PDA

View Full Version : Duct Tape

Ryoko-Dono
05-29-2004, 02:19 PM
Its not really a costume, but its still fun.

Has anyone else ever wanted to make a duct tape dress/outfit? Does anyone have pics or tips to share?

I know theres a contest for prom outfits made from duct tape, has anyone here entered them?

*Sugar*
05-29-2004, 02:35 PM
Hello! ^^ I made a Duct tape skirt ... and a few other ....undergarnments out of duct tape too ^^;; *shhh* but that was back in *counts on fingers* 7 years ago ^^;; *feels old* ... but yeah~ as for tip, I just stuck the duct tape to itself many times~ and attempted to sew a zipper into it ^^;; .. I might have some pictures,.. Of the skirt~ but I'll have to look for them ^^ :bigtu: have you made anything?

Ryoko-Dono
05-29-2004, 02:38 PM
Not yet, I've only got a half of a roll of silver right now. But I have every intentin of going and making a tanktop/or more in the near future, like today. ^^

*runs off to make tank top* should be easy enough, right?

Did you make it on yourself? or did you make it on a model or floor?
I'm thinking the easiest way is to wrap duct tape (sticky side out) around myself(loose enough though) then wrap it the other way on top.

*Sugar*
05-29-2004, 02:51 PM
Well, it was time consuming for one ^^;; .. but the way I did mine, was laying vertical strips on the floor, sticky side up, over lapping then, then laying more strips onto those, sticky side down~ that way there was no stickiness to stick onto anything else~ then periodically, I'd hold it up to myslef, to make sure it was forming right I'll have to look for those pictues~ .. ^^;; oh, and the fact that it's sticky makes it alittle hard ^^;; especially if you stick it to the wrong place ^^;;;;

Ryoko-Dono
05-29-2004, 02:53 PM
*nod* Okay, my idea was good in theory, not in practice. Ooops. ^^;;

I also need some arm strangth, when unwrapping duct tape around myslef it was VERY HARD!! (I got two ways around my body before I gave up)

*Sugar*
05-29-2004, 03:09 PM
hehe, yeah ^^;; lotsa arm strength~ especially when the roll gets smaller, it gets harder to pull~ and that's why I was working with strips... I think it'd be hard to work with just one big piece of duct tape~ but the strips weren't soo bad~.... watch out if you're working on carpet ^^;; *had to cut some carpet to get the duct tape off*

Ryoko-Dono
05-29-2004, 03:27 PM
Okay, so, lets see. I need to a) get more duct tape, and b) work in strips

Thanks for the advice!

Katachi
05-29-2004, 08:24 PM
I have a friend from Kawaii Gemini (http://www.angelfire.com/anime4/glompme/) who made a full duct tape kimono for prom last year. I'll try to find some pics of it...

Also, check out www.nobrandcon.com Their mascot is "duct tape boy". It's a guy COMPLETELY covered in duct tape. Fun but stinky.

Here's the competition she entered last year:
http://www.ducktapeclub.com/contests/prom/archive.asp

lemme see if I can find the pic...
dang, only thumbnails seem to be working, but anyway, she's the one from WI with the white painted face.

Ah well, that should be plenty of inspiration for your duct tape project :P

Ryoko-Dono
05-29-2004, 09:17 PM
I have a friend from Kawaii Gemini (http://www.angelfire.com/anime4/glompme/) who made a full duct tape kimono for prom last year. I'll try to find some pics of it...

Also, check out www.nobrandcon.com Their mascot is "duct tape boy". It's a guy COMPLETELY covered in duct tape. Fun but stinky.

Here's the competition she entered last year:
http://www.ducktapeclub.com/contests/prom/archive.asp

lemme see if I can find the pic...
dang, only thumbnails seem to be working, but anyway, she's the one from WI with the white painted face.

Ah well, that should be plenty of inspiration for your duct tape project :P
Wow, thats some major talent!

Eleryth
05-29-2004, 09:21 PM
I remember seeing her picture on cosplaylab.com! At least, I think that was her. That was really cool... I should have saved a pic. Now I can't find her there...

Duct tape can also be used in the same sort of manner to make "templates" for corsets. Sarcasm did one this way, and it turned out really well. I think you'd need someone helping you, though.

It's also a way to make a body double, so you have a dressform that fits you. Just wear a really long, old shirt, and have a friend tape you up, from hips to neck. Tape to the shirt, being careful about wrinkles. When finished, cut it off, carefully, then stuff it with batting or something, and tape up the holes. You can hang it from a coat hanger, or build a stand for it to stand on a pole/tripod thing.

Ryoko-Dono
05-29-2004, 10:17 PM
I remember seeing her picture on cosplaylab.com! At least, I think that was her. That was really cool... I should have saved a pic. Now I can't find her there...

Duct tape can also be used in the same sort of manner to make "templates" for corsets. Sarcasm did one this way, and it turned out really well. I think you'd need someone helping you, though.

It's also a way to make a body double, so you have a dressform that fits you. Just wear a really long, old shirt, and have a friend tape you up, from hips to neck. Tape to the shirt, being careful about wrinkles. When finished, cut it off, carefully, then stuff it with batting or something, and tape up the holes. You can hang it from a coat hanger, or build a stand for it to stand on a pole/tripod thing.
Thats a really good idea. I should definatly try that.

Space Invader
05-29-2004, 11:45 PM
I want to make a duct tape Sephiroth outfit, as a joke. Duct tape "wig", sword, and all. Muahahaha~

avskull
05-30-2004, 01:49 AM
lol...^.^ after some time the duct tape will turn all acidy. Maybe make everything around it yellow.

Ryoko-Dono
05-30-2004, 12:41 PM
lol...^.^ after some time the duct tape will turn all acidy. Maybe make everything around it yellow.
It will? Oh... *cries*

avskull
05-30-2004, 01:32 PM
Just got to seal the duct tape clothes good, so you wont that problem.

Claireon
05-30-2004, 04:10 PM
The sequined bustier for my Columbia (RHPS) costume (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=64112&sort=1&cat=500&page=1) was made of paper pattern pieces I copied from another corset, interfaced with duck tape, and covered with double-sided carpet tape and strips of sequins. I punched holes in the back and ran shoelaces up and down the length to close it. . . . Unfortunately, the measurements were really sloppy and the bustier didn't like to stay up.

I also made a little black-and-red pillbox hat out of duck and electrical tape . . . and use duck and electrical tape as trimming when I'm too sick and tired of sewing to use bias tape. ^^;;

By the way, did you know that the proper name for it actually is "duck tape?" The idea is that it's waterproof; water rolls off of it like it rolls off a duck's back. Everyone calls it duct tape now, but it's not at all meant for sealing ducts and is in fact rather bad at it.

dani
05-30-2004, 05:16 PM
I do have some specific uses for duct tape:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=97911&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Also... I've seen TRANSPARENT duct tape at some stores (a lot more expensive than the regular one)

Dani

GoldfishGirl
05-30-2004, 05:25 PM
A very popular saying (at least as far as Techie-Highschooler's goes) is "If you can't duck it, fuck it."
I <B duck tape.

Riko
06-02-2004, 01:37 AM
Yes haha
I made a complete Shuyin (FFX-2) duct tape outfit and Sora (KH2) just this year
I don't know how to sew (yet) so thats what happened
It was my first cosplay too ^_____^
I dont have any pictures of the completed Shuyin costume but I had a few wip tests
http://zephyr.vplaces.com/incompleteshyin.jpg

Sora is up on cosplaylab http://cosplaylab.com/cosplayers/costumes/details.asp?costumeid=52218

Kinda strange i know haha but its unique

Riko
06-04-2004, 01:12 AM
anybody have any more duct tape costumes?

GoldfishGirl
06-04-2004, 09:48 AM
Your costumes are awesome, Riko! I never thought about making something from duct tape instead of sewing it. DO they breathe well or is it kinda muggy when you're wearing them?

Riko
06-04-2004, 09:57 AM
No, they don't breathe well at all but it was ok because they were shorts/short sleeved and I didn't do anything too active while wearing them :P

Xanthe Kelsylva
06-04-2004, 01:12 PM
lmao there was an SCA event I went to where the theme of the A&S competition was duct tape and people made full Medieval costumes out of duct tape. It was so funny to see how one of the dresses moved when the girl was wearing it.

lol, one person made a chastity belt out of duct tape...

GoldfishGirl
06-04-2004, 03:46 PM
A Chastity Belt? That couldn't be too comfortable.

*Sugar*
06-04-2004, 05:58 PM
hehe, it'd only stick to you as you sweated XD .. . . . but not too bad in comfort~~ ... dun ask how I know this XD .. . .. .. . no comment ^^;;

Riko
06-04-2004, 07:07 PM
errr yeah i wore something underneath :p

Kairi G
06-05-2004, 05:03 PM
i saw an awesome costume at the regional Odyssey of the Mind competion here, we competer against her team, grrrr they beat us, but what ever, she had a corset made of duct tape that laced up the back, and a skirt made of black trash bags all gathered up and stuff. it was so cool. the way i would make a clothing item out of duct tape wouldbe to make a pattern and make the pieces out of duct tape and then tape them together at the seams.

Ryoko-Dono
06-06-2004, 12:39 PM
i saw an awesome costume at the regional Odyssey of the Mind competion here, we competer against her team, grrrr they beat us, but what ever, she had a corset made of duct tape that laced up the back, and a skirt made of black trash bags all gathered up and stuff. it was so cool. the way i would make a clothing item out of duct tape wouldbe to make a pattern and make the pieces out of duct tape and then tape them together at the seams.
Some one did? And I didnt see it? *pouts*

Wait.. I might have seen it....

neekabe
06-06-2004, 05:17 PM
I have a Duck Tape Sailor moon costume in my album (Sailor Sticky!) that was amazingly fun to make and wear (though trying to find a kanji for the earrings was a challange =P)

Anything Duck Tape is really low stress, as there's no worry of the spills, stains, tears, bits falling off, and other minor accidents that can ruin other costumes ^_^

BloodKitty
01-18-2006, 06:31 PM
I have a full out Princess Ai costume made of Duct Tape, and I'm currently working on my 2nd Princess Ai costume. Pictures are up too!! ^.^

meggo1983
06-17-2010, 12:20 AM
I'm working on a duct tape Lulu from FFX. So far I have the basic part of the skirt. I still all the belts and lace.

booklover67
07-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Yay duct tape!! I absolutely love working with duct tape =D I'll put up my pictures of my duct tape Lightning... as soon as I finish and take some =D