PDA

View Full Version : Eyelash curler hints?

Eleryth
06-03-2004, 07:55 AM
I searched the threads about this... I have never used one, and broke down and bought one, after reading about the fake eyelashes and stuff. However, my eyes are really deep set, and I don't know how to hold the thing to get it near my lashes! I've tried numerous times, but I can just barely reach the tip of my lashes. The...um, metal hinge thingy hits my cheeks and won't go any farther (I have big cheeks... >.<). Not to mention I seem to have problems psychologically having it that close to my eyeball. I have seen other people use them no problem, but not recently.

Any tips/advice?

I feel inept. :(

KuroBara
06-04-2004, 12:19 AM
Hmm...I think you just have to angle it differently. I have big cheeks too, I'm one of those girls who never lost the baby fat in their face. I usually hold mine in the air so it's not touching my cheek, but it took some practice. I've been using a curler for about 8 years, so it kind of comes naturally now. I reccomend practicing, or getting someone to help you in person. Maybe a friend, relative, or makeup counter pro?

archangeli
06-04-2004, 12:32 AM
also - not all eyelash curlers are created equal. there are the stupid plastic ones (which i hate, but some people swear by), the metal ones and the "Japonesque" one.

Regardless of which type you use, look for one that has a pad made of surgical rubber, with a rounded surface. Cheap curlers have a flat pad which "crimp" your eyelashes instead of curling them.

The trick is to get your all of your lashes into the space between the pad and the piece that presses agains the pad when you squeeze the curler. It does take a bit of practice to get used to the feeling at first but once you get the hang if it it's a cinch.

Being Asian, my lashes grow straight! I am lucky that they are decent length but because they grown down straight it limits about 1/3 of my vision. If I didn't curl my lashes every morning it'd be a nightmare for me...

There are salons that offer eyelash perming but I would never do that. It's not approved by the FDA and can cause blindness - not good :(

For those of you who want a different approach, there is the Japonesque eyelash curler. This gizmo essentially looks like tweezers. I own one and I love it - it's extremely precise and you can get at each lash. Also, because of the design your cheeks have nothing to do with the curler.

Here's the Japonesque curler. Laura Mercier also sells the SAME one.
http://www.lauramercier.com/site/shoponline/buy_accessories.htm (bottom right)
(for some reason the Japoneque site was dead... meh)

Tweezerman makes a cheaper knockoff. I've never tried this one, but it's worth looking at:
http://www.tweezerman.com/product/productDetails.cfm?prodno=38

Eleryth
06-04-2004, 03:08 AM
That "Japonesque" one looks pretty cool. I think I will have to look around the stores for those.

Thanks for the responses. I feel silly not knowing how to do it, when I used to see my mother use one every morning. >.<

EDIT: I did it!! Yay! Kurobara, I tried what you suggested, and held it away from my face. I found I also had to tip my head back, so my eye was sorta closed, but the lashes were exposed. With a bit of manouevering, I got much closer. Doing the left eye was difficult, though (I'm right handed).

It looks so much different! I like it. Makes my eyes seem bigger.

And thanks archangeli about the different types of curlers. I double-checked to make sure the one I bought has a curved rubber pad. I think I'll still look into that one that looks like tweezers.

I love this board. You guys are the best.

Happy_Hour
06-04-2004, 02:13 PM
I'd give some help but there's none to give XD