PDA

View Full Version : corrupting the youth...?

Yui
11-25-2002, 03:01 AM
I have a confession to state. A few years ago I was introduced to j-rock in general, and perhaps due to the utterly uninspiring art school I was stuck in at the time, it was then I took a partcular bond to visual kei. I became immersed most thoroughly by it, for finally here were real boys who accurately already peopled my mind. The shock for me was not their stark contrast to the normals, but rather that they almost perfectly corresponded to my own imagination, as if my own thoughts were anthromorphized, whether I wanted to admit it or not. I felt an instant bond, cemeted only more firmly by the remarkably powerful, emotive music. Falling into this state in itself was my own conscious decision which I regret no part of. The issue at hand arises due to the monster I inadvertantly created...

My little niece "accidentally" viewed some of my Malice Mizer videos at some point, and she too has appearantly contracted the affliction. My sister and I make a point to monitor her anime viewing -- not that we restrict it much (she has watched D, Miyu, old Kenshin and BASTARD!! with us right along with Cardcaptor Sakura and Pokemon), but we make sure we talk about everything very openly with her. And with that, she never seemed to be too adversely-affected...until perhaps now with this new preoccupation. She has more opinions on Mizer issues than any ten-year-old American girl ought to have. Most likely, than any ten-year-old Japanese girl ought to have. (In particular, her thoughts concerning Tetsu/Gackt/Klaha preference are quite extensive.) Inevitably, this would lead her to the insistance that she should be "mini-Mana" for her next cosplay.

While she's agreed to go along with the Saiyuki &/or Star Ocean group for next ACen, I promised her in return I'd make her a Mana costume for one of the October Chicago-area cons. Strangely enough, this seems to be okay with her mom - so long as we don't do Illuminati ^_^* What I was wondering though is there any Mana costume that won't be disturbing when worn by an actual little girl? Is it even possible?
:schitzo:
& Has anyone else corrupted younger family members?

shiroi_yukiko
11-25-2002, 12:38 PM
Mana has a lot of outifts that should be okay for a little girl. (Esp. since Illuminati has already been ruled out.) The fact that it's an actual little girl would probably even make the outfits work better (as compared to seeing the same outfits on say... a grown man. *hugs Mana*).

As for corrupting younger family members... I used to watch my LAREINE videos while I babysat my sister's kids, whic eventually resulted in an evening of my niece (3 years old at the time) running around yelling "boys dressed as girls". Luckily, that didn't stick or my sister might have killed me. XP

avagoyle
11-25-2002, 11:29 PM
personally, i dont think it is corrupting, but educating :D

Yui
11-26-2002, 09:49 PM
Yeah, I think so too. It's good to spread such culture to the young people of this country....cuz otherwise, they're going to end up being overly conventional and sqeemish of true art, as most of this continent is already.

DancingVampire
11-27-2002, 06:10 AM
I know J-rock visual can get iffy with really younger kids but look at Christina's new video Im sorry but thats pretty bad to and its all over TV *cough*slut*cough* so as some poeple say just watch the News or MTV and you can find somethings just as bad (exept for maybe perhaps j-rocks drag notion )

Lilli
11-28-2002, 01:43 AM
Hehee, Yui-chaaaaan! Make her a Mana costume from Merveilles, like our group ^-^ Only... smaller XD It's not overly complicated, as you saw at ACen ^^;; ohohoho...

Hmmm. Unless you love your niece, and don't wish to subject her to white face paint.

Maybe... <ponders> You could always make her a Gekka no Yasokyoku Mana, if you're feeling ambitious. All those ruffles, oi...

Gothic_Lulu
11-29-2002, 07:06 AM
Illumnati....that is definetly not one for the kiddies.....

Something similiar to this happened to me....my sister actually saw some of Illumnati.....(she found my Malice Mizer songs)....she was honestly a bit wierded out.....she could not picture me listening or even watching that kind of stuff ^^;.....but she would have eventually seen it someday....at least your niece sort of understands it ^^;

Mana has many costumes so it won't be that hard....( I personally thought the costumes in Merveilles were very pretty)....

-Gothic Lulu

:devil:

Beramode
12-01-2002, 02:16 AM
The difference is when you educate your child as to, well.. perhaps possible explanations as to why these guys are running around on stage dressed the way they are...

perhaps I'm speaking from a paranoid point of view as a member of the LGBT (more specifically, the "T") community, I would worry about my child (particularly if it were male) wanting to dress in an obviously feminine matter, though obviously there are many factors in that regard...

at least your niece didn't understand the lyrics to Illuminati... or did she? ^^;;;

Yui
12-01-2002, 11:11 PM
Hmmm....I doubt seriously that most people - even those fluent in Japanese - fully understand Illuminati. For beyond the mere instant shock-value imagery and seizure-inducing flashing is wonderful commentary on virtual pureness in a perceived reality. Natural, instinctive virual behavoir through self-induced brainwashing. Questioning ethics in internal battles for domination. All that, and a catchy song, too. ^_^

And Illuminati alone cannot individually speak of Malice Mizer; it's only a chapter in the whole epic they defined as human. They extend beyond even their works, as they are actors who carry their personas into their own lives, because they truely believe in the emotions of the stories they help to tell. I personally find such dedication and creativity truely heroic, that there is no facet of human nature they are hesistant to explore. We as cosplayers (who are not musically-inclined Japanese men ourselves) cannot retell their stories, but we can support their efforts and help spread awareness, if not support. Becuase I don't think most people -can- mentally withstand j-rock, but it is very important that people know it exists.

Definitely, j-rock is not anything to push on anyone, especially young persons, but those that do have my admiration for their brave and open mind. Visual kei is perhaps one of the first true steps towards the destruction of gender boundaries--or perhaps, gender itself.

manaxmana
12-09-2002, 11:50 AM
My dad denouce Kyo after he saw a wallpaper of him bloodied on my pc. Gah... He said Jrock are for people who takes drugs. Grr.. Damn him.

But my mom had a different view. she said Haido is cute and very good-looking! xDDDDD

Koumori
12-09-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Yui
Hmmm....I doubt seriously that most people - even those fluent in Japanese - fully understand Illuminati. For beyond the mere instant shock-value imagery and seizure-inducing flashing is wonderful commentary on virtual pureness in a perceived reality. Natural, instinctive virual behavoir through self-induced brainwashing. Questioning ethics in internal battles for domination. All that, and a catchy song, too. ^_^

Or possibly "every goth cliche we could think of." ;)

As for your sister, there are lots of Mana outfits that she could look really pretty in - although I wonder if it wouldn't have a little bit of vampire-Claudia creepiness to it, too, but your sister sounds like she might enjoy that. She sounds like a sophisticated kid. I would love to see a kid in the Au Revoir flower dress...

mistresschimera
12-09-2002, 01:46 PM
I think it would be cute for a little girl to be dressed as a "Voyage" Mana.. It may be a little elaborate, but I always thought it would be cute. The Merveilles type dresses are a thumbs up too for being "kid-friendly" at least I think so. ^_^*

I think it's pretty cool that she is intrested in Mana..I see him being a better role model then..oh..Britney Spears or something.

Yui
12-11-2002, 11:30 PM
manaxmana: If he'd even believe it, you can tell your dad that I have never taken drugs, and never intend to, and that includes alcohol and cigarettes. For I'm retaining the purity of by soul and body for music alone -- it's the most important thing in my universe, and I love all kinds: jazz, opera, classical right along with rock ballads and dark industrial -- which is probably why I have such dedication to the Mizer boys because they really ran the musical gamut in the few years they had together. And as far as Japanese music goes, I'll seriously listen to almost everything, from Dir en Grey to Deen, and I don't mind admitting it. I mean, I like TMR and B'z and I have no excuse. My fruity para-para deva sister even got me hooked on the eurobeat-y Bemani soundtracks. So in that regard, music is my drug, then, and I will eat it all.

...Besides, everyone knows that those interested in Japanese media could not afford drugs even if they -wanted- them. J-rock in particular is a fantastic (and probably healthier....maybe) substitute. Though people like me are rare, we do exist. Condemning misunderstandings and generalizing personalities just makes me really sad of this world's frightened intolerance.

Yui
12-11-2002, 11:34 PM
Koumori: yeah, j-rock and gothiness is kinda like zen. One can spout out koans all day, but if you really get it, you don't need to get it, and you don't have to explain how you got it or that you got it at all. Some people will be enlightened; other people are just posing in the wave. But even the posers will find them themselves immersed and fully submerged one day, so I have to give them credit for having good taste.

Lilli
12-12-2002, 01:41 AM
._. Yui-chaaaan *glomps* I -just- registered what you're making the costume in exchange for... Saaaiiiiyuuuukiiii... *dusts off the Sanzo costume and acts all moody* O.o ACTUALLY.... PRECIS!! *gags and falls over from the cuteness because your niece would make such a freakishly adorable Precis...* and since I accepted the fact that I'm about 10 years too old and 2 feet too tall... Yes, now all we need is the corruption factor to set in... I can give you my Bobot?? muehehe XD

Koumori, Yui's niece is really awesome :3 It was a very pleasant shock to find that she's a lot of fun to talk to, and has intelligent things to say. Heheee, she's definitely Yui's niece!! (Yaaaaaaaaay for Yui and Rashakittie for being such a good corrupting influence on their niece, hehe) Although she did confuse me when I first met her, and she was asking me, "Are you a monkey?" from DDR... but I wasn't that into DDR at the time, and was DEEP into sleep deprivation, like literally 5 hours total sleep in the past 3 days, and so I answered, "ah. no, I'm a cat girl... nyao?" she just kinda... stared for a couple of seconds... then went back to DDR. LOL... If I'm lucky, she's young enough that she's forgotten what a retard I am when I'm sleepy ^^; oohohoho...

._. I lost track of my train of thought. Yuuuiii *-* Let's make her into a Merveilles Mana Moth! XD But you know I'm just saying it because I want to cosplay with a Mini-me... or is it 'Mini-Mana'? Hehee, on the bright side, we now know from experience it can be made overnight? ...though I don't recommend it. My scar still hurts sometimes ._.;;

Edit: Hooked on phonics... hooked on phonics...