PDA

View Full Version : mmm, prosthetics (ears!)

JunJun
05-27-2004, 10:25 AM
^_^ I got a pair of prosthetic ear tips! I have a basic grasp of how to put them on, but can anybody tell me how durable they are to makeup application and removal? Also, do you have any tips for applying the makeup to make it look natural? The ear tips are already painted to look better (i ordered them as such, i didn't trust myself to paint them!). And last but not least, once i've slathered makeup all over them and myself, would i simply wash the ears off with soap and water, or should i use makeup remover on them? I don't know how delicate or durable these things are.
I look forward to replies from all the Zelda cosplayers :)
Thank you!

Drackt
05-27-2004, 01:39 PM
All the advice I can give is to make sure your hair isn't in the way! I had used it for a werewolf design and it was getting a bit tricky to put them on and try not to have your hairs stick to the glue by accident.

KusanIvy
05-27-2004, 07:28 PM
You'll find the ears quite durable (I'm assuming they are latex), although you should still try to be gentle with them. They are designed to have some make-up applied to them once they've been put on.

My suggestion for cleaning would be to use the make-up remover, give them a little swish through some rubbing alchohol and then wash them gently in soap and water. Don't rub or scrub them unless you have to and use something that won't scratch (like a paper towel)

Kiyomi
05-28-2004, 12:25 AM
I have found that as long as you're not too rough with them, they should be fine. Also, Drackt is right, it is way too easy to get your hair caught in the spirit gum. Good luck with those ears!

kitsunered
05-28-2004, 06:38 PM
Spirit gum remover (you can buy it at most costume shops) is fabulous for cleaning both your prosthetics and your own ears. You just rub it onto the prosthetic or your skin and it removes any stickiness. Then you just pat dry and you're good to go. :)

-K

Niko
05-29-2004, 12:48 AM
When you put the spirit gum onto the ears, let it dry for about half a minute, then dab at it with a cloth. This will make the spirit gum more tacky. Also, make sure the ear fits as naturally as possible onto your own ear, because it is going to STICK IN PLACE hardcore.

If the ear isn't the same color as your own skin, apply the foundation you usually use on your face to the ear all over, and then go back in with a cutip or a small brush and gently shade in the crevices with natural colors of eyeshadow, like red, oranges, etc. Then, after you put it onto your ear, smear the foundation over the join, and go back with the cutip and reshade the area and also your own ear. It will make the shadows darker in your own ear, and make the whole thing blend naturally. I did this for Deedlit at acen and I got a lot of compliments on my ears. The makeup also stays on the ears for a long time and doesn't easily rub off if you powder the ears well and let them dry before you touch them.

Like the others said, spirit gum remover is your friend!