PDA

View Full Version : So when are you getting in?

Dany
05-25-2004, 01:36 PM
I'm antsy, I suppose. BayCon isn't even started and I'm oogling SDCC like a big shiny diamond....

The PLAN, right now, is that I will be leaving my little abode in San Francisco as soon as I can in the AM on Thursday. Will be following down some friends in another car until a little ways away from San Diego, when they will be stopping at the house of a friend.

From there, I think I'll be playing a bit of "soccer mom"..I am hoping to pick up my con-roomie from the airport, but that, of course, will depend on when she arrives.

In other words, I'll probably start REALLY terrorizing things come Thursday evening. I have NO idea what I'm wearing when other than the Masquerade at this point..though tentative plans seem to be leaning towards version 1.0 of my Linsner's Dawn stuff and my Lara Goth costume for the first part of the weekend, and Lucius Malfoy on Sunday.

So...yah. See ya there! And in the meantime, I'll put this anxious energy into my sewing machine. :wave:

Yuna
05-25-2004, 05:17 PM
I'll be there Tuesday morning like I have been for the passed three years...

Eurobeat King
05-26-2004, 03:30 AM
I can't get Wednesday (7/21/04) off for Preview-Night, so after work I'll be leaving for SDCC around 10pm and getting there around 6am Thursday morning, just in time to get a little sleep waiting in line for registration. Actually, this year is my first time doing PRE-REG, so I wonder if that line is shorter than at-con reg. which I did the past 2 years I've been to SDCC. :) Last year it was great seeing the trio of Sana-chan, Freya, and Something-Lulu to start off the morning with familiar cosplayer-faces! :dance:

Sana-chan
05-26-2004, 07:42 AM
We'll be there preview night ^_^.

Dany
05-26-2004, 11:04 AM
I wanted to do preview night, but it would cut too deeply into my work time, plus I really didn't think on the idea of going to San Diego until around April, so I didn't budget for it as well as I would have if I was thinking of it say, last year.

I can likely do it next year, perhaps...

...and I'm so happy! I'm test-running one of my hall costumes for San Diego at BayCon this weekend. It's one that I haven't done in several years, and one that was eluding me bigtime until last night, after a brief pick through my closet.

Now, to think of how I'm going to get holsters done for my Lara Croft guns with all the OTHER stuff I need to do.

Yuna
05-27-2004, 03:37 PM
I wouldn't hype preview night... lots of exhibitors aren't finished setting up their booths, some exhibitors haven't even arrived, ect. It can look like a huge mess in the Exhibitor's hall on preview night. I would kick yourself too hard for missing it.

kelldar
05-27-2004, 03:46 PM
I'm flying in tuesday morning :D This is my only west coast con this year, and my first time at SDCC, so I'm really excited XD

Reno_kun
05-27-2004, 04:42 PM
I shall be there opening day as always this is what my 7th year at comic-con? wow...I'm old..

Suzushichan
05-27-2004, 06:51 PM
Preview night on through...yup. hell, I live here. ^^'

ZiggyB
05-27-2004, 07:12 PM
Kell: That's great! You'll have a blast at SDCC. :) I'm actually going to SDCC over AX (I could do both I suppose, but eh). Anyway, yah. :)

Back on topic, I'll probably be driving in on Thursday night arriving pretty late in the evening (1-2am). Of course, we have a small caravan of stuff. 8-o

Aya Mizu
05-28-2004, 01:16 AM
Friday night at the latest, though I'm going to try to get there in the morning.

Jinyo
06-10-2004, 12:31 AM
This year is the first time I'll be doing Preview Night. Do you guys go in costume? How full is the place?

chubbybunny
06-10-2004, 02:56 PM
I'll be there all happy, shiney, and semi-retarded on preview night, probable throwing parts of my comapny's booth around at onlookers :drunk:

Please come by and visit the glory that is Tokyopop's huge metal construct ;) It shold be a blast once it's all set up.

This is my first time at SDCC.. ;)

Dany
06-15-2004, 06:23 PM
I wouldn't hype preview night... lots of exhibitors aren't finished setting up their booths, some exhibitors haven't even arrived, ect. It can look like a huge mess in the Exhibitor's hall on preview night. I would kick yourself too hard for missing it.

You tell me after I leave my own custom boot print on my behind. *chuckle*

I noticed Friday at WonderCon seemed like that...several empty tables, partial stuff up, etc. But James O'Barr's table was quiet as a mouse, and my friend and I spent a nice bit of time chatting with him.

I've come to the conclusion that this will be the largest convention I've attended, or will attend, this year. SiliCon and RingCon are going to be far smaller, and I'll likely be doing costuming panels. So...yeah. I have this feeling I'll be doing what I did with Disneyland...running around like crazy and hoping for the best.

Sana-chan
06-15-2004, 09:20 PM
This year is the first time I'll be doing Preview Night. Do you guys go in costume? How full is the place?

Not for preview night, no. Some people cosplay, but... not really. I'd wait till Thursday when the actual con is open ^_^. Preview Night isn't very big and it's cool cuz you can see what the booths have and such and sometimes they'll let you buy things then or put them on hold for you for Thursday. Tis cool ^_^.

Jinyo
06-15-2004, 10:21 PM
Okay, thanks for saving me the embarrassment of showing up in costume, then! I'll be there, in "normal" clothes.

Mich
06-16-2004, 04:36 AM
Okay, thanks for saving me the embarrassment of showing up in costume, then! I'll be there, in "normal" clothes.

Ahhh good point Jinyo....;)( being a 'newbie' myself)

Jinyo
06-16-2004, 05:03 AM
Well, I'm a bit disappointed that I won't be seeing you on preview Night in your Arwen, but I hope I'll get to see it at some point during Comic-Con. It really looks lovely in your photos! And that headpiece! *o*

Mich
06-16-2004, 12:12 PM
Well, I'm a bit disappointed that I won't be seeing you on preview Night in your Arwen, but I hope I'll get to see it at some point during Comic-Con. It really looks lovely in your photos! And that headpiece! *o*
EEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,I'm wearing it for the Masquerade,so if you're entering,or watching you'll see it then....( Ooooo I'm SO excited)
Oh BTW,I'm also hoping to meet up with some fellow RQ members at the Con too,why not pop over and join us to see where we hang out:
http://www.raiderquest.com/phpBB2/index.php
we're a right friendly lot...you'll have fun!

Jinyo
06-16-2004, 01:26 PM
I love costumes, so the Masq is one of my favorite parts of Comic-Con. I've never entered, but I hope I can get of good view of you.

BTW, Comic-Con is one HUGE convention, which translates to LOTS of people in attendance. You can expect traffic to be bad and parking to be worse. Last year I smartened up and took the trolley. I parked at the Old Town station, which is not too far from Sea World, and parking is free there. 30-45 minutes spent waiting for and riding the trolley is FAR preferable to 30-45 minutes spent looking for overpriced parking, then the inevitable long walk. That's my opinion, anyway.

http://www.sdcommute.com/Rider_Information/trolley/index.asp

Dany
06-16-2004, 01:55 PM
Oh BTW,I'm also hoping to meet up with some fellow RQ members at the Con too,why not pop over and join us to see where we hang out:
http://www.raiderquest.com/phpBB2/index.php
we're a right friendly lot...you'll have fun!

Hee.

You know, I've been thrown into a limbo as to what I'm going to be wearing again for that Friday photoshoot...right? I gotta see what is going on. One of my Con roomies wanted me to play pirate...

Gah! Penny was supposed to stay HOME this trip!

Dany
06-16-2004, 01:56 PM
BTW, Comic-Con is one HUGE convention, which translates to LOTS of people in attendance. You can expect traffic to be bad and parking to be worse. Last year I smartened up and took the trolley.

Gee, I'll almost feel like I'm home.

*points to the cable car that runs at the end of my street!*

Almost. I can't bottle up and carry a sample of San Francisco's "natural air conditioning..."

Mich
06-16-2004, 03:18 PM
Yep,Friday it is for a group pic( I'm looking forward to meeting you too).we are flying to San Francisco on The sunday and driving to San Diego for the pre-reg.Wednesday.
to jinyo...We are staying at the Holiday Inn near Sea World,and hubby is hiring a jeep,so if you want to get a lift to the Con with us,I'm sure that would be cool too...( as he isn't into Cons really and may just drop me off)

Dany
06-16-2004, 03:53 PM
Yep,Friday it is for a group pic( I'm looking forward to meeting you too).we are flying to San Francisco on The sunday and driving to San Diego for the pre-reg.Wednesday.
to jinyo...We are staying at the Holiday Inn near Sea World,and hubby is hiring a jeep,so if you want to get a lift to the Con with us,I'm sure that would be cool too...( as he isn't into Cons really and may just drop me off)

Oooh! I should talk you guys into visiting me when you're in SF, depending on how long you're around.

*shiftyeyes!*

KelBebop
06-18-2004, 04:11 PM
Hee.

You know, I've been thrown into a limbo as to what I'm going to be wearing again for that Friday photoshoot...right? I gotta see what is going on. One of my Con roomies wanted me to play pirate...

Gah! Penny was supposed to stay HOME this trip!

DOOOOOO IIIIIIIIT, Dany! Norrington would be so disappointed if Penny didn't show. :)

Back on topic, I'll be flying in Thursday morning, so I expect I'll be at the con sometime mid-day Thursday. Doubt I'll be in costume that day, though.

Dany
06-18-2004, 04:33 PM
DOOOOOO IIIIIIIIT, Dany! Norrington would be so disappointed if Penny didn't show. :)

*LOL* He never got over the wig incident, did he?

Which reminds me... I need to re-find that picture and iconize it....

Back on topic, I'll be flying in Thursday morning, so I expect I'll be at the con sometime mid-day Thursday. Doubt I'll be in costume that day, though.

We'll be thinking of you on the road...we being me and a couple of others we both know that I will be following........ ;D

Jinyo
06-18-2004, 06:54 PM
if you want to get a lift to the Con with us,I'm sure that would be cool too

Thanks for the offer!
I'll likely be Trolleying in with a couple of uncostumed friends (poor muggles, I weep for their empty lives T_T ), so I won't be needing a ride. Hope to see you there!

Mich
06-20-2004, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the offer!
I'll likely be Trolleying in with a couple of uncostumed friends (poor muggles, I weep for their empty lives T_T ), so I won't be needing a ride. Hope to see you there!

Heheheheh,yep fingers crossed...

Fireshark
06-23-2004, 06:10 AM
For this con, are less people dressed up on the normal days due to the Masquerade?

I ask, since those in the Masquerade aren't supposed to wear their costumes beforehand. I'd imagine that'd kind of kill the general cosplayers, if they're doing the Masquerade, wouldn't it?

Is it better to just cosplay around the place, or to wait for the Masq? I'd rather just cosplay and forgo the Masq... but what do you guys recommend? I've never been to this con...

Sana-chan
06-23-2004, 08:11 AM
People just wear other costumes that they aren't wearing to the masquerade ^_^.

ACXchan
06-23-2004, 12:24 PM
I'm going for only two days, Fri and Sat, with a friend who's in SD. She provides free housing, I provide free transport! I'm going to look into this free-parking-take-the-trolley thing too. Going to be doing general cosplay of Shen from The Authority.

Dany
06-24-2004, 07:51 PM
For this con, are less people dressed up on the normal days due to the Masquerade?

I ask, since those in the Masquerade aren't supposed to wear their costumes beforehand. I'd imagine that'd kind of kill the general cosplayers, if they're doing the Masquerade, wouldn't it?

Is it better to just cosplay around the place, or to wait for the Masq? I'd rather just cosplay and forgo the Masq... but what do you guys recommend? I've never been to this con...

You know, the whole rule of 'not wearing your Masquerade costume before Saturday night' is the reason why some of us have such big-ol' closets!!! *LOL*

Like Sana-chan said...basically what ends up happening is that people just bring a bunch of costumes and wear them throughout the weekend. I know I'm coming down with four or five myself, including my Masquerade entry.

Fireshark
06-25-2004, 09:17 PM
You know, the whole rule of 'not wearing your Masquerade costume before Saturday night' is the reason why some of us have such big-ol' closets!!! *LOL*

Like Sana-chan said...basically what ends up happening is that people just bring a bunch of costumes and wear them throughout the weekend. I know I'm coming down with four or five myself, including my Masquerade entry.

Well, that certainly would make sense! Have a whole collection to show off! ;) I myself am still rather limited, due to my 'new' quality to this. Thanks! Hope to see you there!