PDA

View Full Version : sex box - ps2 - lame cube

engrish
11-26-2002, 01:43 PM
Who's going to win this 3 way slug fest and become the dominent console? I'm putting my money on the sony playstation 2, even though I haven't bought any one of them yet.
Here's my analysis:

1)sex box - backed by a very powerful corporation(much like Shinra from FF7) but Microsoft is evil! It's bad enough they have a monoply with their OS, what next world domination?

2)lame cube - I'm sorry but despite the advances in technology Nintendo still looks like it's stuck in the 80's in the Mushroom Kingdom with the Mario Brothers being the company poster boys.

3)sony playstation 2 PS2 - the anti bootlegging technology is more advanced but one of the things that got me hooked on the original PS was how easy it was to weld a mod chip and burn games woo hoooo

go Sony

psythe
11-26-2002, 01:48 PM
Sony Consoles in use - 18 million plus at last count

Xbox and Gamecube combined do not equal half of that.

Xbox technically impresses me, I have played DOA3 on my friends big screen through the HDTV hookup in widescreen mode and it is very sharp and impressive. But Xbox has no game support for me right now.

Gamecube is anything but Lame, they have tons of great titles out and more coming. This year alone sees many franchise titles such as Zelda and Metroid coming back. Nintendo still continues to show that they have some of the most unique and creative game designers working for them.

Sony will win unless they do something extremely stupid business wise, just based on their backwards compatibility and their huge user base as of now.

Recca-kun
11-26-2002, 01:49 PM
I like the PS2 the best of those three, but to be fair you have to call it the "PS 2" phonetically as opposed to "P S 2". :angel2:

Cassandra
11-26-2002, 01:52 PM
Considering that the PS2 has been out for about 2 years now, it's not exactly fair to compare it to the GC and the Xbox. (Though everyone does because it's Sony's cashcow right now.)

To be honest, I own all three. None of them dominate though. The GC has some pretty fun games (Animal Crossing and Beach Spikers) but it doesn't play DVDs. The Xbox plays DVDs well, Xbox Live is some pretty amazing stuff, but it doesn't have as many good RPGs as I would like. The PS2 has some really good RPGs (which I usually play) and it can play PSOne games...however, it's a low quality DVD player and the console itself is getting pretty old (in console years, anyway).

So, I don't much favor one over the other. All my consoles are used about the same amount of time.

Rey-Rey
11-26-2002, 01:53 PM
It's all about games when it comes down to systems winning the battle.

With that said, I think Sony will win the battle in the end.

X-Box is kinda suspect but you can't really go wrong with any of the games all three systems have released.

katchoo
11-26-2002, 01:57 PM
I have all three also, but I play my XBox and PS2 more. Why is that....well because Nintendo has taken it's sweet time putting out the games that I want. But I think this holiday season will be won by Nintendo and Sony. Nintendo is cheaper for all the parents that haven't gotten the system for their kids, and you can always get a mario game.
* I really really wish XBOX had more RPGs. But I LOVE DOA3

Rey-Rey
11-26-2002, 01:59 PM
In the American market, sports games are huge. And that's where the X-Box shines through. Don't forget the sports market here as they sell the most here in the U.S.

Hungryjack
11-26-2002, 01:59 PM
I have a PS2 and there's still the cheerleader side of me who wants "my" system to beat out all the others, but then I realized that for $550, I could have all three at once.

I'm not in High School anymore, I can do whatever I feel like.

Alaria
11-26-2002, 02:00 PM
hmm, now that Square is going to make RPGs for Game Cube, do u think Nintendo will do better?

Celine
11-26-2002, 02:06 PM
Xbox games are very impressive looking, and the system is so powerful. However, there just isn't anything screaming "BUY ME NOW" so I don't really have an interest in the system. Microsoft is still appealing more to PC gamers than console gamers, so they aren't really working to attract a wider audience. That's their mistake. They really need stronger third party support. Like more exclusive Sega titles.

The Gamecube also has some really beautiful titles (Metroid!) and a lot of promise. However, it also doesn't have a very large or exciting library at the current time. I *hope* that some of the games it is getting (Zelda, Arcadia Legends) turn out to be very good. Right now, though, it isn't exciting for me. It is really cute though, and I love the itty bitty discs. ^_^

PS2 is definitely a weaker system. The animation and graphics I see on recent PS2 games just cannot compare with the other systems. That's mostly because the system is older. Which is good in some aspects, since it has a more established and larger library. The PS2 also has the sort of games I like- RPGs. I'm quite satisfied with the games I own for it so far.

psythe
11-26-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Alaria
hmm, now that Square is going to make RPGs for Game Cube, do u think Nintendo will do better?

They might benefit from it, most people I know with a Gamecube also own a PS2....so who knows, it's about time Square got back on Nintendo systems though :)

Babbit_Chan
11-26-2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Alaria

If that's the case, it'll definitely open up some new profit for the GC.

I think the PS 2 and the GC will have to battle it out a little longer to see the winner in the end. Xbox is pretty powerful, but not enough to compete with the other two with the hold they've had on the console standings for the past few years.

Alaria
11-26-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by psyth3
it's about time Square got back on Nintendo systems though :)

lol, I blame Nintendo for being pissy with the Mario RPG game Square made for them.

psythe
11-26-2002, 02:54 PM
I loved Super Mario RPG!

engrish
11-26-2002, 04:23 PM
from what I heard technologically speaking the X-box is the superior system. However in the world of business we all know that pricing, timing, and marketing can make or break a product. This is where the PS 2 has the edge. It was released at a time when the economy was pretty sweet. We all know that the holiday season is a big time for shopping for toys, but it's going to be hard for the X-box and the Game cube to play catch up with this economy. well anyways that's my theory lets wait and see

anime~prince
11-26-2002, 04:30 PM
nintedo gamecube blows. once you've beat bloody roar and mele whats left? nothing. and when they release zelda its going to be cartoon version and its got horrable graphics and its going to blow. not to mention the lack of burning and of dvd uses. x-box is good for net gaming but lacks the umph to that ps2 has besides you know when they come out with ps3 (not till at least 2004) its going to be more compatable than the others. ps2 is equiped with wicked rpgs. (most are japan only) but they still rule. x-box is also owned by microsoft which we know is the devil. bill gates is anyway and it just keeps coming out with football and ps2 games. my vote is cast to the ps2 i suggest you wait untill februray to buy it though (as i said there arent any systems coming out till 2004) and prices always go down

Rey-Rey
11-26-2002, 04:40 PM
"nintedo gamecube blows"

Uhhhh, no.

Metroid Prime, Super Mario Sunshine, Beach Spikers, most of the sports games, Resident Evil, Animal Crossing, etc., etc.

GameCube, while lacking in quantity, surely has the quality. I think it's a force out there in the video game industry.

"x-box is also owned by microsoft which we know is the devil"

Are you jealous because he's so damn rich? Anyway, regardless of who owns X-Box, it's the most powerful system of the three, technologically. After a fast start, they've slowed down a bit but I think they'll be okay. Their sports games look the best PLUS don't forget their early games like Halo, DOA3, etc. Plus they'll have some of the Sega games exclusively. Maybe later on, they'll be even more of a force if they play some of their cards right.

And, yes, I do agree that PS2 is probably doing the best out there but I don't think you should count any of these systems out.

TyJILDown
11-26-2002, 05:31 PM
I only own Gamecube out of all 3 of the new systems...

X-box, I never intend to buy that system anytime in the future. I really don't have any interest in their games*lack of variety* and the controller is another big turn off, yes I do realize there is an adapter to hook your PS1/PS2 controllers to it...but still. The software is indeed impressive, of course it will be when it was created by such a large computer giant such as Microsoft, it will have tons of room to expand in the future allowing bigger and better things to happen with only one system. One feature I do like about the X-box is that the controller cord separates mid way, allowing it to disconnect, instead of pulling the system with you if someone trips on the cord...I'm a clutz so no wonder why I like it! *broke original NES like this as a kid*

PS2 definatly has the game selection behind them, VERY successful system overall. They have everythying, able to cater to any game guru out there, may it be the younger audiences or the older hardcore gamer. I plan on buying this in the future obviously for the games, only have gotten to borrow it from friends and was quite content with the system, as I had already liked the original.

As for Gamecube, I grew up on all Nintendo systems and am partial to them. I find them a bit more "fun" when it comes to games, great for any age out there. They have such classic characters like the Mario Bros, Link, Samus, etc. All good games...don't start with the "GC Zelda sucks because the graphics are shit", I'm not judging anything until I play it, I haven't been let down by Zelda games...haven't played Majora's Mask =P The controller for this system happens to be the easiest and more comfortable out of all of the others in my opinion. I'm also happy with the graphics as well compared to N64.

Babbit_Chan
11-26-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by anime~prince
nintedo gamecube blows. once you've beat bloody roar and mele whats left? nothing. and when they release zelda its going to be cartoon version and its got horrable graphics and its going to blow. not to mention the lack of burning and of dvd uses. x-box is good for net gaming but lacks the umph to that ps2 has besides you know when they come out with ps3 (not till at least 2004) its going to be more compatable than the others. ps2 is equiped with wicked rpgs. (most are japan only) but they still rule. x-box is also owned by microsoft which we know is the devil. bill gates is anyway and it just keeps coming out with football and ps2 games. my vote is cast to the ps2 i suggest you wait untill februray to buy it though (as i said there arent any systems coming out till 2004) and prices always go down

You have to remember certain genres come with certain consoles. RPG gamers will generally flock to the PS2, but because GC has much more variety, GC gets a lot of different gamers. You can't say that it "blows" just because the only games YOU like on it only add up to two. You're forgetting a lot of Nintendo supporters of old. For the record, Zelda may have taken on a new face, but it's still Zelda nonetheless and we can still expect great things from it despite its looks.

Like Rey-Rey said - X-box is the most powerful of all and the sports loving gamers have absolutely no problem with that. More for them.

DJ(SiC)ness
11-26-2002, 06:45 PM
I was at the frontline of the console wars (who remembers that?)
I went to everyone i knew, and many i didn't know, and i told them the tech of each console and what the can and can't do. I was set on PS2 winning the war.

err it was a though time, but as always PS2 came out the winner.

I would never buy an X box, its just a piece of shit, its that simple.
Game Cube....ok Game Cube is good for one thing and one thing only Nintendo games...Mario,Zelda, Metroid, stuff like that. Thats why im buying a game cube becuase i already have a PS2 and i grew up with nintendo! And by the way anime~prince the new zelda dosen't suck, i was like you untill last saturday when i got a chance to play it. I was furious at nintendo i wasen't even going to buy it, i was so damn mad. But than i played it, its wonderful. But it still would of been nice to see good ol Super Smash Bros. Melee Link

Cassandra
11-26-2002, 07:01 PM
From my gamer husband about Metroid Prime:

The graphics for Prime....very nice.

The story....seems decent so far...

The gameplay.....suffers....

The controls....can suck my wang. They make the gameplay suffer....badly. More and more I wish they just made it for the PC.

So I wouldn't use that as a reason to buy a GC. And why do you say Xbox sucks, DJ?

TyJILDown
11-26-2002, 09:47 PM
The thing is, everyone has their own opinions on this topic, it varies on the person which platform they perfer, what games they think are good etc. I personally love Metroid Prime and find the controls easy with GC.

It's not really fair to say anything sucks one way or anything, you can say you dislike a platform/game for a reason with information to back it up, just don't say that's it's crap because to other's it isn't. Yea, I'm not a huge X-box fan as a I mentioned, but it does have -some- good points, still doesn't make me want to go out and buy one.

Michi
11-27-2002, 06:51 AM
Eeeeee. Guess what. I don't care. :D Console wars are so dumb. I've got a GameCube 'cause my brother wanted one for his birthday in June and got it, along with Super Smash Bros Melee. Great game. He later got Super Mario Sunshine this year, another very fun game. ^_^ There's a few titles I want too, like Sonic Mega Collection. *_* I'm asking for a PS2 for Christmas because I STILL don't have one. I have a PSone. I want a PS2 for a few fighting games and some RPGs.
But I know I'll still play my Dreamcast and PlayStation and the like. Because I'm not going to stick to just one system and be close minded about it. I like GAMES. I do prefer some companies. But I wouldn't stick to just one.

Err, and as for Xbox? It doesn't have anything I care about much yet... Well, it does, but they're available on the other systems too. Dead or Alive is pretty.. but I can play it at my friend's house. *shrug* Not enough for me to want one yet. *nods*

I'm sorry if that was hard to read, it's nearly 4 am and I'm sick. ^.^;

Oshi
11-27-2002, 09:27 AM
I proudly own a Gamecube, PS2, and still play my Dreamcast...

XBox, however, seems to be going to shit. They lack any 3rd party support... it's all 1st and 2nd.
One would think they're going the same way as 3DO... But, knowing M$, they're just gonna pump more money into it.
Bad idea, Bill. You're already losing $100 per XBox sold right now.

So, yeah, Gamecube is my primary system, PS2 is DDR and RPG only, and Dreamcast is my "classic system"

*sigh*... I still never thought I'd see the day that Nintendo, Sega, and Sony would share the top of my TV... ^^;;

Oh yeah, and... *smacks anime~prince for giving such a weak arguement on Gamecube*

Sami
11-27-2002, 09:39 AM
I really don't like X-Box, only because it's Microshaft and I'm sure they just want to elbow their way into the gaming industry just to make another buck. That and the controller looks like it was designed by an elephant. :P

I just recently bought a PS2 and am thrilled with it! ^__^ Lots of cool games, wonderful graphics, KINGDOM HEARTS! (And Suikoden III once I get it..) However, the GameCube just has SO many fun prospects; Super Mario Sunshine, Animal Crossing, Mario Party, Metroid Prime.. I really may pick one up in the future if I have enough money, just because. ^_^

Cassandra
11-27-2002, 09:41 AM
There's a lot of gamers that like Xbox now that Xbox live is out. There were 150,000 units of Live sold THE FIRST WEEK. That's more than the number of NICs that Sony even made for the PS2.

And the Steel Battalion game, which cost $200, sold out. Add in the fact that a majority of the games that are slated to come out for the Xbox for the next year or so are Live compatible....that's a pretty big deal.

Cassandra
11-27-2002, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Oshi
I
XBox, however, seems to be going to shit. They lack any 3rd party support... it's all 1st and 2nd.

3rd party xbox support:

Capcom
Sega
Bioware
Digital Extremes
Ubi Soft

And this is just the small list that I can think of off the top of my head....

engrish
11-27-2002, 12:04 PM
Dead or Alive was so so. I just played it on my sister's X-box. Once you get past the tits and ass there's really not much there. *shrugs*

Rey-Rey
11-27-2002, 05:20 PM
Don't say it sucks just because you don't like it. You'd better have a good reason to say why it sucks. And, no, Bill Gates is evil isn't good enough. -__-

I'm not going to respond to this topic again until I see some INTELLIGENT conversation on why so-and-so "sucks".

DJ(SiC)ness
11-27-2002, 05:57 PM
reasons for why X box sucks

Lack of gaming support, alot of companies don't want to work with microsoft becuase Bill Gates is very demanding and is very "this how i want it, so that how your going to make it". X box may have a good graphics engine but i have yet to see anything that mindblowing, but the thing about reduceing loading time by saving memory from games into the X box...becuase X box is just on big comp it gets very slow over time. Also Since X box is like a big comp, it is very easily hacked into threw XBOX live, and knowing microsoft they won't doing anything about it. They will just use it to there advantage to make you buy a XBOX 2 (just like Windows ME and Windows XP).

excuse my french but....FUCK MICROSOFT!!!!

if you like XBOX good for you, i just don't

Babbit_Chan
11-27-2002, 06:04 PM
DJ: When was 'fuck microsoft' French? ^^;

Is any of this helping out the thread starter? (I think it was Engrish o_O)

Cassandra
11-27-2002, 06:07 PM
Hmmm...we've played our Xbox a lot...and saved quite a bit of data (songs as well as games) and have yet to notice a slowdown. And there is no lack of gaming support. I'd love to know why people think that. Some more 3rd party companies on Xbox? OK:

Electronic Arts
Konami
Lucasarts
Acclaim
Activision
Midway
id Software

So where's the lack of support?

Rey-Rey
11-27-2002, 06:08 PM
I'll say it again: sports games.

Cassandra
11-27-2002, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Rey-Rey
I'll say it again: sports games.

Did you see NFL2K3? That was some sweet video streaming :D The guy from ESPN doing his thing. (I don't watch sports but I saw the game at a party.....it was awesome.)

Rey-Rey
11-27-2002, 06:20 PM
NFL2K3 and NBA2K3 look absolutely beautiful for the Box. And playing it LIVE is awesome, too. The beauty of multi-playing.

Heh, I remember that my initial gripe for the PS2 was that they didn't have FOUR controller slots for the system. That discourages the companies to make multiplayer games for Sony's little gizmo. But, hey, ya can't have everything. *shrugs*

Oshi
11-27-2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Cassandra
3rd party xbox support:

Capcom
Sega
Bioware
Digital Extremes
Ubi Soft

And this is just the small list that I can think of off the top of my head.... Okay, correction, they have pretty weak 3rd Party support... Capcom pours more to PS2, Sega more to Nintendo... etc... I dunno... Just like, every XBox game you see, is ONLY for Xbox... Prolly cuz Microsoft won't have it any other way. This is bad for business, I'm sure the developers would want to port it to, say, PS2 also and make a LOT more money. M$ is gonna lose allies this way, I'm telling ya...

Cassandra
11-27-2002, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Oshi
Just like, every XBox game you see, is ONLY for Xbox... Prolly cuz Microsoft won't have it any other way.

That's not true either. There's Burnout, SSX Tricky, 007: Die Another Day, BloodRayne, Robotech Battlecry, Spider-Man, Dead to Rights, TimeSplitters 2, Haven: Call of the King, BMX XXX, First Blood...should I research further and find more titles? ;)

psythe
11-27-2002, 08:48 PM
All Xbox fans can call me what they will. But having Microsoft dole out cash just to pull the rug out from under everyone on titles like Halo, and Citizen Zero, which were supposed to be for PC, but are now Xbox only, is not the way to make me buy their console.

Sorry had to rant, rant over.

Cassandra
11-27-2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by psyth3
All Xbox fans can call me what they will. But having Microsoft dole out cash just to pull the rug out from under everyone on titles like Halo, and Citizen Zero, which were supposed to be for PC, but are now Xbox only, is not the way to make me buy their console.

Sorry had to rant, rant over.

That's fine...but both of those titles are slated to come out on PC sometime in 2003....

psythe
11-27-2002, 08:53 PM
Yes I know, we will get Halo 1 just in time for the Xbox to get Halo 2.

*sigh* :(

Cassandra
11-27-2002, 09:01 PM
Same thing happened with the PS2/PC release of Grand Theft Auto. The PC version came out a few months before Vice City started to really get marketed. (About 6 months before VC actually came out.) And, unless things have changed recently, Vice City will never be on the PC....

psythe
11-27-2002, 09:03 PM
Whoa, hold up, when is Citizen Zero being released on the PC Cassandra? I was under the impression it had been yanked. This would make me very happy :D

Cassandra
11-27-2002, 09:06 PM
I haven't seen any news on it being pulled....there's no "real" release date (meaning that it just says 2003) but nothing saying it's not going forward...

psythe
11-27-2002, 09:08 PM
*crosses fingers* ^^v

DJ(SiC)ness
11-27-2002, 10:20 PM
Hmmm...we've played our Xbox a lot...and saved quite a bit of data (songs as well as games) and have yet to notice a slowdown. And there is no lack of gaming support. I'd love to know why people think that. Some more 3rd party companies on Xbox? OK:

Electronic Arts
Konami
Lucasarts
Acclaim
Activision
Midway
id Software

So where's the lack of support?

last time i checked most of the games that those companies made for XBox where already on PS2 for at least 3 months before they were on Xbox. But Rey Rey is right they have alot of sports games, and thats big right now...but so does PS2.

Cassandra
11-27-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by DJ(SiC)ness
last time i checked most of the games that those companies made for XBox where already on PS2 for at least 3 months before they were on Xbox. But Rey Rey is right they have alot of sports games, and thats big right now...but so does PS2.

Not really. A lot of them are on multiple platforms, yes....but a lot of them weren't on the PS2 first. A majority of games come out on all three platforms at the same time. (Obviously, since the PS2 came out first there are games that were there first and then ported over to GC and Xbox later....but that's just because the PS2 is older.)

engrish
11-28-2002, 04:23 PM
What? did someone say the PS 3 is coming out in 2004? I checked the official sony playstation site but didn't see that advertised.

Anyways if you're a hard core gamer you're probably going to buy all 3 consoles so what sucks the most or least doesn't really matter at least from the companies perspective since they got your money already. But I'm guessing that most people are only going to buy one console. So this is where the outcome of the console wars will be decided.

I heard one big advantage of the X-box is that it's more suited for online gaming. I guess online gaming is suppose to be the hot new trend in gaming or so they say. who knows? hell if I knew for sure then I'd know where to put my stocks:)

Babbit_Chan
11-28-2002, 09:46 PM
I guess it all depends on what system them sports gamers want to use.

SailorAndromeda
11-29-2002, 12:38 AM
Ok my two cents.
We own a Gamecube (love it) and just recently got a PS 2... mostly to play Kingdom Hearts ^^
One of the many things I love about Gamecube is the fact that four of us can play a game at the same time, such as Melee, Super Monkey Ball (1 and 2), and Mario Party. This makes for much fun at parties and get togethers. Another reason is the games out for Gamecube and coming out. They're just plain fun, IMO. Sure, the new Zelda doesn't look like the ones we're used to, but that's because they wanted to branch out and make something new and different. They also didn't want it to look just like Final Fantasy or something. Another reason? it's compact and easy to take along with us. This is very nice when you travel between houses and friends. Obviously, I love Nintendo and GameCube. I also love Playstation though, but mostly for the DDR and RPGs. Though I must say, I'm not really blown away by FFX, but maybe it's because I played Kingdom Hearts first, and since FFX came out way before...well, it shows, at least in my opinion. (I still like the game though, don't get me wrong)
Now, XBOX.... I can't say much about it. I don't own one. Nor will I. My husband hates it, but I have never played it, so I won't say that. There are a few titles that interest me, but not enough to buy it (like PS2). I don't have any interest on playing games online, so I wouldn't buy it for that. I don't play sports games either. So to me, it has no interest. I'm glad that people do enjoy their Xboxes though ^^
So to sum up: Love my GameCube, love my PS 2. but then again, I love games in general :)

Ohmi
11-29-2002, 01:40 AM
The only force in the console wars that counts is $$$.. Let's just do some numbers shall we? PS2 has over 40 million consoles sold world wide.. Xbox is around 8 million.. Game Cube is also somewhere around 7-8 million..

Sony wins no matter what.. Game over!
I own all 3 systems and I see strengths in all 3. When the next console generation rolls around I'll be interested to see what happens. I actually thought Nintendo would have a bigger market share than it does.

DJ(SiC)ness
11-29-2002, 03:44 AM
yeah i thought nintendo would have a bigger market too, but they have been very slow at putting things out. SO alot of people aren't to excited by it.

Cassandra
11-29-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Ohmi
The only force in the console wars that counts is $$$.. Let's just do some numbers shall we? PS2 has over 40 million consoles sold world wide.. Xbox is around 8 million.. Game Cube is also somewhere around 7-8 million..

Sony wins no matter what.. Game over!
I own all 3 systems and I see strengths in all 3. When the next console generation rolls around I'll be interested to see what happens. I actually thought Nintendo would have a bigger market share than it does.

Again, the PS2 WOULD have higher numbers. It's been out for like 2 years longer! Obviously the numbers would be higher.

Tifa
11-29-2002, 12:17 PM
These guys at school I know who side with XBox, and hate PS2, took a poll at school, and PS2 barely won. Anyway, I think XBox is just a bigger copy of PS2. I don't like Game Cube, either, but at least it's different from PS2 and other platforms. It's pretty convinient that it's portable, and some people just don't care about it being DVD compatible; I really don't care about Game Cube, even if they really do need to get better games..but XBox is just a waste of time. Why not just release more games for PS2; it'd probably make more money sooner. And there's already a lot of online games, so why buy an expensive platform to play more online games? Well, that's just my opinion that I share with most of my friends who actually play video games..

Babbit_Chan
11-29-2002, 11:31 PM
>Why not just release more games for PS2; it'd probably make more money sooner. And there's already a lot of online games, so why buy an expensive platform to play more online games?

Maybe because some game producers like certain consoles? (my guess XD) I wonder if people buy the Xbox because it's more powerful than say playing it on a regular PC? *has no idea - no one shoot me*

Tifa
11-30-2002, 04:43 PM
*won't shoot you* I wouldn't know anyway, really..I've never played PC games..

ClutZGurl
12-01-2002, 12:25 AM
Blehhh console wars. I don't care about them much, either. *hi-5 to Michi*

I only have one of those three (it being a PS2) and am getting a GameCube come this Christmas. I don't think I could ever outgrow the GC and its games because they're very...ummm, party-pleasing? They're good to bring up for parties and whatnot. Yeah, there you go. And my PS2 sucks because it's one of the first gen. ones that have a hard time playing DVD-ROM games. But yes, I'm pleased with the PS2 because of the RPGs and a few fighting games.

I think the only one I don't care about is the X-Box, and that's because I'm just not a big fan of sports video games. I always thought playing the sport was better XP

And I'm still thinking of getting a japanese PS2 so I could play KH Final Mix when that comes out, and my random Bemani games that I currently HAVE but can't play. @_@

Blah. Whatever, I still love my old school Nintendo, and my Turbo Grafx the most. BONK AND SPY VS. SPY RUUUUULES!!! Oh, and occasionally I'd borrow my friend's Sega Saturn so I could play NiGHTS into Dreams. That game is awesome. Sega's Dreamcast is good for fighting games... although it gets a little boring after a while.

Ohmi
12-01-2002, 08:24 AM
Again, the PS2 WOULD have higher numbers. It's been out for like 2 years longer! Obviously the numbers would be higher.

Of course it has been out longer.. and yes that would account for more numbers.. but there's also a few other factors. If you look at the Dreamcast it was out long before PS2.. and it lost to PS2. The PS2 has a natural advantage now because of the sheer number of units sold. Game companies will fall all over themselves to make games for it because if only 1/40th of the PS2 gamers buy it.. you've got a million seller!! And this sort of thing leads to a cyclical system where more people buy PS2s for the more and more software coming out for it. The other limiting factor for Xbox and Gamecube is that the market has real trouble supporting 3 systems. Many people will only have 1 or 2 systems.. and with how many PS2s are on the market.. I assume that the 1 system is PS2 most of the time. So in essence Xbox and Gamecube are fighting for the scraps left over.

If you wanna talk about personal preference.. I'd like Xbox to win since it has the best rendering technology as well as ram etc. I'd love to see everyone develop for it but I don't think that'll happen just yet. My favorite recent system is actually Dreamcast.. going back further.. probably SNES.

Cassandra
12-01-2002, 10:17 AM
Ah, but the Dreamcast was marketed wrong. Much like other Sega consoles, it was never REALLY marketed. There wasn't a mad dash to get one like there was for the PS2. We didn't even buy one until about two years ago when the price dropped. (And considering how my husband feels about video games...that's a big deal.) And the only person I knew that owned one was JohnBooty.

There's never really been a "big" Sega console. (And I'm talking big in comparison to other consoles....even the NES or PSOne sold more.)

Studmaster
12-01-2002, 11:02 AM
Well, there are many reasons to why the PS2 beat the DC so badly in the 2000 hoiliday season, and it sure wasn't that SEGA didn't try (at least here in the States) to the market the thing. There's only so much you can do sadly with a 350 million in marketing with it's two major Holiday Seasons, when you're nearly a Billion in debt and going up against a Corporate Giant. Not to metion that there was minscule marketing in the off seasons, while Sony had every Magazine and their mama hyping the shit out of the thing. It was one of the smartest marketing campeigns ever. Since the PS2 was literally nothing more than a glorified DVD player with such a shitty software lineup that the funk off of it didn't escape until this year IMO. It's a shame too, since it proves that the games are second to hype and gimmicks. But that's just ranting.

Cassandra: There has been one big SEGA console....Genesis. Remember it sold very well in USA compared to the SNES, and while it got owned in Japan, it won in Europe pretty much handily. So SEGA has had big time success with a console. Too bad they pissed it away with the 32X and the Super Shitty Saturn Launch. (The SEGA CD would've been recoverable if it was the only one of these "upgrades")

As for what I perfer and want to win...neither!! And I personally want Sony to "lose" it's dominating marketing share, and for MS to become an equal player at least in the US and Europe. With Nintendo saying that it really doesn't want to compete with Sony for Market Share, MS is the only thing keeping Sony from having a Monopoly. And seeing how badly designed the PS2 was, and how long it was kept at 300 now, this would not be a good thing at all.

Cassandra
12-01-2002, 11:34 AM
Hmm....I don't really consider the Genesis all that big. I mean, we're talking about a time when everyone I knew, even back then, owned one of the big N consoles. Then everyone moved to the Playstation. Of all the people I knew, not one owned a Genesis. Maybe in the "gamer" circles it was considered big....but in the general public, I don't think it was....

psythe
12-01-2002, 11:43 AM
>>>It's a shame too, since it proves that the games are second to hype and gimmicks. But that's just ranting.

Amen, Studmaster.

Studmaster
12-01-2002, 12:02 PM
Wow, that's funny Cassandra, because back where I lived in Brooklyn, the Genesis was the thing to own. It seemed like everyone I knew had a Genesis, and the more serious people about gaming had a Super Nintendo as well. And these people were gamers, they were Casuals about the thing.

And as for numbers...The Genesis sold more than 20 million in this country if I can remember last. IT's look upon as a Gamers Console today, but it wasn't back then IIRC.

Cassandra
12-01-2002, 12:06 PM
Well, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt then and say Sega had *one* good console then.

(EDIT: I like the Dreamcast, don't get me wrong...I just think it was completely marketed wrong.)

Studmaster
12-01-2002, 12:11 PM
Well, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt then and say Sega had *one* good console then.

(EDIT: I like the Dreamcast, don't get me wrong...I just think it was completely marketed wrong.)

Don't worry that was never a question about the DC (and I agree with you). I was strictly talking in terms of sales figures of SEGA consoles.

Deathscythe
12-01-2002, 01:13 PM
Ah, the Genesis. One of the greatest systems ever. I remember the rivalry between Sega and Nintendo back in the day. Those were the best man. But I always loved the Genesis due to Street Fighter 2: Champion Edition. After that, we all knew Sega was destined to be the king of all fighters when it came to....well.....fighting games.

I personally think neither should win. Every system has its perks. Just look at the PS2 at launch on October 26, 2000. It was one of the shittiest launches ever. But just like Studmaster pointed out, they had all of the gaming mags hype the crap out of it and everyone HAD to buy one. Then came the fact that the system was being sold for 500 bucks at launch date at certain places. People still got one just because of word-of-mouth-syndrome. Then Sony barely shipped out any systems knowing that it was gonna be a big launch day for them. Then the system itself was crap because most of them fried after a good DVD movie. Thus everyone felt very skeptical about the PS2.

Also, just like Studmaster said, the stink didn't rub off of this system until this year when all of the good games started coming out. I was kind of skeptical as well because some of the games were crap when I got mines(November of 2001). All I had was Twisted Metal Black, Metal Gear Solid 2 and FFX. I didn't play Devil May Cry until this past summer. Great game. So yes, it was one of the greatest games 2001 delivered for the PS2. Other than that, there wasn't much. Then we enter 2002 with Kingdom Hearts being announced and a whole slew of video games that would end up being some of the best.

So when you look at it, Sony isn't actually perfect. Rough start, great marketing, crappy games, people still got one. But it still doesn't mean its out of the woods yet.

Then there was the GameCube. A few games, a pretty good launch day, but not enough to withstand the might of the PS2. Why? Because the PS2 had a one year advantage against Nintendo. Then came 2002. One year later. Some of its best games starting coming out. Resident Evil 1 gets re-released with new stunning graphics that put MGS2 and anything Sony has to shame. The fans foam at the mouth. But of course at that same time Kingdom Hearts was about to come out. So it seems that Nintendo might have another thorn on their side. Amazingly the creator of the RE series started complaining about how Kingdom Hearts was recieving more hype than the highly anticipated RE re-release. But what was there to complain about? People still ran out and got the RE re-release for the GameCube and enjoyed it with its all new graphics. Mario Sunshine was then released and we all knew what was gonna happen here. It was a long time since Mario starred in his own game. Everyone was wondering why Mario hasn't been in his own game for the GC. After all, Mario 64 came out during the launch day for the N64. Amazingly Nintendo let Luigi have his turn with Luigi's Mansion which wasn't that bad of a game. Great graphics and some good puzzles. Mario is released and everyone is back on gaming heaven. This is one of Nintendo's finest games. Ever. And now everyone is busy with Metroid Prime and Resident Evil Zero. So Nintendo is having a pretty good year.

Microsoft would never have imagined that they would be in the console wars. I guess it was time for Microsoft to try something new. And they did. The Toys R' Us over here in NYC was hyping it up to high heaven. People were lining up outside in the cold just to see Bill Gates and purchase his new creation. People got their Xbox's, played Halo and thought it would be the beginning of a new era. But guess what? There's still that corporate giant named Sony out there. With Sony's system reaching nearly every home in the U.S. of A, Microsoft couldn't compete with that at launch date. They had very few games to offer while Sony had a whole arsenal of games racked up in their library. Halo went on to become one of the best games at launch for Microsoft. So in the end, MS had something to be happy for. Then MS got the ever-so-loved DOA3 exclusively for the system and it was one of the fighters the PS2 was supposed to have. But, unfortunately, MS gained the upperhand and got DOA3 first. It was one of the most beautiful looking fighters ever. The graphics were crisp, clear and made Tekken Tag Tournament look like utter crap. We are now approaching the end of this remarkable year for Sony. The holiday shopping season has begun. It seems Sony is in the lead now. And it seems that this Xmas season will be a Sony Xmas indeed. I mean, just look at the games being released for the holidays and just look at some of the big titles that are going to go into Greatest Hits mode. With some of the biggest titles in their library at a cheap price and even more games being released, what could Sony possibly lose? Well, MS can't end this year without something big. And that came in the form of RARE being purchased from Nintendo for $375 million dollars. Some say it was in cash. Oh, and we can't forget the supposed MGS killer: Splinter Cell. We'll just have to wait and see how this game turns out because it already looks great. I guess 2003 will something to look forward to in terms of the Xbox. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

So, in the end, of course Sony will win due to its smart money making strategy.

DJ(SiC)ness
12-01-2002, 01:53 PM
its weird i hear people always saying how shity first gen PS2's are, i have never had a problim.

Mine first Gen. it sucks i pre-ordered mine over a year before it came out, and i still had to fight to get it since sony fucked up.

Tifa
12-02-2002, 07:02 PM
I really didn't understand a word of that at all..

DJ(SiC)ness
12-02-2002, 07:33 PM
damn ...lol
i ask myself everyday why im in Honors English classes

Tifa
12-02-2002, 07:42 PM
Wow, that scares me; lol.

Broken_Wings
12-05-2002, 09:19 PM
This is for you, engrish! I saw your comments about Microsoft/Shinra/Etc, and I thought I'd throw this in. I made it for a friend of mine who loves Final Fantasy and is paranoid as hell about Bill Gates and the XBox. Enjoy :thumbsup:

engrish
12-06-2002, 05:13 PM
ha ha that's funny. Aside from OS and video games MicroShaft is now getting into enterprise software, no I'm not talking about Star Trek. Enterprise software is business software, software that large companies would buy not what mere mortals like you and I could ever touch.

btw my friend offered to sell his X Box to me for $100. That seemed like a very strange offer considering they sell for double that and I know he's not short on money so why sell it? strange

the source
12-06-2002, 05:49 PM
::takes a deep breath:: ok ok ok. listen as i sit here and gaze upon my systems allow me to list those that i see. i see my original NES, my super NES, my nintendo 64, my Dreamcast, my PS2, my Gamecube and nearby is my little GBA. do i see an X-box? no. will i ever? absoluetly not. now do not get me wrong. i did not by pass the x-box simply because it was microsoft because i did not. it is just when i look at the games that i want to play the PS2 and Gamecube have all the games that i want. i mean lets face the hard facts here. if it was not for Halo X-box would have already been in the bargin bins. i mean the scopes are impressive and it may be one hell of a powerful machine but then again so is my computer. listen i buy systems for games and not for specs. but then again give me my good ol super nintendo any day....................THE BEST SYSTEM EVER.

Cassandra
12-06-2002, 06:47 PM
That's not true. There's a LOT of gamers out there that bought the Xbox for MechAssault. And they sold out of Steel Battalion....
Once Xbox Live debuted, a lot of gamers bought the system.

(And the voice thing for Live is pretty damn cool.)