PDA

View Full Version : Changing Race

jeri
05-27-2004, 06:49 PM
Other than being into cosplay, i'm also a member of a close-quarter theater (ie. the actors and audience are not seperated and interact with each other). For an upcoming performance, we need a method of making an american (myself) appear to be asian. I can do most of the manerisms and have an accent perfect, but our make-up artist cannot make my face appear asian. Does anyone here have any tips on products and\or technique???????

mikazuki
05-28-2004, 01:00 PM
Well in old Hollywood they used tape to make the eyes slanted. You can also use liquid eyeliner to create an almond shaped eye.

archangeli
05-31-2004, 11:52 PM
and also facial tapes to pull back the skin around the eyes

check out Kevyn Aucoin's Making Faces - he uses them at one point in the book.

jeri
06-03-2004, 08:16 AM
Thanx for the help, the production was yesturday and your tips worked great. After i created this thread, i found the "Looking Japanese" thread and used the tips there too.

Kirschwasser
06-07-2004, 01:01 PM
Other than being into cosplay, i'm also a member of a close-quarter theater (ie. the actors and audience are not seperated and interact with each other). For an upcoming performance, we need a method of making an american (myself) appear to be asian. I can do most of the manerisms and have an accent perfect, but our make-up artist cannot make my face appear asian. Does anyone here have any tips on products and\or technique???????

I must comment on this, but what exactly do you mean by "American"? There is every race & culture in the U.S., so there isn't an "American" race. (Well, the only true American's are the Native North Americans...if you are just talking about North America.) I don't know if this is insulting to you or not, but I find it highly amusing. Besides, it's hard to change one's look to another (dealing with different races).

Razvan Sedekiah
06-08-2004, 03:23 PM
Oi... I don't want to come off as rude but... I agree some what with Kirschwasser.
(I don't find this amusing though ^^;)

In this America, the USA... we are off many different shades and cultures. (and that's what makes us so freaking cool!)

Also, it would be more helpful to people if you would tell us what you look like. You say American and I don't know what you look like.

And now the big one......
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS RACE WHEN REFERING TO HUMAN BEINGS.

That is not a equality issue, that is a scientific issue. Not many know this, but human beings cannot be classified by race.

The problem with using race to discribe differences between humans is that there simply isn't enough GENETIC VARIATION between different groups of humans to set up races. We are all too geneticly similiar.

I'm not a very good make-up artist, so I can offer no advise there. Sorry. ^^;

I'm sure you were not trying to be rude or mean or anything. Just asking a simple question I'm sure. I just had to say this ^^. Cuz I'm weird that way.

SORRY FOR ANY SPELLING ERRORS.. I totaly suck at spelling. ^_^

But hey... speaking of transformations!! Anyone see the trailer for "White Girls"? You know "white people" would totaly be crusified for doing the reverse. ^^; heh. But really, although it looks fake, the transformation of the two lead characters IS pretty impressive. You may want to try googling ( google.com ) on how to get the right look.

jeri
06-10-2004, 09:34 AM
By american, i meen a mixing-pot of nearly every "race" (for lack of a better word). my family has a lil bit of every culture in it, but the majority of my heritage is Israilie and Scotch-Irish (I know, interesting mix). But all of this is irrelivant, the production was a week ago. But i do appreciate the input. And for the new way of looking at things, Razvan.

BTW Razvan, ur not weird. I actually fing ur way of thinking quite insightful. Maybe we can get on a messenger service or something and we can talk about it more. (I'm a philisophy fanatic and this is a new subject).

Kumaneko
06-10-2004, 11:59 AM
I don't have any specific ideas for you.. but a note about costume make up.. A lot of times things on tv and movies that look even to be 3D are makeup application done by artists.. the illusion is staggering even in person. A lot of times airbrushing on makeup is used as well. If you posted a photo of your face people might have more specific ideas or tips for you.

As a fellow mut (with only slightly less varians in my geographical heritage) I identify with your difficulty in describing your selves within the prescribed perameters of our culture.. Usually in these instances I think it would be best to describe your self scientifically and anatomically if you cannot post a photo. Describing your skin tone in terms of commonly understood colors is very helpful. For instance "white" people are, for the most part not white in color, generally ranging from a light pink color to what is generally referred to as "olive" (which of course isn't olive in color... )

For arguments sake I refered to dictionary.com on the topic of "race" and there are some very interesting entries there.. If you are at all interested in exploring the topic scholastically I suggest reading the articles (not the definitions necessarily) here http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=race

jeri
06-10-2004, 04:23 PM
For those of you that would like a pic, here's one, but it's a bit old (a year and a half i think, but it's the only one i could find.)

Sephi-chan
06-11-2004, 11:09 PM
I agree with Kumaneko about CG looking makeup....a lot of people thought my make-up for my Kimahri costume in my prepics was CG work...but when i actually wore the whole thing like at A-kon 15...there couldn't be doubt left.

As for techniques on doing races....or rather BEYOND human...Eyeshadow is an amaizing thing. Not only can you resculpt your face into beutiful variences ranging from masculine to feminine with a few strokes, but it is virtually rainproof with the right protection, and so light, you'll forget you're wearing it. I used Eyeshadow for my Drow costume...with the occassional dabbling in liquid latex for my arms. Larpax in an amaizing paint that won't rub off like others, and it won't crack as long as you apply it correctly. for more information on Larpax...and amaizing animal prosthetics... go to www.lyonshel.com.

With Eyeshadow, however, blending is a breeze...and it graces well with prosthetics and is gentle to the skin. And it is easy to find just about anywhere!!! Aliens, beast people, you name it...and it's affordable for people who can't invest in Bill nye or Larpax.

Kumaneko
06-12-2004, 09:54 AM
Wow jeri, you are really quite stunning. You seem to have easily maskable attributes.. a wig and coloring on your brows and you would be convincingly asian even with out much makeup.

For some reason people think I'm asian all the time even though I'm a big fuzzy guy of mostly north-western european decent.. apparently it's my eyes and manner. The funny thing is (believe it or not..) the people that usually say "wait, your not asian?" are asians..

***edit***
Actually when I bleached my hair for GTO cosplay it was even worse.. because I shaved every day and my hair turned the color that asian hari typically turns when bleached

jeri
06-14-2004, 09:17 AM
Thanx for the flattery, Kumaneko, i've never been called stunning before. :love:

Kumaneko
06-17-2004, 12:57 PM
haha! I find that hard to believe!