PDA

View Full Version : Card Captor Sakura Princess Costume

Soran
06-03-2004, 11:22 AM
Hi People,
This is my second BIG costume. My first was Myao from Rhapsody a musical adventure, and my belldandy is still in prog. (huge wings seem to be a huuuuugeeee headache.) LOL Anyway, the costume is Sakura from the second card captors movie, yes, the hugggeeee froofy bubblegum pink ballgown with wings. Okay, I've got the wings done,(after a slight delay because they were really droopy,) but I need help with the dress itself. What i was thinking was a metal wire sproofage thingy to go underneath, so that part would be done. Now, if you can find a decent pic, you can see the top, where it's once again, froofy. should I make a huge asymetrical froofy skirt with the metal wire sproofage thingy, and then a top? should I make it like that and then connect them? Leave some Ideas!!
Thanks!
---Soran

Soran
06-03-2004, 11:10 PM
AH!! I've just been informed that I have til June 25th to finish the costume I NEED HELP!!!! PLEASE!!
-Soran

Eleryth
06-04-2004, 02:25 AM
Well, for starters, you don't have to make a metal thingy to poof it out - just make a good crinoline.

The best thing to do would be to search patterns and see if there are any you could use to modify for the dress. There are some websites, but there are more patterns in the books at fabric stores than online.

www.simplicity.com
www.mccall.com
www.kwiksew.com
www.sewingpatterns.com

Butterick 3417 is a puffy sleeves pattern, but you'd have to alter it anyway to get the look you want. You might have to combine patterns if you dont see one that has what you want. If you have a body double, you could drape the fabric and make your own pattern. The dress itself shouldn't be too difficult, from what I remember... the skirt has a lot of ruffles, so maybe a large circle skirt cut assymetrically? You could make the skirt and top and then sew them together. I think you have to, to get the right lines. You can use a zipper in the dress to do it up.

Good luck with everything!

Soran
06-04-2004, 12:53 PM
hey thanks for the help... bending coathangers didn't seem like a good idea anyway...
--Soran

DeadLegato
06-04-2004, 05:42 PM
You might want to check the rules of the convention you're going to since you've put all the effort into making these wings. ACEN this year didn't allow any props that extended more than six inches off the body.

Soran
06-04-2004, 06:29 PM
hmmm... interesting. I already made the wings, they're a bit on the dinky side, (wingspan of 26 inches.) but why would ACEN do that? minumum of six inches?! note to self: don't go to that with belldandy costume.
-soran

Fatwetdog
06-06-2004, 05:11 AM
For the skirt, maybe a hoop skirt would help. You can buy them on ebay most of the time. Layer a crinoline or a petticoat over it to hide the hoop marks.

Acen's rule was 6" for costumes, 4' for props. Your wings probably count as a prop for such purposes. But be courteous with them... I'm still annoyed with the Rosiel who kept smacking me in the face in the dealer's room and knocking bits of my costume off with his giant unwieldy wings. ^_^