PDA

View Full Version : Anime Costume Idea Help!

BlackdragonDM
11-24-2002, 05:52 PM
Hi hi!!!

Ok, I'm looking for a costume for the next con in Georgia... A.K.A. AWA 9 in September. I'd like to buy one online since I have no sewing skills ... except pillows.

Does anyone have any ideas that wouldn't be too expensive, easily reconizable, and flattering to a slightly overweight 15 yr old girl?

^^' I'm working on the weight problem... and I really dislike most anime girls... >_<

I'd appreciate any help at all.

~Heather Warriner

Himemiya
11-29-2002, 12:25 AM
I doubt you could find many inexpensive cosplay shops online, but check ebay ?

I know your problem. Try looking for a character you can cosplay that wears mostly street-clothes, that you can get from goodwill or walmart ^_^ And crossplay is always an option!

Jinx
11-29-2002, 02:54 AM
What do you mean by not too expensive? I think the cheapest cosplay commission I've seen is around $100.

Like Himemiya said, try normal-clothed character, or at least some easy to make. Like akane from Ranma 1/2 or something. You'll save a _lot_ more money that way.

scandia
11-29-2002, 10:24 AM
I suggest something that can be easily made from dresses you can buy at secondhand stores or through ebay. The only thing I have sewn completely on my own is an apron- everything else I have bought and modified through gluing, stitching, cutting, or dyeing.

To flatter your figure, I suggest something in a dark color that goes well with your complexion. Make sure you work with your specific figure type- hourglass, pear, apple, ruler- and not just with your numeric weight.

Finally, pick a character you like. There's characters out there who wear lovely outfits but whom I cannot stand and thus will not be caught dead cosplaying.

Maryssa
11-29-2002, 10:40 AM
The first step is to PICK A CHARACTER YOU LIKE.

Narrow down from there.

Please do not just ask for people to tell you what costumes they think are cool. Aren't you cosplaying because you want to show your fandom for a character rather than to just walk around at a con looking cool?

BlackdragonDM
11-29-2002, 12:33 PM
Well, I'm indecisive. I like A LOT of characters so how am I expected to choose. I act like a lot of them too so what do YOU (Maryssa), expect from me. I simply asked for ideas, though I don't care what other think is cool.

scandia
11-29-2002, 02:20 PM
Are there any of them that you are truly obsessed with or have a special love for them for a reason?

Just make a list of your favorite characters. Then make a list of your favorite anime. Then try to make matches and see which one has the most overlap. Pick your favorite of those- you don't have to look like her. Then gather as many pics of the character as you can find. Pick which version of her outfits you will do (if necessary). Make a rough sketch on paper, as well as a list of things you will need. And head out to the stores.

BlackdragonDM
11-30-2002, 02:21 PM
Scandia, thanks! I've done something similar and came up with nothing.... ^^' unless you want to count Shuichi from Gravitation. And that's just his orange sweatshirt outfit... I was leaning towards that or Sailor Venus' school uniform. But I can't find anything similar to what I need. I can't even find a orange a sweatshirt. I'm looking, but I live in a very small area! But I am looking! Thanks for the advice!!

~Heather

scandia
11-30-2002, 05:55 PM
For a Venus school uniform you could use a short-sleeved blouse like the ones they wear in Catholic schools and add the Sailor Collar- may not even need to stitch. You can find any blue A-line skirt that length, pleats are not super necessary. Add the scarf for the neck under the collar. Put on a red hairbow. Ta-da!

BlackdragonDM
11-30-2002, 06:54 PM
*blinks* I can do that... WOW!!!! Thanks!! I didn't think about that!! Now to find a blouse... *walks off muttering*

Thanks so much!
~Heather