PDA

View Full Version : Why such few cosplayer there?

moonrabitt
05-30-2004, 11:56 PM
I went and only saw:
2 yugis and a Bakura
1 Shishio
1 Prince Diamond
and like 10 other characters

Why so few cosplayers? There might have been a few more, but I expected more, and this was my first Con. Are there more on saturday?

-Just wonderin'

I went on sunday...

Clueless Case
05-31-2004, 12:42 AM
I heard more people went on sunday. Don't forget this was the first PMX first year. I so tons of J-rock and Lolis and most cosplayers went to fanime.

Ura-Kou
05-31-2004, 12:42 AM
This was PMX's first con, so not that many people showed. Just make sure to make it to AX.

Maryssa
05-31-2004, 03:41 AM
I just felt like it was more like a "j-rock con" than an anime con.

Ami Yuy
05-31-2004, 01:48 PM
*nods* I agree with Maryssa. We went on Saturday and there were a good number of cosplayers in the afternoon. When I say good number I mean in proportion to any normal con. Take how many people are usually at a large con (like AX) and how many cosplayers are there and then compare it to PMX, it seemed about the "same" to me. Like there were 4 non-cosplayers for every 1 cosplayer or something.

But yeah, about 10 or more Naruto, 6 Cowboy Bebop that I saw, 3 Sailor Moon (me, a Princess Serenity, and a Sailor Saturn), some King of Fighters (5?), about 6 or 7 (that I saw) Final Fantasy, 1 Kenshin, and a huge group of Mibu Wolves (from I can't remember...) and some other random anime and video game characters.

So, there were quite a few Saturday. ^^;; But yeah, the majority were Gothic Lolita or J-Rock.

kndy
05-31-2004, 02:15 PM
Many of my friends who cosplayed said that for PMX, they were there mostly for the music experience and are preparing for AX and Ani-Magic for their cosplay. I was checking out the Fanime board and it seems that they experienced a similar situation on their first two days as well.

kndy

aznaphrodite
05-31-2004, 11:23 PM
I went to PMX all three days and cosplayed as well. I agree there were a lot less cosplayers than I excepted but I also think it's because most of the attendees were busy with their music experience and catching their favorite bands, instead of cosplaying.

It was still a lot of fun though!

Rogue Marvel
05-31-2004, 11:45 PM
well I know I stayed in a room with 5 other girls and for 3 it was there first con so they chose to wear our school uniform for fun some of the time. One wore my ed wig and the rest of the time they were in street clothes. My sister dressed up as nabishin the first day and then wore school girl and street clothes. Another girl in my room was excel, two diffrent school girls and street clothes.

I myself had a fruba costume, my pocky stand, school girl and a borrowed trigun costume from jen and on saterday night I wore street clothes for the PLC concert. The street clothes thing was just easier for some events especally the music stuff.

I know alot of people who would have gone to PMX went to fananime so there go some cosplayers...or they are still finishing stuff for AX.

I predict that PMX will be a bigger con for cosplayers in coming years...especally with the cash prizes in the masqerade

hoshikage
06-01-2004, 12:55 AM
*somewhat puzzled* You were there on Sunday? I saw plenty of cosplayers Sunday... there were certainly enough to fill out thirty-something groups in the Masquerade, anyway, and that's not counting the ones I saw earlier who elected to go to the concert instead. :)

shinichiusagi
06-01-2004, 12:55 AM
mi and mi friends were there for all 3 days, like you said, just maybe few people there, but it's easy to win the masq. contest. the winner is the shinshigumi group~ cool.

L to the 3rd
06-01-2004, 02:50 AM
lol i was the prince diamond ^^;

Lack of cosplayers..o.o; there was.

Michi
06-01-2004, 05:13 AM
o.o I saw more cosplayers on Saturday than Sunday, not including the masquerade. XD; I wore three costumes... two video game and one J-pop.

Part of it might be the fact that it was such a huge space, people were spread out a lot more, and we're used to seeing tons of people all over like at AX? @_@

jen_kat
06-01-2004, 05:41 AM
I went with my cosplay group from school (UCLAJAC -- we were the 20-something group of Naruto cosplayers... ^^;;;...), and it seemed to me that there were more cosplayers on Sunday, but maybe because I saw most of them in the Masquerade. Other than that, around the convention center and all, I didn't see that many other cosplayers. Maybe I was looking in the wrong places. ?_?

It was cool though -- you'd see certain cosplayers over and over, so you could kind of get to know them a little more than you would be able to at a bigger con like AX because there was time to chill. I know I got to get to know some people better. ^_^ Plus, I made some new friends, so I'm happy.

(Though I have to say.. I did a running count on Monday, and I saw 21 different people wearing just official Naruto headbands....o_O)

BlueLady
06-01-2004, 12:18 PM
true, other then masquerade we saw a very small amount of cosplayers. It was a j-rockers con for certain.

FlameSniperRei
06-01-2004, 12:47 PM
I went and only saw:
2 yugis and a Bakura
1 Shishio
1 Prince Diamond
and like 10 other characters

Why so few cosplayers? There might have been a few more, but I expected more, and this was my first Con. Are there more on saturday?

-Just wonderin'

I went on sunday...

We were there :) I was Roof Mellow and my sister was the Prince Diamond/Demando. Our other gorup members either were working in the dealer's room or didn't feel like cosplaying cuz there was so few gatherings and everyone is saving up on costumes to show at AX....that's what it seemed like.

Evil Bishounen
06-01-2004, 03:19 PM
It WAS a pretty small con, probably made to appear even smaller since it wasn't all contained in the Hilton. A lot of people were just feeling it out, and many of the anime/game cosplayers were probably off at Fanime, so PMX was largely left to the J-rock and goth crowd. I still saw a fair share of cosplayers, considering the situation the con was happening in. It was just harder to run into them since there was lots of moving between the Hilton and convention center.

It was quite a bit different, though not entirely unexpected from my perspective - but my group was pretty much laughing about it most of the time, since our bright colors clashed so much against the attendee majority. XD (We were the Secret of Mana group from the masquerade, I was the hero in bright blue and magenta) I also observed that the goths and anime/game people seemed to stick to their like, for the most part.

I had a world of fun though, and I'm sure it'll be a bit bigger and have more cosplayers next year since it won't be competing with another California convention.

FlameSniperRei
06-01-2004, 03:46 PM
I think having it in the Disneyland convention center like AX2000 would be soo much more fun. It's not as big as the Anahiem con center either. It'll feel more close together. And yeah either having it way before AX or after would probably draw a larger crowd.

jen_kat
06-01-2004, 03:49 PM
evilbishounen - Do you by any chance happen to know Marcy/Marci (gah, I forgot how to spell her name.. ^^;;..) I know I've seen you before, but I always have a hard time trying to place you. x_x Your skit was great. I loved the narration and humor. ^^

I agree about the placement of things. It seems that if it had been more contained into just one of the buildings, it would've appeared to be a bigger con just by having people be able to run into others more often...

Claire
06-01-2004, 03:55 PM
Considering that the con's overall attendance was pretty small, I'd say there was a pretty large percentage of cosplayers. J-rock cosplayers are still cosplayers, y'know. ^^; I think that because most of the people who came also came to AX last year, they're used to seeing the convention center packed to maximum capacity, so this first year con's contrast made it seem extremely empty.

Also... j-rock people and these "goths" you're talking about are just as cliquey as anime and game fans. I've got friends in both circles, and everyone's just as nice as everyone else. Don't be afraid to make friends in different clothes. ^^

Evil Bishounen
06-01-2004, 04:48 PM
jen_kat:

Thank you XD We wrote that so last minute, and at first we surprised it went over as well as it did. And I do know a Marci, yeah, I haven't seen her for a while though, and it's kind of a friend-of-a-friend situation. The one I know is a big Sailor Moon and Hana Yori Dango fan, is it the same one? Anyway, to keep things from getting off-topic or turning into a casual chat, we can continue in PM or something. :)

Claire:

*laugh* Everyone's cliquish, no matter where you go. I myself certainly am not placing one group above another, it's just a matter of different interests. In a group scenario, people just naturally drift to what they're interested in.

As an objective observation, many of the attendees didn't seem to be cosplaying at all (and by this, I'm NOT in any way saying that J-rock people "aren't cosplaying" - I recognized a couple Gackts and Manas as I was walking around). The thing is, most of the "goths" seemed to be people just walking around in clothes bought from Hot Topic or the like because they like to wear that kind of thing, not as any sort of costume. Just my perspective though - I won't pretend to be all that knowledgeable on the J-rock/goth/etc thing and who's supposed to be who at a con (or if they're supposed to be anyone at all), because I'm not into it. Anyway, just my personal take on it, please don't assume I'm being deprecating about it.

Claire
06-01-2004, 06:06 PM
I'm not assuming anything - it's just that sometimes, there's animosity between different interests, and I don't like that. ^_-Luv and peace, yo.

Evil Bishounen
06-01-2004, 06:12 PM
I'm not assuming anything - it's just that sometimes, there's animosity between different interests, and I don't like that. ^_-Luv and peace, yo.

Gotcha - glad that's cleared up, then. :)

moonrabitt
06-02-2004, 09:19 PM
ohh..I did see Prince diamond....good costume...I didn't know the con was new, since I am new to cosplaying....you all are right ^_^

Matrix7reloaded
06-02-2004, 09:50 PM
Well, it was a small convention and it seemed more music related than anime related. That is probably why there were less cosplayers. That's why I didn't get to take that many pics, but it was still cool. A lot of jrock dress ups and people wearing the usual black and leather stuff.

Tetsugyu
06-03-2004, 01:30 AM
Oh geez that's an easy one: BECAUSE THE COSPLAYERS WENT TO FANIME! Which is where I would have been, if I had the money. No offense at all to PMX, but it wasn't a good time for them to have their first con. I will go next year since it will be in September during the Memorial Weekend. But if I had my druthers, I'd have been at Fanime...with the majority of my friends. Especially the ones I had made at the con, not just the Con regulars I see at AX, AM ect.

Oh well. Next year should work out well.

ssmitty
06-08-2004, 03:58 PM
We enjoyed the "smaller" feel of the convention and yes, there were several major anime conventions going on that weekend. It's a popular date. As such, PMX has moved it to Labor Day Weekend.
Also, it wasn't an anime convention per se, but an asian pop culture convention with an anime emphasis to draw that (large and growing) demographic.
We heard several people complain about the smallness of the convention but come on it was the first year. Bigger isn't necessarilly better. Maybe people were confused because of the Anaheim Resort venue.
We didn't cosplay much b/c 1) lazy..it was too hot for us Y_Y(from seattle) 2)wanted to concentrate on the convention itself and be able to move freely about. ^_^.
Anyways, I'm really looking forward to going next year and hope to see a lot more of you in cosplay!

inu-chan00
09-16-2004, 11:58 PM
hmmmm not many people cosplays as i expectited...bu im sure with the smash hit concert theyll be more cosplayers next year^^ actually a friend of mine met t.m.r in the elevator 0.o next year im campin out in there.............
with the lack on cosplays...it was still very fun and enjoyable ^^oh i was a youko,kenshin and inuyasha there.........blah

shogun
09-17-2004, 02:11 AM
Well, we are expanding upon the activities of the convention for 2005 that will hopefully interest the cosplay community even more. I hope to make the announcement in the next week of the plans on the expansion of the convention scope.

Mike