PDA

View Full Version : Back from AMA... -^.^-

Fory-san
05-30-2004, 10:57 AM
I attended AMA for about two hours yesterday afternoon because I had a job orientation at 3PM and I had to drive all the way back down to Williamsburg to attend it. I didn't get to wear my Inuyasha costume because I stopped working on it once I got word about the orientation. ^^;;; But despite the short time I was there, I had fun taking pictures and running into old friends. I'm a little disappointed I didn't get to meet Monica Rial (much less sing her my song 9-9;; ) but I did buy a mini-Zaku walking toy and an Astro Boy plushy to add to my ever growing collection of them. Ultry gained new converts for his cult and I told my dad that I plan to wear a sacred robe for his religious outing next time. ^~ I hope you all have a fun and safe trip back from the con and if there are any pics of the masquerade, I would deeply appreciate it if you send me some at a later time! Thanks everyone! ^^

NixKlouD
05-30-2004, 05:15 PM
Hey ^^ I just got back from the con. It was SO much fun! Everyone I ran into was so nice and crazy :) The skits were impressive and the rave was wikid awesome! I went to the art class by Blue and that was fun... geez- games, artists alley- I could go on and on, lol. I hope you guys had as much fun as I did! Thx for making this con a blast!
Take Care,
-Nix```

bigwil
05-30-2004, 07:03 PM
Da dance was slammin :jjacks: ,costumes were cool :bigtu: ,That AMA gets a 8(of 10)from me! :rockon:

BondageFlute
05-30-2004, 07:38 PM
Oh, I had a good time also. ^^ I met so many new friends, and got to see the old too...

I sat in the lobby for about.. 8 hours on Saturday. @_@ Sitting around has never been so fun. Great con. ^_^

Giant Alucard
05-30-2004, 07:55 PM
Con was Awsome except fot the crazy soccer people that didn;t seem to like us, lol.

NixKlouD
05-30-2004, 08:19 PM
Oh I know! The soccer kids got pretty rude : / and was it just me or did some of their coaches get drunk? Not good examples for the kids, ah?
I've got to agree with BondageFlute that sitting around (or walking in circles, which was my main occupation :p ) has never been quite so fun ^^ I miss it already, lol.
Take Care,
-Nix```

makotohanabi
05-30-2004, 09:26 PM
Those soccer gits were psycho, their brats were playing soccer in the halls in the fourth floor, one of them was prothelizing (spelling that right?), and the con staff and hotel did nothing about it. Oddly enough, I believe that if any of the AMA crowd got that drunk and rowdy the hotel would have thrown them out in a heartbeat.

Had fun walking around (until told by con security to go back to the room), but I won't go back next year. Been to many cons and I've never been treated like that.

dizzylizzy
05-30-2004, 09:26 PM
:::just got in::: i'm home. weeeeeeee!!! i'll post more later. ^^ time to unpack! lol

EDIT: as for the room thing... they covered that at the con feedback. i wouldn't blame the con for something like that. it's what the hotel wanted, the security had to do it... but then... it was just to stay out of the atrium, not a lock down. ^^ the rest of the area was open. honestly, it was a good thing to keep people out of the atrium because of the soccer people were being "jerks" at that moment in time. so yeah, don't write off a con because of something like that. it's not their fault. ^^

also that con staff cannot do anything about the soccer people. that's the hotel. >> the con can only control it's atendees.

makotohanabi
05-30-2004, 09:58 PM
Con staff is responsible for working on behalf of the congoers, all they did was write down complaints in a notebook. The soccer people were drunken disorderly and many of the men were propoisitioning underage female congoers. They should have been arrested, instead the sheriff's deputy near the registration desk gave me a suspicious look when I walked into the lobby.

The issue was not addressed to my satisifaction in the con feedback panel and I flat out told them that I would not return to that con. Noticed that the person in charge of the panel was not taking notes when people complained about the soccer/hotel issue. Perhaps if they handled the issue better and it was in a different hotel I may have considered going back.

dizzylizzy
05-30-2004, 10:15 PM
then someone should have said something to the police or the hotel. the con cannot do anything about the soccer people period. they literally can't. they had the police there, that's all they (the con) could do.

she didn't have to take notes. she already knew the whole thing. ^^ she had to deal with the soccer stuff ALL weekend. that's something you, as a con runner, don't forget. plus, having people write things down and turning them in is also a great way to catalogue things. like she said, she'll make sure for the next con that she'll have only the con there and nothing else for next year. this year it was beyond their control.

i guess i'm one for giving cons a second chance. hell i loathed katsu 8 and i still went back for 9 and 10. they were 100 times better than my first katsu visit. ^^ besides, nothing's ever perfect.

anyhow... if you come, you come. if ya don't, ya don't. if ya let something like that ruin a con, oh well. things happen, ya move on. ^^ but, everyone's different. ^^

Tora
05-30-2004, 10:21 PM
Heyyyyyyyy just got in. *falls over/sleeps*

I had a great time at the con! The staff was much more lax than other cons I've been to, and hell, I had at least a handful of good conversations with them! In fact, I met and talked to a lot of new people ^_^

Other than a few over-rowdy con goers, and the aforementioned soccer crew, the atmosphere was great.

Pics will be up soon

Jono-chan
05-30-2004, 10:22 PM
For the short time I was there the con was awesome. So much better than last year. Though I did have to leave early Saturday because I got really ill. ~_~ But Friday was great. Even just walking around I had more fun that I did trying to navigate the labyrinth that was AMA3 and the Sheraton Richmond West. And what can I say, getting my hands on a cute plushie always makes for a better con for me. ^__^

ProfessorZoom
05-30-2004, 10:29 PM
It was a greta con in my opinion. I somehow managed to miss the soccer kids in all but passing and only had one small altercation with a soccer parent. compared to oh, say Otakon where I was tossed around like a feather in the wind and the con itself didn't really do enough to get proper security (as opposed to a few of the jerks I had to deal with) I thought it was a great con. Saying that, I still like otakon but, AMA was a great con this year.

Riji
05-30-2004, 10:40 PM
I thought it was pretty cool. It was fun watching people's reactions to my Mana costume except when a half-eaten strawberry magically landed two inches away from my solid white costume. :thumbsup:

I was in an elevator with a bunch of the soccer kids, they were trying to ignore me.

Xavier
05-30-2004, 11:17 PM
*Realizes he never registered before after lurking around -- Is the guy in the navy blue schoolgirl outfit with swimming trunks under the skirt*

Mmn.. it was my first time at Anime Mid-Atlantic, and aside from the soccer mom contingency (I will discuss later my experiences and my thoughts about them later), it was a great con. I didn't get much swag this time, since I didn't carry much cash with me, but I was the one that had people playing texas hold'em poker for a $3 buy in. I do my usual of roving the con, popping into panels that sound interesting, including the whose line panel when the cosplay room was completely full (I never wait in the line, I wait till the line dies down then go) .... hehe... Android 18 and the oven x.x; (I actually couldn't think of anything).

With my mind always in a muttle, this con in general did at least give me some sort of direction to go with, but as usual, my mind gets sidetracked to other things. ... Blast-it ... maybe one day I can meet a girl I can go out with :)

Now ... Xavier's thoughts on the soccer contigency.

I've written an editorial that I needed to pass to my boss (I work for a pastor as some will know) about my experiences with the convention and why I was absent, and he found it interesting that we are VERY well behaved for our type, whereas the soccer contingency was ... not. I wrote part of this on the second floor when I was still at the con. Lemme copy/paste the portion regarding my cultural experience from this con.

----begin----

[...]Cultural Experience
This would have been a great experience with the convention except for one problem with regards of the other guests of the hotel. We had a huge cultural conflict with the other group that was at the hotel, FC Richmond, a part of a youth soccer assocation. I do not know exactly what happened with the anime and the soccer groups, but it created a huge cultural tension between each other.

I believe it was very hypocritical comments such as "asking where all the adults are", "why are these people so wild?", and proselytizing when the supervisors of their children of the soccer contingency cannot even control their own children, talking trash towards convention goers, throwing things down at attendees at the lobby, and even getting a couple of their ‘adult’ group getting arrested for disordery conduct and arguing with a police officer.

My experience with the soccer group has been terrible, being insulted with some parents of the soccer groups with racial remarks such as "you should get sent across the pacific" and "look at these weirdos, we’re better than them." I have heard them use the 'n' word towards some cosplayers.

Even passing by them on my way back to my hotel room, they pointed and snickered at me, I looked back and they were 'greeting' me with their middle fingers up towards me. Many, many other convention reports and stories from various attendees was very negative towards this group. Anyone with a convention badge was a target, and every costumer was heckled.

It was very surprising, and perhaps even rewarding in a way that none of the con attendees have not responded to their ignorance of the anime convention culture with violence, though I myself, was fairly close to breaking that point. I'm sure there are many others that were close to that breaking point. That was something that quite surprised me in a way, and shows further the refusal to even open their minds to learn and understand. [...]

----end----

In regards of the quotes from makotohanabi:

[...] one of them was prothelizing (spelling that right?) [...]

(It's spelled "proselytizing" :) ) ... fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on your point of view, said soccer proselytizer came to me. As some may know of me, I work for a church, and I'm pretty much quicksand for those that want to push me around religiously and going against me with issues attacking something I'm participating in is NOT a good idea. I remember something on how I believe in -- "Don't judge by appearances. Judge by what is right." (John 7:24) Teehee... that got that guy to shut up pretty fast. (I flashed that verse on my laptop sunday morning in the lobby with much glee.) Unfortunately, judgement from apperances, and NOT even bothering to learn, is what has happened with the soccer mom contingency. (Sorry for the religious plug :( I'll try to minimize that in the future.)

[...] Noticed that the person in charge of the panel was not taking notes when people complained about the soccer/hotel issue.[...]

That issue affected *everyone* in the convention PLUS more. There wouldn't be much need to write it down since everyone and their mom's were affected (literally :) ).

[...] Had fun walking around (until told by con security to go back to the room), but I won't go back next year. Been to many cons and I've never been treated like that.

If your room was on the fourth or fifth floors .... ehh... that's where most of the soccer people were. ... x.x; ick ... yeah, mebbe that shoulda been worked on.

In regards from quotes from ProfessorZoom:

[...] compared to oh, say Otakon where I was tossed around like a feather in the wind and the con itself didn't really do enough to get proper security [...]

Xaviiee didn't experience none of that... but then again, Otakon was my second con.

Fory-san
05-30-2004, 11:33 PM
It wasn't the con that was responsible for any of the soccer kids situation. They *couldn't* do anything to people that didn't wear a con badge. It was the motel and they did nothing from what I'm hearing.

yukitoLeonheart
05-30-2004, 11:36 PM
Yea, the Soccer thing was kind of discouraging.

I am upset just about other things about them.....I have such low tolerance for hate and it being passed to the next generation. So yea....

BTW, quality job Agents. You guys destroyed everything in cosplay, I am upset as heck I missed everything Inyasha

I have like a million pictures of your group alone..could you be any larger? Man it was so hard to get you all in a decent picture at once. Someone needs to claim the raws and do what they want with them, same with you GA.....I have like 7 photoshoot pictures from the poses that are amazing. Thanks to everyone for posing and giving me like a minute or 12. I have NEVER done a whole convention before, and I still had so many people I didn't get because of timing and changing.

Shoutouts to everyone, The Agents of what could of been called Agentcon, GA and his LULU who rocked and has such amazing costumes, The KH group, The Beserker Paine who I know is on here and was fantastic(you need to team up with Little Star and do photos, man that would be glorious), Seiya, the gorgeous Saeto whom did an awesome job judging and is a gem to this community (which is weird because I was thinking what you were going to do when they said Saeto Kiba and you were on stage) Then again, your work is just that outstanding, and thanks to everyone who just put up with millions of pictures.

Xavier
05-30-2004, 11:37 PM
It wasn't the con that was responsible for any of the soccer kids situation. They *couldn't* do anything to people that didn't wear a con badge. It was the motel and they did nothing from what I'm hearing.

That is unfortunately true, and I've forgotten to put that point in my ... somewhat long post. It was under the authority of the hotel and the police that was present, and not the convention. The hotel was "riding that thin line trying to satisify both sides" as I remember the quotation,

Remember, the cards are still on the convention's favor to keep going, the hotel and the police are in favor for Anime Mid-Atlantic. Heck, remembering another about how the managerial staff of the Holiday Inn is an otaku. (Yes, one of us!) Yeah, The Holiday Inn could lose all the soccer customers, big deal, there's more people that's gunna take those same rooms for the convention, not to mention using all the exhibit and ballroom space.

:rockon:

Fory-san
05-30-2004, 11:47 PM
Sooo...why blame the con staff again? :::shrugs::: It reminds me of people bitchin' about being assaulted at Otakon by homeless people and blaming the powers that be of the con for it! People, people, people...

Tsumanne
05-31-2004, 01:16 AM
Well if you saw a guy in a bright orange vest (see avatar left) and half dead to the world that would have been me. I was only there between 1000 -1200 on Sunday. Worked Friday and Saturday. Was going to come Saturday night, but I was sick and really tired. Not much had changed by Sunday morning (except for even more meds in my system), but I said screw it and went anyway. Thus why I was a wee bit of a zombie. I think the registration desk though I was drunk.

Sounds like things got interesting on Saturday night. If I had made it Saturday it sounds like I would have had to get out of my Patlabor uniform and put on my real one. I'm a military medic and double as military police. Can't do to much about harrasment, but I believe I read somewhere about soliciting to minnors. Oh I would have been all over that like a fly on s**t. The local cops and I would have had a little chat. And being sick and crappy would have put me in the perfect state of mind.

That being said I had my two hours of fun Sunday and picked up some new Mangas. Didn't see much cosplay other than myself. Most likely bad timing since every one was trying to beat the rush by checking out of thier rooms. I would deffinately like to goto another small con (Only been to Otakon & Katsucon). Someone from Cosplay.com actually recognized me by associating my costume with my avatar. Quite Cool. By noon I was feeling really bad so I left before it was to obvious.
hmmm long post

ladysubaru25
05-31-2004, 01:33 AM
Well if you saw a guy in a bright orange vest (see avatar left) and half dead to the world that would have been me. I was only there between 1000 -1200 on Sunday.

Hey, yeah I saw you in the dealers room Sun. morning! (spiky hair, glasses, pink "suck-bunny" shirt...) I recognized your costume from the boards. Not to mention, you were incredibly unique. I don't think I've ever seen any cosplayer do Patlabor. And you did a really good job on the costume too. Loved the shoes... :bigtu:

Yes- you must definitely come back to a small con like AMA next year. Hopefully, you'll feel better and can be there for a longer time...

Xavier
05-31-2004, 01:34 AM
[...]Sounds like things got interesting on Saturday night. If I had made it Saturday it sounds like I would have had to get out of my Patlabor uniform and put on my real one. I'm a military medic and double as military police. Can't do to much about harrasment, but I believe I read somewhere about soliciting to minnors. Oh I would have been all over that like a fly on s**t. The local cops and I would have had a little chat. And being sick and crappy would have put me in the perfect state of mind.[...]

At this rate ... with all the attendees being affected -.-;;; I would NOT be surprised if a class action lawsuit was brought up against the soccer organization (which by-the-way, is called FC Richmond) with the MANY MANY MANY problems that various attendees experienced from them.

Xavier
05-31-2004, 01:37 AM
On an unrelated note.... Who was there when we played poker Friday Night?!

Heck, who played? ^^

Chibi Neko Nobi
05-31-2004, 01:42 AM
*flomps in* I got back a few hours ago. I was the first Rufus Shinra that was around. X3 The second one came later on. I had the shorter gold hair.
I didn't see the soccer thing but thats a good thing. :sulk: I woulda caused injuries...
Aah I lost some emails I collected! T-T If you gave me your email/IM name, please send it again through PM or whatnot.

NixKlouD
05-31-2004, 08:24 AM
*sigh* I was hoping that the soccer org was not FC. I played with them for about 6 years, back when they had morals (5 years ago) lol. It's a shame, but most of the athletic society has demoralized, and has stopped teaching good sportsmanship on and off the field. Whether they realize it or not, they're really lowering the standards for further generations.

An a happier note, I finally found NGE #3 (Manga) at the con! I've been looking for that for at least 6 months! Woot ^^ I hope yall had the luck I did :)
Take Care,
-Nix```

Xavier
05-31-2004, 10:12 AM
[...]An a happier note, I finally found NGE #3 (Manga) at the con! I've been looking for that for at least 6 months! Woot ^^ I hope yall had the luck I did

Well I didn't lose my $3 in the poker game ^_^!

OMFG... I just remembered I bought some manga and threw them in the car right away! lol *runs to car and checks* ... Onegai Teacher 1, 2. Ah! My Goddess! Devil in Miss Urd. Thanks for reminding me!

NekoZidane
05-31-2004, 10:39 AM
Back from the con, and BOY is my car tired. I drove down there overdue for an oil change and drove back with a funny noise coming from my timing belt.

Other than that though, I had a great time. Not even the soccer $&^#@s could ruin it.

hope to see you all back next year! But in the meantime, I'll be going to Otakon and later Nekocon.

Xavier
05-31-2004, 10:48 AM
Back from the con, and BOY is my car tired. I drove down there overdue for an oil change and drove back with a funny noise coming from my timing belt.[...]

Hehehehe... I also just remembered about someone's tip with my car. I took a con attendee to Ruby Tuesday and I was told my brake lines had bubbles and told me a tip to pump my breaks when parked so it'd clear out the bubbles. IT WORKED! YAY!!! :crylaugh:

Odysseanpromise
05-31-2004, 11:01 AM
I enjoy how the focus of this con seemed to be all of the soccer midgets. They all looked the same... and were all the same height. Rather creepy if you ask me. It was pretty fun, but I think too many of the panels were on Friday, I meant here was really nothing to do after Saturday morning it seemed.

Xavier
05-31-2004, 11:05 AM
[...] I think too many of the panels were on Friday, I meant here was really nothing to do after Saturday morning it seemed.

Hmmn.. *Looks into the schedule* .... I don't know.. but they shoulda done the anime improv before the cosplay in main events. We coulda got more people! That was great!

*Bends down as the oven* :crylaugh: (If you don't get it, you dont!)

ainslye
05-31-2004, 11:28 AM
Hmmn.. *Looks into the schedule* .... I don't know.. but they shoulda done the anime improv before the cosplay in main events. We coulda got more people! That was great!

*Bends down as the oven* :crylaugh: (If you don't get it, you dont!)

omg, we went to anime improv last year because we couldn't get into the cosplay (it was full, they weren't taking in any more people to watch)... it was hysterical. Loved it, loved it.

This year, we did a lil skit, so we had to miss it. Figures the two things I was looking forward to the most were going on at the same time.

NixKlouD
05-31-2004, 11:52 AM
Well, thinking of the cosplay, it was definitely worth the 2 hour wait outside :p (2nd row for spectators- woo!) I loved it ^^ I feel bad for my buddies who decided they would rather miss it. It was great to see so many cool costumes both in and out of the competition! My weapon never ended up working out, but it was fun to try. I thoroughly enjoyed my first con though and am looking forward to next year's ( hopefully all-expenses paid as a graduation present, heehee ^^ ). Welp, I'm off.
Take Care,
-Nix```

visulstimultion
05-31-2004, 01:02 PM
Well i'm home, and alive, and in one piece... sort of. Wow what a fun con!! XD.. other than the soccer bitches.. but it was funny... even though the soccer mom's gave us all wierd nasty looks, when i was dressed as sora.... maybe 5 or 6 of the parents took pictures of us with thier kids. Kinda funny. I had like.. 20 or so soccer kids tell me my costume was cool o.o..... who woulda thought. oh well.... i didn't get to take many pictures so i'm looking forward to other people's pictures when they're up. oddly enough, my poor broken keyblade somehow survived the trip home in the trunk of my friends car. go figure. well i shall have a better new and improved keyblade at AnimeNEXT... hope everyone got home safely and had a great time!!

dizzylizzy
05-31-2004, 01:28 PM
now that i've slept for hours upon hours, i can make a real entry. ^^

i had a fabulous time at the con. i'm saddened by the snickering and such, but i guess i'm also used to it because i cosplay. i never expect everyone to understand. it's terrible that the parents were encouraging too. but, you KNOW that those kids watch pokemon and yu gi oh!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!! ::evil laugh:: suckas!!!!!!!!!!

i guess now that i'm 26 (well, next week) i've stopped really worrying about what other think and say and basically say "screw you" and walk away. it's a shame really that theya re so uptight and afraid to live a fun life. sure sports are fun, don't get me wrong, but i mean expressing yourself through art (costumes) and such... hanging with people because of an artform, anime. most people believe anime is either kids shows or porn. they don't relaly know the vast amounts of stories. wait... you KNOW some of those adult MUST have seen kill bill. ::evil laugh:: SUCKAS!!!!!!!!!! you're souls are mine!

anyhow!!!!!

i'd like to thank yukitoleonhart for the shots he got of the Agents' FB group and our other costumes. ^^

sorry for missing the c.com photoshoot. there's nothing i could do (plus the agents). the rehearsal for the masq ran over and we couldn't leave. :(

saeto~ you did an AWESOME job at judging. the questions were wonderful. you covered everything there was to cover. sorry about the huge fruits basket group. ^^ we thank you very much for your time. Thank you!!!

parapara was SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!! ::Grins:: now i at least know one song to do during the parapara game. lol

art show. it's too bad that there wasn't more bidding. ^^ check out the art show people and bid!!!!! lol don't be afraid.

dance= awesome. andy still rulz, along with the rest of the crew up there, including visuals.

amvs- it is such a shame that on friday nite 2 of the videos froze. >> i had 2 of my videos in there also and i know that if it had happened to mine i would have dropped my jaw and proceeded to cry and run out. there's nothing more upsetting than to see your hours upon hours of work stopped midway. my heart goes out to the amvs makers. also, "freeze frame" was disqualified. >> now, i LOVED the video. lol nothingl ike skirt shots and boobs to wake me up. it was REALLY well put together. but, it wasn't pg 13, so they had to take it out. :( which.... yeah... it'll throw the votes, plus the frozen vids.... le sigh.

friends were great. new friends were also great.

it was euphoria at the masq. the agents never expected to win anything at all. ::blushes:: i hope the short lil FB skit wasn't too boring. i was sooooo freaking out back stage before we went on. nothing like stage fright. lol ::Falls over::

woooooooo jessica costume!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!! ::Freaks out::

thank you guys for such a wonderful time. it was a pleasure going to a con with such fun people. (just remember to throw your trash away! >>)

uberpony
05-31-2004, 01:44 PM
I just felt like giving a big thumbs up to the Moogle Messenger girl, you were by far the most adorable cosplayer there!

MonoyashaJLA
05-31-2004, 04:43 PM
I had a wonderful time, but most was spent sewing Kirara back together for the hall costume judging Friday, if it wasn't for all my friends helping espcially....KATHY (hyper) I would have never finished it.
I'm still exausted from the 4 hrs drive, but it was well worth the effort.

The inuyasha group was awsome!! I soo wanted to walk aroun on all fours in Kirara longer friday....but staying up till 4am and working all morning on it wore me out :P

Sorry u didnt get our pictures of the IY group yukitoleonhart :(

I was as nervous as all Hell for the skit...Im usually very frightfull of the stage, and for me to acually go up as the second skit (fruits basket) and run up stage as Kyo...I froz the first couple of practices o >_< o

Winning a prize for the walkon/skit completely shocked me....the hole time jamie(yuki) *koff* was clinging to me hand. I felt so emberassed to walk up stage soooo many times, but hopefully I can get over this in time.

I'm only a little dissapointed that my entire Saturaday was used running back and forth from judgeing to the room to rest and touch up makeup, cloths, food, and sleep....I would have cryed if it was all for nothing.

for ONLY the second time....I decided to join my friends at the RAVE....ANDY!!! AWSOME JOB!! It was kick a$$
^-^

Nikol
05-31-2004, 04:51 PM
For this being my first AMA I had a great time, aside from being sick for just about the whole con. I didn't have any problems with any of the soccer moms, but did find it a little strange for them to come up when I was with the Kingdom Hearts group (I was the Riku) and ask for picture with their kids, and that one soccer girl who was like 14ish I guess. I kind of forgot how nice these smaller cons were compaired to the larger ones like Otakon. I'm glad to see that every one has gotten home okay!

ladysubaru25
05-31-2004, 05:32 PM
I didn't have any problems with any of the soccer moms, but did find it a little strange for them to come up when I was with the Kingdom Hearts group (I was the Riku) and ask for picture with their kids...

Nikol, were you the Riku with the group on Saturday? I believe my friend and I were shooting the bull w/ you guys in front of the lobby steps (leading to the 2nd floor) on Sat. evening. You told me that your friend's keyblade broke. And both my friend and I loved the fact that you had a Cid...

And Lizzy- were you staffing a table in the dealers room? I remember talking to someone in the dealers room about turning 26 (I'll be 26 in a few months myself.) I was wearing blue hair and carrying a big axe. Pretty hard to miss.

I am still shocked that I was the only Subaru there. That never happens. Thought I'd see more .hack cosplay since the Decipher people were there with the .hack//ENEMY games. Ah well. The Decipher dude too my picture my the gaming table and it was funny when people would run up to me in the dealers room and ask to take my picture with one of those .hack figurine things. I must have had five pictures taken with the little Subaru... LMAO!!

And GiantAlucard, if you get a chance to read this, you're costume was awesome (contacts!!), you are wicked nice, and it was so cool running into you! Too bad I only got to see Alucard and not Auron... :thumbsup:

Once again, another wonderful AMA, and I'll most definitely be back next year.

(Oh yeah. And the room parties rocked. :bigtu: )

dizzylizzy
05-31-2004, 06:27 PM
And Lizzy- were you staffing a table in the dealers room? I remember talking to someone in the dealers room about turning 26 (I'll be 26 in a few months myself.) I was wearing blue hair and carrying a big axe. Pretty hard to miss.

nope, wasn't me... but knowing there's someone else turning 26 also makes me feel not so old. lol we shall stick together. ^^

ladysubaru25
05-31-2004, 06:40 PM
nope, wasn't me... but knowing there's someone else turning 26 also makes me feel not so old. lol we shall stick together. ^^

Ah, yes- the "biologically advanced" cosplayers like ourselves must stick together! I'll look for ya at Otakon.

Always makes me feel good to know that there are folks my age still going to cons. I wind up feeling REALLY old when I get home from a con. And having all of the little soccer kids around as well didn't help me with my aging complex... (being as though I am *technically* old enough to be some of those kids' moms and instead I'm running around at a con. Geez, I love my life!! :bigtu: )

I was thinking it would be cool to start a "cosplay.com SENIORS FORUM" for old fogeys like ourselves. :rofl:

NixKlouD
05-31-2004, 08:12 PM
Haha, well, I think it's awesome to see older cosplayers/ anime fans ^^ It kinda proves the point that anime isn't only for kids (which seems to be a common misunderstanding by the unexposed public, lol) :bigtu:

Nikol
05-31-2004, 08:20 PM
Nikol, were you the Riku with the group on Saturday? I believe my friend and I were shooting the bull w/ you guys in front of the lobby steps (leading to the 2nd floor) on Sat. evening. You told me that your friend's keyblade broke. And both my friend and I loved the fact that you had a Cid...

Yep that was me! The keyblade made it back to NJ in "one piece" but needs to be re-made none the less. And I'm glad you like our Cid, he was rather pleased with how that came out but the plan is that for Otakon Cid will be Ansem hopefully. I really liked your Subaru costume too. I wanted to tell you that but it kinda sliped my mind

visulstimultion
05-31-2004, 09:02 PM
T.T my poor keyblade!!!!!!!! *hugs it and cries*

dolst
05-31-2004, 10:55 PM
Previously, on 24:

--nope, wasn't me... but knowing there's someone else turning 26 also makes me feel not so old. lol we shall stick together. ^^
--Ah, yes- the "biologically advanced" cosplayers like ourselves must stick together! I'll look for ya at Otakon.

Hey, don't feel too bad, y'all. I turned 27 back in January! And this is only my 3rd con ever. (First and 2nd were both AMA). Of course, this year was only my and my gf's 2nd cosplay ever.
Just goes to show you're never too old to be an aspiring American otaku. Surf Wisely!

http://www.dolst.com

dExtrosien
05-31-2004, 11:15 PM
Hey, don't feel too bad, y'all. I turned 27 back in January! And this is only my 3rd con ever. (First and 2nd were both AMA). Of course, this year was only my and my gf's 2nd cosplay ever.
Just goes to show you're never too old to be an aspiring American otaku. Surf Wisely!http://www.dolst.com

That's true. It seems to me many of the people at AMA are not at all what most "normal" people imagine. That's a good thing. You get a wide variety of ages and backgrounds and such, which makes it all the more fun.
I loved AMA4, just wish I had seen more than a short time Friday night and Saturday. It was still worth it though. :bigtu:

keep the faith,
dEx
dolst's gf

streetz8921
05-31-2004, 11:46 PM
i went....it was....alright

Mizuno Tenshi
06-01-2004, 03:15 AM
AMA was great!

I had gone to Animazement last year, and it was sort of sucky. But this year was truly awesome. I got a ton of compliments on wearing a skirt. ^__^ I even signed two girls' pants! hehe... Not to mention the cute girl who said she I was hot. Good thing my girlfriend didn't mind.
No major probs with the soccer people, I didn't waste too much money in the dealer's room...
Oh. Two parts that were suckage.
a) I was SOL on hotel room. I didn't sleep in the lobby, though. I crashed in my car... *sweatdrop* At least the two girls in my group got a room, but the room owner didn't want a guy in there. It was all good, though. Sleeping in a car isn't that bad, actually...
b) Well, situation with an old friend of mine. First he avoided us, then sent a lacky to tell us to leave him alone. He's been avoiding us for months now... I keep trying to talk to him, but it hasn't been working. The g/f has given up, and my friends think he's an a-hole, but I know he's not like that... at least, I think he isn't.

*Shrugs*

Highlights:
The panels were great. W007 for Guest Uncensored! The Eva and Live Action panels were good, too.
I knew so many people there!
Downside... the dealer's room was kinda small... but that DID keep me from spending too much money. And $10 wallscrolls... I was happy.

I'm trying to get together some better costumes for future cons, and got a lot of ideas now... yay!

Tenshi

ladysubaru25
06-01-2004, 03:21 AM
I loved AMA4, just wish I had seen more than a short time Friday night and Saturday. It was still worth it though. :bigtu:

dEx!! I totally missed you and your bf this year. Still got the Lupin/Jigen pic of you two from last AMA in my gallery...

Sorry to have heard about the car trouble, and glad you managed to get to the con at least for a little bit.

The panels were great. W007 for Guest Uncensored!

Oh my g_d, that was off the hook! I got pictures from that... needless to say, none of them will be posted in my gallery. :eeek: (Neither will the pictures of the party we had with the guests AFTER the panel! LMAO!!)

BondageFlute
06-01-2004, 11:32 AM
*flomps in* I got back a few hours ago. I was the first Rufus Shinra that was around. X3 The second one came later on. I had the shorter gold hair.
I didn't see the soccer thing but thats a good thing. :sulk: I woulda caused injuries...
Aah I lost some emails I collected! T-T If you gave me your email/IM name, please send it again through PM or whatnot.

Hey it's you! My sister was the Hojo with your Rufus, we walked and such.. I was Hisoka on Saturday..

^^ Yea, but anyway, you were fun! I'm sure my sister if not myself would like to keep contact with you. So I'll PM you later. Hope ya had lotsa fun!

Heather
06-01-2004, 12:46 PM
AMA was awesome~ except for the whole soccer thing, of course. >_<

But other than that, I really like the close, tight-knit feeling of the con. :D I finally found issue #7 of the Battle Royale manga, so I was a happy camper.

And it was funny to see my friend get many comments on his fcuk shirt. LOL~

I couldn't find my tie the morning we left, so I couldn't bring my Mitsuko (BR) costume. I was a bit ticked off later too when I realized I could've brought my Dr. Cube (Kaiju Big Battel) costume. But I had a lot of fun even though I couldn't run around in costume. :D

(And I forgot my camera too. So I couldn't take any pictures. >_<)

But besides all that I had a great time, all the costumes I saw were awesome! I was happy to see the con-goers banding together against the soccer-spawn, also! Thanks for making AMA great everyone! ;)

Flute
06-01-2004, 12:55 PM
Con was great... well the people were great. The only actual con event I went to other then the dealer's room was the Anime Improv.

*Bends down as the oven* :crylaugh:

lol, that was so great! I have it on video.