PDA

View Full Version : Costuming Track....

kitsunered
05-31-2004, 07:52 PM
Taken from the Dragon*Con website...

Costuming

Director: ?

Brand new for 2004! This programming track has just been added and is still under development, please check back soon for more information.

Does anyone know anything about this track? I'm curious as to what panels they'll be doing and how they'll be handling it. Also, what would you guys be interested in seeing? I know I personally would love a few workshops on hard-to-make items (props especially), or maybe a beginner's sewing panel that teaches newbies how to use patterns, basic stiches, and how to use a sewing machine.

-K

HealerKou
06-01-2004, 10:53 PM
Taken from the Dragon*Con website...

Costuming

Director: ?

Brand new for 2004! This programming track has just been added and is still under development, please check back soon for more information.

Does anyone know anything about this track? I'm curious as to what panels they'll be doing and how they'll be handling it. Also, what would you guys be interested in seeing? I know I personally would love a few workshops on hard-to-make items (props especially), or maybe a beginner's sewing panel that teaches newbies how to use patterns, basic stiches, and how to use a sewing machine.

-K

That's a good question. I think I mentioned in another thread that I got a random email one day from someone asking me if I was interested in being on a costuming panel at D*C but after one more reply I never heard back from him again. I asked him what would be involved, and what I would have to do...but no one ever answered me. ;____; It might POSSIBLY be because they have no idea what they're doing yet. If non-costumers are in charge of planning a costume track, they may not know where to start, or what to provide for con-goers.

Come to think of it, maybe I'll go back into my old email and look for that guy's address again. Since there seems to be some buzz going on about it, I'll ask him again.

Ragresen
06-02-2004, 10:41 AM
I got a reply back from the Anime Track head a few days back. I am sure if you bother to Email the Costume Track head they will get back to you. Alot of the tracks are currently in a planning process and I am sure newer ones are trying to just figure out what will work unlike a lot of the older tacks like the star trek one or star wars trek. They pretty much have their usual lay out with a minor chance each year. Newer tracks they have to come up with panels and things to do. I am sure if folks email the head ideas they may use them and with Dragon Con being a convention where costumeing is now one of the draws of the con I am sure they want to do a track that will aid those wantting to get involved or just desire to improve.

kitsunered
06-02-2004, 03:55 PM
Yeah, I asked in the Dragon*Con LJ community and Mike (the head of Brit Track and a friend of mine) responded saying I should e-mail the director of the track as soon as they figure out who it's going to be. *g*

Strangely enough, I know Molly (Anime Track director) as well, though we're not close or anything. Small world. :)

Maybe they were interested in having HealerKou run it or help run it?

-K

kelldar
06-02-2004, 05:14 PM
I was contacted about it too- also haven't heard back, but since I was going anyway no sweat. I'd still be psyched to do it, but I gave up waiting on them and went ahead and pre-registered.

HealerKou
06-06-2004, 04:55 PM
Yeah, I couldn't find the guy's email address again, but like Kell I was already planning to go ages before I was even contacted. ^_^ So it's all good! If they end up having the costume track I'll probably end up going to it one way or another!

kitsunered
07-19-2004, 05:55 PM
Well they've finally chosen the head of the Costuming Track; Brian Holland or Hollard, or something similar. I sent him an e-mail with several questions, so maybe we'll have some updated information soon.

I'd love to be involved in this in some way, regardless of whether I'm helping out or just attending panels.

-K

kitsunered
07-20-2004, 08:32 PM
Here's a copy of the e-mail the Costume Track Director sent in response to my inquiry:

Thanks for your inquiry. As with previous tracks for Dragon*Con, this track is already submitted and locked in so additions are not possible at this time. The full schedule should be available soon.

This track has been requested for several years and it was decided to add it this year. As a professional costumer myself (as well as no work committments during the con time) I was invited to head up the discussions. Since this is the 1st year, we are keepoing things basic so as to allow con-goers to start from the ground up; as it were. Among the offerdd panels this year will be : corsetting, basics for con-costumes, rules for costuming, vacu-forming, life-casting, and mask building. To accommodate everyone and get a better handle on things, we are also circulating flyers during the panels to establish what people liked, what they did not care for, and what they would like to see in future Dragon*Con efforts.

In addition, I have set up MOST of the panels as open forum based on the subject at hand. We will allow everyone a chance to speak, show a few presentations, and exchange general information and ideas. We can use this forum to establish a better presentation next year. With only 2 weeks to put it together (from the time I was given the position to the submittal date for the panels) I wanted a generic series of panels where "experts" could excahnge with "amatuers"

I hope this helps you out some and I welcome any advice or suggestions. But keep in kind that we cannot do much this year in so far as changes. I look forward to seeing you all at the panels. it promises to be fun, entertaining, and educational.

Sincerely---

Brian Holloway
Director of Costuming
Dragon*Con 2004

Ragresen
07-21-2004, 08:09 AM
Vac forming and Lifcasting are among things I want to learn more of. One of my project requires the use of both.

keri1966
07-21-2004, 05:30 PM
If there is a panel on historical costuming I'd love to help out. (besides the obvious corseting connections with historical costuming- I don't make my own corsets, so other than recognizing what is the correct corset form, if any, for a particular period I don't have much hands on expertise in corsetting) I have a very good eye for period details (heh, I'm such a geek about it, I get irritated when I see vintage clothing books/website/museums misdate clothing. I also get irritated when I see historical movies have characters in incorrect period costume- not just European either, I also know Japanese historical costume periods quite well.