PDA

View Full Version : Female Gamers Unite!!

marsie
05-26-2004, 08:20 PM
Are you a girl and want to talk about your role in the gaming community?

Are you a guy and want to prove to yourself and others that hot girls DO play video games?

Do you want to talk about the ever changing role of females in video games?

Then this is the panel for you! Come in talk, laugh and meet new people!

The whole point of this panel is to show you that this is no Myth! Female Gamers are sexy, fun and are NOT fairy tales!

Also who else can remember that Ms PacMan was more popular than PacMan.

From Toadstool to Summoner we have some great female characters out there! Usally they are hid behind the "healer" role with a whimpy bow and arrow or stuck in a tower waiting for Mario to find the right castle.

You say, what about Samus?!? Back in the early days of gaming that was more the exception rather than the rule. For every one Samus you can name I can name 20 "Princess" roles. It wasn't until newer games do we see a more kick butt attitude for the females in the game itself.

I do believe that it was/is because more females are gaming. We like to role play and put ourselves in the role just as much as you guys do!

Any topics that you all think need to be address put them up now! I am setting up my outline!

Also I need the 20 top female game characters of all time! I am going to have a countdown!

Lil
05-28-2004, 03:55 PM
Hmmm.... topics to adress......

Why female armour is always the equilvalent of a bikini.

Why video game market seems to think there is no female audience.

The growing number of roles of main female characters: Female recognition or fanservice?

Hmmm.... I dunno -_-0 Just random thoughts.

Shinigami_Mimi
05-28-2004, 08:05 PM
You do have a point. I wish the gaming industry would change a bit. -_-;;;

marsie
05-28-2004, 08:55 PM
That is why we gals need to get more vocal!!! We need forums like this to speak our minds. Heck I will bring addy's so we can campaign to the "local" companies like RockStar.

Is it just me or does Rock Star present women as sex objects?

~Steel RK9~
05-29-2004, 07:13 AM
Is it just me or does Rock Star present women as sex objects?

Yes, I think their games do portray women in a less than desirable way...not to mention any of their games *cough*GTA:ViceCity*cough*

gamergirlx
06-03-2004, 01:39 PM
The fact that several (totally female-based) game production companies went backrupt in the late 90's didn't help. I don't know what the issue is... 50% of all gamers are female. But the attitudes haven't changed one bit. But honestly, sexual appeal does count into marketing strategy doesn't it? You know...I've never heard a female complain about buying a game that the lead char is male, but I can't believe how much whining a guy does if an "interesting/good" game has a female lead. Let's just face it...guys are babies and so those gaming companies are trying to cater to them.

dressdragn
06-03-2004, 02:30 PM
wow, supper exciting. This is on sunday right? if it's after I'm done in the Artist alley I'll defintly try and come.

Are you a girl and want to talk about your role in the gaming community?

Are you a guy and want to prove to yourself and others that hot girls DO play video games?

Do you want to talk about the ever changing role of females in video games?

Then this is the panel for you! Come in talk, laugh and meet new people!

The whole point of this panel is to show you that this is no Myth! Female Gamers are sexy, fun and are NOT fairy tales!

Also who else can remember that Ms PacMan was more popular than PacMan.

From Toadstool to Summoner we have some great female characters out there! Usally they are hid behind the "healer" role with a whimpy bow and arrow or stuck in a tower waiting for Mario to find the right castle.

You say, what about Samus?!? Back in the early days of gaming that was more the exception rather than the rule. For every one Samus you can name I can name 20 "Princess" roles. It wasn't until newer games do we see a more kick butt attitude for the females in the game itself.

I do believe that it was/is because more females are gaming. We like to role play and put ourselves in the role just as much as you guys do!

Any topics that you all think need to be address put them up now! I am setting up my outline!

Also I need the 20 top female game characters of all time! I am going to have a countdown!

dressdragn
06-03-2004, 02:42 PM
hmm.. reading over everyones coments I'm suprised at how upset everyone is by the depiction of females in video games. I don't mind when female charters are a little fanservie-e, and in some cases I feel it adds to there charm. I find the hyper sexualised girls of DoA beach voly ball more amussing then degrading. I find that charters like Mai from KoF who aggresivly flaunt there sexuality to be all the more spunky and energetic for it.

The only thing that bothers me is weakness, and we've come along way from the days when a women were restricted to being the princess, the damse in distress, the kidnaped girl friend.

Also it works both ways, sure I would be uncoftrable if my mom saw one of my friends playing v-games with the naked patch on, but when Raiden was naked in Metal Gear I had him turn a few cartweels so I could take a peak.

~Anna

marsie
06-03-2004, 08:51 PM
The fact that several (totally female-based) game production companies went backrupt in the late 90's didn't help. I don't know what the issue is... 50% of all gamers are female. But the attitudes haven't changed one bit. But honestly, sexual appeal does count into marketing strategy doesn't it? You know...I've never heard a female complain about buying a game that the lead char is male, but I can't believe how much whining a guy does if an "interesting/good" game has a female lead. Let's just face it...guys are babies and so those gaming companies are trying to cater to them.

I can't WAIT to talk to you at the panel!

Anna- I hope you AND carrie can make it, since you both have your table.

TheAnarCHris
06-03-2004, 11:48 PM
Shameless plug time!

Anyone who attends this panel as well as my FF fandom one on Friday @ 12 will get the extra 2% they need to get the "great" ending for (insert popular video game rpg title hear)

This is what we call marketing folks. Fear it!

umatsukai
06-04-2004, 12:45 AM
i have a few q./ for all you other gamin girls? i am what i would call a *newbie* to all of this wonderfull stuf {{{anime}}} i never noticed before 2 years ago...*sigh* are there any good games to buy that have a good plot and are worth while to play? i prefer 2 to 5 disc games that are rpg's but anything with a long story or plot will suit me well...all recomendations will be considered greatly ...because i have just finished Lunar sssc and Lunar eternal blue and both were amazing

marsie
06-04-2004, 03:52 AM
*shameless plug*

If you come to this panel and Chris' we will give you titles FOR FREE! No, kidding.

PM me on some of the stuff you've played already and I will see what I can suggest.

Anna- I agree. I mean. I love FFX-2 and look at all the fire it has gotten. Simply because the character design changed. -.- This is something that I wanted to discuss. I honestly don't care what the person wears. I do like to play dress up when you can get extra costumes though. XD (the kid in me)

But I think the more pressing issue is I want to point out how far we have come from the times of "princess" roles. Yuna, Paine, Rikku, Lulu, Terra, Celes, Lara Croft, just to name a few of the chracters who are more than just "pretty faces" or fan service if you get to their personality and role in the game.

Thanks for pointing that out Anna! This is basically what I wanted everyone to get out of my panel. ^_^

dressdragn
06-04-2004, 12:08 PM
I'm certinly going to try and be there, even if it wasn't allready a great panel it'd be a great way to meet other female games!

~Anna

Anna- I agree. I mean. I love FFX-2 and look at all the fire it has gotten. Simply because the character design changed. -.- This is something that I wanted to discuss. I honestly don't care what the person wears. I do like to play dress up when you can get extra costumes though. XD (the kid in me)

But I think the more pressing issue is I want to point out how far we have come from the times of "princess" roles. Yuna, Paine, Rikku, Lulu, Terra, Celes, Lara Croft, just to name a few of the chracters who are more than just "pretty faces" or fan service if you get to their personality and role in the game.

Thanks for pointing that out Anna! This is basically what I wanted everyone to get out of my panel. ^_^

Lil
06-04-2004, 11:15 PM
I'll give every one free titles!

I dub thee..... Cute little killer glomper fangirl!

J/k

Yeah I'm sure I'll definatly attend! My other girlie'lll definatly be there too. We should make it look like it's some sort of secret female meeting.... then try to charge men pocky n Gespone figure things to get in.

TheAnarCHris
06-06-2004, 01:59 AM
For the record I have plenty of titles..

"G-funk regulator"

"Sir Starwind"

"The hell ninja commando"

"Carrie-perverted."

And yeah, I'm actually looking forward to this panel as well....like despite how things have changed for girls always the years, Zelda still manages to get her dumbass kidnapped 90% of the times and needs Link to repeative rescue her....the girl needs to start packing heat or something.....

RoboGundam6
06-08-2004, 10:14 AM
*hands a hairblower to Zelda*

WELL YOU SAID HEAT!!!

I personally play a wide varity of games and consoles since 1996, and I've had my share of bias, but lately thats been changing a bit thanks to puzzle games! Really, oh yea and the Sims, but I really don't play either of those myself.
I'm more of a MechWarrior, wargames/craft Blizzard games, got stared on Duke Nukem and Doom kinda girl.
No one is really suprised to see a woman on battle.net.
And for those who do have a problem with female gamers is living in the stone age as far as I'm concerned, so boo hoo for them, I could careless about there wineing.

marsie
06-08-2004, 08:37 PM
1.Lara Croft
2. Terra (FFVI)
3. Celes (FFVI)
4. Rydia (FFIV)
5. Yuna (FFX and FFX-2)
6. Red Ring Rico (PSO)
7. Chun Li (street fighter)
8. Mio and Mayu (fatal Frame 2)
9. Joanne Dark (Prefect Dark)
10. Valkyire (Valkyre Profile)
11. Kidd (Chrono Cross)
12. Kerrigan (star Craft)
13. Arcia (Chaos Legion)
14. Millenia (Grandia II)
15. Tio (grandia II)
16. Aika (Skies of Arcadia)
17. Akira (Rival Schools)
18. Aya (parasite eve)
19. Ivy (Soul)
20. Rose (legand of Dragoon)

Top 20 in no order female game characters....what do you all think?

Lil
06-08-2004, 10:35 PM
That's a pretty good list. Chun-li and Lara are up there and they are my favs! But there are soooo many good video games with memorable female roles. You'd really have to go by year to get a good top 20. Just some games I can think of::: Tales of Phantasia, Star Ocean, Lunar, Soul Caliber, Dark Stalkers, Guilty gear.... there's sooo many!

TheAnarCHris
06-09-2004, 01:11 AM
I think your on crack!

Where the hell is Samus? And Jill Valentine? Or Tifa or Aeris, the first FF ladies to have multiple apperances in non-FF games? Or Sonya Blade or Nina from Tekken, some of the few girls from fighting games to get their own games. That list is wiggy whack,lol.

marsie
06-09-2004, 04:32 AM
SCREW! Where is SAMUS. I thought I had that on there!
Okay I do have to re do this....

1.Lara Croft
2. Terra (FFVI)
3. Celes (FFVI)
4. Rydia (FFIV)
5. Yuna (FFX and FFX-2)
6. Red Ring Rico (PSO)
11. Kidd (Chrono Cross)
13. Samus (Metroid)
15. Tio (grandia II)
18. Aya (parasite eve)
19. Ivy (Soul)

Tifa I will consider. Aeris I won't since she is well....not what I consider a model female game character. Which is why Zelda and Princess Toadstool did not make the list. She is you model "Healer with no other abilities" role. The same way Rosa didn't make it.

What is Tifa in? I know that Aeris is in Kingdom Hearts?

Lil
06-09-2004, 01:18 PM
The only FF VII chickie that I really liked was Elena. She had some attitude! I heard they were gonna make her dead in the dvent Children movie. >:( They'd better not!!!! That'd make Marlene and Tifa the only females!!!! LAME.

TheAnarCHris
06-10-2004, 01:28 AM
Lil, u forgot Yuffie.

Tifa, besides seven and the sequel, was in Ergheiz, a crappy 3d fighting game made by Squaresoft and namco.
Aeris-FF7, Kh, Final Fantasy Tactics.
Yuffie-FF7,FF7AC,Kh and ergheiz

I'm still sticking w/ Jill Valentine. 2 REs, the new RE movie, comic books, and few cameos in a fighting game and a new capcom game...and not to mention a gew action figures. And she never screamed like a bimbo in any RE, she just shot zombies like a pro. Go Jill.

And let us not forget Mai, from Fatal Fury/KOF. The first "jiggle" set a standard in every fighting game to date. Boingy indeed

dressdragn
06-10-2004, 12:49 PM
certinly not my top 20. I mean Ms. Pac Man isn't even on the list.
also why so many ff girls and not a single KoF charter?

~Anna

1.Lara Croft
2. Terra (FFVI)
3. Celes (FFVI)
4. Rydia (FFIV)
5. Yuna (FFX and FFX-2)
6. Red Ring Rico (PSO)
11. Kidd (Chrono Cross)
13. Arcia (Chaos Legion)
15. Tio (grandia II)
18. Aya (parasite eve)
19. Ivy (Soul)

Top 20 in no order female game characters....what do you all think?

marsie
06-10-2004, 02:15 PM
This was a list done at women gamers.com

I only had one imput and that was Yuna.

Okay you all have some good points.

Who would you boot off? I need to know asap.

Jill Valentine....okay.
MS Pacman okay
KOF (I have never played the game so please list the one you feel is the best character)

Tifa i am still middle of the road with. So please let me think on her.

Ones I am willing to allow to be knocked off:
2. Terra (FFVI)
6. Red Ring Rico (PSO)
13. Arcia (Chaos Legion)

But the character better be REALLY good

Melikochan
06-10-2004, 09:14 PM
Another character you may want to consider is Beatrix from FF9, the sword-wielding Alexandrian General in FFIX. She's awesome. Another good character is Chris from Suikoden 3.

I love the idea of the panel. D'you have any idea when it's scheduled, though?

HeeroJF
06-10-2004, 09:28 PM
Female recognition vs. fanservice...

That is a good point that was raised. But I answer: why should there be a difference? Look at the male presence in video games. Is someone trying to tell me that male depiction <I>isn't</I> fanservice?? Link, and the Belmonts, and has there ever been a FF male that wasn't hot? Let's face it, video games is a whole pool of fanservice, and that doesn't stop all the heroes, male or female, from being really cool. ^__^

(ps: good lists of favorite females, but I'm sad that Cammy (me!), Marle, Lucca and Sonia Belmont have not been mentionned)

Melikochan
06-10-2004, 09:31 PM
Galuf was not a hot FF guy.

I also second Lucca for a spot on the top 20! She rocks, without a doubt.

HeeroJF
06-10-2004, 09:43 PM
Galuf was not a hot FF guy.

I meant as a generality. You know, the main characters and the most famous supporting guys. You know, Cloud, Tidus, Squall... I, sadly have been missing out on all the PSX FF (VII and up), and therefore I don't even know who Galuf is! ^__^;; I only know who the famous guys are because of cosplayers...

Melikochan
06-10-2004, 09:54 PM
Galuf's one of the heroes of FFV. He's an old guy.

HeeroJF
06-10-2004, 10:08 PM
Galuf's one of the heroes of FFV. He's an old guy.

Ahahh, much respect for old school!! But sadly I haven't caught up with FFV either. Have it on emulator, but have no time to play!

Speaking about girls, anyone remember the girl from Dragon Quest II? She was a fun character.

TheAnarCHris
06-11-2004, 12:28 AM
ROFL! Miss Pac-man! Anna, you earn props for that!

As for the KOFer for the list, I still have to go w/ Mai out off all the girls. Most recognizable, and the only one that I can remember that made it into any of the animated Fatal Fury movies/ovas.

marsie
06-11-2004, 04:22 AM
the panel is on Sunday 1-2

HeeroJF
06-11-2004, 02:48 PM
Aha, I'll be in my Goemon costume on Sunday. Perfect for a gaming panel. Which brings me to another of my favorite gaming girls: Yae, from Ganbare Goemon.

quadrophenia
06-11-2004, 09:37 PM
So many characters to choose from, tough list! I definitely agree on Ms. Pac-man, though, and Jill Valentine.

Ginger Catgirl
06-12-2004, 12:27 PM
yay, I'll definitely be at the panel..... as for the list, someone suggested Beatrix, and I think she's awesome and should definitely be included. She's not in-your-face either, she's just strong and devoted.

HeeroJF
06-12-2004, 12:52 PM
I would also suggest "Birdo" from Mario 2, but that's actually a male crossdresser. *luvhim*

marsie
06-13-2004, 06:13 PM
1. Lara Croft
2. Terra (FFVI)
3. Mai (KOF)
4. Rydia (FFIV)
5. Yuna (FFX and FFX-2)
6. MS Pac Man
11. Kidd (Chrono Cross)
13. Samus (Metroid)
15. Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
18. Aya (parasite eve)
19. Ivy (Soul Calibur)

Flippy
06-14-2004, 06:50 PM
I might do a report on this female video game topic for my final paper so I have some sources....
...heres a funny article I found on the topic or well at least Tomb Raider...
http://muse.jhu.edu.libezproxy.syr.edu/journals/leonardo/v034/34.3schleiner.pdf
or if that doesn't work heres another link...
http://www.opensorcery.net/lara2.html

Haven't read this one yet but it sounds interesting...
http://www.psychology.iastate.edu/faculty/caa/abstracts/2000-2004/03AM.pdf

Somethings about girl gamers
http://www.poe-news.com/stories.php?poeurlid=26331
http://www.sacbee.com/static/archive/news/projects/women/wcgames.html
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/games/learnmore/womeningames.asp

Also looking up some articles on feminism would be a good idea.

Lil
06-14-2004, 07:20 PM
Gahh... I'm not going Sunday -_-0.... I'll send in my girlies to represent me in my place ;). My sis is doing Sakura from Street fighter that day so if she doesn't go... and you see her wandering about... Drag her on in.

marsie
06-14-2004, 08:48 PM
Ah lil I was looking forward to have you at the panel. Please make sure you make it to the SM panel.

Flippy- Thanks for the articles! They are helping me out big time.

Flippy
06-14-2004, 10:15 PM
No prob...I had them bookmarked...I'll see if I can make it to the panel.

Lil
06-15-2004, 03:03 PM
This is off topic... but the SM panel... Is that the one listed on the schedule as Celebrating 10 yrs of Sailor moon? I can make that one, and basically anything Fri or Sat. I have a feeling though I'm going to be late w' all the other Sailor moon people because they are deciding to have the photoshoot at 12pm the same time the panel starts.

marsie
06-15-2004, 08:04 PM
ahhhh
Damn it. I better let them know about that. -.-

Flippy
06-15-2004, 09:23 PM
Oh I can't believe I forgot about this book on the topic...I really want to by it.
http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=3929

DarkChocobo
07-04-2004, 10:31 PM
Book looks.........interesting.......