PDA

View Full Version : Belle from Beauty and the Beast/Kingdom Hearts

Rivenchan
05-27-2004, 10:00 PM
Hi guys, I'm not really sure if this should go in Other Costumes or what.. but I wanted some critique so I decided to post it here instead :) I hope y'all don't mind a little Disney ^_^;;

It's got hand-dyed gloves and shoes (that you can't see.. sigh), bridal-style buttons down the back (had to dye those yellow as well...) We also dyed the purse to match, but in some lighting it's still too light... :-/ It's also got a corset, and two peticoats underneath x.x

As for the hair... I've bought a hair extension since Sakuracon (where I first wore this and where the pictures are from) so that next time I wear it I can just my own hair for the bun, and use the extension for the hair that comes down over my shoulder.

It's difficult to get pictures of the dress's real color because it's all made of silk dupioni and changes in the light ^^;; (heh.. so expensive... needless to say, it'll be my only new costume for.. uh.. awhile..)

kiwi
05-27-2004, 10:19 PM
I saw you at Sakuracon, and the dress looked wonderful up close as well as in the photos ^^ I certainly couldn't find anything to critique about it, it's a very good, accurate-to-character reproduction ^^

JunJun
05-27-2004, 10:32 PM
Ohhhhhhhh, lovely!!! *squee* i heart beauty and the beast.
i love the COLORS! So vibrant!

As far as critiquing goes, do you have a crystal brooch? I can't see whether you do or not. It would be a nice touch.
Also, the rose you carry, might want to be more of a blood red, and tigher closed. Synthetic would definitely be good, as you don't want that sucker wilting all day! lol.
Oh! If you had any trouble with recognition at the con (we don't expect disney characters!), you may want to carry a cute Beast plush! Hehe. Plushes are superfun. You could pin a rose to him. X3

Man, that's just lovely. As far as the underappreciation for the shoes, in further photo shoots, maybe you could have a few shots lifting your gown just a bit, to show your shoe. Walking or something.
So pretty!! lol. i can't get over how gorgeous that is! You should wear it to the opera XD

livvylove
05-27-2004, 10:40 PM
wow thats beautiful. The belle's I have seen at disney world always had the see-through material over the bottom half of the dress but i like the silk it just looks so soft. Maybe when you have a little more money to update it you could make the dress poof out more around the hips. But it still looks beautiful.

Eleryth
05-27-2004, 10:43 PM
I hardly ever go fangirly, but that is just amazing! Honestly. I really have to be picky to notice anything to fix up.

I love the colors, I love Belle, and I love the fact that you have corsets and petticoats! However, maybe another petticoat or two? Your dress is nicely poufed, but it doesn't quite poof out like hers does in that image behind you (like, rounded out from the hips, you know? perhaps looking into bustles might give you an idea - not that you need a bustle, but you know...).

For some reason, the seam down the middle of the bodice bothers me. I know it's supposed to be there, but it seems to stand out a lot.

Also, the lines at your bodice where it meets the skirt aren't the same as the image - hers is smooth, and yours has scallops. Not to worry, though, they don't detract from the overall look of the outfit!

Personally, I don't think you'd have any trouble getting recognized - probably mostly 'why are you wearing Disney to an anime convention?' (which doesn't matter, in my opinion).

My last question - did you use a pattern for this? Just curious!

topleka
05-27-2004, 10:43 PM
O_O I remember you from SakuCon! The dress was absobally wonderful. Very full skirt, which is something that many cosplayers tend to overlook. You look so beautiful. My friend Firiel is a huge Disney fan and she was very excited to see you there. ^-^

Rivenchan
05-27-2004, 11:19 PM
As far as critiquing goes, do you have a crystal brooch? I can't see whether you do or not. It would be a nice touch.
Also, the rose you carry, might want to be more of a blood red, and tigher closed. Synthetic would definitely be good, as you don't want that sucker wilting all day! lol.
Oh! If you had any trouble with recognition at the con (we don't expect disney characters!), you may want to carry a cute Beast plush! Hehe. Plushes are superfun. You could pin a rose to him. X3

Yes, I had the brooch, it's made out of the same buttons as the earings, and the buttons on the skirt - I'll attach a picture (belle_close.jpg) so you can see it better :)
As for the rose, I guess I should've included more refrence picture - I was trying to give it a look like the rose-under-glass in 8elledisney.jpg
I love your idea of toting a Beast plush! I have no idea where i'd find one but that's going to be a new goal for AX! :D

Maybe when you have a little more money to update it you could make the dress poof out more around the hips.
Your dress is nicely poufed, but it doesn't quite poof out like hers does in that image behind you (like, rounded out from the hips, you know? perhaps looking into bustles might give you an idea - not that you need a bustle, but you know...).
Also, the lines at your bodice where it meets the skirt aren't the same as the image - hers is smooth, and yours has scallops. Not to worry, though, they don't detract from the overall look of the outfit!

Ack, I guess this is another instance of I-should've-included-more-refrence-pictures ^_^;; A weird thing I noticed when I was working on this costume was that i really couldn't find a definitive design for the dress - it even varied scene-to-scene in the movie! The picture that I worked from the most showed the skirt as less poofy, and scalloped (see Belle_refrence.jpg) Unfortunantly, with the way the dress is made, in order to make the skirt more full would require completely re-doing the entire skirt... sooo.. I think I'll be leaving it as is ^^;; I dont even know where I'd ever find that same shade of yellow silk ^^;;;;

My last question - did you use a pattern for this? Just curious!
Well, my mom and I started working from some civil war simplicity (I think) patterns.. but we tweaked and reworked then so many times that essentially we drafted the pattern ourselves.. I can't tell you how many times we had to refit that bodice.. it hurts just thinking about it! ^^;; The skirt never had a starting pattern, though, we just mocked up 8 big panels of muslin, added crinolin on the outside to make them poof and ruffly a bit more, and sewed on the baggy top layer of silk.

Does anyone have any crits on the makeup? I dont usually wear any makeup at all - this was my first time actually ^^;; any tips or tricks to make me look more uh.. like Belle? I know I need a lighter pink lipstick... But at the time I just figured "Hey, at least the lipstick matches the rose ^^;;; "

Eleryth
05-28-2004, 02:54 AM
I don't actually know much about makeup, either...but I can suggest wearing fake eyelashes (at least on top, bottom optional). They really make eyes 'pop', and stand out more, like a cartoon characters do. The lipstick doesn't look that bad to me. Belle is also of lighter skin, but there really isn't anything you can do about that. You could just take in a swatch of fabric to a good makeup chain, and ask them to come up with something that looked good with your complexion (that looks wrong...) and the color, regardless if its the 'same' as Belle's.

You're right, the variance of images is a pain! The only thing I noticed this time was that your arm things seem tighter than hers. On Belle, they look almost puffy, like the dress, instead of flat.. really hard to describe, and possibly impossible to acheive (seeing that I haven't tried to make it myself).

Still absolutely wonderful, though... seriously. This dress was on a 'must make' list of mine for a while...it's off now, but it makes me happy to see a good rendition of it! (a way better job than I could have done, mind you!)

Sashi
05-28-2004, 04:49 AM

You're right, the variance of images is a pain! The only thing I noticed this time was that your arm things seem tighter than hers. On Belle, they look almost puffy, like the dress, instead of flat..

Also aren't they supposed to be more translusent like chiffon?They're also no yellow but more of a beige/creamy colour.I've seen the movie quite a number of times so I'm very familiar with this dress :)
Also the pearls on your chest could be bigger too(with the middle one the biggest)and pearly white instead of yellow.

But really,it's so nice to see Disney cosplay ^_^
(I'm a big fan of Disney)
I think you dress is wonderful and you did such a great job!!!
Oh and the little handbag is a really nice touch ;)

_Mandy_
05-28-2004, 03:59 PM
Hey, I think it's the prettiest thing! I mean really, it's so beautiful. I would love to be able to sew something that good. The fabric looks so expensive though. And props for doing a Disney/KH character. Kingdom Hearts is the best video game ^_^. I really like the way the skirt looks, all poofy and stuff and how the ruffles look. It's very well done.

Senko-chan
05-28-2004, 11:29 PM
The dress looks wonderful! good job, the movie scared the hell out of me, but good job. You make a good Belle ^_^

JunJun
05-30-2004, 12:04 AM
Makeup:

--The first thing i notice about your face is that you look tired. Belle has that fresh, bright/big eyed Disney heroine look about her. I suggest brightening up the areas around your eyes. Don't use dark shadow. Use a happy rose color. Also, when taking photographs, try to smile with your eyes as well. Widen them, and try to will that Disney sparkle to them!
--You may want to give your eyebrows a slightly more delicate, arched look. A more arched look would, i believe, help to widen your eye's appearance as well.
--I know every Disney lady has cute pink cheeks, but it just doesn't work on real girls. Apply a more rose colored (less bright pink) blush, and only along your cheekbones. In a photograph, you shouldn't ever notice blush. It should just look like a healthy person in the cheeks.
--Lips! I would call the color a little too harsh, but only a little. I would suggest lightening it up with a pinkish shimmery gloss. I heart gloss! Gloss gives your mouth a LOT more life in photographs! As they are now, your lips are very matte, and add to the tired appearance of your face.
--Other: I don't know if you're wearing foundation or anything, but despite the fact that you may never want to wear the stuff on normal days, wear it for photos! This way, you control the redness in your skin, and any imperfections that may arise that day.

You're lucky in that you already have the basic complexion of Belle. You really only have to work with your face and accentuate that, rather than trying to create a "new" look.
You have done a really good job as it is, but i think tweaking and fine tuning would really give a sparkle and that glittery happiness that disney heroines have.
I hope that all helped, lol. You should peruse the makeup forum. I really enjoy makeup and how it can change a person's appearance. Makeup is such an important part of costumes, and most cosplayers really overlook it. It is, in my opinion, what combines you, the costumer, with the character you're doing. You have to make you yourself look good, but still look like the character! its hard, but fun when it succeeds, and makes good costumes look all that much better.

JunJun!

freakyarcher
05-30-2004, 01:47 AM
omg!!! you look so pretty in that costume! it looks just like hers. i would not change anything! well, unless you wanted to give it your own little touches, but otherwise: you have the shades of yellow correct, and the hair, and i love the skirt! you really are belle!

KHs_Sora
06-02-2004, 05:55 PM
It looks great!

livvylove
06-02-2004, 06:32 PM
I just love looking at it, i keep coming back here just to check out your costume. The more I look at it the more I love it and want to try it on ^^

Mokona Plushie
06-02-2004, 08:15 PM
This is awesome! I would only go only with the suggestions other made. Otherwise it is truly a beautiful gown.

Quita
06-09-2004, 03:50 AM
... Wow. That's about all that comes to mind. Awesome job!