PDA

View Full Version : Anime Detour

Pages : [1] 2 3

Vegetto's Girl
05-30-2004, 01:01 PM
Who went to Anime Detour, I might have seen you there

SongofAmazon
05-30-2004, 06:04 PM
There was another thread up a while back, but it disappeared. ^_^'' I was there as Sailor Autumn on friday, then Wakaba from Utena on Saturday morning and Myu Sailor Mercury in the afternoon (I was in that cosplay skit with the wrong music ^_^'')

Who did you go as?

Serria
05-30-2004, 08:39 PM
Yeah, there was another thread. =P

I was an Aeris. I know there was two, check out my photo gallery to see what one I was. I could only make it Saturday, sadly, though.

Singe
05-30-2004, 09:01 PM
I was running around as Kakyo from the X manga on Friday, and Jing from King of Bandit Jing on Saturday. If you saw a group that was trying to sell misc. stuff at a table across from the room the Saturday night dance was I in, chances are it was me and some of my friends. (Thanks if you bought anything! ^.^) If you're looking for pictures, I should have mine up soon, though I can't say if it'll help any.

Hunter Gren
05-30-2004, 11:48 PM
I was there,

Dressed as Tony Tony Chopper from One Piece, you probably saw me I had the big red hat with the white X on it.

Gothic_Catboy
05-31-2004, 10:00 AM
I was the gothic catboy and Charlotte on Friday and Saturday respectively.

PockyBunny
05-31-2004, 10:28 AM
Yay, new thread!!!!

I was Gunner Yuna on Saturday. If you want to know what I look like, go ahead and check out muh gallery (the link is in muh siggy)

Vegetto's Girl
05-31-2004, 11:19 AM
Yay, new thread!!!!

I was Gunner Yuna on Saturday. If you want to know what I look like, go ahead and check out muh gallery (the link is in muh siggy)
I Saw most of you there. I was wondering for those that saw the masequere, how did the person that did kaoru kamiya do? I think those who did the Myu Sailors did really good. Also so did the FFs. :rolleyes: :bigtu: I also just made a album for those who went to AD, so please post any pics in there.

Hyperion
05-31-2004, 11:47 AM
I went as Kingdom Hearts 2 Sora. It was pretty popular even if half of it was inaccurate. I broke my keyblade last night when I stabbed my friend with it...oops. I am making a new one anyways...so it's all good. I have pictures in my gallery, and there are a few posted on fansview.

So...

Vegetto's Girl
05-31-2004, 11:52 AM
I went as Kingdom Hearts 2 Sora. It was pretty popular even if half of it was inaccurate. I broke my keyblade last night when I stabbed my friend with it...oops. I am making a new one anyways...so it's all good. I have pictures in my gallery, and there are a few posted on fansview.

So...
Everyone Loved your costume, Didn't you win a award or two?

Hyperion
05-31-2004, 12:22 PM
Hall cosplay, best worksmanship, and best young fan (which I was far to old to win, ansems dad signed me up with his daughter and I never got to say which group I was in)

lol, it was all in good fun though

Vegetto's Girl
05-31-2004, 12:26 PM
Hall cosplay, best worksmanship, and best young fan (which I was far to old to win, ansems dad signed me up with his daughter and I never got to say which group I was in)

lol, it was all in good fun though
How old are you? If AD had been the weekend before the date it really was, then i would have had to go in the group.

Hyperion
05-31-2004, 12:32 PM
16... the cutoff age for young fan is what? 12? LoL

My friends wouldn't stop laughing about it when we found out.

Vegetto's Girl
05-31-2004, 02:56 PM
16... the cutoff age for young fan is what? 12? LoL

My friends wouldn't stop laughing about it when we found out.
Oh my gosh i was right i was mainly the youngest cosplayer in the masequer(wrong spelling). Five days(exactly) before Anime Detour I turned 13 :untrust:

SongofAmazon
05-31-2004, 08:39 PM
I think those who did the Myu Sailors did really good.

*blush* Even though we did screw up? ^_^'' Thanks though! My costume wasn't quite finished yet... I still need to fix it too. But I can't wait for next year! Puu and I are going to do the same song again (hopefully right this time) and maybe add a few more senshi. ^^

hanazuke
05-31-2004, 09:28 PM
I was there, on Friday as Songstress Rikku, Saturday morning as Theif Rikku, saturday afternoon as Eiji from Prince of Tennis (we were playing paper ball tennis outside the dealers room for a while ^__^) Songstress for the masquerade and Eiji again on Sunday
*whipes brow*
Need to cut down on my costumes in the future, doing my Rikku hair 3 times in one con was PAIN

Vegetto's Girl
06-01-2004, 06:29 AM
I was there, on Friday as Songstress Rikku, Saturday morning as Theif Rikku, saturday afternoon as Eiji from Prince of Tennis (we were playing paper ball tennis outside the dealers room for a while ^__^) Songstress for the masquerade and Eiji again on Sunday
*whipes brow*
Need to cut down on my costumes in the future, doing my Rikku hair 3 times in one con was PAIN

I know i saw you there. YOur skit was one of the best.

hanazuke
06-01-2004, 03:56 PM
I know i saw you there. YOur skit was one of the best.
*blushes politely*

Thanks. Though some how in every skit planning phase the general theme becomes "Let's kill Hana-chan's dignity!"
This time of coarse was no exception.
But I'm glad my dignity was now lost in vain ^__^

Vegetto's Girl
06-01-2004, 04:13 PM
*blushes politely*

Thanks. Though some how in every skit planning phase the general theme becomes "Let's kill Hana-chan's dignity!"
This time of coarse was no exception.
But I'm glad my dignity was now lost in vain ^__^
What are you planning to wear at Anime Detour next year?

Serria
06-01-2004, 04:23 PM
Hanazuke, your skit really was great. ^__^ Though I liked all of the skits. Though the horrible cold-ness in that room got to me after awhile. Oh well, better cold than hot and sweaty. :P

I'm hoping to make a KH Aerith sometime, so maybe I'll be wearing that next year.

hanazuke
06-01-2004, 04:54 PM
What are you planning to wear at Anime Detour next year?

Not sure yet ^_^ I probably will bring my Edward (from FMA) And I might be done with my Berserker Rikku by then so That could be in the cards too

Hanazuke, your skit really was great. ^__^ Though I liked all of the skits. Though the horrible cold-ness in that room got to me after awhile. Oh well, better cold than hot and sweaty. :P

*feels loved* I spent about 3 minutes in the room after my skit, then I went back to the green room to vent my nervousness (and subsiquently got pizza sauce all over my gloves ^__^ )

Vegetto's Girl
06-01-2004, 05:04 PM
Not sure yet ^_^ I probably will bring my Edward (from FMA) And I might be done with my Berserker Rikku by then so That could be in the cards too

*feels loved* I spent about 3 minutes in the room after my skit, then I went back to the green room to vent my nervousness (and subsiquently got pizza sauce all over my gloves ^__^ )
gosh. did you get any pics from Anime Detour

Serria
06-01-2004, 05:07 PM
I'm sure that you love being complimented NOW, several months after the con, heehee!! ^__^ But yeah, the skit was great and you were adorable. The pizza sauce was uncalled for! :D

PockyBunny
06-01-2004, 05:32 PM
^ XD hahaha

I know I'm going next year. Fur sure. I don't know which costumes I'll have planned, but I'll be there for all 3 days this time, and I'll prolly have 3 costumes instead of 1.

hanazuke
06-01-2004, 05:46 PM
gosh. did you get any pics from Anime Detour

Yeah, I think I got about *stops and counts on fingers* 5 rolls, I'll try to scan and get them up in my gallery as soon as I can (not tonight though, I've got a vocal recital ^__^)

I'm sure that you love being complimented NOW, several months after the con, heehee!! ^__^ But yeah, the skit was great and you were adorable. The pizza sauce was uncalled for!

Whay can I say? I like being praised... is that so wrong?
And even Rikku's gotta eat, and if Kurama brings Rikku pizza she's eating pizza(plus those gloves were HELL to get on and off)

^ XD hahaha

I know I'm going next year. Fur sure. I don't know which costumes I'll have planned, but I'll be there for all 3 days this time, and I'll prolly have 3 costumes instead of 1.

I can't wait to see what you'll have, your yuna was great, and I know you'll have great stuff next year too ^__^

Serria
06-01-2004, 07:17 PM
Five rolls?! I only got one. Well, I was only there for one day. Next year I'd like to stay in the hotel and for all three days. I felt really guilty, because they seemed to really encourage everyone to get a room. But I didn't have the money so I stayed with a relative.

Do you know if they're expecting Anime Detour to be bigger next year?

hanazuke
06-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Five rolls?! I only got one. Well, I was only there for one day. Next year I'd like to stay in the hotel and for all three days. I felt really guilty, because they seemed to really encourage everyone to get a room. But I didn't have the money so I stayed with a relative.

Do you know if they're expecting Anime Detour to be bigger next year?

Yeah... I'm a bit shutter happy, I'll photograph anything and anyone I find cool.
I hope you're able to be there all 3 days next year!
Don't know if it'll be bigger next year, frankly I liked it small, I felt I got to know everyone there so much better because of that, there wasn't the "eliteism" i sometimes feel at bigger cons, it was felt so friendly and inclusive.

CapsuleCorp
06-01-2004, 09:42 PM
Yeah, it was a lot of fun, I met some really cool people (like hanazuke and Kurama-chan!). I was Mystic Gohan on Friday, Hiei on Saturday, and Yami Yugi for a bit on Sunday. Which reminds me, I still have to get the video from my friend of Gohan and Vegito "powering up" in the hallway...

:D

I should also think about putting my pics somewhere online one of these days...

SongofAmazon
06-01-2004, 10:23 PM
My camera died, sadly... so I have very few pictures of my own.

I really wanted to get that picture of you CapsuleCorp and your friend "powering up" but the camera died. *weeps* Ah well. There shall be future cons. ^^

hanazuke
06-01-2004, 10:26 PM
My camera died, sadly... so I have very few pictures of my own.

I really wanted to get that picture of you CapsuleCorp and your friend "powering up" but the camera died. *weeps* Ah well. There shall be future cons. ^^
aww.. *pats*
Once I get off my lazy bum and actually scan, I promise I'll share my pics with you ^__^

PockyBunny
06-02-2004, 09:38 AM
^ Yay!!!! Me= must have more AD pics. <333333333333333

CapsuleCorp
06-02-2004, 10:54 PM
I'll see what I can get from my friends, too. I haven't seen theirs yet, just mine. Which I just remembered are actually online, I think in my yahoo photos. http://photos.yahoo.com/staceylee25 - the Anime Detour folder should be the first one. DUH me.

hanazuke
06-03-2004, 07:47 AM
Ok I've got some up, ones of me can be found in the main part of my gallery
and I've started to put some up in the Anime detour folder, though it might be a while untill they're all up, I can't find some of my pictues (curses messy house)
here's the link to my gallery:
http://images.cosplay.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=17555

leave comments if ya love me ^__^.

Serria
06-03-2004, 11:14 AM
I'm having trouble loading most of mine, and they didn't turn out really well anyhow... but I do have one of me and the other Aeris there. ^_^ I also took one with the Sephiroth and Squall, and a Tifa and Yuffie but yeah, those are the ones I can't get loaded.

CapsuleCorp
06-03-2004, 09:39 PM
HAAA! The Shonen Jump picture, I'd forgotten we posed for that! Gahh but I don't look good in orange...

Oh great, and me being dragged around in handcuffs. I knew I'd regret that... ;)

Monkey Hunter X
06-04-2004, 10:34 AM
HAAA! The Shonen Jump picture, I'd forgotten we posed for that! Gahh but I don't look good in orange...

Oh great, and me being dragged around in handcuffs. I knew I'd regret that... ;)

Hey, I was in that Shonen Jump picture as well. I was the Monkey D. Luffy on the end. Hah! Ah, good times, good times. Pity we didn't have a Shamen King.

Serria
06-04-2004, 11:10 AM
Aah! I want Anime Detour to happen again. NOW!

I found a few of my AD pictures, too, and am loading them now. ^__^

Gothic_Catboy
06-04-2004, 11:01 PM
They're planning for a much larger hotel... problems with the last one and we won't be back there.

Serria
06-05-2004, 10:40 AM
They had problems with the last one? D'you know what kind of problems? And does larger hotel mean larger con...?

Vegetto's Girl
06-05-2004, 07:57 PM
They had problems with the last one? D'you know what kind of problems? And does larger hotel mean larger con...?
The problems were there was mainlly to many people. They had only expected 500, but then got about 1500-2000.

Monkey Hunter X
06-05-2004, 09:38 PM

It's been my experience that larger anything means larger anything, so I'm going to say yes. :rockon:

Here's the equation:

Larger anything = Larger anything.

I'm glad I could be of assistance.

Gothic_Catboy
06-06-2004, 02:48 AM
Well, I'm not one who gives information out on a whim... but I will say that the problems had to do with the hotel staff and a few regulations as well as poor communication between the hotel and the AD staff...

The larger hotel will mean more space to mill about, as everything was quite disorderly at the AD '04.

Singe
06-06-2004, 06:33 PM
Well, I don't really know anything as far as the staff or whatnot is concerned, but as a convention goer, the lay-out of the hotel wasn't the best suited for an anime con. For example, the number and size of meeting rooms availible for anime showings/panels/art show/dealer's room seemed to really limit the number of people that were able to comfortably attend/visit the events. But knowing that the con was expected to be small its first year, you can't really complain too much.

Serria
06-06-2004, 07:13 PM
Thank you, Monkey Hunter. That equation was very helpful to me. :)

Then larger hotel means larger dealer's room?? And art room? Art room was rather small and dealer's room as a bit cramped.

SongofAmazon
06-10-2004, 08:12 PM
*squee* I'm so excited for next year! Bigger and better. I hope the new hotel doesn't take them too far away from the twin cities.

I really hope the new one has a courtyard too. That was so very nice when I got too hot. ^^

D!G!TALP!KA
06-11-2004, 05:59 PM
I was the Pikachu at the con.....LoL hoo boi.....anyone remember me??? heh.....

Vegetto's Girl
06-11-2004, 10:17 PM
I was the Pikachu at the con.....LoL hoo boi.....anyone remember me??? heh.....
I remember you

SongofAmazon
06-11-2004, 11:53 PM
yup! I remember you. ^^ I got twapped by your tail once in a crowded hallway. ^_^ Twas a very nice costume.

Hyperion
06-13-2004, 12:08 PM
Pikachu? I don't remember any Pikachu!... No no I kid I kid. You know that....well you should.... LoL... Long story, well not really. Now I'm just rambling...AIEE

::!Chases heartless into forest!::

D!G!TALP!KA
06-14-2004, 04:56 PM
LoL silly Sora......you don't love your Pikachu anymore!!! *cries*...psh well you aren't the true keyblade master... why?...CUZ YOU BROKE IT!!! AHAHAHA!!!.......sorry.....you are........my bad.........

Serria
06-14-2004, 07:56 PM
XD I remember Pikachu! I wanted to take your picture but I was nearly out of film. >_<;

Vegetto's Girl
06-14-2004, 08:08 PM
XD I remember Pikachu! I wanted to take your picture but I was nearly out of film. >_<;
I would have too, but I didn't have my camera.

treasure_chan
07-06-2004, 10:41 PM
I was there! I went as Milly Thompson. :D The con was great... got tons of pics!

Singe
07-07-2004, 06:57 PM
I didn't know you had an account, Treasure...I got my pics up including the one of the potato party...but not of our potatoes...I figured that would waste too much space since I have like 8 pictures of them plus the fork.^_^ Anyone else find the potato party vastily entertaining?

Singe

Gothic_Catboy
07-08-2004, 06:44 PM
Speaking of random events in rooms... How did everyone enjoy the Bemani room? I know it's way past the con, but does anyone have any complaints about the last one, or suggestions for the next AD? More DDR and less strange games? More strange games?

And I remember seeing you, Pika. I don't think many people could forget your costume.

Hyperion
07-08-2004, 08:32 PM
The Bemani Room was shibbibity!..It was fun to watch everyone play DDR... I would have fallen flat on my face had I even tried. Har Har...

No one shall forget teh Pika-Goddess....

okay I'll stop...har har

CapsuleCorp
07-08-2004, 10:12 PM
I liked the Bemani room a lot. I only played DDR, but it was neat to look at other games. And I was very glad that there was a surprising lack of line to play DDR - every time I wanted to play, I was able to play after a relatively short wait. That made me very happy. And me likey the metal pads. ;)

D!G!TALP!KA
07-11-2004, 02:03 PM
the Bemani room owned me..... i played Beatmania for i dunno how long.... a friend i had got me into it pretty deep and i ended up buying him a IIDX controller that he was never really grateful for.... *snarl* anyway..... i can only play 5 key really well....7 key = death.....pop'n music was a ton of fun too....too bad it costs so much to get all the accessories and such....

i remember you guys... i miss Detour... lets all go back!!! :jjacks:

treasure_chan
07-25-2004, 11:09 AM
XD Hehehe, potatos...

POTATOOOO!

Oh man, that was fun :3

Singe
07-29-2004, 07:01 PM
Changing subjects (yet again!), I was wondering what types or topics of/for panels you guys would like to see at next years' AD. I know there were multiple panels put on, but I was actually kinda surprised at how few seemed to be fan lead or sponsored....Okay, so I admit I'm too lazy to decide on the topic for one I want to host next year...so I'm doing cheap and easy research...^.^

Singe

treasure_chan
07-29-2004, 11:20 PM
Yaoi. :heart:
And another cosplay one, cos I missed the one last year o_O;
Aaaaand... something on model kits.
Yay!

CapsuleCorp
08-03-2004, 11:50 PM
I don't know, I'll have to think about that. i was whining the other day about a lack of decent panels at anime cons but now I have to put my money where my mouth is, so to speak.

Singe
08-23-2004, 07:57 PM
Any suggestions would be appreciated! ^.^

CapsuleCorp
08-23-2004, 09:00 PM
Well, I always poke my nose into costuming panels, but I've been to so many and RUN so many that I really don't need to go to them anymore. I already know everything that's been said. More specific panels, like a wig panel, or a makeup panel, or one geared toward crossplay or specially tailoring clothes to make your costumes look better...or one on props and making armor...

And yaoi panels are good but an hour of screaming fangirls shouting out their favorite pairings does not a panel make.

I'd actually sit in on a panel about the elements of Japanese culture that you see in anime or see anime fans pick up and pathetically try to use in America, so that the "newbie otaku" can understand things like Pocky, glomping, etc. Most of us pick it up by osmosis eventually but an actual panel to educate people about Japanese youth culture as explored in anime could be interesting.

DeadLegato
08-24-2004, 08:59 PM
Singe and others- you need to contact Frenchy Lunning if there are specific panels you would actually like to run. If you've got two people and an idea for a panel, just ask if you can have it, and you can probably get on the schedule if you're committed.

That said, EVERYONE WHO IS SURE THEY ARE COMING, GET OFF YOUR BUTTS AND PREREGISTER. *cough* Sorry, I just have to hear about the fact that you guys aren't doing so, and I won't have to if people start getting their preregs in. ^_^

CapsuleCorp
08-24-2004, 10:14 PM
I'll prereg when I don't have BILLS to pay. *sigh*

DeadLegato
08-25-2004, 12:43 AM
So, it stinks to be a responsible, mature adult, does it not?

Singe
08-25-2004, 07:17 PM
*sigh* God, I need to get a job...but I should send in my pre-reg soon, or at least as soon as I get paid for the Sanzo commission I'm finishing up...

As far as doing a panel about Japanese culture, I think that'd be a great thing to have, but I'm probably not the best person to run one, having not been to Japan and living in SD. ^_^ At last year's Anime Iowa, I attended a panel on "Good Vs. Evil in Anime", which was actually pretty fun. Would anyone be interested in a panel about the aspects of things found in anime itself? I know there's usually someone who runs a "Women in Anime" panel, but how about something odd, like...uh...*stares into space trying to think of something* er..."Americans in Anime" or something like that?

PorcelainSakura
08-25-2004, 07:47 PM
*looking at peoples AD pics*OH gawd, I hate seeing pics of me. My wig looked worse and worse as the day went on *yuck*
Anywhooo....I've seen other threads of kids wearing cosplay.com stickers or ribbons on their con badges, what do people think of doing that at '05?

Singe
08-25-2004, 10:26 PM
That'd be cool, it'd help to find people that you're trying to meet up with...

CapsuleCorp
08-26-2004, 09:47 PM
yeah, I'd be down with that, PorcelainSakura. :)

Americans in Anime, hmm? That does kind of sound interesting...considering most of the time it's a fairly negative portrayal, if the character is supposed to be from America. Not that I know enough anime to run any of those kinds of panels either! :) I'm the costumer, not the otaku.

PockyBunny
08-26-2004, 11:26 PM
PorcelianSakura- Yeah I'm goin on a cosplay diet so I can have a flat stomach for muh Yuna costume.

Keiichi-san
08-27-2004, 03:24 AM
What's this?! An anime convention in Minnesota? And in Bloomington, no less!?

Cripes! I wish I had known about this earlier. I live in St. Paul, only about 15-20 minutes away from Bloomington. Hell, I've been b*tching and moaning about the lack of conventions in the midwest, and here one was held almost in my backyard. And to think I flew all the way down to Baltimore for Otakon...

I'm definately going to try and attend next year. It shouldn't be a problem, what with it being so close.

-K1

Vegetto's Girl
08-27-2004, 12:24 PM
PorcelianSakura- Yeah I'm goin on a cosplay diet so I can have a flat stomach for muh Yuna costume.
what dressphere for yuna? I am going as Rikku and lenne

PorcelainSakura
08-27-2004, 01:54 PM
I'm gonna try to pull together my gambler one in time for detour....but the keywords are "try" and "in time" @_@

Vegetto's Girl
08-28-2004, 09:11 AM
I'm gonna try to pull together my gambler one in time for detour....but the keywords are "try" and "in time" @_@
if you make it i have to get your pic, same with any other ffx-2 cosplayers ^-^

DeadLegato
08-29-2004, 09:00 PM
Here are the other Anime Detour Threads: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=21129&highlight=detour
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=26066&highlight=detour

For all you MN cosplayers, two events coming up before Anime Detour, from your current AD Masq girl.
1) potential EGL/EGA picnic: http://forums.cosplay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68
2) U of M Manga and Anime Society Halloween Cosplay contest: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~anime (look for info in late September, early October)

For those of you who were at last year's AD and saw the Gothic Catboy (who posts on this thread under that name)... take a look at this: http://www.zephyr.dti.ne.jp/~runo/eng/epage036.htm
Is that him, or a bizarre coincidence? ^_^

Vegetto's Girl
08-30-2004, 10:06 AM
Hey does any cosplayers going to ad going to be a berserker Yuna, Rikku, or Paine???
sorry about posting this in the seeking cosplayer thing too.

Gothic_Catboy
08-30-2004, 03:49 PM
There's no collar and bell on that one... but I don't think I have the right quite yet to say I brought the gothic catboy into main stream media...

shadow_girl294
08-30-2004, 05:24 PM
hello^^ um i was at AD2K4 but i wasnt in costume. i dont even remember what day i went :thumbsup: i do remember a girl named sarah and she was carried off the stage of something^^

whos around the age of 14/15/16 at the time of AD2K5? dont have to answer
or you can PM me :chatah:

shadow_girl294
09-22-2004, 08:32 PM
???? where is everyone? *hears crickets*.....

Keiichi-san
09-23-2004, 03:58 AM
Hello? Is anyone there?

*looks around*

Oh well, at least I have my anime...

*glasses fall and shatter*

No! It's not fair! There was time now. It's not fair!

-K1

Jen-neko
09-23-2004, 12:38 PM
I'll be going to AD 2005 (and will be dragging a friend or two along :3).

So, yeah. I'm already planning what to wear =^^= Hehe.

Singe
09-23-2004, 07:19 PM
Well, I've been pretty busy with school, but I have managed to work in some time to start the armor for my Umi costume. If I'm lucky, I'll have it all done by Halloween so I can have a costume then and still have time to rework/make the pieces that need it. I'll probably post a pic or two later tonight of what I've done so far as far as the shoulder armor goes. Feel free to give me ideas/hints/whatever when I post 'em! ^.^

...On a side note, I'm still looking for panel ideas..anyways...

Singe

Hyperion
09-26-2004, 12:00 AM
I think I've finally got my costumes planned:

Zidane from Final Fantasy 9 (I mean how many other Zidanes do you know?)
And...
Duel Keyblade Weilder Unknown from Kingdom Hearts/Kingdom Hearts 2

I am not sure about this but I might also do Halloween Town Sora. Gotta love those wings!

Gootentaug... CHICKEN!

shadow_girl294
09-27-2004, 04:44 PM
if anyone goes in costume for halloween and lives near north mpls hope to see you^^ on my street theres no action becuase its a busy street.. damn you Penn ave...!

Jen-neko
09-28-2004, 12:52 AM
Okay, I've decided that one character I'm gonna do is gonna be Kagome (from Inu-Yasha) :3 So, if there're gonna be any Inu-Yashas (or other IY characters) that plan on attending AD 2005, do let me know =^^=

PockyBunny
09-29-2004, 06:06 PM
I'm making a Santa Aya (Psycho Le Cemu) costume for Christmas so I might bring it to AD2K5.

SongofAmazon
09-29-2004, 10:17 PM
Plans are subject to change... but I'm hoping to get a purple Utena duelist done, original concept Sailor Mercury, and my original character Sailor Mahou-Henshin done for AD. We'll see what happens with that. ^^''

Binny_V
10-02-2004, 03:11 PM
How was it last year? I hear it's gonna be twice the size of Ai-con (which i was at). I will hopefully be in a Sanji (from One Piece) costume, and by that time, a Nabeshin (from excel saga). Hopefully, If i get a Seigaku shirt, I can play a good Tezuka or Iuni! (from PoT)

SongofAmazon
10-03-2004, 04:02 PM
I thought it was great last year. As my first con, I had little to compare it to, but it was nice and small and everyone seemed friendly. Though this year... I'm definately getting a hotel room.

Binny_V
10-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Yeah, I heard the reason for it being small was because not a whole lot of people heard about it. If I knew last year, I would have gone!

Jen-neko
10-03-2004, 07:42 PM
EDIT: Post was off-topic, so I deleted it :P

CapsuleCorp
10-03-2004, 09:53 PM
It wasn't all that "small." Small to me is 500 people or less. AD had 1000-1200, which is exceptional for a first-year con with not a lot of promotion outside of word of mouth. If it even gets 50% more attendees this time, it'll be a just-right size. Not too big, still intimate enough that you can be sure you won't miss a single cosplayer. And not too long of lines at the DDR. ;)

I just wish their room parties they're holding at other cons to promote it were more interesting. Sitting around in the dark watching anime is not a room party.

Gothic_Catboy
10-04-2004, 01:03 AM
Well, the DDR thing still needs to be talked over with the con directors... having such a good response from the last AD, we'd like to put in more DDR pads and more stations to play many Bemani games... the only thing that limited us was space. Because we're switching to the different hotel, things may change, but we'll see.

PockyBunny
10-04-2004, 04:36 PM
So, you guys think there'll be 50% more people, which would be 1500+ people?
I dunno how big the hotel is this year either.

PorcelainSakura
10-04-2004, 05:35 PM
I was just at the hotel for a different con today and wasn't to impressed.
First off there's the decor, there's a reason its nicknamed the dead animal hotel. Plus the lighting, the entire hotel seemed to be set on "mood lighting". I didn't like the set up the place either, but then again I'm horribly spoiled by Convergence at the Radisson/now Sheraton.

CapsuleCorp
10-04-2004, 09:56 PM
yeah. CONvergence spoils us so badly. I love it. :D

dead animal hotel? egads...

anyway. Good to hear it, Gothic Catboy. One of the highlights of AD for me was being able to get in to play DDR in costume with my friends several times over the weekend. Not at all like bigger cons with loooooong lines of manic DDR-hogs failing everything on Heavy and thinking they're all that and a bag of chips...

PorcelainSakura
10-04-2004, 10:24 PM
yeah. CONvergence spoils us so badly. I love it. :D

dead animal hotel? egads...

anyway. Good to hear it, Gothic Catboy. One of the highlights of AD for me was being able to get in to play DDR in costume with my friends several times over the weekend. Not at all like bigger cons with loooooong lines of manic DDR-hogs failing everything on Heavy and thinking they're all that and a bag of chips...
It'd be great to have AD at the Sheraton ^_^ *sigh*
Maybe when I have some loans paid off I'll start a party room. I've always wanted a tokyo club, or a ninja burger.....lol
I keep telling Convergence to incorporate more anime and be a scifi/fantasy/anime con, the attendence would explode! But they don't like to listen to people (or at least me).
(PS next year I'll be looking for peeps to POSSIBLY, as in *maybe*, do anime panels with me if anyone interested -_^)

Binny_V
10-04-2004, 11:07 PM
I sound like a broken record...

Ai-con up in Canaduh was in a Sheraton. It was really nice. And because I didn't make any reservations, I got to stay in the super-deluxe-ultima-presidential-mega room at the discount price! It's just too bad I didn't get to spend to much time in there...mainly because they were outta normal rooms.

I heard that this time around, AD will have around 2000 people.

But if we want a great successful Con, from personel experience I can tell you, everything needs to be prepared. I suffered through incompetent preparation over there. They didn't provide enough food at the sushi class, not everyone got to participate in "name that anime tune," Somebody volunteering spilled a pitcher of water on me! (not a preparment issue, but i was cold and p'd off lol) Plus they had their DDR on tiny computer screens. Plus their Go time (ya know, hikaru no go, the game) just wasn't very accessible.

Preparedness is the way to go for a successful-fun-for-everybody-con. And plenty of sweet, sweet anime.

PorcelainSakura
10-04-2004, 11:17 PM
I sound like a broken record...

Ai-con up in Canaduh was in a Sheraton. It was really nice. And because I didn't make any reservations, I got to stay in the super-deluxe-ultima-presidential-mega room at the discount price! It's just too bad I didn't get to spend to much time in there...mainly because they were outta normal rooms.

I heard that this time around, AD will have around 2000 people.

But if we want a great successful Con, from personel experience I can tell you, everything needs to be prepared. I suffered through incompetent preparation over there. They didn't provide enough food at the sushi class, not everyone got to participate in "name that anime tune," Somebody volunteering spilled a pitcher of water on me! (not a preparment issue, but i was cold and p'd off lol) Plus they had their DDR on tiny computer screens. Plus their Go time (ya know, hikaru no go, the game) just wasn't very accessible.

Preparedness is the way to go for a successful-fun-for-everybody-con. And plenty of sweet, sweet anime.
Volunteers, its all about volunteers that make things smooth. AD's concom I was told was under 20 people, Convergence's concom is more like 3 times that. I don't know exact numbers but they were stressed to the max, I didn't want to get involved (after doing so much at convergence I wanted to just be a patron for once) but ended up pulling a 4 hr shift in consuite at one point.

Binny_V
10-04-2004, 11:31 PM
Yes, you have a very valid point. The thing is, I'm not the kind of guy who would go to something like this to work and miss out on all the everything. lol. I guess I'm leaning towards the Dark Side over here... (currently playing KOTOR but the thing keeps on buggin' out on me)

Most of Ai-Con's volunteers were asked to do these special panels the night or day before the actual event itself. Though.

CapsuleCorp
10-05-2004, 10:23 PM
I am slated to volunteer with AD, but only for the Masquerade. ;)

DeadLegato
10-17-2004, 11:01 PM
CapsuleCorp- remind me to get your name on my "list" of people. I think there's something special about being on this mythical list, but I'm not sure.

They wouldn't let us put the dead animals in cosplay. Or the giant Indian out front. We asked about the Indian. We wanted to make a fuku for it.

For the stranded cosplayers in Minnesota, check this out: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=45831 and come party with us.

On the subject of con attendence explosion though... Convergence might not want that. It was the attendence explosion that really killed Midi-con, from what I understand. (I might be spelling that wrong, it died way before I could have known about it.)

CapsuleCorp
10-18-2004, 09:41 PM
Mini-con? Oh no, that was politics and a split in focus. The people who wanted it to be a snobby literary con kept Mini-con...the people who liked the media and costuming and fun stuff made CONvergence, and look which one is bigger and more popular now. :)

Anyway. Yes, DeadLegato, please do make sure I'm on any important lists regarding the con and information and all that. :) I'd like to know what I need to know when I need to know it!

Sugabear
10-23-2004, 05:00 AM
Ummmm I think AD2k5 (Bloomington,Minnesota)will be my first "cosplay" event if and one want to see what the hotle looks like let me kn ow it isnt far from where I live and I can go and take some Photos.

Keiichi-san
10-23-2004, 06:05 PM
I'm almost definately probably going! ;)

My only regret is that I probably won't have my ringwraith costume in time. I won't get it until around early April or the end of March at the earliest.

-K1

Serria
10-24-2004, 06:22 PM
I went to the Anime Detour room party at Valleycon yesterday. XD They gave out free pocky. I'm excited. Too bad it's not until March... ;-;

Pommie
11-20-2004, 10:05 PM
What's this?! An anime convention in Minnesota? And in Bloomington, no less!?

Cripes! I wish I had known about this earlier. I live in St. Paul, only about 15-20 minutes away from Bloomington. Hell, I've been b*tching and moaning about the lack of conventions in the midwest, and here one was held almost in my backyard. And to think I flew all the way down to Baltimore for Otakon...

I'm definately going to try and attend next year. It shouldn't be a problem, what with it being so close.

-K1

Yes. Yes you should come. Come and preregister. :) Preregistering is good. :thumbsup:

DeadLegato
11-20-2004, 11:59 PM
Not at all like bigger cons with loooooong lines of manic DDR-hogs failing everything on Heavy and thinking they're all that and a bag of chips...

CapsuleCorp, have I told you recently that you're my cosplay heroine?

For those of you follwowing the Detour Photoshoot Drama (TM) on the boards: No one ever said you couldn't have your own photoshoots or take pictures with your friends. We just said not to plan BIG photoshoots because the official one will take care of that, and we don't have the space for them.
Geeze, some of the drama-queens on the AD boards. *sighs* Just because something isn't "Fan-Ghetto" doesn't mean it sucks. The photoshoot last year was official, too. End rant about the photoshoot and the detour boards.

Oh, rules for cosplay entries are up. Due to time constraints only 20 skits are going to be allowed (although, as many walk ons as want to shake it on stage can enter as they like.) So if you know you're doing a skit, get your entry in sooner rather than later.

Please pay attention to the fact that all skits must be pre-recorded. No mikes, no screaming from stage, no surprises. Thank you!

CapsuleCorp
11-21-2004, 04:52 PM
No, you haven't, but the compliment is much appreciated. :D

There's drama on the AD boards? *stays away* actually, I think I tried registering there but could never post for some reason so I gave up. Or was that crossplay.net? Hmm. Anyway. DeadLegato, if you could pop me any information on current masquerade rules and decisions, that would be sweet.

DeadLegato
11-21-2004, 06:51 PM
The rules are up on animedetour.com, I think there's a link right on the front page to where they were posted but I'm not sure.

I've already had one complaint about only allowing pre-recorded skits from a friend who just wanted us to use mikes... but those of us who were at the last Acen know how well their mikes worked.

Gothic_Catboy
11-22-2004, 12:45 AM
You know that while using the pre-recorded skits, the people on stage will look like the characters from "Speed Racer." I was just going with the "lets hook up a lot of things and pray that it will go alright because we practiced setting this up 50 times" scenario...

But how many groups are going to be together to bother pre-recording their material no matter how many times you tell them to? It might just end up with the "stage shouting" thing...

Unless you offered a "recording session" earlier that day where groups could come in and pre-record whatever they were going to say, I honestly don't see that working as best as you'd hoped it would...

DeadLegato
11-22-2004, 02:12 PM
No shouting on stage, it's in the rules. You don't pre-record your skit? Your tough luck. You shout on stage anyway even though we told you not to? You don't get any prizes.

CONvergence: Uses pre-recorded skits only. Only sound problems they have are with missed sound cues. (That I'm aware of from an in-the-audience point of view, that is, which is what REALLY matters with any Masq)
I can understand why you'd think that, but you should ask Jessi about Convergence's masq, since you weren't there. I think she saw it... I just want to say "If you'd been there you'd see that I'm right" but that sounds REALLY retarded, doesn't it?

ACEN: Uses mikes in the floor. Last year, said mikes quit out. Thus, we heard practically nothing anyone said while on stage because most people in cosplay are not trained to project their voices. Was very obvious with some skits that the first time they'd ever performed their skit was on stage at that moment. At least with a pre-recorded skit, you've said your lines before. The year before that, we got feedback and skits that sounded like *feet noises* Konnichi *feet noises* Domo *feet noises* Gato!

If you can give a good enough reason why we shouldn't use pre-recorded skits, I'll think about it. ^_^

Edit: Was cleaning out my webpage and I found old detour pictures
http://closet.virtue.nu/detour.html
http://closet.virtue.nu/detour/index.html

If there is a picture on there you want, save it quickly, for I will likely be removing the general detour pictures to make room for other pictures shortly.

CapsuleCorp
11-22-2004, 09:30 PM
COnvergence's prerecorded skits are all the rage. Giant level cons do it without batting an eye - DragonCon, WorldCon type stuff. I would fully insist on it, and if people can't get together around a tape recorder and read their lines, that's not the masquerade's problem.

I actually really dislike those kinds of skits, I prefer to see short performances that are mostly music with little to no acting required. But if anime people like those skits, hey, the least you can do is prerecord the dialogue. It won't look funny when you can actually hear what they're supposed to be saying. There was a mix of half and half at Otakon and really, I think people were disappointed when they weren't getting the laughs for their skits because the audience heard nothing. The ones who prerecorded got the reactions they were looking for. It's as simple as that.

But I only have to worry about craftsmanship. ;)

Pommie
11-22-2004, 09:57 PM
I refer you to this thread. Cosplayers needed for event at Anime Detour (http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=48782)

Gothic_Catboy
11-23-2004, 02:30 AM
There's not really an arguement against the Pre-recorded skits save for, "It'll make it look really dumb when the people are trying to sync up their mouths to their lines."

The process does sound technically... sound... but as a courtesy for the groups who haven't had a chance to prepare... I would set up a small session before the masq for people who want to record their lines... it'll make more people happy and even though you can't make everyone happy, 97% is close enough.

DeadLegato
11-23-2004, 04:42 PM
I asked for a chance to set up a recording session at the con, but we don't have the spare equipment. If you want to provide a laptop, a mike, and a sound editing program that you're willing to leave in the hands of otaku for a few hours then we'd be glad to do it.

I'd love to be able to provide at-con recording, but we don't have laptops a plenty to hand out.

Gothic_Catboy
11-23-2004, 11:52 PM
I have neither of those except for the sound editing program... and what a program! But, put something out a MAS... I'm sure there are some theatre students that could get ahold of a microphone and someone in MAS would have a laptop with recording/editing software...

Post on the boards and ask in club, and ye shall receive something that will resemble an answer.

SongofAmazon
11-24-2004, 09:59 PM
For AI, I prerecorded my skit thingy and it worked like a charm. All people have to do is record stuff individually and send it to one central person who has a mixing program (like goldwave) to put it all together. ^^

Bobio Inevuana
11-29-2004, 06:31 PM
Hello again everyone! Wow, its been so long since I posted on here... O_O All of you have obviously gotten hyped up loong before it hit me.
I remember the masquarade as being very strange at Detour(it was my first masq. ever and I will never forget that one chick who made out with a doll...). I hope they hire better entertainment this year... Did those South Park guys even know what anime was...? O_O Maybe I'm just being way too picky. I have no previous experience, after all. :-p How about those of you who have lots of experience under thier belts? What did you think of those guys? And what usually happens when there's dead time for the judging at masqs.?

CapsuleCorp
11-29-2004, 08:58 PM
Most of the time, the "halftime" of a contest is covered either by announcing/showing the winners of AMV, art show, and other events held over the weekend, or by very particular halftime entertainment. CONvergence has the team from Soylent Theatre put on a skit, and being as these guys are real theatre people (amatuer pros :D), it's always very good. Or so I hear, I've been in the green room every single time. AD's problem last year was simply that they lacked halftime entertainment and went on one staffer's suggestion that his friend and friend's buddy do it - or something like that. I've only heard snippets of the story. Upshot of it being, they didn't exactly screen the entertainment ahead of time, it was a last minute thing.

I think everybody remembers hanako and that doll. :D

Pommie
11-29-2004, 10:15 PM
*blinks* When my head and eyes get unclouded from playing Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicales, I'll answer your question about the masq this year.

(Don't get me wrong, I ADORE FF:CC....I just went almost 2 hours with hardly blinking...and holding the controller so tight that my middle finger on my left hand hurts. )
:thumbsup:

Gothic_Catboy
11-30-2004, 12:01 AM
The two people that did the "halftime" show last year have been fired and have been fired at repeatedly by the AD staff, regardless, they will not be in the cosplay event for this upcoming convention...

Like anyone didn't see that one coming.

PorcelainSakura
11-30-2004, 04:45 AM
The entire AD Masq is explained on their boards.

PockyBunny
12-02-2004, 04:53 PM
The two people that did the "halftime" show last year have been fired and have been fired at repeatedly by the AD staff, regardless, they will not be in the cosplay event for this upcoming convention...

Like anyone didn't see that one coming.

I think I was the only one that actually did NOT see that coming.

I hope I can make it this year.... I have to talk it over with the rents again >.<

SongofAmazon
12-03-2004, 03:48 PM
Bobio- haha! That was hanako. I'm really sad that I didn't get to see the official run of it, as I was just after her.

I guess they actually made room for skits this year, when Puu and I decided that we won't do a song and dance. We worked so hard to find a song that worked for only 60 seconds last year... (of course the CD was messed up) But I'm fore sure going and getting on stage. I have yet to convince my Anthy to do anything more than a walk-on though.

Bobio Inevuana
12-03-2004, 10:32 PM
Ah, well, thats good that I wasn't the only one. How do people actually think of stuff to do-let alone get up the nerve-to get up on stage and do a skit for a Masq? Some people have a lot of time on their hands, I guess.

Hanako, huh? You guys seem to know her personally, so why did she decide to do that..? Where did that come from? O_O What did that doll ever do to get exploited like that?? (^^)

Song- ^_^ You're doing Utena this year? I can't wait! You're also very brave! I remember getting a bit of flack for being Anthy last year. But I like those sugary anime's... Besides, the only anime's I really know are those older more outdated ones... I can only afford to bum off of others. Haha. ^___^

(Wow...just got done reading the official letter of apology from the guy who helped direct the Cosplay... Sounds like they'll definitely be revamping the whole thing.)

CapsuleCorp
12-04-2004, 08:03 PM
I only know Hanako through her friend, who was Kurama in the skit - she and I are pretty close pals and cosplay partners. I'll have to ask her whose idea the skit was. I can almost guarantee it wasn't Kurama-chan's. :D

I'm not a performer, which is why I don't compete as often as I used to. I can't think of skits to save my life. Hall cosplay is what keeps me happy. Getting fangirled and photographed beats a masquerade trophy any day.

SongofAmazon
12-04-2004, 10:52 PM
*shiftyeyes* I love getting up on stage for any occation, even if I have aweful stage fright. I'm rather uncreative with skits and stuff, I usually just borrow something from somewhere (at least I have so far).

Man, I am such a fan of cute Shojou stuff. *points to her huge want list of Sailor Moon related costumes* Utena is definately one of the best. I don't understand why you would have been bothered about it, you were a lovely Anthy. We did the Utena and Wakaba thing last year (me as Wakaba) but no one recognized us except for the other utena cosplayers since we did manga school girl Utena. Both of us oogled at a distance at your anthy costume but were far too shy to go talk to you. ^_^''

I can't wait to see what everyone does for costumes again this year. *_*

Jen-neko
12-06-2004, 12:00 AM
Alas, I want to do Tsuwabuki from Utena (black rose duelist version), but I fear I won't get him done until AX this summer :P But for the record, I do plan on making/bringing the following costumes (posted in my siggy =^^=):

Kagome (from Inu Yasha), and
Gren (from Cowboy Bebop)

This'll be my first con (yay :D). Finally, no school to interfere! Work, however....=>_>= gonna hafta request some days off....But oh well, my supervisor has been pretty nice about that kind of stuff so far :P

I'm so glad spring break is the week before this con =^_^= Means I can drive down there early on Friday and chill before things get started without worrying about skipping classes :3

treasure_chan
12-06-2004, 12:14 PM
I'm very excited for this year. I have a Misato costume that I'm stuck on ^^; and a Fuu costume I'm working on with some friends for a MKR group. We'd also like to do a Dir en Grey group, so we'll see how that works out.

I actually skipped the cosplay competition last year... the line was way too long... ^^;; so I went to Hooters at the mall with my sister and one of our friends XD

PockyBunny
12-06-2004, 04:54 PM
I MUST start working on my AD costumes!! *hits self*

Jen-neko
12-06-2004, 09:40 PM
I think it'd be fun to get a large group of peeps together and go down to the mall in full costume =^^= I wish I knew of more InuYasha/Cowboy Bebop peoples that were going, to have a huge group from a certain series would be awesome :D

Bobio Inevuana
12-06-2004, 10:22 PM
Song- Aww. You seem like a very sweet person! Don't be afraid to talk to me: I'm actually the same way. [>_<]/ This year, I'm making it a point to actually talk to other people (I didn't do too much of that last year). I just get way too intimidated for some reason and it was so easy to use the people I already knew as a buffer... By the way, were you at Renfest this summer? Just wondering...

I actually went into the mall last year, even though I promised myself I wouldn't (because I lived very close to the mall, and might've stumbled upon some people from high school... O_O). The security guards let my 15 and 16 year old friends in because they remembered to carry an ID. Me however...the 18 year old... We traveled halfway around the outside of the mall begging security guards to let me in without ID while wearing my costume... That wasn't cool.

Oh but this year, I fully intend to go to the mall in costume -as long as I don't have to pass by Sanrio (I used to work there last summer). Haha. Now that I've graduated, I could really care less...

Capsule- I'll fangirl you this year!!! Pull out your Hiei costume w/o sleeves and I'll be there! ^_^ <3 I was really nervous last year, but thanks for letting me take your picture! By the way, nice work on the Namek costume (did I spell that right?)!

I can't wait to see what everyone pulls out this year!!!

GreenFire
12-07-2004, 02:35 PM
Hanako, huh? You guys seem to know her personally, so why did she decide to do that..? Where did that come from? O_O What did that doll ever do to get exploited like that?? (^^)

Hi! this is the Kurama from that skit and I can field that question. The idea came from some inside jokes from Mori no Ike and me thinking it would be absoultly hilarious ^_^. I'm don't remember for sure but I think I brought up her making out with the doll first...then it kinda snowballed. Basically we came up with it because we needed an excuse to have the two of us on stage together, last minute thing.

I only know Hanako through her friend, who was Kurama in the skit - she and I are pretty close pals and cosplay partners. I'll have to ask her whose idea the skit was. I can almost guarantee it wasn't Kurama-chan's. :D

The Hell is wasn't me! I'm pretty sure the Yuna screaming from offstage was mine as well ^_~.

Bobio Inevuana
12-07-2004, 03:56 PM
Ah~! Mori no Ike for Condordia!? I was there in the 2003 season weekend deal thinger! It was funny to see so many people who went to Mori no Ike show up at Detour.

So uh...where'd you get that doll, anyways? Are you planning another skit for this year?

GreenFire
12-07-2004, 05:18 PM
Sorry, we don't have a skit planned. I don't even know how many of my new costumes are going to be done by then to plan one. But I love going onstage so if Hanako wants to I'm up for it :)

CapsuleCorp
12-07-2004, 09:25 PM
Yeah, and I can't compete with you because I'm judging. :) (*points* look who I dragged onto cosplay.com! WHEE!!)

Bobio - YAY! Fangirl me. :D I'll bring as many versions of Hiei as I can fit in my bag, I'm sure I'll end up sleeveless at some point. Maybe even battle-damaged version with the Jagan that I wore at AnimeIowa.

JenNeko - GreenFire and I went to the Mall as Yugi and Kaiba during CONvergence, and let me tell you, it was a hoot. Definitely something to do if you're feeling up for it. Leave props in the car though. ;)

GreenFire
12-07-2004, 09:37 PM
JenNeko - GreenFire and I went to the Mall as Yugi and Kaiba during CONvergence, and let me tell you, it was a hoot. Definitely something to do if you're feeling up for it. Leave props in the car though. ;)

Yeah, props should stay in the car...unless you can keep score of how many people make a verbal comment on them. Like a duel disk ^_~

SongofAmazon
12-07-2004, 10:08 PM
*laughs* I was a Mori no Ike child too. Awesome place to meet other people who don't find you crazy for liking anime and manga (like most people in my school).

This year I so want to go to the MoA in costume during the weekend. The wierdest I've done is walk my dog in costume, so that's not much to rave about.

GreenFire
12-07-2004, 10:12 PM
We'll go get lunch at MoA together Sumiko-chan. They're practically begging cosplayers to go to MoA by having the convention so close to it. But it helps to have a reason for being there...so security can't kick you out ^_^

Jen-neko
12-08-2004, 12:08 AM
I'd love to find a group of people to go to the mall with =^^= (And I'd be sure to bring money for pocky at Suncoast :P).

We should just get a huge mass of people in costume to go over there :D That would be so much fun! And as long as we don't make any trouble, I'd see no reason for anyone to kick us out =^^=

treasure_chan
12-08-2004, 11:05 AM
Heehee, I'd be up for that XD

GreenFire
12-08-2004, 11:59 AM
Whoohoo! Cosplayer Raid on the MoA!! We'll make a caravan of it, and take over the middle tables at one of the foodcourts and laugh at all the confused peoples ^_^

Jen-neko
12-08-2004, 07:40 PM
That would be awesome! :D I'm up for that =^^= Should make a new thread or something...to recruit people :P

CapsuleCorp
12-08-2004, 09:34 PM
Hey, they didn't kick anyone out last year. :) Just as long as you're not too scary and it's clear there's a fair number of people obviously coming from some event. The only trouble I've ever heard came from Klingons, but those guys are just asking to be thrown out. ;)

I like this plan! I'm excited to be a part of it.

Bobio Inevuana
12-08-2004, 11:17 PM
Oh, me too! That will be great! We should set up a solid time durring the convention when there isn't much going on and meet somewhere, then just head over for dinner! ^_^ Poor poor Maki of Japan...
JUST DON'T, FOR ANY REASON, FORGET TO BRING YOUR ID's.
*sigh*

Have any of you ever been to HR Harris? I heard that was a very good place for fabrics...

Capsule- Count on it! Are you planning on making something new this year (You might have already mentioned it, but I failed to read the past posts... :-p)?

GreenFire
12-08-2004, 11:56 PM
Have any of you ever been to HR Harris? I heard that was a very good place for fabrics...

SR Harris = Heaven. It's the Sam's Club of fabrics. Everything you could possibly want and it's always 1/2 off.

and no I don't work there...I just went in there and had a fabrogasm ^_^

Jen-neko
12-08-2004, 11:57 PM
Yes, we can get times and dates and everything set up closer to con time =^^= I'll probably start up a separate thread for just this topic, too, but will probably wait a bit with that as well.

And I will hafta check out this SR Harris on my next trip to the cities (gonna visit my aunt on the 18-19 =^^= wee!) BTW, where's it located?

GreenFire
12-09-2004, 07:48 PM
And I will hafta check out this SR Harris on my next trip to the cities (gonna visit my aunt on the 18-19 =^^= wee!) BTW, where's it located?

8865 Zealand Ave. N Brooklyn Park

Jen-neko
12-09-2004, 08:46 PM
*hug* thank you =^^=

My aunt lives in Burnsville, so that's a bit of a drive :P But hopefully she won't mind =^^= Otherwise I'll see if my mommy can take me sometime...(curse not having a license =>.>=;;; )

CapsuleCorp
12-09-2004, 09:30 PM
SR Harris is a happy place. :D

I will have at least one new costume for AD - Legendary Hero Yugi, the virtual game armor from Yu-Gi-Oh. I don't think I'll get to Kougaiji in time, but if I do, I'll try to bring him along. I guess I should also bring Naoki and get pictures of me playing DDR in it. :) But my regular Yugi costumes and of course Hiei will be back as always.

GreenFire
12-09-2004, 09:42 PM
I'm hoping to have 5 new costumes for AD. 3 new Kurama and 2 new Kaiba. Yeah..let's see how many of those get done. I haven't decided yet but Miaka might be making an apearance as well.

SongofAmazon
12-09-2004, 09:43 PM
woohoo! I'm up for a MoA raid! *dances*

*grumbles* College apps have been eating my soul, so I'll probably only have time to make 3 of the four costumes I had planned for AD. How sad.

SR Harris is lovely. When I got in there I had a "fabrogasm" too. *laughs* (That's a great word!) And the fabric I found was almost perfect... and half off! When you want 7 yards of satin, discounts are a good thing.

Mucai
12-09-2004, 09:44 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any space left in their hotel room. ^_^

I'm looking at these costumes at the moment
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/caloris/138.jpg

depends if I can afford to commission them, I canít sew :(

Jen-neko
12-09-2004, 11:48 PM
Well, I think I'm adding Gunner Yuna to my list of costume-thingies.... :P That'll probably be the one I wear to the mall raid :D Weeee... *looking forward more and more to going to the fabricstore of goodness* Gonna hafta bring much money with me when I go visit my aunt... :P

Bobio Inevuana
12-12-2004, 09:10 PM
HR Harris is very far away from Minneapolis... O_O I'll have to make a special request for my b-day (its pretty sad when you ask to be taken to a fabric store for your birthday...)!
I'm looking forward to seeing all your lovely costumes!
Do you guys usually create yoru own patterns, or sort of modify commercial patterns, or just cut out fabric all willy-nilly? (yay! And excuse to use the word "willy-nilly"!)
And how important do you think props are?

Caloris- I'm not getting a hotel room. I'll be staying with a friend (hopefully). Or, at the very least, my real home in Bloomington (I'm going to college right now at the U...) Sorry!

GreenFire
12-12-2004, 09:42 PM
I've done it both ways, though I usually modify commercial patterns. But what I think works even better is to make the patterns from your everyday clothing. Find some clothes that are the right shape, find the seams, pin it to the fabric and start cutting.

Props aren't as important as the finished costume, but they're a lot of fun. You probably shouldn't try to carry around more than one though, it just becomes a hassle.

Jen-neko
12-12-2004, 10:25 PM
GreenFire -- LOL, I usually do my props first =^^= But then sometimes I end up not doing the costume....=>_>=;; Dunno why...

Bobio -- I don't like patterns much =^^=; I guess it's because I'm so used to hand-sewing that using the machine sucks sometimes. I like to make up my own stuff, though.....it usually turns out better =^^= Though there is a lot of trial and error (and stabbing myself with the needle) involved :P

Bobio Inevuana
12-12-2004, 11:05 PM
Yeah, props seem very cool indeed. I was thinking about trying to bring a prop with me, but then I remembered how hard it was just to carry a bag and camera, let alone extra useless luggage like a giant cross... O_O

Jen-Neko- My god. O_O You HAND SEW!? You are truly a hardcore cosplayer. The only time I'll allow myself to touch a raw needle is if its trim.

Greenfire- Haha. That's a very unique idea. ^_^ Do your cutouts turn out to be very accurate when you do it that way?

More specific panels, like a wig panel, or a makeup panel, or one geared toward crossplay or specially tailoring clothes to make your costumes look better...or one on props and making armor...

And yaoi panels are good but an hour of screaming fangirls shouting out their favorite pairings does not a panel make.

I'd actually sit in on a panel about the elements of Japanese culture that you see in anime or see anime fans pick up and pathetically try to use in America, so that the "newbie otaku" can understand things like Pocky, glomping, etc. Most of us pick it up by osmosis eventually but an actual panel to educate people about Japanese youth culture as explored in anime could be interesting.

<---Has finally decided to read past posts: Capsule- Those idea's you had for panels are very good! If there were panels like that, It'd be awesome! It'd be cool to look at street fashion in Japan, too. At least I think so... Someone should do those panels...

Does anyone remember Battle Royale? Do you remember how bloody and violent that movie was?
Last summer in Japan, a few weeks before I went there, a girl in middle school killed her classmate. Right there in class, she killed her. It was over something they were doing on the internet, some email or something. This seems kind of normal, sadly, for that kind of stuff to happen in the US, but Japan..? That was a huge shock for everyone, I think. For anyone who's not familiar with the crime rate in Japan, they are a very safe country -especially for how many people live there, crammed together. They're starting to blame it on the kind of violence that's in Battle Royale. But they've been having bloody violent stuff in thier anime for years. Maybe because it was a live-action movie? I don't know, but its kind of scary that a safe place like Japan is starting to take up habbits much like our own. Does that mean they're going to start censoring stuff over there? Eh...does anyone know(care) what I'm talking about? ^_^;
Tell me what you think about this.

Woo, long post that time...

SongofAmazon
12-12-2004, 11:08 PM
Most of my stuff that I do is at least modified from commercial patterns a little bit... but things like my Chii don't look anything at all like the original pattern.

Original costume from the pattern: http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=113263

Chii, modified from above pattern: http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=221456

My sailor kakyuu costume was pretty much entirely self-patterned. Only the spankies and the sailor collar (because I know that pattern works well) used commercial patterns.

Jen-neko
12-13-2004, 01:15 AM
Well, up until recently, I didn't have much experience sewing with a machine, but I've been hand-stitching things since I was a little girl =^^=; So I guess it comes naturally...

BTW, the catgirl outfit in my gallery....I hand-stitched that together :3 (that is, the paws and ears and stuff....the shirt I bought at Wally World :P)

But yeah, I'm being a real perfectionist with my Yuna costume.....I have a feeling I'm gonna be doing a lot of hand-stitching with that one....But that's ok, the machine will see some action with my Kagome costume :D (woo, pleated skirt..)

Mucai
12-13-2004, 05:16 AM
Caloris- I'm not getting a hotel room. I'll be staying with a friend (hopefully). Or, at the very least, my real home in Bloomington (I'm going to college right now at the U...) Sorry!

Guess I'll keep looking then.

At each of the interstate convetions I've been to, there were nearby hostels that I stayed at. A lot cheaper then a hotel. @_@;;

Singe
12-13-2004, 08:32 PM
As far as props go for this year, the Rayearth group that treasure_chan and I are apart of is going to require more time put into the the swords than even possibly the armor...gah. That is, if we want to be accurate.

Caloris- I suggest checking out the hotel that AD was held at last year, the Airport Marriott. It's nearby, and the rates were pretty decent when the convention was there last year. That's probably where the group I'm in will end up staying. Hope that helps! ^.^

CapsuleCorp
12-13-2004, 08:47 PM
Thanks Bobio. :) Not that I've heard whether anyone took my suggestions and ran with them. Eh. *shrug* Lately, my policy with panels has been, if it's interesting, I go, if not, I loll around the hallways being fangirled over my costumes. It's a win-win situation really.

As for sewing tips? :D You don't want any from me. I do things unlike anyone else. I make all my stuff from scratch. About the only time i use patterns is if it's VERY close to what I need and requires only minor modifications, or for pants. I suck at pants unless I start with a pattern. Everything else, I pull out of my butt. Really. Not literally! Ouch.

Mucai
12-14-2004, 08:33 AM
Caloris- I suggest checking out the hotel that AD was held at last year, the Airport Marriott. It's nearby, and the rates were pretty decent when the convention was there last year. That's probably where the group I'm in will end up staying. Hope that helps! ^.^

The rooms at the hotel where AD is this year are $79/night.

The cheapst at the MSP Airport Marriott is $69/night for 1 person. The 3 or 4 person rooms there start at $79 and quickly go up to $169 depending on the type of room.

Bobio Inevuana
12-15-2004, 10:30 PM
Ahahaha... the silence toward my last comment is truly deafening. *shrug* ^___^;

Capsule- Really!? That's actually what I do too. I've developed a sort of process that I follow. Not because its more accurate, but because its the cheapest (commercial patterns are so expensive...and they're just basically tissue paper...)! I am a very picky penny pincher...which is probably a bad thing, especially for someone with hobbies like ours...(Haha, last year I bought my fabric at Walmart...) Step 1. Scour internet for reference pics and tell yourself what you want and DON'T want the costume to look like. 2. Math and sketches (And I can never help but run the question of how much my waist has expanded in the past year through my head in this step :-p). 3. Draw out patterns on newspaper. 4. Cut out patterns and: viola! Is this sort of how you do it too? I-I've never made pants before...I don't think I want to start...
Haha.
Win-win huh? You truly love the fangirls...
Why do you choose to do all male costumes, by the way? Crossplay sounds quite painful for both genders...

Anyone got any tips for gloves?*cough*SongofAmazonwhohasmadeSailorMooncost umesincludingglovesinthepast*cough* ^___^ Seriously though, did you go to the Minnesota Renfest last summer?

Gothic_Catboy
12-16-2004, 03:41 AM
It's only painful for the first few minutes before you put on the costume and for about 2 hours afterwards because you realize that walking in heels takes more muscles than you've ever known.

GreenFire
12-16-2004, 09:22 AM
Bobio: Crossplay is only painful for girls if their stupid enough to use duct tape -_-. But that only happens once...then it's all good.

SongofAmazon
12-16-2004, 08:42 PM
Bobio- I actually buy all mine. ^^'' I got my white ones from claires, the long ones, and cut them to the desirable length. Definately the safest way to go. Renfest: I had 3 offers, but declined to go because I was going to go with my best friends, who all backed out twice, at the last minute.... so I didn't got this year. But I did go last year.

CapsuleCorp
12-16-2004, 08:46 PM
Actually, I don't even made my own patterns. I just draw right on the fabric (wrong side, of course) while it's laid out. After having done all the math and pre-drafting on scratch paper, of course. I think it works for me because I'm an extremely visual thinker - I can visualize what I'm trying to do when I see it on the fabric right away.

Why do you choose to do all male costumes, by the way? Crossplay sounds quite painful for both genders...

Lots of reasons, I guess. One, I like the male characters WAY more, in just about every series. I prefer shonen and action anime, and it tends to be heavily populated with male characters, most of whom are cool. Another reason, I hate dresses with a passion. And, since starting to crossplay, I've found that I just simply like it more. I like being a boy for a little bit, it's some kind of weird kick without any permanent ramifications. :) Oddly enough, I've gotten more attention and action while crossplaying, so go figure.

Crossplay isn't painful for me at all. Well, the first time I bound I had a bit of a sore back by the end of the day, simply because I was adjusting to a new straighter posture. But now, no issues at all. :) (lol and YEEOUCH about the duct tape. Who do you know that tried THAT, Greenfire?)

GreenFire
12-16-2004, 08:53 PM
(lol and YEEOUCH about the duct tape. Who do you know that tried THAT, Greenfire?)

Me...-_-. I'm not a complete idiot I was wearing something underneath it...it just didn't cover all of area under the tape....

Jen-neko
12-16-2004, 09:18 PM
Eek, duct tape =x_x= I'm probably gonna use medical tape for Gren (as mentioned in the binding thread in the crossplay forum :P).

I know this is slightly off-topic, but I'm going to SR Harris on Saturday and was wondering, does anyone know if they carry notions in addition to fabric? If not, I'll just find a Joann's or Michael's...

Bobio Inevuana
12-16-2004, 10:46 PM
Catboy- Damn straight! But you don't know pain until you've tried stiletto's. I still haven't learned to walk in them... I remember your Charlotte costume(sp?). I didn't even recognize you until someone told me it was you! I-If that was insulting at all, I apologize. Why do you choose to crossplay? ^_^ It's hard being a girl...

Song- Aww... I suppose that is the best way to do it, but I'm gonna need some major pleather gloves... That's cool that you could find your stuff at Claires! (Who would've guessed?) Doesn't the bill run high when you buy the commercial patterns? And is it easy to adapt the pattern to your costume?
So you didn't go to Renfest this year. Too bad... ;_;

Anyone got any tips on gloves? (Heh, theres probably a whole forum dedicated to gloves on this site somewhere, but I'm too lazy to find it...) I'll probably have to resort to a commercial pattern... *weeps* My money...

Capsule- Wow!! That's skill right there! It's sort of scary for me to make the first mark on the fabric because I'm always afraid of making a mistake. So you just sort of measure and math a little, then go right for it? And you don't make mistakes? O_O
As for being a boy, its understandable. Boy clothes are so much more comfortable! What I don't understand is why boys would choose to be girls... I guess we are prettier, but there are plenty of pretty boys in anime already... ^___^ So, not one of those Utena or Sailor Moon sugar anime fans are ya? Haha. Have you ever tried a girl costume, like, in your eariler stages of costume-making?

Greenfire- O_____O; That sounds terrible! I got a little scared for you when I read about the duct tape. I thought you applied it directly to your skin!! Why don't you try to use like, those nylon things you get when your sprain your ankle...those um...Ace bandages? At least they'll allow you to move a little more...

Sorry, but I have to get this out there: When you bind, doesn't that pinch!? Owy!

Jen- As for HR Harris, I don't know because I've never been there. ^_^ But I'm actually going the next weekend, so you'll have more experience with the place than I do! Wouldn't that be awesome if they carried notions too, though? Like, a discount heaven...

Gothic_Catboy
12-17-2004, 12:40 AM
Actually, my theatrical side takes that as a compliment. If I can completely change how I look and act, then I've become very convincing in my role of whoever I am.

And crossplaying for me is more in respect for those who I cosplay. Charlotte was an inspiration for me for fencing and with the good stereotypes of the French (as few as they might be), her beauty, charm, nobility and elegance just drew me in and I wanted to capture that elegance as I found that no one else had ever cosplayed her. I looked everywhere online, and I couldn't find anything... so... to my knowledge... I wanted to be the first person to cosplay Charlotte... and I think I have well.

And yes, there is much pinching, but you adapt to it after a while.

SongofAmazon
12-17-2004, 03:45 PM
I suppose that buying patterns isn't the most thrifty way to go, but I'm not confident enough with my self-patterning skills yet. I often use the same pattern several times for different costumes though. So that helps. I so wish I could have gone to the renfest though... I will this year!

CapsuleCorp
12-17-2004, 08:15 PM
GreenFire - *thwap* :)

Bobio - I don't remember SR Harris carrying notions, apart from some selections of buttons and I vaguely remember patterns in some area of the store. It's mostly just fabric and some trim. For thread and real notions (equipment, etc) you're probably better off just going to Hancock or something.

Technically, I do have two girl costumes. I have a can-can dress from Moulin Rouge (award-winning, no less). And, I just finished Helena from Dead or Alive 3 for giggles. Sadly, trying to put on a corset with either of them has the opposite effect - it makes me flatter. *sigh* So, I'm sticking with the boys. Helena's getting shown off a couple places this year, though.

Gloves - the only commercial company that makes a glove pattern is Kwik Sew. It comes with patterns for other accessories, and it's for stretch fabrics only. I've used it, it's good, but it ain't cheap.

Hyperion
12-18-2004, 10:48 PM
yay for AD 05

I must go rape SR Harris very soon...once I get my christmas money....all of it goes to costumes... More Sora-ness!

So i dont think I will be getting a hotel room... *shniffles*

and I would love to learn how to sew for my own costumes... I have a clothing class in school starting jmid january...buttttt.... we dont start sewing untill... march 14th...lol... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

it shall be another great year though

SongofAmazon
12-18-2004, 11:37 PM
I just found out I have a singing competetion that saturday (morning?) so I'll have to do some commuting again after all. Boo! I was hoping to be able to stay for the whole con this year. Commuting last year was horrid. *nods much*

GreenFire
12-18-2004, 11:53 PM
amazon: aww that sucks so much. At least you don't have to miss the con completely though. You are planning to go to the competition in costume right? ^_~

Bobio Inevuana
12-19-2004, 01:47 AM
HR Harris is a sewer's heaven. ^_____^
I ended up going there today (er, technically yesterday as it is currently past midnight...) because we realized that next weekend is Christmas... And I saved a ton of money!!! Yaay! It probably also helps that they're having a 50% off sale this weekend... I bought two costumes worth of fabric for the price I would usually pay for one! However, someone must have gone through there and cleaned them out of shiny black stuff... I was sad. But what a selection! I could easily spend the whole day there just browsing. Too bad its so far away from south Minneapolis.

Catboy- Yeah, you did do a really good job! ^_^ Are you planning on bringing that costume out again this year? And also, who IS catboy? Did you make him up or something?

That sucks Song! How far do you have to drive to get there?

Ah, thank you Capsule. I will have to look for that pattern at Hancock or something. You were right about the notions thing, too. They only carried patterns, thread, and buttons. *sigh* Helena, huh? Thats pretty daring for not usually doing girls costumes!
That's that French aristocrat chick, right? Which outfit did you do of hers?

Haha, you should try getting lessons from whoever is making your costumes, hype. You'd be ahead in your sewing class. Oh, and enter this contest called "Sweet and Sora." http://www.cosplaylab.com/ Find a nice good pic of yourself!

Heres something I just saw on TV that's a little disturbing: it's Anna Nikole Smith dressed as Rikku. The clip on TV was from a video game awards show on G-Phoria where Anna presented Rikku as the sexiest character or something... O_O I was completely shocked when I saw her trying to bounce like Rikku does on TV... I can't find any better pictures.
http://www.celebritymoviearchive.com/tour/movie.php/10558

Gothic_Catboy
12-19-2004, 03:19 PM
I'll be bringing that costume out again along with another that I have planned for this year. And as for the catboy, I did think up that design, though I mostly pieced it out from other fighting game costumes and concepts.

CapsuleCorp
12-19-2004, 08:33 PM
I did the black and red variant of Helena's opera dress (standard costume is blue and white, or in DOAUltimate white and silver). Yeah, it's kind of funny - the two girl costumes I have are outrageously to that end, particularly the can-can dress. Helena is actually very well covered compared to the other DOA chicks. I guess I'll have to bring her to AD, although the wig I'll need for that is the same one my friend borrows to be Youko Kurama, so we may have some...issues.

i still have to make a bow and re-attach the fancy boot covers to a pair of boots anyway.

Hyperion
12-19-2004, 10:42 PM
Haha, you should try getting lessons from whoever is making your costumes, hype. You'd be ahead in your sewing class. Oh, and enter this contest called "Sweet and Sora." http://www.cosplaylab.com/ Find a nice good pic of yourself!

I plan to enter that contest...just need to modify some pics and add the reference...so many people are backing me up saying i have a good chance of winning...I dunnnnnoooooo....

yes...sewing lessons...yeah the guy that made my costume last year will help me this.... He was Neo (not the green and black one....just the black one.....)
This shall be awesome... wooo for funness!

Bobio Inevuana
12-19-2004, 11:17 PM
Your catboy character is a fighter huh? I thought it was one of those dark J-Rock types or something... What games influenced your costume the most? I must have missed the catboy in the few fighter games I've played. ^_^

Ohhh, that's my favorite version of Helena! The white one is nice, but the red is waay cooler. Do you have a picture of that up anywhere? In order to wear it to AD you might have to compromise by staggering the times you guys wear your costumes involving that wig -like civil adults. Or, you know, fight to the death... ^_~

Hype- Ahaha, so some of your friends have already noticed that little competition huh? Really, you should enter and show off your keyblade (before it broke...).

Jen-neko
12-20-2004, 12:14 AM
Ah, finally back from my little excursion to see my aunt =^^= BTW, "fabrogasm" doesn't even begin to describe my reaction after walking into SR Harris XD (Was in there on Saturday for a good few hours with my aunt.....but was only able to find about half of the stuff I need for Yunie :/ oh well..)

Well, hopefully now I can get a good start on Yuna. Still need to buy/find the rest, but I still have time. Anyway, now I need to go work on Christmas presents :P (got all the buying out of the way, but now I need to make the stuff =X_x=;; ). So, till next time.

Mucai
12-20-2004, 12:32 PM
If I can share a room with anyone else going I'd be grateful

Of course Iím willing to pay my share of the room.
I'll be getting to Minneapolis on the 8th or 9th of march.

Jen-neko
12-20-2004, 12:51 PM
I might be able to share a room with ya.... Not sure yet, though (I already have 2 other people who may be coming with me, and I want to keep the max at 4 people since it'd only be $79/night then, according to the AD website). I won't be getting down there till the Friday of the con, though (to save $$ on the rooms and all....and so I won't have to miss as much work :P).

If I can't get a room at the Thunderbird, I'll try and find one nearby (after all, there are a few hotels right within walking distance =^^=)

Gothic_Catboy
12-20-2004, 01:03 PM
For the character concept design, I used Darkstalkers for the overall "cattish" look... the shirt is Morrigan's from her "human" victory pose; the pants are just pleather pants that was meant to appear "gothic." Felicia was obviously a model for the paws and to a lesser extent, the feet.

Pose and hair-wise came from KOF... The hair is partially Iori's with it longer in the back and the mannerisms and poses are a mix between Iori's and K`s.

As for a move set... I've never really gotten into a fight in costume to use anything, though I might have some idea what I'd do.

Binny_V
12-20-2004, 10:40 PM
Um, pardon my French, but what the hell is up with the website? Anybody know?

Mucai
12-21-2004, 07:25 AM
I might be able to share a room with ya.... Not sure yet, though (I already have 2 other people who may be coming with me, and I want to keep the max at 4 people since it'd only be $79/night then, according to the AD website). I won't be getting down there till the Friday of the con, though (to save $$ on the rooms and all....and so I won't have to miss as much work :P).

If I can't get a room at the Thunderbird, I'll try and find one nearby (after all, there are a few hotels right within walking distance =^^=)

^_^ ok. We'll have to see what we can work out :)

The site (before it went down with someone hacking it) said that to get the con rate at the hotel, it had to be booked by Feb 11th

Jen-neko
12-21-2004, 10:30 PM
Yeah, I checked that out and all. Still have a little time, but should probably get it done as soon as possible. I just wish I had a credit card with which to reserve the room =x_x= le blah!

Oh well, guess more looking into is needed...

Mucai
12-21-2004, 11:24 PM
Yeah, I checked that out and all. Still have a little time, but should probably get it done as soon as possible. I just wish I had a credit card with which to reserve the room =x_x= le blah!

Oh well, guess more looking into is needed...

I have a credit card (kinda), but it's only got AUD on it. Rotten exchange rate.

SongofAmazon
12-21-2004, 11:50 PM
gaah! the website has been hacked! Okay.... so I'm really glad that I printed out my registration form early. X_X

Jen-neko
12-22-2004, 12:10 AM
That sucks that the site's been hacked :/ I saved a copy of the registration form to my hard drive, though =^^= So if anyone needs it, just let me know and I'll send it to you...

Caloris -- Like I said, I'll look into it. I think my bro has a card I might be able to use....or my aunt.....I dunno, some family member might be willing to let me borrow theirs :P If not, well, maybe I just ought to get a card for myself....But I'm almost positive you can't reserve a room without a credit card. So, yeah, that's the only little technicality I hafta overcome :P

Mucai
12-22-2004, 08:16 AM
I sent them an email almost 3 days ago asking for the paypal reg info but haven't gotten a reply yet. The hacking of the site might have something to do with it, but I hope they will still let me pay the lower rate if they don't reply until after it goes up.

Binny_V
12-22-2004, 01:11 PM
It's a good thing I picked one up from Ai-kon and made copies! XD

Crimson Deity
12-22-2004, 01:29 PM
That sucks that the site's been hacked :/ I saved a copy of the registration form to my hard drive, though =^^= So if anyone needs it, just let me know and I'll send it to you...

Jen-neko, I'd like to take you up on your registration form offer. My sister was going to download it last night, but couldn't. It's going to be her first anime convention, so I'd appreciate it so much if you could send me the form. Thank you!!!

Bobio Inevuana
12-23-2004, 10:02 AM
H-Hacked? O_O ... Man...I'm lucky I registered early and got the group rate...

(Was in there on Saturday for a good few hours with my aunt.....but was only able to find about half of the stuff I need for Yunie :/ oh well..)

Yeah, its kind of hard to look through everything and find what you need in that place! They've got fabrics stacked on fabrics stacked on fabrics. @_@ About what time where you there, Jen? We might've seen each other. ^_^

Catboy- Thats cool! If only I knew who most of those people were... (I'm not too educated about fighting games). Why did you decide to create a new character out of bits of everyone? Trying to be original?

Gothic_Catboy
12-23-2004, 12:28 PM
Well, have you ever seen a catboy in a fighting game or other game of some sorts that doesn't imply yaoi or shota themes?

I don't know of these "other" games, but knowing some of the other H-Games that exist in the world, I wouldn't be surprised if these weren't around...

Plus I just always saw the Catboy in the Darkstalkers Universe as a compliment to Felicia... plus he'd be a good fighter. :P

Mucai
12-24-2004, 06:58 AM
The AD site is back up, kinda.

Anime Detour 2005
Technical Difficulties
Anime Detour has experienced some technical difficulties and will be semi-operational by Monday Dec. 27, 2004. For those wanting to register for the convention, please e-mail reg --at-- animedetour --dot-- com for a registration packet or use the forms below. Due to the current issues Pre-Registration for the $30 rate has been extended to Janurary 7th, 2005 by decree of the Wombat Chairman.

That's followed by the hotel and reg info.

treasure_chan
12-24-2004, 05:06 PM
Eek. I got my club's in a week ago... lucky I did it when I decided to x_x

Geez, when I go up there, I'll have to check out this SR Harris place everyone's talking about. XD

*glomps Jen-neko's signature* o_O;;

Jen-neko
12-25-2004, 10:21 PM
Whee, I have returned from the weekend of Christmas merriment! :P

treasure-chan -- =^^= glad you like my siggy :P I didn't even realize it was Yuki and Shuichi till after I made it =x_x=;

Caloris -- I just wanted to let you know that I've found about 3 people interested in going to Detour with me (I say "about" 3 since only 2 have really confirmed that they're gonna come along :P), but I checked what's on the Detour site and it says that the $79/night rate would still hold for up to five people =^^= So I may still be able to squeeze you in. Now I need that credit card...=>_>=;;

Crimson Deity -- The site is semi up, but if you still want it from me, just gimme your e-mail addy.

Bobio -- I was there a week ago today, somewhere around noonish, I think =9_9= If I remember correctly, you said you were there Sunday (and I was there Saturday), so I dunno if we woulda ran into each other or not :P

Well, now I better get to cleaning my apartment, since there will be inspections soon and I must get to bed for I work at 6 AM tomorrow =x_x= 'Til next time.

Hyperion
12-26-2004, 10:55 AM
I sent them an email almost 3 days ago asking for the paypal reg info but haven't gotten a reply yet. The hacking of the site might have something to do with it, but I hope they will still let me pay the lower rate if they don't reply until after it goes up.

I wouldn't worry about that...it ussually takes a while for them to reply. I think I got my registration info reply really close to the con.

I think I am going out to SR Harris today. Fun to be had indeed.

Crimson Deity
12-26-2004, 02:43 PM
Crimson Deity -- The site is semi up, but if you still want it from me, just gimme your e-mail addy.

Oh thank you anyway for the offer, but I got the form off the site yesterday. Sorry, I should have replied sooner, but I just got free of all the holiday festivities/washing dishes.

Bobio Inevuana
12-26-2004, 04:03 PM
Jen- Did I say Sunday? My bad; I went there on Saturday in the morning last week. So yeah, we probably never saw each other. That place is very hard to sort through when you have a crazy aunt breathing down your neck telling you that "we have a timeframe." >_< Thats my aunt for ya... (6am!? My god thats early!!)

Catboy- You should think up some sort of signature stance! Have you fleshed out your character yet personality-wise? I remember you being very quiet and dark... ^_^

Okay, can any sewer tell me how to correctly finish a hem? I HATE hemming... And whats the difference between a standard pressure foot and a standard zipper foot? >_<

Hyperion
12-26-2004, 04:15 PM
Just got done with my experience at S.R.... I found the perfect pleather-ish stuff for my Unknown Trench, but they only had 1.75 yards of it. I asked if they had anymore and got a swift no...*cries*

I will have to use the pleather they have there, unless there is some other place that can offer me 5 dollar pleather

SongofAmazon
12-26-2004, 06:08 PM
Bobio- hemming is annoying, but it is best to do a double-hem if you have something that will fray at all. Just turn your fabric over twice so that the raw edge is tucked in and pin it in place (pinning is a good thing) then sew it down. ^_^''

a standard presser foot is much wider than a zipper foot, which allowes you to get much closer to your zipper to hold it on well when you sew.

Mucai
12-27-2004, 07:42 AM
I wouldn't worry about that...it ussually takes a while for them to reply. I think I got my registration info reply really close to the con.

I think I am going out to SR Harris today. Fun to be had indeed.

I sent another email last night. Maybe my last one was eaten by the hacker. Got a reply back within 30 mins. I'm all paid now. ^_^

Jen - Thanks ^_^ I don't mind staying with how ever many people you find. Besides, 5 people would be less for each person to pay for the room.

Kaahi
12-27-2004, 12:25 PM
Wow, look at all the people posting here. >.> Hi, I posted like... once or twice last year.

SongofAmazon
12-28-2004, 12:55 AM
Hullo Kaahi. ^_^ Who will you be cosplaying as?

Hyperion
12-28-2004, 11:37 PM
I'm having a real problem finding some non-textured black pleather/vinyl.

If anyone finds some could you paweeeease let me know one way or another where it was. I will need a lot too...probably more than 10 yards.

Gothic_Catboy
12-29-2004, 02:11 PM
Well, I have a little more personality now than I did before, however I need some characters from Darkstalkers to interact with me, as that's about the only game that would have my type of character in it.

I've thought up some concepts in terms of stance, poses and phrases, but not all that much in depth as my design won't be applied to any future games or movies no matter how hard I would try to lobby for them.

I'd only find such groups to "hang out" with or take pictures with at some of the larger cons.

treasure_chan
12-29-2004, 10:43 PM
Hyperion: I saw a bunch at JoAnn's when I was looking for the same stuff. ^^

Hyperion
12-30-2004, 03:09 AM
Hyperion: I saw a bunch at JoAnn's when I was looking for the same stuff. ^^

Which one? I went to The one in Maple Grove, but all their black fabric was extremely textured...

Oh yes...and everyone go vote for my costume for the cosplaylab.com sora competition!! Woot!

treasure_chan
12-30-2004, 09:59 AM
Eep ^^; I'm in Sioux Falls, SD... ^^; probably a bit out of your driving range for fabric...

PockyBunny
12-30-2004, 11:29 PM
Okay, I'm planning on doing MM's No Pains No Gains costumes, and I need a solider/Nazi like uniform pattern. I've looked around and I can't realli find any. So if u see any pleeze let me kno!

Cheza07
01-01-2005, 07:25 PM
Hperion~ I saw some plain black pleather at Stretch & Sew Fabrics. i kinda forgot the $$ per yard^^" but if ya wanna check it out the adress is..
521 West 98th St. Bloomington, MN 55420

~Katie

Hyperion
01-01-2005, 07:54 PM
Hyperion~ I saw some plain black pleather at Stretch & Sew Fabrics. i kinda forgot the $$ per yard^^" but if ya wanna check it out the adress is..
521 West 98th St. Bloomington, MN 55420

~Katie

Thanks yous! I will have to check it out!

-FLCL-Amarao
01-04-2005, 04:19 AM
Holy crap, this thread took off...
Hey, I was Amarao last year, you may remember "The Eyebrow Guy..." Its strange how many people I have found that I remember and that remember me, especially at AI... Wow, I'm really lookin forward to AD2K5... My Canti will be done...

PorcelainSakura
01-04-2005, 11:04 AM
Canti! sweet....now i really wish i had time for Haruka cosplay

Pommie
01-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Holy crap, this thread took off...
Hey, I was Amarao last year, you may remember "The Eyebrow Guy..." Its strange how many people I have found that I remember and that remember me, especially at AI... Wow, I'm really lookin forward to AD2K5... My Canti will be done...

Rock on...Canti..

I <3 Canti.

I've been contemplating doing Haruko for a while....it's just breaking down and actually possibly doing it. I'm feeling lazy.... :sulk:

grandis
01-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Nemo and I will be there this year.

Nemo will be bringing Touga from Utena and Master Keaton.

I'll be bringing Nanami from Utena, Belldandy, Raquel from Scrapped Princess, Ciel from Tsukihime, and something really interesting for the costume contest, mostly by the tutorial graces of Amethyst Angel! (Thanks, Teach!)

See you there!

Grandis

CapsuleCorp
01-04-2005, 09:46 PM
Super coolness! I'll have to make sure my camera's memory card is empty for lots of photo ops. :D I'm aiming to have Legendary Hero Yugi done in time, even if I can't compete with it now.

Mucai
01-05-2005, 09:26 AM
Super coolness! I'll have to make sure my camera's memory card is empty for lots of photo ops. :D

I hope to have a laptop, so I'll be able to get a few GB of photos. :bigtu:

SongofAmazon
01-05-2005, 09:48 PM
I hope that my camera will work this time... It died after 15 photos last time... which made me much sad. I shall bring a back-up. *grins*

Mucai
01-06-2005, 09:16 AM
I spent $530 on a camera before Manifest because mum wouldn't let me take hers to Melbourne. I used hers at Anime.AU and it only lasted 30mins.

GreenFire
01-06-2005, 11:32 AM
I love my digital camera, best $400 (after rebates...lots of rebates -_- ) I ever spent. I can take fairly good movies with sound with it to, so I hope I have a lot of movie files to share as well as pictures after AD.

Mucai
01-06-2005, 12:35 PM
mine's a Sony Cybershot DSC-P73. 4.1 Megapixels. I've got a 16MB chip and a 64MB chip. That's about 40 photos. I'm looking at getting a 128MB chip and hopefully that laptop.

I used my Woolworths (http://www.woolworths.com.au) staff discount card. ^_^ only 5% >_<;;

Pommie
01-06-2005, 08:20 PM
I have a Kodak Easy Share at my disposal?

I also have a Olympus Camedia....*shrug* They're cameras, they take pictures...tis all that matters.

treasure_chan
01-06-2005, 08:29 PM
I have so many cosplays to finish for the con... T_T
Misato, Fuu, and Die...
It'll be cool once I finish them at least XD;;

That was totally random. Sorry. o___O;;

Anyway, my camera is pretty sweet. Its a Nikon 3.2 megapixels digicam. I <3 it. ^^

Pommie
01-06-2005, 08:32 PM
My Jessica outfit is sitting behind me...waiting to be finished..

My brain is too lazy to find the scissors to cut out the new trim for it...

I need to make her mallet still also. I'm just being lazy. Asuka's A-10 communicators need to be made also....

Curse me and my laziness.

I'll finish them sometime before the con, promise.

If nothing else, I can wear my cheongsam, dye my hair temporarly purple or black or something and go as Shampoo..*shrug*

GreenFire
01-06-2005, 08:38 PM
I have three new Kurama outfits almost done (dark tournament, Battle Damage, school uniform), and I'm almost finished with the Forlorn Hope, and should probably fix up my rose whip a little.

One of my new Kaibas is done, I still need to find a robe to go with my pajamas (blue eyes white boxers ^_^)

Those will all definetly be done before AD, I may possibly have a Yaone too depending on school and how insane I feel...

Pommie
01-06-2005, 08:40 PM
I'm still curious if anyone has a gallery from the photoshoot...

I KNOW there were a lot of people taking pictures there...where is the damned proof to show for it? *gloom gloom*

CapsuleCorp
01-06-2005, 09:47 PM
What the heck did I do with my Anime Detour photos? I know I put them up somewhere.

Sheesh, now that GreenFire has her Forlorn Hope almost done, that means I better get cracking on a Shadow Sword. Goodness knows I can't let her have all the fun. ;) Does this mean the Yugi jammies are coming along too? (let's play How Many Versions Of One Character Can I Cosplay In One Weekend!)

AHA! There they are, in my yahoo photos. http://photos.yahoo.com/staceylee25 - the AD folder is naturally the first one. I don't have any from the photoshoot - PorcelainSakura was in charge of that and I think she might have rescued them from oblivion somehow.

SongofAmazon
01-06-2005, 10:16 PM
ee! I'm so very behind on my costuming scedule. Due to a crazy winter filled with college applications, I haven't had much time to sew... so I'm barely started with the costumes I planned to finish in december. X_X I think at least one of my other planned costumes is going to fall of the list. I hope to get original concept mercury done too though... maybe one more.

treasure_chan
01-06-2005, 11:14 PM
All I'm really hoping for at this point is my Misato cosplay. At least I have a general plan on how to do it now, and I won her necklace on ebay, so whee for that. XD

My other two cosplays, which happen to be group cosplays... are just... well, we'll see how far we get on them this weekend. x.x

Bobio Inevuana
01-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Hype- Wow 10 Yards!? My god, are you making a tent or something?? O_O Not folded thats like...20 yards... Well, if you haven't already gotten it, I found my shiny non-textured black vynley stuff at Hancock fabrics for *sniff* $11 a yard. Thats the most I'd ever paid for fabric...but it was worth it. *sigh*

Catboy- Thats cool. I wish I knew some good poses for the camera's.The pictures where the people are posing are always soo much more interesting! Maybe you'll find some gothicy looking people to pose with... you never know! And thats great that you've developed some more personality. Do you try to portray that character throughout the duration you're in costume?

How many of you people try to act like the character you're being while in costume?

FLCL- You were a very sexy eyebrow guy. ^_^ Last year I was one among many who shouted "Ah, its the eyebrow guy from FLCL!!!" Sorry about that. ^_^ Thank you for letting me take your picture. It was one of very few that actually turned out pretty good.

...Who's Canti?

Hello again Grandis!!!! I'm still in awe of your tremendous pointy elf features. I'm so glad you'll be doing Utena this year! I'll have to fix up my old Anthy costume for poses. What day will you dress up as Nanami?

Yipee! I'm ahead in my costumes. I'm nearly done with both. Soon, all I will have to do is sit back and wait for march to roll around.

Oh oh! A-and I have a TRE-mendous quicksnap 35mm 27 exposure FujiFilm One-Time use camera that I can take back to Walmart for some "quality film developing." YES! [>_<]/ Cheapness at its worst.

-FLCL-Amarao
01-08-2005, 12:04 AM
FLCL- You were a very sexy eyebrow guy. ^_^ Last year I was one among many who shouted "Ah, its the eyebrow guy from FLCL!!!" Sorry about that. ^_^ Thank you for letting me take your picture. It was one of very few that actually turned out pretty good.

...Who's Canti?

Thank you very much, I love to hear that I'm appreciated :rolleyes:, were you in costume at Detour? Have I not read enough of the Thread? Anyway...

Who's Canti... well, he would be the robot from FLCL, which...hehehehehehehe, is sitting practically completed in my kitchen ***YAAAAAYS***. Sorry, I just finished it, I'm kinda losin it right now... *****YAAAAAAAAYS*****

Oh, and cause I'm kinda proud of it (Yes I know, I'm a jerk) here's a pic, Everyone, not just you...

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=253712

**********YAAAYS*********

Sorry, but this means something to me *trys to calm down*...

SongofAmazon
01-08-2005, 12:34 AM
I don't think I'll act in character... beacuse I'm a horrible actor and Nanashi is worse. Maybe if I do one of my single costumes I might act in character, but I don't think that it would be that different from my own personality. ^^

GreenFire
01-08-2005, 12:41 AM
I kinda stay in character when I cosplay. I take on some of the mannerisms and attitudes that the character has, but I take some liberties so I can have fun at the con.

Kaahi
01-08-2005, 02:10 AM
Bobio ~ Good news for you. I think... you already bought your boots, right? Um, well... A girl at school came in wearing these... knee-high leathery looking stilletto heeled boots. Said she got them at Mashal Fields for $25 in case you're wondering.

Anyhow. Um... My projects are... Chloe from Noir, and a Mithra from Final Fantasy XI. Since they're really my first solo projects, I'm starting with the simpler one (Chloe) and... then if I have time, going onto the second costume.

Pommie
01-09-2005, 12:30 PM
The Canti costume is awesome. Great job. :)

I've started looking into cosplaying Kimiko Nanasawa from Megatokyo. I was inspired by Fred's latest posted of "Sad Kimiko in the Snow". I thought to myself, that would be SO appropriate for a con in Minnesota. ^____^

MellowDreamer
01-10-2005, 04:13 AM
well, I went last year, as Shinji... and really.. it sucked... but it was ''something'' at least.. it was my first con after all! heh!
Anime Iowa was my second one last year, and now Anime Detour again... fun fun!
^_^
erm.... I hope this time to have a better costume.. like my Spike one I used at AI, heh.
Its awesome to find a thread about it too with lots of people posting on it! yay!
And yes.. its hard to find alot of anime fans in Minnesota... well... nowadays it isn't, lol!
I just walk over to the ever growing manga section at Waldenbooks or Barnes and Nobles and see my friends there!
just awesome, I hope to meet some more people too... its gonna be an awesome one this year!
So yes... see you all there!
=^_^=

PorcelainSakura
01-10-2005, 09:44 AM
I'm still curious if anyone has a gallery from the photoshoot...

I KNOW there were a lot of people taking pictures there...where is the damned proof to show for it? *gloom gloom*

A lot of the people taking pics didn't get in touch after the fact, hence no gallery. Though Fans View has a rather nice one from the entire con.

Amarao- I can't wait to see Canti, I so want a Canti hug ^_^

-FLCL-Amarao
01-10-2005, 10:09 AM
Amarao- I can't wait to see Canti, I so want a Canti hug ^_^

lol, that Canti hug is going to take about five minutes, you would not believe how hard it is to move in that thing... And I'm going to wear it for all of Saturday... You know... I just realized that I'm going to be at the mercy of my friends while I'm wearing that, I can't eat or drink anything by myself (or take it off for that matter)... :waaaah:

So if you see a poor lone Canti in the consuite staring at the food, you may need to help him..... X :drink: X

Mucai
01-10-2005, 11:32 AM
If I do have a costume to wear, I don't think I'd be in character. I can't act. I'm normally backstage doing tech stuff in stage performances.

shadow_girl294
01-10-2005, 04:57 PM
hello i havent been on in awhile....i can finish my costume faster now that i have a sewing machine^^

Gothic_Catboy
01-10-2005, 06:15 PM
It's a little hard to act in character all the time, but I try my hardest to stay in character for as long as I can. You can only act gothy for so long before you need a bite to eat.