal with moronic script changes, you'll also have to deal with the most overrated collection of " Voice Acting Talent" in the Region 1 Sector.

I know. Shoot me now. *sobs* I waited an absurdly long time to even see who'd been cast; I didn't even WANT to know. Two of the main characters are newcomers, so maybe there's a chance with them; but I'm horrified at the casting of my favorite character. It's the guy who did Orphen. Not only can he not act (not if you like your actors to emote, anyway), but he's totally miscast. Considering what happened when I watched the Orphen dub with the subs on (good GOD I couldn't believe the "creative rewrites"), the ADV subs frequently have GRAMMAR mistakes. I'm not normally to the type to be all "omg what did they do to my precious show?!" But, "omg what are they going to do to my precious show?!!" -_-;;; What shall we call them . . . "Atrocious Dub Vendors"? Not to mention that they'll probably be slow as hell getting it out. I'm asking for the raw DVD boxset for Christmas, what can I say.

So to the Inuyasha fans, I know I'm all laid-back about the IY dub; but I DO feel your pain. lol. Oy vey.

Tenshi - He's a fox-boy, and his name is Shippou. ^^ Just fyi. And yeah, I agree, Kagome has improved a bit over the weeks.

Spooky Brew
11-24-2002, 08:11 PM
Dear god, I stopped watching it for, yes, thier voices are horrible, and the prononciation (sp?)!!! I kept screaming at the t.v. to say thier names right...^_^;;;
Inu Yasha sounds WAY to whiney
I got introduced to the subbed series and I cannot part with the japanese voice actors who do to good of a job! I feel sorry for those who all they can do is watch the english version. Okay, I'm done...

sailor-moon
11-24-2002, 09:47 PM
inu yasha's voice is sexy, yet he needs to talk with a bit more meanness^.^

chibi-dj
11-24-2002, 11:25 PM
sailor moon - u think the dubbed is sexy.....listen to the subbed version ^_~ teeheehee

Ranma Saotome
11-24-2002, 11:29 PM
Listen up about the IY dub. If you don't like what I'm going to say... That's too bad, it's the truth.

This is on adult swim. Viz dubbed the entire series, CN is only allowed to do scene edits, nothing else more. So the one's to blame but them. The only way I can be proven wrong on this is that same problem is onthe VHS/DVD release. If it's there, it's there, if not I'm wrong.

sailor-moon
11-24-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by chibi-dj
sailor moon - u think the dubbed is sexy.....listen to the subbed version ^_~ teeheehee

yea, iv seen loads of them!!! love that voice acter! he's not that hot, but i love him anyways!

Babbit_Chan
11-25-2002, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by Ranma Saotome
Listen up about the IY dub. If you don't like what I'm going to say... That's too bad, it's the truth.

This is on adult swim. Viz dubbed the entire series, CN is only allowed to do scene edits, nothing else more. So the one's to blame but them. The only way I can be proven wrong on this is that same problem is onthe VHS/DVD release. If it's there, it's there, if not I'm wrong.

*sobs* It's so great how you defend (some) dubs T-T *sniff*

I had no problem with it other than Kaede's voice. I think we should all agree on that, at least. :D My favorite thing about it was that they didn't use any "special version" of the opening and ending songs which I really appreciated. Heh - the companies are starting to grow up..

Lovelyangel_81
11-25-2002, 03:01 PM
I only watched couple of episodes in Japanese. I rather buy the DVD than watch in on Adult Swim. Nothing against the dub. Actually, I don't stay up long enough to catch it when it is on. I wouldn't mind watching the dub, but I just chose not to.

nekochan
11-25-2002, 11:32 PM
they.. butchered.. inuyasha's.. hot voice.. -falls down sobbing-sighs-

Babbit_Chan
11-26-2002, 12:26 AM
Nekochan - I feel your pain... *melts over his Japanese seiyuu - then over Sesshoumaru's* XD

Madmann
11-28-2002, 05:20 PM
Dont get me started on the Dub *growls

Babbit_Chan
11-28-2002, 09:43 PM
Madmann: I'm loving the Naraku behind ya in your avatar XD

ryuichi fangirl
12-09-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by aeva
I refused to watch the dub at first [they got rid of Inuyasha's Japanese voice. I'm like... in love with his Japanese voice actor. He does... RYUICHI'S voice!! *-*] And yeah. Last night, I descided to give it a try whilst I was on the phone with Tea-chan. After about 10 seconds, I burst out crying. It's soooo bad. ;.; I feel as though they murdered my second favorite show.

Kappei Yamaguchi-sama!! I luv that man^^ ...I loved the japanese version, for two reasons, Yamaguchi as Inu Yasha and Sesshoumaru(the entire character in general)...

KaineMaxwell
12-09-2002, 07:35 PM
I'm actually impressed with the dub so far...

nails
12-10-2002, 03:13 AM
I'm dissapointed with all english dubbing (with mid-western accents). the mid-western voice actors seem to be over paid, and under qualified. Kinda like how everyone enjoyed the Orion dub of Akira more than the Pioneer dub hands down.

Its not like there is no such thing as good english dubbing, but none of these voice actors are even trying. The best English dub I have ever seen is Dominion Tank Police. They did an excellent job, and I wish they would have kept on that track.

When the Japanese decide to dub their own stuff like Armitage III movie, they need to pick people that are good at voice acting not live acting. Keifer Sutherland and that other chick Elizabeth (something forgot her name) are terrible voice actors!! </rant>

SailorAndromeda
12-10-2002, 01:26 PM
Well, the dub isn't SO bad, I can stand it. But I hate, absolutely HATE Kaede's voice! What's with the 'ye' crap? She's from Japan, not Olde Englande! OY!
But I do love the Japanese VA for InuYasha...*MmmmMmmM*
We've been getting the fansubs, so I know what they're supposed to sound like.

Babbit_Chan
12-10-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by SailorAndromeda
Well, the dub isn't SO bad, I can stand it. But I hate, absolutely HATE Kaede's voice! What's with the 'ye' crap? She's from Japan, not Olde Englande! OY!
But I do love the Japanese VA for InuYasha...*MmmmMmmM*
We've been getting the fansubs, so I know what they're supposed to sound like.

I'm so glad I'm not alone on Kaede's voice being in the wrong country...

Celine
12-10-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by SailorAndromeda

She spoke like that in the translated manga as well, if I remember correctly... And, the reason they have that in the first place is to convey the fact that the way she speaks is very old-fashioned, and nobody talks like that anymore. ^^ It's hard to convey that in English without resorting to Olde English.

This past week's episode seemed to have a rather nasty continuity butchering because they were trying to censor out Kagome's bath scene. Bah, it's on adult swim, we can handle cartoon nudity. ^^

SailorAndromeda
12-10-2002, 05:41 PM
bath scene? She was in the bath, but there's more? We just got that episode downloaded, so I'll have to go watch it. BTW, I love the character Miroku, I'm sure he's even better in the original version.
And I understand what they were doing with kaede, it's just SO annoying.

Celine
12-10-2002, 06:03 PM
>bath scene? She was in the bath, but there's more?

Yeah, it "seemed" incoherent, like something was edited right there. I haven't seen the original, so I don't know. I just remember there was more in the manga, which is what I'm basing that comment mostly on. ^^ Do let me know if there was originally more, because I am curious.

KnuxieChan
12-10-2002, 06:51 PM
*Cinnamon cymbol banging face*SHIPPO IS NOT A GIRL!! And he's a kistune v.v.. I like the subs, those guys were sooo good..

SailorAndromeda
12-10-2002, 11:59 PM
Ok, I watched the sub. Yes, there is much more to that episode! There's a scene in the beginning that I believe that butchered. As well as more in the bath. I believe they may have even shown Shippo's "boyhood", but I was watching it on a laptop, and the res wasn't spectacular. I'm hoping it was the res...
Also, there was a bit more in the scene where Miroku asks Kagome to "bear his child".
In the words of Inu Yasha: FEH!
The sub is much better, but the dub is what got me involved, so it's not ALL bad.

Celine
12-11-2002, 12:30 AM
Hehe, thanks for discovering the truth! ^_^ Yay for butchering... Er... I mean... FEH!

I was happy that cartoon network kept as much of Miroku as they did. His personality requires them to let some rather naughty dialogue and behaviors slip into the show... otherwise, they would completely destroy his character and that would be no fun!

SailorAndromeda
12-11-2002, 07:32 PM
Yeah really, I laughed so hard when he was on though! I'm glad they didn't change it, he's so fun in the manga ^^

Ayaka
12-12-2002, 03:12 AM
How do you guys feel about Miroku's dub VA? I'm pleased, personally, but again my only experience is with the manga. He sounds like what I thought he sounded like . . .

videogirlc
12-12-2002, 03:18 AM
Aaah I missed hearing Miroku's english voice. Forgot to watch it too busy with finals.

Cassyndra
12-28-2002, 04:49 PM
I love the dub, its probably cause I saw it before the japanese version. But I saw the Inuyasha movie and I didin't like the voices.

Chiri
12-28-2002, 04:58 PM
Egad x.x;;;;

Why don't they jus' leave it in Japanese, with the subtitles :bigcry: I mean..InuYasha has Hayashi Nobutoshi's voice actor, for Christ's sake!! <dies> <3

-chiri

RoseDuelist
12-28-2002, 06:58 PM
When you grow up on Sailormoon dubs, anything sounds pretty good XD

Lol.. yes, I would have to agree with that. I first watched Sailor Moon when I was 6 so I'm use to bad dubbing. I got the DVD's a couple years ago and switched over to the sub version. I was like "Oh My Gosh! It sounds so much better. Especially the opening theme".

Anyway, I haven't heard the Japanese version of InuYasha so it sounds ok to me. Of course, I've only seen two episodes so I only saw the beginning when they were still trying to sound good. *sigh*.. I've noticed sometimes voice actors slack off after a while in a series..