PDA

View Full Version : can anybody give me a crash course in doujinshi?

Ayaka
11-24-2002, 07:42 PM
I know we've got some yaoi maniacs on here, so I'm hoping you're in the mood to try to make a convert, lol. It's almost my 21st b-day, and I can't go have a drink (don't want to anyway), so I was thinking, what could I do? So I decided maybe it's time for me to get my first shounen-ai/yaoi. I decided to go with doujinshi, not anime . . . frankly because I've seen some stuff when I was looking for Saiyuki merch that just sent me into hysterics. XD (I REALLY should have bought the one that said it was about Gojyo locking Sanzo in a basement. oO;;; lol!)

But, even just looking on eBay, I'm confused. Some of the comics say shounen-ai, some say yaoi, and some say "hard" yaoi. Exactly how hard is hard yaoi? oO (no sick jokes intended, ACK) And I've seen other terms - like "non-con". Non-con = "non-consenting"?

Well, any info about where to buy the stuff, maybe if you know of circles that are better than others, pretty much anything would be helpful cause I'm really in the dark. I don't know, I may be like Hideki and the underwear store (for those who've seen Chobits) - kinda hard to bring myself to it! ^^;;;;

soshi
11-24-2002, 07:59 PM
from my experience, the difference between yaoi and hard yaoi is that in yaoi, it's normally pretty.. er.. normal sex, and all the manly parts are replaced with glowing columns of light that tend to sparkle. a lot. hard yaoi is usually a bit more graphic (somtimes with kinky stuff like bondage, ect) and the akward bits of light are actual peices of anatomy! non-con is rape, and sometimes those aren't marked. I bought a bunch of Treize/Wufei djs at a con last year, which were all just marked "yaoi" and ended up with about three non-cons. -________-;;;; ick.

I don't have any online stores bookmarked, but this one http://www.sukebepanda.com/yaoi_doujinshi.htm came up on google real quick.

also, I still have one of the Treize/Wufei non-cons if anyone wants to buy it.. as well as a neatly drawn but weird Kowaru/Shinji one.

Spooky Brew
11-24-2002, 08:02 PM
Um...I'm not into the whole yaoi scene, but I know some of the terms and stuff.
Yaoi~just regular, such as heavy kissing and maybe light sex
Hard Yaoi~gets into more heavy stuff, like hard sex
Shounen-ai~This I believe is lighter than Yaoi, more thought provoking about the couple.
I'm not sure what Non-con is though, If your scared about some of the labels, try seeing if the seller will send you pictures of the Doujinshi, or just don't go for the yaoi, try the Shounen ai, or could always just get a regular "kissy" type doujinshi and have the people trade places....^^;;;;
That's my two cents though....

DJ(SiC)ness
11-24-2002, 08:20 PM
yaoi scares me to death

*curls up in corner

Umi
11-24-2002, 08:36 PM
a lot of people use yaoi for anything that involves romance, love, er... the like between two guy characters.

Personally I've always thought that shounen-ai was stuff that did not involve sex but had innuendo and romance and that type of good stuff but never explicitly shows sex... like Gravitation! And yaoi was like the equivalent of hentai as far as sexual content. I would imagine that hard yaoi is stuff that is just really graphic and doesn't bother to build much of a story around the content.

However you should probably research well especially if your buying doujinshi from online.. like ebay because some people think of yaoi as romance and hard yaoi as anything that involves sexually material.

Ayaka
11-24-2002, 08:36 PM
I have yet to meet any guys who like yaoi, Dj. lol.

Yeah, I'm not going straight for the yaoi; I'm mostly just curious about it. Virtually none of the anime fans I know are female, so nodoby to borrow stuff from. The one I did flip through that a girl I was hanging with at AXNY had was probably just normal yaoi; it was racy, but not . . . graphic. I found it highly amusing. And some of the manga I've read has been fairly graphic; guess I'm looking for the female-oriented version. Some of them seem to be intentionally funny, is the impression I've gotten . . .

Soshi - Sparkling columns of light, eh? lol. Non-con sounds like something I definitely want to avoid. >_<

Umi - I'm familiar with the terms in the rough sense . . . it sounds like the best thing to do is either ask the seller for more details, or buy the stuff offline at a con where I can - one would hope - flip through it and see if anything makes me go "oh my . . .!" and cover my eyes, lol.

Nemui Yume
11-24-2002, 08:53 PM
well there are diffrent levels of Yayoi ^.^ (some have more sex scenes than the other or often you get the sweet cuddle kind of Yayoi) but some Yayoi they censor the male parts so it's not too graphic, but i think the people covered it for ya~

yes Yayoi is a pairing of two guys/couple- for those of you that don't know. ^.^

it's always good to know which doujinshi artist you like or what kind of style it is- I've seen a couple of Naruto/Shaman King yayoi

so try to see which ones look good to buy, cuz some yayoi doushinji have lil' story and lil' pics and a lot of text near the end of the doujinshi hehe ^.^ some may have multiple stories but try to see which one your into and hopefully you'll find what you need. You can always buy the big antology kind of doujinshi, it may cost more but you get more out of it ^_^

hope that helps :D

~Stella~

SleepingKirby
11-24-2002, 11:14 PM
Ayaka: I think Animenation has a section on that. Not too sure though, but I could have sworn I saw the link the last time I was there.

Ayaka
11-25-2002, 12:53 AM
Shaman King yaoi? Well, I can see a LOT of places they could go with that . . . lol YohxTao Ren I wouldn't be into (too obvious!), but YohxManta or something could be amusing.

Kirby - Anime Nation? Really? I'll check that out . . .

Ali-kun
11-25-2002, 02:48 AM
Hee, I would add something but these guys seem to have it pretty much covered ^^;;

If you're worried about what you might be getting, you can always try asking the seller just HOW graphic the story gets. People often have different definitions of all the words everyone's mentioned, so if you go with one person's definition you may find yourself with something dramatically more graphic (or tamer) than you expected...which can sometimes be a bad thing!

Good luck on your search!

Rosiel
11-25-2002, 10:54 AM
As a side note, since everything was well-explained already, unless you enjoy very graphic scenes and buckets of fluids flying (of all kinds, we're talking streams of drool for the simplest kisses here. X__X)... avoid the hard kind.

The best art tends to be found in shounen-ai doujinshis anyway.

I can't help more than that as I don't know much about Saiyuki djs and tend to collect het pairings anyway.

avagoyle
11-25-2002, 12:42 PM
I know TONS of guys that like yaoi! But then I went to yaoi con...

Many people have different ideas about what is considered "graphic" and i have seen doujinshis that were labeled up much higher than they should of been. I wouldn't buy anything off of ebay, unless you are desperate. Aestheticism.com is a place that sells all sorts of yaoi.

Oh, and on a side note. Yaoi is what american fans call it. :P

Ayaka
11-25-2002, 03:18 PM
Aestheticism.com, that was it. I knew that I'd heard about some site . . .

Hmm, I guess I'll wait for a con, maybe the dealer can tell me something about their goods and which ones I might like. Unless I see that one on eBay again about Sanzo locked in the basement and Gojyo molesting him. *grin* I'm sorry, that's just too weird a concept to be resisted.

*edit* That site has Initial D shounen-ai. *dies laughing* That's just WRONG! XD

Rosiel
11-25-2002, 03:21 PM
> Aestheticism.com, that was it. I knew that I'd heard about some site . . .

They are way too expensive and a pain to order from. If you don't mind paying shipping from Japan, I know places where you can get much better deals and don't need to fax in your driver's license or other annoying information. Now if only I remembered them off the top of my head... X__X

Ayaka
11-25-2002, 03:28 PM
But they have an LotR/Shaolin Soccer crossover doujin! *just about passed out laughing*

I haven't got a driver's liscence. (I have a state ID . . .) Well, if you remember any of those Japanese sites, I'd appreciate it if you passed them on. ^^