PDA

View Full Version : Signs banned for ACEN 2005?

NeonRainDrop
05-31-2004, 10:40 AM
Yeah. I just wanted to create this thread, because I am angstful because my sign was taken away at ACEN. It was a perfectly clean sign too. No profanity or anything.

Did any of you see the two guys walking around with, "Screw Hugs, I want Sex!" signs? They both go to my high school. And they probably helped to ruin it for everyone. ARRR!!!!

If signs are banned for next year because of this, I will freak out. And possibly wring someone's neck. haha. :argue:

effembee
05-31-2004, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I saw them. They were dumb. Really dumb. All of the signs...they're just stupid. It was funny for like...five minutes, but then it just got old. The signs will probably be banned for ACen 2k5.

I've heard from some people that they actually wouldn't let people pass until they gave them a hug...or something like that. It was just plain annoying.

~FMB

Bobbi
05-31-2004, 12:18 PM
You might be better off asking at the acen forums. http://acen.org/forums

A lot of people had signs with nothing profane, and used their own paper. However it was the people putting inappropriate messages and using acen signs for theirs that made it a problem. It ruined it for everyone, as things usually go. One very underage girl had a sign that had an inappropriate message, and was caught with a person very legal-aged, which angered her parents. That's how the whole sign confiscation began.

effembee
05-31-2004, 12:41 PM
You might be better off asking at the acen forums. http://acen.org/forums

A lot of people had signs with nothing profane, and used their own paper. However it was the people putting inappropriate messages and using acen signs for theirs that made it a problem. It ruined it for everyone, as things usually go. One very underage girl had a sign that had an inappropriate message, and was caught with a person very legal-aged, which angered her parents. That's how the whole sign confiscation began.
Really? I heard about that, but I didn't know that was why they started to confiscate signs...

Masayume
05-31-2004, 03:18 PM
Wow I didn't hear about that but that's totally crazy, and not in a good way ^^;;; I don't know I've had nothing against signs I've typically ignored them. I've hugged and even given kisses to a few people with signs but if its something I'm not comfortable with I'm not going to pay it any mind. Though, hearing all this it wouldn't surprise me if they did ban signs next year. This is what happens when you get some very immature people at a convention.

Tiara
05-31-2004, 05:49 PM
I actually heard from the security heads at the staff party why they were banned but I won't say because I don't think I should.

But anyways the what a few people do can ruin it for everyone. When signs are taken literally and meant literally, and something happens the con can be held responsible for it.

Nerve-chan
05-31-2004, 05:50 PM
I've heard from some people that they actually wouldn't let people pass until they gave them a hug...or something like that. It was just plain annoying.

~FMB

Aiihh? Did that happen to you? Next time give 'em the good ole stomp on the foot.

effembee
05-31-2004, 06:57 PM
Nah, I was lucky. ^.^ The signs were cute for a while, but...then some signs for instance, "screw hugs, I want sex" were totally not needed. I mean...they were pointless. *shrugs* The world would be better off without them, I think.

A DDR LeGend
05-31-2004, 07:58 PM
um, guys, excuse me

there has not been ANY decision about the signs yet. As it was mentioned on the ACen forums, they will review the policy and make a decision. Until then, speculation and predictions will only make matters worse

RoMayDrako
05-31-2004, 09:45 PM
All I know, is one woman, while I was sitting in the lobby on Sunday, quickly stood up and shouted to quickly for someone to hide there sign. Cause security was really crackin' down hard on people. I talked to her-and despite SOME staff was holding signs, alot got out of hand and this was there way just to be certian.

As to is there a decision yet, prob not. But know some signs last year got exstreme the ban for all was made quick. If your security, it would suck to read ALL the signs to make sure they were clean.

So we run into a wall here. How many bad-compared to okay signs did we have. If there was more bad then good, well pray they don't get banned.

Karoi
05-31-2004, 10:03 PM
This (http://www.acen.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3960) thread here might answer some questions. Nothing's concrete but it seems like asking for hugs or giving hugs an exchange for something else won't be allowed.

Troppy
06-11-2004, 03:12 PM
Regardless, the fact that people would be *upset* about a sign-banning makes me sad inside. "Oh my GOD, I can't beg for pocky/sex/hugs!!" "however will I profess my love for Gundam boys??" "You mean I CAN'T announce that I'm a random anime civilian stand-in? CURSES!!!"

...come on, guys. Find something better to do. :/ It's a con. It's fun.

DaphHime
06-11-2004, 06:16 PM
They should get rid of some, not all signs. Ones begging for pocky or hugs or anything else like that sould be banned. Since they are aganst the rules anyway.

But if the sign has something to do with a costume, then it should be consered a harmless prop, and shouldn't be taken away.

Troppy
06-11-2004, 09:58 PM
okay... please don't take this the wrong way... for I mean no harm... but is there ANY COSTUME in this ENTIRE WORLD that 100% all-out NEEDS to have some sign carried with it? Like... is there an outfit you make that REQUIRES you to write something on loose-leaf paper with sharpies? I really don't think it's that big of a deal either way, but... somehow I doubt that lives would be at stake...

Yumeko
06-14-2004, 01:26 PM
I weep for the loss.....not

I actually agree with Troppy on this one. Besides, some of the ones I saw weren't so Harmless. :untrust:

Masayume
06-14-2004, 02:53 PM
Yea I second that, and even after a while the signs are annoying. Wouldn't be a huge loss if they did ban them anyway.

NeonRainDrop
06-15-2004, 07:47 PM
Now that I think about it, signs are for people who wish they could cosplay... Seriously people. Get a good costume, and you won't need a sign to be glomped.

xerocalibur
06-18-2004, 04:21 PM
okay... please don't take this the wrong way... for I mean no harm... but is there ANY COSTUME in this ENTIRE WORLD that 100% all-out NEEDS to have some sign carried with it? Like... is there an outfit you make that REQUIRES you to write something on loose-leaf paper with sharpies? I really don't think it's that big of a deal either way, but... somehow I doubt that lives would be at stake...

I can think of one. SCUD the Disposable Assassin. There's one comic cover wherein he's holding a sign, so that could make the costume better. However, that's a comic character from America, and not Manga or Anime, so I doubt anyone would Cosplay as him.

Anywho -- Yea, the signs got annoying, and me personally, I'll admit, I had a sign -- and mine didn't get taken away. Why? Because I made my sign on Saturday night and it said "If you stop holding a sign I will Too."... Yes, I was annoyed enough by the signs to make an anti-sign sign. >.>

So yeah... I even had a costume I wore and a custom T-shirt (I was the guy with the quote unquote "Not Vash like but badass trench coat" and the Pink Spider shirt)...

I know someone at the con took a digital picture of my sign and me at the Masquerade before it started, but I have yet to see that pic anywhere.

Masayume
06-19-2004, 02:00 AM
I just thought of one... Genma the Panda from Ranma 1/2 but even then its not a huge deal if he lacks one. Though he is known for his signs >_> Sorry, contradicted myself there.

redruMCareBear
07-08-2004, 09:35 PM
Yeah. I just wanted to create this thread, because I am angstful because my sign was taken away at ACEN. It was a perfectly clean sign too. No profanity or anything.

Did any of you see the two guys walking around with, "Screw Hugs, I want Sex!" signs? They both go to my high school. And they probably helped to ruin it for everyone. ARRR!!!!

If signs are banned for next year because of this, I will freak out. And possibly wring someone's neck. haha. :argue:

Yea, I saw 'em. It's funny for a moment, but then it just starts to annoy the heck outta ya. x_X And, I know. It sucked that regular people had their signs taken away. Though, They had to do this because many people started to complain why others got to keep their signs. -shrug-

redruMCareBear
07-08-2004, 09:37 PM
Another reason they were taken away was best they are NOT harmless. Some people said they wanted kisses, which could lead to underage problems. One girl was only 14, and a 30 year-old kissed her. Though, That led to more. Later they were found making out under some stairs. x_x Hugging can also lead to this.