PDA

View Full Version : Northern Anime Festival 2004

East&WestGaijin
05-24-2004, 02:50 PM
www.northernanime.ca

Is anyone going to this on July 17th? They they're going to have Dealer's Rooms, Artist's Alley, Video Rooms and Special Guests but the fact the programming hasn't even posted yet and parts of the site are overdo from like last August kind of unnerves me.

Is anyone else going to be attending this?

In addition, does anyone know any good Halloween Cosplay/Jpop Parties our group could attend?

white-cross
05-24-2004, 02:58 PM
prolly not..oshawa..i live close to there but i dare not go there

Ochika
05-24-2004, 02:59 PM
there is also going to be a masqurade and a j-pop dance, along with an amv contest. and as for not updateing the site there has been alot of things happning and our web master hasnt had the time to update ( having moved from ajax to hamilton) but it will hopefully all be updated but the end of the month

Lyulf
05-24-2004, 03:07 PM
i'M PLANNING ON GOING :angel:

Ochika
05-24-2004, 03:18 PM
^_^ yay. originally it was supose to be a 3 day con... but since we werent established very long we didnt get out gov grant v_v so we shortened it to a day to see who was interested and to hopefully raise money for next year where it will be a whole weekend. oh yes and dont forget to join the masqurade ^_^ cause im running it XD ill have the reg forms on the site soon if you wana sign up, heh

Ravnos
05-24-2004, 04:24 PM
so its a 1 day con?

East&WestGaijin
05-24-2004, 04:42 PM
so its a 1 day con?

Yeah, just Saturday July 17th. If I'm not in New Brunswick I'll try to go then.

Ochika
05-24-2004, 06:05 PM
ya its a one day con, but it will have all the main events people go to the 3 day cons for... so it wont me like crappy mac tacs ans stuff, we have a masqurade, an amv contest, a dance, dealors room, gaming stations. so it will still be good

Mekou
05-24-2004, 06:27 PM
Yeah. I'm part of the staff too. I've been bugging our webmaster constantly to update the site. <__<

Something I've been looking into is to have video hookup in the green room so people in the masq can watch the entries before them. =) No guarantee this will happen yet but we're trying.

>> prolly not..oshawa..i live close to there but i dare not go there

What's wrong with Oshawa? ;___;

~ ~ ~

Anyways, I'm pretty sure a lot of people already don't think very highly of us but when you're a group of less than 15 people, a majority of which are still in school, we're doing the best we can. We are more determined than ever to make this happen to no amount of bad attention will stop us. =)

edit: The reason that is appeares like the site hasn't been updated since august is because there's a glitch in the coding that posts the wrong posting date. The site was actually updated today.

glass_kitty
05-24-2004, 08:47 PM
ooo...maybe I'll go....I still have money left

Ryukka
05-24-2004, 09:26 PM
>>what's wrong with Oshawa? ;___;
XP one word: shwa. Kay.. so not ALL of Oshawa is dirty...just...the..majority of it.. =PP. Naah, brooklin is FAR more worse -_-; downtown oshawa is freaky though =X

Nah, but Durham Co. is nice n_n

I'll be going for sure, since I'm in Whitby >.>;; yay for 5-10min drives XD

Yuna-X2
05-24-2004, 09:30 PM
Chances are, I'd decide to go if I found out I didn't work that day. Since it's a one day event, there are no worries of hotels and stuff. I'll try going though! :)

Saffi
05-24-2004, 09:35 PM
i was gonna go, but i'll be in bc this year :-( same with TT, hopefully i can still get to CN anime

-saff

Mekou
05-24-2004, 09:45 PM
Oshawa isn't any dirtier than any of city I've seen. ;__; *is hurt by all the comments to her beloved hometown*

On topic, I hope to see peopel from c.c go. ^^

Nancyboynoire
05-25-2004, 09:52 AM
Hmn... July 17th eh?

It could be a fun field trip!

I'll try to haggle my mom into driving me up there... XD

nyamiko_chan
05-25-2004, 05:01 PM
I wanna go!!! ^O^ You'll let me stay with you MEkou-chan right *tackles* heheheh..I could save ze $$ to get up there to save your Papa a trip XD LOL

if not, I'm still so going ^O^ ANBU Kakashi too!! hopefully =3

oneas
05-25-2004, 05:10 PM
ochika, you didnt tell fridge about this site because....? i wanna go, that is if im back from japan by then....

Ryukka
05-25-2004, 07:27 PM
X3 oh yeah, if someone really needs to they can probably stay with moi at my house o_o

Mekou
05-25-2004, 09:12 PM
Nyams!! I will kidnap you for the whole weekend! X3 and we'll watch some anime and tell the characters to do stuff..<.< *looks at readers who are frightened* XD

Lyulf
05-26-2004, 08:53 PM
hopefully I still have my voice by the end of this one

dani
05-27-2004, 03:23 PM
Who is in charge of panel programming? and who in charge of dealers room? Please contact me by PM or AIM or MSN or ICQ or IRC or any other acronym that might do the job. :)

Thanks

Dani

Ochika
05-27-2004, 03:31 PM
if you go to the website you'll find all the information your looking for www.northernanp.s, the stupied webmaster screwed up all the masqurade info, so i gotta hound him now to fix it -_-;. just sp people know there will be a skit contest just before the actual masqurade

Mekou
05-27-2004, 04:33 PM
To correct Ochika, the URL for our website is http://www.northernanime.ca ^^. You will find the e-mails of the people you are looking for on the contact page. =)

Ochika
05-27-2004, 05:08 PM
oppps my mistake XD

kimmycat
05-27-2004, 05:18 PM
I'm probably going.

I'm probably going to cosplay either Ed or Winry from FMA XD

Nagii
05-27-2004, 07:32 PM
What do you ahve to do to start a convention? Just Curious

panzzzzz
05-27-2004, 09:41 PM
I'm looking forward to it.. ^__^

morbid-prince
05-27-2004, 10:23 PM
What do you ahve to do to start a convention? Just Curious

bwaahahah somebody shoudl start a yaoi con here XD <--just a thought cause the gay parade is coming up...good tourist attraction..ne?

morbid-prince
05-27-2004, 10:24 PM
How much is the membership?

Straywind
05-27-2004, 10:36 PM
How much is the membership?

According to the site it says $20 and you have to buy the tickets @ the door.

morbid-prince
05-27-2004, 10:54 PM
According to the site it says $20 and you have to buy the tickets @ the door.

wow, that's a good price! I thnk many ppl from AN are going there since it was so much fun this year no one is ready to end the fun!!

haha maybe you can tell Jen if u see her, we were trying to find the price for awhile tonight until my compuSer frozed :(

Nagii
05-28-2004, 10:11 AM
Well I was thinking with a bunch of people about making a convention here since all the anime conventions are over 3 hours away..plus influence...nice influence

Yuna-X2
05-28-2004, 12:41 PM
I wish there was a con somewhere near the capitol region. Then for once I'd be the one who doesn't have to worry about hotel rooms! Bwahaha!

Lyulf
05-31-2004, 01:53 PM
yeah well I know there won't be a Con where I am its drive and stay no matter what, at least this con is closer to me and is only one day though the site still hasn't shown full timings yet

Mekou
05-31-2004, 02:03 PM
>> though the site still hasn't shown full timings yet

Do you mean times for events and such?

Lyulf
06-01-2004, 08:12 AM
that aswell as start finish time. I know it is only one day but wether or not to try to book one of the rooms if it runs fairly late

Squall1882
06-01-2004, 08:20 AM
How many people would you say attend this event.. and what is the costumed to non-costumed ratio?

Mekou
06-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Lyulf - Convention hours are 9:00am to 2:00 am (The final event being the J-pop dance)

>> How many people would you say attend this event.. and what is the costumed to non-costumed ratio?

This is our first year so we don't know what to expect for this event. I'm sure there will be plenty of cosplayers and aslo the non-costumed folk. I can't say the ratio between them would be but one can assume it would be like any other convention.

A few things I think I should note.

1. For those planning on booking rooms, if you have any trouble with the College Residence Staff with booking a room at the quoted $65 please PM me. Apparently they are charging our attendees $80 even though some already had booked at the quoted $65. We are currently trying to resolve this.
2. Those who wish to join the general volunteer team, there will be a special meeting for you all on Saturday June 12th 2004 @ 1 pm to 5pm in the small meeting room at the Ajax Public Library, all who are interested are welcome to come.

Address:

Ajax Public Library
55 Harwood Ave South
Ajax, Ontario

Scoti
06-01-2004, 02:21 PM
I want to help out but I'm not sure if I can get out to Ajax for this meeting.

Ochika
06-01-2004, 02:23 PM
oh and on another note we got some great judges for the masqurade ( in my eyes anyway) my personal idols Winnie,another person from sma (studio of masqurade arts, hopefully anna n_n) and hopefully Lainey will be able to find a way up here to judge, and scotiiiiiii XD, all i need are 1 or 2 guys to even everything out... >_> thought you's people would like to know whos gona be watching you on stage.

Mekou
06-01-2004, 02:27 PM
Scoti - You can still help out. =)

Lindsay - =O You got Winnie! D00d! ^___^ Hm...If you want, I can find 2 guys judges. =) We need an MC still too. ;_; a LOTS more random ninjas so to our evil bidding. >_> *shifty eyes*

Ochika
06-01-2004, 02:31 PM
i know i e-mailed her asking her and this morning i came on to cheek my e-mail and there was a reply from her saying she was honoured to be asked to come and she was gona try to get anna or another member to come aswell ( i said to bring someone with her) e_e im so happpppy if she gets anna im gona have all my idols in one place lainey, winnie, anna and scoti XD woot woot im exited... AND i found a 4 leaf clover today so its my lucky day

Mekou
06-01-2004, 02:34 PM
Hehe that's awesome. ...now for an MC. O_<;

Ochika
06-01-2004, 02:35 PM
>_> hmmmm maybe i can ask her if she wants to mc.....or has a friend who would...hmmm

Squall1882
06-01-2004, 02:57 PM
What areas do you still need help in? I could possibly help out too

oneas
06-01-2004, 03:02 PM
ochika, would it be possible for me to be a gophor? lol

Ochika
06-01-2004, 03:10 PM
what ever floats your boat >_>;

lainey
06-01-2004, 05:07 PM
ochiki i feel so bad...lainey doesn't think that she deserves to be a judge >_<

i trust it in the hands of winnie for sure...she's 100000 times more qualified than me...

i don't feel right being a masquerade judge O_O

Ochika
06-01-2004, 05:13 PM
NOOO *chains lainey to the judges desk* your one of my idols you have to come, and plus i need 4-5 people to judge and your the first person i asked cause i had talked to you before and wasn't intimidated by your greatness, winnie still gives me butterflies when i see her XD and iv only talked to her through e-mail. lol at an i was her and hid behind a piller admiring her from a distance XD i came up to you and was like " haha, your not moving XD *point and laugh*" and your equally quallified with winnie ;~; you have to come, if not my happy day of getting all the people i admire to judge will be crushed and ill cry v_v

Mekou
06-01-2004, 08:22 PM
Hehe, you can't say no to Ochika. XD

Squall1882 - I'll ask our preisident about that and gt back to you. =) For the time being though you can be a general volunteer if you like.

dani
06-01-2004, 10:03 PM
I'm one of the people who was told $80 per night at the residences. Will call back tomorrow to see what they say...

dani
06-03-2004, 02:04 PM
GRRR!!!
Very pissed about the Durham College Residences. I'm calling again and no matter how much I insist they say "nothing shows up on the screen" under Northern, or Anime, or anything similar. Every two minutes they put me on hold for something... glad I'm not calling from real far...

Ok... now someone else picked up, and took the reservation at the quoted rate. This is progress. I have a room from friday 16 till sunday 18.

Now... he said that from the residences to the con will be a "5 to 10 minute walk". How does it translate in actual distance?

Thanks
Dani

Mekou
06-03-2004, 02:24 PM
>> GRRR!!!
Very pissed about the Durham College Residences. I'm calling again and no matter how much I insist they say "nothing shows up on the screen" under Northern, or Anime, or anything similar. Every two minutes they put me on hold for something... glad I'm not calling from real far...

Oh my, this isn't very good. =( I'm becoming quite annoyed with them...I'm very sorry, Dani, that you had to deal with that. Though, only 4 people that I know of have dealt with Northern Anime Festival staff and that might be the problem.

>> Ok... now someone else picked up, and took the reservation at the quoted rate. This is progress. I have a room from friday 16 till sunday 18.

Remember the convention is only one day..but I suppose it makes sense since the con starts VERY early and ends REALLY late. ^^ Nevermind me then. lol

>> Now... he said that from the residences to the con will be a "5 to 10 minute walk". How does it translate in actual distance?

The residence is on the college campus and as I recall isn't far at all. (Sorry I don't know the actual distance. It really is only a 5-10 minute walk, depeding on your footwear, how tired you are, etc). You were put in the south residence right?

Again, I'm very sorry you had to deal with this. We're going to deal with this ASAP or at least I will since I live only a 20 minute drive the the campus.

My advice for everyone is to hold tight for a while before you try reserving a room until this has been dealt with. I will post here any news about it here. =)

~ ~ ~

*turns back into less serious and professional Mekou* >_<;;; Rawr..

Sarcasm-hime
06-03-2004, 02:45 PM
If you're still looking for judges...I could do it. Dunno if you've filled the spots or have other people in mind. *shrug* But if you need one, just let me know. ^_^

Mekou
06-03-2004, 03:04 PM
Sarcasm-hime ~ If Ochika doesn't reply to this thread with your answer I'll ask her poersonally and see how many spots are left. =)

dani
06-03-2004, 03:16 PM
Oh my, this isn't very good. =( I'm becoming quite annoyed with them...I'm very sorry, Dani, that you had to deal with that.
No worry. I know you had nothing to do with it..

The residence is on the college campus and as I recall isn't far at all. (Sorry I don't know the actual distance. It really is only a 5-10 minute walk, depeding on your footwear, how tired you are, etc). You were put in the south residence right?
No clue as if south or where... if you have a good insider maybe we could contect them eventually and move my reservation to whetever suits best.
As for walking, I'll probably be in full costume ( :) ) carrying a bunch of boxes. Maybe I should drive, if at all possible...

Dani

Ochika
06-03-2004, 07:32 PM
Sarcasm-hime i would be absolutly delighty if you would judge ^_^ now i gotta find a guy to join....know any seasoned male cosplayers? >_>

Squall1882
06-04-2004, 07:36 AM
Hey guys...

Is Hwy 2 in Oshawa called King St.? This is the road that the Go bus travels right? Oh.. and is it walking distance from where the GO bus would let you off to the school (how long) or do you need to get the Oshawa transit bus?

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu!!
Genki de

nyamiko_chan
06-04-2004, 11:33 AM
What areas do you still need help in? I could possibly help out too
Ditto Squall! I could help out maybe? As long as it doesn't conflict with my helping out with Dani! I told him I'd help him with her Dealer's Table for NAC

Anything I could do? Maybe I could be a ninja >O> *hi-yas a random person* =P

dani
06-04-2004, 02:12 PM
As long as it doesn't conflict with my helping out with Dani! I told him I'd help him with her Dealer's Table for NAC

Glad to see my efforts as a crossplayer are working as expected :)

Kaijugal
06-04-2004, 08:49 PM
This sounds interesting. ^_^ How many people here intend to enter the masquerade?

Ochika
06-04-2004, 10:57 PM
speaking about the masq....we have decided that crappy ass ribbons wont do as far as awards go...so me and my assistant are designing a cute plushie to give to the award winners ^_^v but what it's going to be is a secrete

Sarcasm-hime
06-05-2004, 12:55 AM
The reason AN uses ribbons is that it costs money to buy/make awards (money that could be used for other stuff at the con, like guests), and if big groups win then who gets the award? it can be complicated. For a small con, though, it might work. If you have time to make all the plushies *lol*

Ochika
06-05-2004, 10:58 AM
iv already made 3 last night >_> their really simple,and cute!of course them all being hand made dont expect any masterpeices >_>

Infini
06-13-2004, 10:36 PM
I'll probably come if my car is working well enough to make the trip. Car stinky. If I do go I'll be wearing my ChiChi costume, and if it gets too warm for that, I'll wear my C4 Ayane. XD

Lights are flickering here from the lightning storm, so I should probably turn off my computer before it explodes in my face.

-Infini

SumThinUglyBabe
06-18-2004, 02:54 PM
I'm hoping to go! i went to Anime North... i hope they know whatthey are doing this time heh....

dani
06-25-2004, 12:32 AM
Well... It's official: my panel is listed on the Programming page: http://www.northernanime.ca/?mod=prog Now I guess I'll have to go.... (kidding ;))

Naziel456
06-28-2004, 05:12 PM
wrong forum!

nyamiko_chan
06-30-2004, 11:43 PM
*cough* ^_^;;;;; my bad Dani ...
-----

Limme know if there's anything I might be able to help with ^_~
even IM me on MSN =P I'm always online! mekou-chan can always let me know too ^.^Vm

Jo_Canadian
07-03-2004, 11:00 AM
does anyone know how to get ahold of a room cause i tried and there system is confusing. i mean like a dorm room for storage

nyamiko_chan
07-04-2004, 01:04 PM
This sounds interesting. ^_^ How many people here intend to enter the masquerade?
I plan to enter the Masq !! I hope I can get a wig for it before then too :P

i'll have Rydia for it then and I'm working HARD on it! Yay for walk ons! =3

Sarcasm-hime
07-10-2004, 10:20 PM
How are people planning on getting up there? (those who don't live there already) I could bug my hubby into driving me, but I think there are things he'd rather spend his Saturday on than ferrying me up to Oshawa.

Jo_Canadian
07-10-2004, 11:08 PM
if you can get to the north yorksubway terminal. there is a go bus you can take. if you want details pm me (that goes for anyone)

dani
07-11-2004, 01:59 AM
I'm driving there friday night. Most of the car will be packed with my travelling circus, and the only free seat has been offered to someone already. If for any reason that someone decides not to take it, I'll offer it here.

Mekou
07-11-2004, 04:51 PM
You can take the GO train to Pickering (that's as far as it goes on weekends and holidays), then take the GO bus to Oshawa station and if you let me know beforehand I should be able to provide pick up for some people there (max of 7). So if you plan to take that route, pm me. =)

Infini
07-12-2004, 12:28 AM
I probably won't be able to go after all, for the usual car reasons. I'll just have to wait until CN. :)

-Infini

Jo_Canadian
07-12-2004, 08:32 AM
or you oculd just grab the go bus from the york mills subway station on the yellow line and it takes you directly to oshawa, no stop offs or waiting. thats how my group is gonna get there

Straywind
07-12-2004, 04:24 PM
or you oculd just grab the go bus from the york mills subway station on the yellow line and it takes you directly to oshawa, no stop offs or waiting. thats how my group is gonna get there

Pan and I are doing the same thing bright and early on Saturday morning. We're looking forward to NAF. It should be a fun con and a good farewell for me as I'm going away on vacation the Monday right after the con.

Ochika
07-12-2004, 07:01 PM
Kagome x.X do you think you can ask Pan to e-mail me back and tell me if shes gona judge >.> im still not sure if she wants to be on the panel or not. she should have my e-mail..i think. if not its Little_elf_girl@hotmail.com

Straywind
07-12-2004, 07:46 PM
Kagome x.X do you think you can ask Pan to e-mail me back and tell me if shes gona judge >.> im still not sure if she wants to be on the panel or not. she should have my e-mail..i think. if not its Little_elf_girl@hotmail.com

That's strange. After Mekou e-mailed me I told Pan, she sent a reply e-mail accepting the position right away to someone organizing the masq. (I believe whoever it was that posted in her message centre although I'm not sure if it was you). She was worried because she never got a response e-mail back.

Anyway, she has accepted and that's why we are going down together as early as possible on Saturday morning. I'm seeing Pan tomorrow so I'll mention this to her if you like, but I can tell you 100% that she will be doing it if you will still have her. (^^)

Ochika
07-12-2004, 09:11 PM
ahhh ok, ya i did get an e-mail back ^_^ just she said she wasnt 100% sure, but i guess she is, lol. anyway i cant wait to see you all on saturday. you'll be able to find me at the masqurade reg desk >.> which is in the dealers room. so when you can come check in with me ^_^v

Straywind
07-12-2004, 09:33 PM
ahhh ok, ya i did get an e-mail back ^_^ just she said she wasnt 100% sure, but i guess she is, lol. anyway i cant wait to see you all on saturday. you'll be able to find me at the masqurade reg desk >.> which is in the dealers room. so when you can come check in with me ^_^v

I was under the impression that she had said a definite yes. (^^);; I think the problem @ the time was that she wasn't sure how we would find our way down to the con from Toronto, but we've since corrected the problem. (^^)

You want Pan there @ 9AM, right? Is the con open that early or is she being let in early because she's judging? I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do if I get down there that early and the con isn't open yet.

I think it would be helpful if someone posted the con hours on the official site.

Mekou
07-12-2004, 09:38 PM
>> I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do if I get down there that early and the con isn't open yet.

The staff will be there at 7am at the latest. ^^; I'm sure we can let people in but don't quote me on that just yet. <_<

Jo_Canadian
07-12-2004, 09:40 PM
hey maybe we will meet you and pan there, we are gonna grab the first bus out in the mornin so we will be there bright and early as well. i shouldnt be to hard to find, look for a kenshin cosplayer

Straywind
07-12-2004, 09:45 PM
>> I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do if I get down there that early and the con isn't open yet.

The staff will be there at 7am at the latest. ^^; I'm sure we can let people in but don't quote me on that just yet. <_<

It would be helpful if I have somewhere to go. From the sound of it, others are planning to come down early as well and I can't speak for everyone, but I have no idea about the area to just hang out for hours. If you'll let me in early, I would be very greatful. Heck, if you still need help setting up or something and the con isn't open yet, I would be more than willing to lend a hand. (^^)

Straywind
07-12-2004, 09:51 PM
hey maybe we will meet you and pan there, we are gonna grab the first bus out in the mornin so we will be there bright and early as well. i shouldnt be to hard to find, look for a kenshin cosplayer

We're aiming for the first bus so it would be great to see you. Are you going down with Grace? I would love to catch up with her and I'm sure Pan would be happy to see you. I mean, you are one of her husbands. (^^) I'll keep my eye open for a Kenshin. Pan is hoping to dress up as Jam (Guilty Gear X-2) and I'm doing yet another version of Cooro (+Anima). (^_^) I'm sure we'll all be easy to spot. This will give us all more incentive to be up in time for the first bus.

Mekou
07-12-2004, 10:07 PM
>> Heck, if you still need help setting up or something and the con isn't open yet, I would be more than willing to lend a hand. (^^)

I'm sure we could do that. ^__^ (The staff would love it as well I think. lol Extra help is always welcome)

Straywind
07-12-2004, 10:13 PM
>> Heck, if you still need help setting up or something and the con isn't open yet, I would be more than willing to lend a hand. (^^)

I'm sure we could do that. ^__^ (The staff would love it as well I think. lol Extra help is always welcome)

Sounds like a plan. (^^)

Jo_Canadian
07-12-2004, 10:15 PM
i regret to say that grace isnt going to be coming with us but i hope that you guys will still want to come with us anyway. besides it gives us more people to get lost with

Straywind
07-12-2004, 10:31 PM
i regret to say that grace isnt going to be coming with us but i hope that you guys will still want to come with us anyway. besides it gives us more people to get lost with

It's ok if Grace isn't coming. It just would have been nice to talk to her since we both went to the same elementary school and met up again years later through Anime cons. (^^) Pan and I are taking the bus for sure so we'll probably run into you. I'm sure it'll be fun to be lost together. (^^);;

Ochika
07-12-2004, 10:37 PM
oh, and another thing was i was hopping to get a few den mothers and stage ninjas for the masq >.> anyone interested??

dani
07-12-2004, 10:41 PM
Now on to the important things.... I haven't decided if I'll be wearing my sailor Venus, my Aino Minako or my Venus Civvies. (I left Captain Liberty out because I just wore it last week for TT). Does this place have A/C?

Ochika
07-12-2004, 10:43 PM
YUP x.X i was there today....and i was freezing...but then i went outside and practically melted x.X

Lyulf
07-13-2004, 08:30 AM
I might be able to help , but not as ninja, I have injured neck so I'm limited might
be able to den mother(o_O) make that father, I'll look for you at the con, I'll prob
be the only human Inuyasha there ^_^

nyamiko_chan
07-13-2004, 10:18 AM
oh, and another thing was i was hopping to get a few den mothers and stage ninjas for the masq >.> anyone interested??
I could be a Den Mother or a Ninja, if Dani doesn't need me during the time of the masq?
^___^ I don't mind that at all! I'm considering helping out at CNA for that if I can <3

dani
07-13-2004, 10:28 AM
I could be a Den Mother or a Ninja, if Dani doesn't need me during the time of the masq?

Does the masquerade overlap with the dealers room being open? I can take care of the table myself, once I come back from my panel. But i'd need a hand storing the table stuff before the dance, so I can setup shop there with my glow sticks knowing that everything else is properly tucked away.

Let's see how the schedule works out....

Ochika
07-13-2004, 10:43 AM
i do belive everything closes when the masq starts. which is around 8 but if your doing to be in the masq you have to be at the student center around 5:50-6ish. so either pack up your booth early. or get a much trusted friend to watch it >_>

dani
07-13-2004, 10:54 AM
I'll pass on the masquerade. Too many things in one day. The question is if Nyamiko has time to help me pack and store when the booth closes before being needed as a ninja.

Ochika
07-13-2004, 10:57 AM
im sure there will be time. i need her around 6-6:30 though.

Xaber346
07-13-2004, 11:09 AM
where is the place?

Ochika
07-13-2004, 11:15 AM
ats at durham collage in oshawa

Squall1882
07-13-2004, 11:56 AM
If I can make it then I will help out where I can (last minute). Though I won't know whether I can until the day before.. so I'll keep ya posted.

nyamiko_chan
07-14-2004, 12:22 PM
I'll pass on the masquerade. Too many things in one day. The question is if Nyamiko has time to help me pack and store when the booth closes before being needed as a ninja.
Perhaps I could help you organize *for* the packing before hand, and that way when it *is* closing time it'll be easy =3. We can talk it out on msn I guess tho ^_~\\//

So, Ochika, is that I yes for helping with Masq then? O_o .. ADD me to msn >o> I can't believe your not on there XD *hug*

Kia
07-14-2004, 12:26 PM
I won't be able to come, since I can't get off work on Saturday. So everyone have fun and tell me all about it when you get back. ^_^

Ryukka
07-14-2004, 12:55 PM
I don't know if I can still make it. @_@ Can't seem to find anyone to go with and I'm running into money issues.

nyamiko_chan
07-14-2004, 01:41 PM
aww ;-; if I had a car I would come get you Kaits <3 .... sadly I don't x_X drats

Ryukka
07-14-2004, 02:23 PM
Go buy one :D

Lyulf
07-14-2004, 04:33 PM
whitby is only a town away from the con and aren't the buses running to it.
I know I have to drive from Brighton. :schitzo:

Jo_Canadian
07-14-2004, 05:32 PM
again if you wanna get there via transit you can take the go bus from york mills go station , its on the yellow line of the TTC. easy enough to find. if you wanna grab the first bus out you will riding out with us

dani
07-15-2004, 01:12 PM
Today I'm trying to get in touch with the residences, at (905) 728-8700 but I get a strange message "you have been forwarded to a voice mailbox, but the recipient doesnt suscribe to this service". Is there another number to contact them?

Now... why do I need to talk to them? My initial room reservation was for one person, even when I'm paying for a whole room. Now I might have someone to share my room with... Do I need to tell them? Or as long as I pay for the room (which says 2 beds on the site) it doesnt matter?

Any help appreciated...

Dani

dani
07-16-2004, 04:36 PM
Ok... I'm packed and ready to go... Hopefully there will be LOTS of volunteers to unload because my car is CROWDED with goodies. See you laters.............

Dani

Jo_Canadian
07-16-2004, 08:24 PM
hey dani my group will be there nice and early if you want help getting unpacked (were grabbing the 6 50 bus). if you want help find a rather large guy dressed as kenshin with a bright red wig

dani
07-18-2004, 01:29 AM
... or I went and came back.... who knows?

Just got back not even an hr ago, and wanted to be the first one to commend the organizers for a well done job.

Things don't fall in place , or run on time, by accident so the work and the effort paid off.

Now please read the two above lines again, so there is no doubt about my positive impression before getting on the nitpicking:

- It was in a way a "friends" convention. All the usual suspects where there, which made for a very familiar and friendly environment. The bad side? I didn't see much "anonymous civilians". Those curious onlookers that just want to spend the day (and the money) doing something different, and come SO handy for crowding aisles, panels, dealers rooms and registration booths. Maybe it was advertised mostly in mediums that only hard-core cosplayers would find out, or be interested? Don't know... just something to think about.

- I stayed friday night at the campus residences, because I wanted to setup my table (~2hrs) and get in costume (1 1/2) hrs before the 9am opening. I woke up 5:45 and everything went fine. The residence building, the rooms, and the service were more than fine. BUT.... I didnt feel at all comfortable having to go in and out cosplaying (crossplaying!) through the college crowd that filled most of the rooms. Many stares, a few unwelcome comments. Nothing serious but a situation I would want to avoid in the future. I was a teenager once, so I remember how it feels, but I got too used to the Toronto street attitude, where people don't look at you, or don't care even if you want them to. To get to my room after the dance, I felt better asking a friend to walk with me, particularly with face makeup 16 hours old. Thanks, you.

- Food. For next time, if the facilites don't include some kind of nutritional outlet within walking distance, I strongly suggest begging a food vendor to setup a temporary booth. And.. no, I don't count the candy vending machines as nutritional.

And finally... a last minute surprise: I checked out my room half past midnight, and just got charged for ONE NIGHT. Any hotel would have charged me an extra night had I stayed past noon.

That's al lfor now.... need to unload the car and seriously catch up with my sleep.... pics later.

Dani

Jo_Canadian
07-18-2004, 01:35 PM
while walking dani back to his room i did also get a couple of unkind comments. i think that we should put the convention into an area that has a bit more welcome outlook on people who arent afraid to dress up

dani
07-18-2004, 06:13 PM
while walking dani back to his room i did also get a couple of unkind comments.
Considering your shoulder-to-shoulder span I would have assumed otherwise :(

Mekou
07-18-2004, 06:16 PM
I'm sorry you guys had to deal with those people. X_X But you just gotta let it rolls of you ne? Those types are everywhere and no matter what, you'll see them and hear at them some points in your cosplay career. But whatever they say, just think about all the positives attitudes toward you hobby and keep your head high!

I didn't like the particular location because of the lack of nearyby food places either. I joined after the location was chosen and probably written in stone. -__- We couldn't even have opened one of the food places IN the college unless we could guarantee the money for them. (Tim Hortons for example wouldn't open for us unless we could guarantee them $75/hour in profit >_<).

I think it came off as a huge success! I heard some very nice compliments about the event while walking by people. ^_^ It was nice seeing so many cosplayers turn out (and people in general) and was REALLY suprised to see people from my high school there with an artist table. ^_^ Neither of us knew the other likes anime at all. XD

And on a REALLY happy note! It appears that NAF has NO DEBTS!! No negative red numbers for us! =D!!! *happy dance* A HUGE thank you to everyone who came to support us! ^__^

There were a few bad things about the con but I don't blame any of the attendees or staff for it. It was our first year, many of us are inexperienced at running an event like this, things were bound to go wrong and some did, but life goes on and we learn from our mistakes and can only improve for next year. =)

Um...what else should I mention? Oh! Congradulations again to all the masq winners and to all other entires as well! =) For the record, we had 7 entires! WOO! Thank you all for signing up and making the masq possible. ^_^I believe tapes of the masq will be available soon. I'll keep you all posted on that.

Again, thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who supported us! The dealers, artists, volunteers, attendees and staff of course. ^_^

And now...I think sleep is good. =D

Nagii
07-18-2004, 07:18 PM
I did have a great time there! You guys did a good job getting it all up and stuff. Yeah..I've never been to Oshawa before this convention and not knowing my way around plus the lack of food places was kinda..tacky. But hey! Lessons were learned that could make the convention bigger and better ne? I didn't suffer too much with people staring at me werid. I was kinda sad I didn't get my Yue Ying cosplay finished in time so I had to go as Naru again, like I was at AN. ^_^;

For your first time, I give you guys alot of credit and good luck to making another!
^___________^

Jo_Canadian
07-18-2004, 08:57 PM
lol thanks for the comment danny:
Danni. Considering your shoulder-to-shoulder span I would have assumed otherwise.
lol thats funny. but yea i definatley think someone should bring a reasonably priced hot dog cart or maybe even some one bring a barbeque and we can have an anime barbeque and every one just bring what they would like and we could cook it.. (the half hour walk to burger king is murder in a samurai costume)

Straywind
07-18-2004, 09:15 PM
It wasn't the best con I've ever attended, but I still had a good time and it was nice meeting new people and hanging out with old friends. *pokes Jo_Canadian* I posted aren't you proud? (^^);;

Since I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow, I've posted all my con pictures and reports and I'm getting yelled @ by my parents for "wasting" so much time today when I should have been packing. (~~);;

http://cosplay.out-break.net/naf.shtml <-- con report

http://cosplay.out-break.net/nafp1.shtml <-- con pictures

I'm looking forward to seeing many of you @ CNAnime! (^_^)

Jo_Canadian
07-18-2004, 09:49 PM
lol thanks kagome. thats now 17 posts

Nancyboynoire
07-19-2004, 09:56 AM
It was really alot of fun. There could have been a little more people, and the dealers room could have been a little more err, extensive. but by the end of the day I left feeling bubbly and well, content (despite being very sick in the boys bathroom -.-;; ). I think what made it nice is because well, we've all seen each other somewhere before... wether it was online or at previous cons we were all aquaintances, and didn't feel too weirded out when we talked to one another.

NAF is my cozy con n_n;;

Jo_Canadian
07-19-2004, 04:00 PM
a fun/small con, only problem. NOO ACCESSABLE FOODSTUFFS. the closest thing was a mini mart 15 minutes down the road

Lyulf
07-19-2004, 05:31 PM
Yeah the con was fun, yes thereas little food to be had, luckily I paid for the dinner, which to me was worth it , and was what I needed at the right time .Endless Water
was drank there and the food was good. Getting to really chat and have fun with Brie and Alex was totally awesome, which we couldn't do to the same level at AN. The con did have its glitches but for the first con I say it was good. >_< The dance had the biggest glitch but that was still fun , Alex was just beebopping around with us, and we really got stares from the student/sports people. They were totally confused^_^
And you had to love Ochika's dance she did a great job as did all the staff, Next year will be better if there plans go through, Either way I'll be back^_^

ikegami
07-19-2004, 11:26 PM
piccies piccies piccies
http://www.pictures.adaelis.com/naf2004_ikegami/

ikegami
07-19-2004, 11:30 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing many of you @ CNAnime! (^_^)

Ditto! Have a nice trip, Becky

nyamiko_chan
07-20-2004, 05:35 PM
XD so this is why you kept stealng my gloomy Eric
< http://www.pictures.adaelis.com/naf2004_ikegami/pictures/naf2004_ikegami_051.jpg >

^__^ heheheh~!!

Jo_Canadian
07-20-2004, 06:13 PM
those are good pics ikegami.

Kia
07-20-2004, 07:42 PM
XD so this is why you kept stealng my gloomy Eric
< http://www.pictures.adaelis.com/naf2004_ikegami/pictures/naf2004_ikegami_051.jpg >

^__^ heheheh~!!
Bahahahahahaha!!! That's awsome! :D

Nagii
07-20-2004, 08:55 PM
Oooooh picy's! I'm still waiting for mine to be developed...stupid 5 day thingie -shakes fist at people @ Zehrs- -goes to look at ikegami's-

Lyulf
07-21-2004, 07:13 AM
The pics look great, and yes I see I definitely need work on my wigs V_V

Schubuttercup
07-21-2004, 11:51 AM
;-; I wanted to go..but I had a wedding to attend to on the same day. Oh well, I hope it'll be on next year, cause I'll go for sure!

heki-chan
07-21-2004, 05:26 PM
I dont have that many pics...only the hothot ones from the masquerade ^_^;;

I'll stick them online sometime this week and post a link^__^

I thought NAF was very well run for its first year, the location (although far from the core-GTA ^^; ) was a good choice and the layout of the con was EXTREMELY well done *thumbsup*

i really enjoyed the space we were in. very nice.

the panels were fun n informative, and the dealer's room was impressive being the first year. I got funky beads from Dani heeh XD

the masquerade area was also nice (CHILLY THO EHEH)

just generally a nice first year run! congrats to all the staff who worked hard :)

~heki

ikegami
07-23-2004, 01:13 PM
Yeah, just Saturday July 17th. If I'm not in New Brunswick I'll try to go then.

oh ho! Do we have another New Brunswicker here? or are you just visiting?

SimiHe
07-23-2004, 01:57 PM
I think NAF was quite good, to bad it wasnt longer