PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of Blackheads?

Pretty_Kitty
06-05-2004, 07:39 AM
I'm not sure if these things are blackheads or not, but around my nose I have a lot of little black dots. I tried temporarily getting rid of them with Biore Deep Cleansing Pore Strips, but they come back after a couple of days and they make the skin around my nose peel. :sulk:

Is there a better way to either cover this up with makeup or get rid of them all together?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a good facial lotion? My face gets extremely dry after I wash it, and I hate use my regular body lotion since it has a fragrance.

*Mana*
06-05-2004, 08:53 AM
You will need to get then off with the strips then use a eveyday Cleaner :bigtu:

Karoi
06-05-2004, 09:43 AM
I'm not sure if these things are blackheads or not, but around my nose I have a lot of little black dots. I tried temporarily getting rid of them with Biore Deep Cleansing Pore Strips, but they come back after a couple of days and they make the skin around my nose peel. :sulk:

Is there a better way to either cover this up with makeup or get rid of them all together?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a good facial lotion? My face gets extremely dry after I wash it, and I hate use my regular body lotion since it has a fragrance.

Instead of finding a good facial lotion maybe you should change your face wash. I swear by the dove face wash. I have eczema and it's one of the few soaps that don't dry out my skin and make it peel. If you still feel like you need a lotion after that I believe Dove also makes a face lotion.

Chanté
06-05-2004, 11:33 AM
First, make sure they're not just little hairs. ^_^ I went crazy with those pore strips one day, then I actually looked at the pore strips - and I discovered that the black things on them were little HAIRS. I then inspected my nose and realized I had no blackheads, just hairs.

If they are, be assured you have an extremely healthy nose. ^^ The pore strip companies honestly try to trick you into thinking those are evil blackheads that must be removed, but they're really not, and they're really nothing worth buying the product for.

And also be warned that soon after the pore strip craze started, it was reported on the news that they not only take off blackheads/hairs, they also take off SKIN. This is why your nose peels afterward. So if you use them, please use them sparingly. =)

Edit: About facial cleansers that dry out your face, honestly, you can't expect any soap to not dry out your face. If you're taking off all the oil, you're taking away your face's natural moisture. But all you gotta do is then follow with a light moisturizer designed especially for the face. The best routine is:
1) cleanse with soap,
2) use a toner to remove leftover cleanser product, oil, and dead skin, and
3) apply moisturizer to your clean face. ^_^

archangeli
06-05-2004, 04:13 PM
I agree mostly with Bananaluvs.
Those pore strips are just a damn gimmick. You could use 2" packing tape and get the same results with less damage. When you rip off the pore strip you also take off a layer or 2 of the epidermis (top layer of skin). This is what causes the peeling and irritation a few days later. Of course, since you never really "removed" the blackhead you still see black dots and so you use another strip, which irritates your nose more... augh!!! it's a vicious cycle.

There are many good face cleansers out there. Here's a list of things to look for (and if it's not on the label, then don't be afraid to ask):
- pH balanced (very important. skin has a natural pH of about 5, slightly acidic. So you want your cleanser to be about the same. Soaps are always alkaline (pH of 8 or more) and that's why they make your skin feel tight and dry.
- oil-free, so that you don't aggrevate your skin and cause breakouts
- fragrance-free (optional, for some, but if you have sensitive skin perfumes can only irritate)
- don't buy into hype about foams or wipes or other gimmicky cleansers. Any one that lathers up gently and rinses cleanly is good.
Some good ones are Dove (for sensitive skin), PhisoDerm and Cetaphil.

As for face lotion, an oil-free lotion with an SPF 15 sunscreen built in should be enough. Only use it where you need to (cheeks, around the mouth, etc.). I DO have creams that I reserve only for my face. My legs and arms get VERY dry and need heavier lotions that would just make me break out. If you want to invest in a lotion with BHA (Beta-Hydroxy acid), look for a 2% concentration. This will help your skin's natural exfoliation process, but gently. In the long run this will help with your blackheads. It's not a quick-fix like the strips but it's much healthier for your skin.

If the blackheads still bother you, make an appointment with a dermatologist. Some aestheticians can remove blackheads with a lancet, but it hurts like hell...

Hope this has been some help. :)

michiko-chan
06-05-2004, 10:10 PM
Neutrogena makes a product called "Blackhead Eliminating Daily Scrub" that I just started using. I haven't used it long enough to say whether it really "eliminates blackheads" but it is a rather gentle scrub (with those little "microbeads") and it has a creamy base that shouldn't dry out your skin. (I have combo skin, so dryness isn't really a problem except on my cheeks)

archangeli
06-06-2004, 12:33 AM
any mechanical exfoliant will irritate your skin --> by this i mean that any scrub that you physically have to rub on your face will cause some kind of stress.

my favorite thing when i feel like my face is looking dull is to mix some sugar into my cleanser and use that as a scrub. it's not only natural but also gentle because the sugar gradually dissolves in the water. (no more grainy residue in the sink! :) )

bara no chi
06-06-2004, 08:46 PM
nivea cream works like magic, imo. I think because it's a thick lotion.. and not so scented. ^^

~Kisu

mikazuki
06-06-2004, 09:04 PM
The reason a person gets blackheads is for a simple reason - their pores collect dirt, dead skin and oil. Scrubbing will not get rid of blackheads as it is "embedded" into the skin. The only good and safe way to remove blackheads and minimize them is to steam your face on a weekly basis, use a blackhead removal tool to press down on the blackhead and remove it then "seal" your skin by using a clay mask to draw out the oils from the nose (any where and you may end up with dry, flaky skin).

You can but a blackhead removal tool at Sally's for under $4. I use it on my nose and trust me when I say I had large, oily pours that if you took a fingernail to you could pull up blackheads. When I was younger I took cosmetology classes and was trained to use the blackhead removal tool and it's really easy to use, just remember to clean it with alcohol when you are done.

Sashi
06-09-2004, 06:28 AM
Another way of getting rid of blackheads is by steaming your face.Fill a bowl up with hot water,place your face over the bowl and the drape a towel over your head(I'm sure a steaming cloth will also work).The steam helps open up the pores and then you can gentley squeeze out the blackheads,they should come out quite easily(if not then apply more steam).Then wash,tone and moisturize your face afterwards.

Pretty_Kitty
06-09-2004, 07:56 AM
Thanks for all the tips everyone!

My mother has been looking at me weirdly all week because I've been trying out all of your suggestions to see which one works best for me. I think she believes I've gone mad. ^.^

Kaori you're right Dove does make a facial lotion. I used a few trial samples of it and it works wonders.

mikazuki
06-09-2004, 10:50 AM
Another way of getting rid of blackheads is by steaming your face.Fill a bowl up with hot water,place your face over the bowl and the drape a towel over your head(I'm sure a steaming cloth will also work).The steam helps open up the pores and then you can gentley squeeze out the blackheads,they should come out quite easily(if not then apply more steam).Then wash,tone and moisturize your face afterwards.

Do NOT squeeze! Just like you do not squeeze pimples you do not squeeze blackheads out. Plus once you have steamed your face to open the pores you want to SEAL the pores by using a mask - perferably one made with clay to draw out other oils and impurities. BEFORE you steam your face you should have washed it not AFTER. All you're doing is opening pores up to the mess (dead skin, dirt, oil, makeup) if you don't wash your face before steaming. Now once you remove the mask you will want to moisturize your skin with the proper moisturizer - oil free for those with oily skin, etc, etc.

JunJun
06-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Dude this is a great thread! I'm going to buy one of those blackhead tools from Sally's when i get my paycheck (i have $35 to my name THANKS A-KON *hehe*). I've never steamed my face before, but people swear by it so i guess i'll try. My soap (Dr.Bronners) says that putting a bit in hot water makes a really nice steam (I use peppermint! Menthol r0x0r5). My nose is speckled with those awful blackheads :( i can never seem to get rid of them. Mikazuki knows everything :P

Adrienne
06-09-2004, 05:13 PM
Where can you buy that removal tool? Can you get it at any old convenience store, or is it something special? Sorry, I've never heard of "Sally's", but I know there's a brand called Sally's....

mikazuki
06-09-2004, 05:33 PM
The tool can be bought as some drugstores. I think RiteAid Drugstore carries Tweezerman Skin Care Tool. Sally's Beauty Supply carries Tweezerman and Revlon RPro Blackhead Remover. The Tweezerman Skin Care Tool is for whitehead and blackhead use. I personally use Tweezerman Blackhead Remover with Lance. There is also FPO but because it's for professionals you won't find it in a drugstore and only at a beauty supply store.

Sally Beauty Supply (http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/product.asp?dept%5Fid=4760&pf%5Fid=723754)
Drugstore.com (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=84188&catid=151&brand=12940&trx=PLST-0-BRAND&trxp1=151&trxp2=84188&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-BRAND&cmbProdBrandFilter=12940)
Sephoria (http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P0417)

Niku-Sama
06-09-2004, 05:47 PM
hmm, I have a bad habit of squeeseing and stabbing with needles >_> I really should stop, I just cant help it. Myabe I will try this tweezerman.... how much do they run price wise?

Karoi
06-09-2004, 06:52 PM
Do NOT squeeze! Just like you do not squeeze pimples you do not squeeze blackheads out. Plus once you have steamed your face to open the pores you want to SEAL the pores by using a mask - perferably one made with clay to draw out other oils and impurities. BEFORE you steam your face you should have washed it not AFTER. All you're doing is opening pores up to the mess (dead skin, dirt, oil, makeup) if you don't wash your face before steaming. Now once you remove the mask you will want to moisturize your skin with the proper moisturizer - oil free for those with oily skin, etc, etc.

What would you use to steam your face? Would a hot towel do?

mikazuki
06-09-2004, 08:15 PM
hmm, I have a bad habit of squeeseing and stabbing with needles >_> I really should stop, I just cant help it. Myabe I will try this tweezerman.... how much do they run price wise?

Usually under $5 at a beauty supply store and under $10 at a drugstore. Similar products at other places under $20.

The problem with squeezing and stabbing with needles is that you cause more problems. Yes you can lance whiteheads but you need to make sure you steamed your face first before lancing AND make sure you clean the lance (or needle) with alcohol before using it and after. You don't want to spread the muck around.

What would you use to steam your face? Would a hot towel do?

NEVER use boiling water to steam your face. VERY hot tap water in your bathroom sink or in a bowl will suffice. You could buy one of those steaming machines for under $50 but really it's a waste of money when all you need is steamy hot tap water in a bowl with a towel over your head to trap the steam in. You can also use the barber shop method of placing a hot (damp) towel over your face and leaving it on for a minute or so.

Niku-Sama
06-09-2004, 09:18 PM
Hmm, thx mikazuki, I will try to stop, I will deff look into one of those things tho, esp after hearing it works *_* (must go tell black head filled friends) I ususally sterailze needles with my lighter, but that probally is not too smart either : / got to stop, got to stop x_x

JunJun
06-09-2004, 10:40 PM
i think i'm going to try a nice steam tonight. :) haven't got that tool yet, but i will!! I need a trip to Sally's anyway. :3

Niku, i used to do that too, to try and drag the black heads out. Its soo bad for you, because you'll just wind up wounding your pores. It is satisfying to get that little piece of gunk out though. c_c

Elf
06-11-2004, 01:58 AM
If you want to go the cheap route, go to Eckard's and pick up a bottle of Queen Helene's Mint Julep face mask... I use it on a regular basis, and it's only $2.99 for a *huge* bottle!

It's wonderful... leaves your skin all tingly-fresh after you take it off, and really helps your skin become healthier and clearer. It's the reason why I was able to run around A-Kon all weekend with no make-up on except for mascara and lipgloss. (Julia just didn't seem the type to be wearing a lot of heavy makeup to me, so I decided to go with it.)

Solitary Senshi
06-11-2004, 02:12 AM
I was wondering if that stuff...ummm clearasil ultra would help with black heads? I'm very curious and if so would like to purchase it.

mikazuki
06-11-2004, 10:01 AM
If you want to go the cheap route, go to Eckard's and pick up a bottle of Queen Helene's Mint Julep face mask... I use it on a regular basis, and it's only $2.99 for a *huge* bottle!

It's wonderful... leaves your skin all tingly-fresh after you take it off, and really helps your skin become healthier and clearer. It's the reason why I was able to run around A-Kon all weekend with no make-up on except for mascara and lipgloss. (Julia just didn't seem the type to be wearing a lot of heavy makeup to me, so I decided to go with it.)

I mentioned this to someone who had pmed for help.

If you have sensitive skin do not use a mint mask as it will burn your skin. Masking your face in general will tighten your pores and over time will leave keep your face glowing. Personally I use a sea mud mask since I have oily and sensitive skin.

If you like mint you should try a lavender mask. OMG Talk about a wonderful smell!

JunJun
06-11-2004, 10:25 AM
I have very sensitive facial skin (yay for having Rosacea) so i have to be super careful that what i use doesn't irritate my face, or i turn red. I <3 masks, though. Is there a "brand" of sea mud? (that sounds funny) Where do you buy it, Sally's? I don't have super oily skin, but even the dot-on acne medications dry me out badly. I use Cetaphil face wash, but i don't like it much because i don't always feel that nice fresh superclean that Clearasil and such give me, but its what my dermatologist told me to use.

Any other masky suggestions? Can you mix your own mud masks (i <3 herbal medicine, so i have a decent stock of herbs to mix)? Can you just buy sea mud? Woo!!

miaka2u
06-11-2004, 08:56 PM
I guess I'm the lucky one and can just get my mommy to microdermabrasion off all my dead skin and blackheads. It's a little uncomfortable, but it makes my face so smooth and clear.

I haven't tried steaming my face before, but I'm going to try it tonight sometime... maybe before I go to bed. This post really is very helpful though and has some wonderful ideas! ^_^ I want to sea mud mask!!!! I want, want, want!

mikazuki
06-12-2004, 11:20 AM
I have very sensitive facial skin (yay for having Rosacea) so i have to be super careful that what i use doesn't irritate my face, or i turn red. I <3 masks, though. Is there a "brand" of sea mud? (that sounds funny) Where do you buy it, Sally's? I don't have super oily skin, but even the dot-on acne medications dry me out badly. I use Cetaphil face wash, but i don't like it much because i don't always feel that nice fresh superclean that Clearasil and such give me, but its what my dermatologist told me to use.

Any other masky suggestions? Can you mix your own mud masks (i <3 herbal medicine, so i have a decent stock of herbs to mix)? Can you just buy sea mud? Woo!!

Look for muds that are for sensitive skin. What the irritations are for those with sensitive skin are the fragrances and oils used in masks. Mint has a strong oil and thus burns. Lavender's oil isn't as strong and may or may not burn (I've never had probelms with lavender myself). Lemon may or may not burn (sometimes I have problems with lemon).

If you are seeing a dermatologist follow his/her directions and/or see an Esthetician. Estheticians are trained in skincare and will be able to help you tremendously in conjunction with a dermatologist.

Actually you can mix your masks from dry clays, herbs and oils. Off hand I can't think of any books that you will be able to buy though Amazon or BN but there should be some.

agent47
06-12-2004, 02:21 PM
or why not just go see a friend and have him or her open up the blackheads with a safety pins. actually since i have so many thats what i sorta rely on. its painful but after ya do that you should use some powerful cleanser and scrub nicely and then the blackheads should go away for awhile.

Gii
06-12-2004, 02:23 PM
The only way to get rid of a black head is to remove it from the pore, usually by applying pressure with either a tool or your fingers after a shower, when the skin is soft. What you do afterward to keep the pore clean and clear is the next step.

I've really seen improvement in my skin using Paula's Choice 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid Liquid Soultion. View it here at: http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/product.asp?CODE=PC201&PAGETYPE=S

Unlike a product with benzyol peroxide (used to disinfect and treat pimples), this product contains salicylic acid, which has the ability to penetrate the skin and exfoliate inside the pore.

You might want to stay away from any extra moisterizers and lotions, and especially bar soap for you face. Both can clog pores and lead to more black heads. Sunscreen should be all you need to keep your face moisterized and protected. Look for one with avobenzone, which is nicer to acne prone skin.

Niku-Sama
06-12-2004, 08:52 PM
hey, agent47, I have done that to my friend too hehe silly seed, she squirms when I poke her heh. It is a bad idea tho, >_>

mikazuki
06-12-2004, 09:43 PM
or why not just go see a friend and have him or her open up the blackheads with a safety pins. actually since i have so many thats what i sorta rely on. its painful but after ya do that you should use some powerful cleanser and scrub nicely and then the blackheads should go away for awhile.

SAFETY PINS? Noooooo!!!! Opening a pore with a saftey pin is very bad for your skin. 1) You're opening a pore larger then what it already is by inserting something as large as a needle or pin into your skin. Pores, regardless of it has a blackhead or not, is still smaller then the size of a pin. Plus you're pushing the muck into the skin rather then removing it even if you squeeze it out.

The only way to get rid of a black head is to remove it from the pore, usually by applying pressure with either a tool or your fingers after a shower, when the skin is soft. What you do afterward to keep the pore clean and clear is the next step.

The only problem with using your hands is the fact your hands contain oil regardless if you wash them or not. Plus you can apply too much pressure with your nail and rip the skin. Using a tool is better because you are isolating the blackhead and removing equal pressure around the pore. Besides the blackhead tool usually is under $10 so why should a person risk damaging their skin instead of shelling out $10 (two fast food lunches).

JunJun
06-12-2004, 10:34 PM
Miaka, i guess your mom's a dermatologist or something, but i don't think you should necessarily scrape off a layer of your skin all that often. I don't know the implications of really frequent dermabrasion, but make sure you're aware of it. lol, i know dermabrasion would turn my face cherry-red. v_v

mikazuki
06-12-2004, 11:09 PM
Miaka, i guess your mom's a dermatologist or something, but i don't think you should necessarily scrape off a layer of your skin all that often. I don't know the implications of really frequent dermabrasion, but make sure you're aware of it. lol, i know dermabrasion would turn my face cherry-red. v_v

Frequent dermabrasion is not good for your skin. Dermabrasion is just what the name implies... abrasion of the (epi)dermis. The epidermis is a layer of skin cells and frequent removal of those cells expose your dermis. When the bottom layer (dermis) is constantly exposed you run the risk of infection, disease, acne and other problems. Moderation is good, doing something TOO much is bad.

ZoraLink
06-12-2004, 11:27 PM
Pro-Active all the way...

miaka2u
06-13-2004, 11:26 AM
Here's the difference between microdermabrasion and dermabrasion:

"Think of microdermabrasion as being dermabrasion's little brother. Like dermabrasion, microdermabrasion involves removing some of the upper skin layers. Microdermabrasion, however, doesn't go as deep. Another major difference is that microdermabrasion uses crystals to remove the skin, while dermabrasion uses a rotating wheel or wire brush. We sometimes think of it as the difference between sandblasting (microdermabrasion) vs. rotary grinding or sanding (dermabrasion)."

Actually I never go in for microdermabrasion when my face is clear and fine. It's only if I notice it feeling or looking bad. She will only do the procedure for people once a week if it's bad acne or once every two weeks if they don't have bad problems.

She does cleanse the face before she starts and after she puts on hydrating solution after it. People's faces do turn red sometimes, but that's only natural to people who have that sort of skin, and it usually fades after an hour or so. My face on the other hand doesn't turn red at all.

c4ry5
06-13-2004, 09:22 PM
well, i have acne, so i know that it sucks <_< the neutrogena blackhead cleansing stuf (it is creamy white, with little blue beads), does NOTHING, AND it dries out your skin... i have used it, and know.... i would go to a dermatolgist... if it is a simple problem, they will be able to clear it up in no time for you! but i will tell you this, every dermatologist, and doctor has reccomended this to me, use a product called Spectro Jel. you can get it at your pharmacy. it has no alchohal, or anyhting else that is harsh and dries out skin, plus it has moisturizers, all in one. it is what they use in doctors offices before and after treating patients... it works really well... if your sking still dries out though, tell me... i have a list of moisturizers my dermatologis told me about that wont make you skin oily, or shiny or anything like taht... and they are all really mild and gentle.

anyway, dont use regular soaps, they are not meant for your face.... do not use cleansing stuff from your drugstore, get something prescribed by a doctor.

miaka2u
06-13-2004, 11:26 PM
anyway, dont use regular soaps, they are not meant for your face.... do not use cleansing stuff from your drugstore, get something prescribed by a doctor.

Actually my dermatologist tells me to use unscented dove soap to wash my face. And that seems to work well with me. Of course everyone has different skin types and this may not be right for them.

YU-Yu_Ri_Pa-NA
06-14-2004, 01:34 AM
I was about to go to bed but I saw this thread and I am like 'Yes! My saviour!!!'

I have bad blackheads on my nose and I think my chin (is this possible?). I've done everything I knew to get rid of them, but they have never gone away. And yes, those strip thingys SUCK!!!! x.x (BTW, I never knew you could try to pop them like zits? Stick a needle in 'em? ew xp)

But now I've seen this thread and now I'm going to try all these new products and ways to get rid of blackheads!

Another thing-I have Neutrogena Blackhead Eliminating Astringent..I used to use it once a night after my shower (techincally, before I go to bed)for about a month. Even though my face was sparkly clean from the shower (I also use Neutrogena face wash-the orange stuff thats in the big rectangle bottle), whenever I put this 'astringent' on, my face BURNS. LIKE I'M DYING. My eyes tear up and when I first started using it I almost cried. I followed the directions exactly and everything, but it still hurt no matter how much I cleaned my face before I used it.

The stupid thing is, I still see no results, never saw any results, and I don't think I will see any results. And, a funny little thing here, on the back, it says treatment for acne. Not for blackheads. So..the front of the bottle is false? Or is blackheads acne? -is a total n00b on face stuff-

Also, this will sound stupid, but is it a bad idea to use something like a loofah to scrub your face and near the end of your shower to remove blackheads? You're all saying your skin needs to have steam or whatever to open up pores, and if you take a hot shower, won't your pores be open? Or will that destroy your skin? I haven't tried it yet, it's just a random idea.

Oh, and Mikazuki, I worship all that you have contributed to this thread. -bows down to Mikazuki!-

megumibish
06-14-2004, 03:53 AM
Not medically speaking but a real loofah on the face after a shower is good to exfoliate. Just don't try those plastic facial pads scrubbers. Those are soo painful. Tried the one my mom bought and it was like a scouring pad used on my face.

HuongStar
06-14-2004, 08:56 AM
Another thing-I have Neutrogena Blackhead Eliminating Astringent..I used to use it once a night after my shower (techincally, before I go to bed)for about a month. Even though my face was sparkly clean from the shower (I also use Neutrogena face wash-the orange stuff thats in the big rectangle bottle), whenever I put this 'astringent' on, my face BURNS. LIKE I'M DYING. My eyes tear up and when I first started using it I almost cried. I followed the directions exactly and everything, but it still hurt no matter how much I cleaned my face before I used it.

If any skincare product produces a painful burning sensation, discontinue use of it! It sounds like you're using the Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash. If your skin is normal to oily, you should wash your face twice daily (AM and PM) and follow it up with a toner for sensitive skin (http://www.neutrogena.com/ProductsDetails.asp?ID=200). An overnight acne treatment with salicylic acid may help to lessen the appearance of blackheads; I use Neutrogena Clear Pore Treatment (http://www.neutrogena.com/ProductsDetails.asp?ID=67) nightly on my T-zone but you may want to try something with a bit more moisture like Neutrogena Multi-Vitamin Acne Treatment (http://www.neutrogena.com/ProductsDetails.asp?ID=73). While the Blackhead Eliminating Scrub hasn't really removed existing blackheads, it is a gentle manual exfoliant that can be used daily on normal to oily skin without overdrying or harmful abrasions; I use it more as a preventative product.

I would not recommend using a loofah or Buff-Puff (pink scrubbing discs) on your face!! I use a gentle synthetic facial brush (http://www.lindseyskincaresupply.com/soffacbrus.html) daily to apply cleanser and I change it every three to four months. This will provide gentle exfoliation as well as a nice lather if you prefer foaming cleansers.

Remember that smoking and other harmful pollutants can contribute to blackheads. You should always wear an oil-free moisturizer with a minimum SPF 15. Any kind of cover-up product should also be oil-free, especially if you use it on areas prone to blackheads. Clinique and Neutrogena both make concealers & foundation that contain salicylic acid (acne/blackhead fighting ingredient) and SPF 15.

While it is important to be vigilant in your skincare routine, irritation (i.e. redness, burning, itching, flaking/drying) is an important indicator of when you should stop using a particular product.

StarDustShadow
06-14-2004, 01:27 PM
Like Makazuki said, SQUUEZING ISH BAD! It's just making all the oil that was caught up in your pores rise to the surface and settle on all the parts around the area. A friend of mine used to squeeze 'em out and then wipe the "gunk" away with her hand, let's just say it did more harm than good, all she did was spread the oil around.

I use St. Ives exfoliating peach apricote scrub. They have it in a variety of different skin types and is specifically designed for lifting dirt, oil, grime, dead skin, and all that other icky stuff off your face with a sand like scrub (it's gentler, more like a gel for sensitive skin types) and it works really great. I wouldn't reccomend using it excessivly, but i use it like, either once a week or whenever my skin is looking kinda icky. It not only takes off all the dirt and whatnot leaving your skin looking nice and clean and glowy, i've been blackhead free for about 3 years--though not everyone may have the same results)

Throw caution as well to making sure you get off all your makeup (if you wear any) at night, that will cause zits and blackheads

*~Yunie~*

mikazuki
06-14-2004, 01:31 PM
I have bad blackheads on my nose and I think my chin (is this possible?).

Yes it is. You can get blackheads on any part of your body since your entire body has pores. I've seen blackheads on people's faces (nose, chin, cheeks, forehead) as well as on their backs and legs.

I've done everything I knew to get rid of them, but they have never gone away. And yes, those strip thingys SUCK!!!! x.x (BTW, I never knew you could try to pop them like zits? Stick a needle in 'em? ew xp)

NOOOOO. Never use a needle. Use a blackhead tool. Some do have lances on the end of them to help remove dead skin that maybe blocking the pore but if you steam your face then use the tool the blackhead will pop up. If it doesn't then steam your face again. Using a needle to attempt to remove a blackhead pushes it further into the pore, can rip your skin and of course give you an infection if you didn't clean the needle first. (See my above replies).

Or is blackheads acne?

Blackheads are different then whiteheads (zits). Blackheads are a blockage in the pore, they can turn black (as the name suggests) due to skin pigmentation. Some blackheads can appear clear because they haven't had the time to turn dark. Whiteheads or zits, are similar to blackheads except that the skin around the blockage will raise up with the oil. When a whitehead ruptures (or is popped) all of the oil and infection is released in a white slimy mess along with blood (not always). "Zits" are whiteheads that are inflammed and thus are red in appearence.

NEVER EVER -EVER- use your hands to pop zips or push out a blackhead. There are special tools on the market to help you remove both. The tools are not that expensive (they can be) and usually start at under $5.

Also, this will sound stupid, but is it a bad idea to use something like a loofah to scrub your face and near the end of your shower to remove blackheads? You're all saying your skin needs to have steam or whatever to open up pores, and if you take a hot shower, won't your pores be open? Or will that destroy your skin? I haven't tried it yet, it's just a random idea.

While using scrubbing products on your skin while showering is good (I do so on a daily basis because I have very oily skin) it can be damaging if you don't need it. I only scrub around the base of my nose where oil builds up on a daily basis and I scrub (gently) around the oily areas only if they need to be. What scrubbing does is remove excess skin layer and that does help keep your pores healthy because it won't build up to clog the pores. It will not remove blackheads or whiteheads already on your skin as blackheads are embedded in the pores and whitesheads are a build up of mess.

The reason you want to do this outside of the shower is because you want to see what you are doing. Unless you have a magnifying mirror in your shower you can't see what you're doing in the shower with the blackhead tool. Once you step out of your shower your body begins to cool off and by the time you get dressed your pores have already begun to close.

When I was a teenager my nose was black with blackheads. It was nasty. Once I learned how to take care of skin properly - and I've NEVER seen a dermatologist - I've had practically perfect skin. Yes, I use to get HUGE whiteheads as well that would swell up with pus and be inflammed that nothing could be done to hide it. But like I said, I learned to take care of my skin and I still get on occasion a zip or dark blackhead (when I stop my skin regiment because I get lazy) but over all I have flawless skin now that I can go without foundation.

Take care of your skin and you'll be rewarded with clear skin. One of the best things ANY ONE can do to their skin is drink PLENTY of water.

This might of intrest to those of you want to know what things are (medically):

United States National Library of Medicine
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/encyclopedia.html

HuongStar
06-14-2004, 02:09 PM
NOOOOO. Never use a needle. Use a blackhead tool. Some do have lances on the end of them to help remove dead skin that maybe blocking the pore but if you steam your face then use the tool the blackhead will pop up. If it doesn't then steam your face again. Using a needle to attempt to remove a blackhead pushes it further into the pore, can rip your skin and of course give you an infection if you didn't clean the needle first. (See my above replies).
The ones with the lances are really intimidating to those who are unfamiliar with such tools. O_o I've seen the Simplex Extractor tool (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1277&item=5500710865&rd=1) but I've never used it; does anyone have any experience with it?

Clueless Case
06-14-2004, 06:43 PM
Actually i think she talking about the metal ones. Revlon makes em its a metal stick with a round head with a hole.
http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/detail?prodid=252015

sheepsarai
06-14-2004, 08:00 PM
side note to everyone on the amount of oil on ours faces...
when i was in my schools metal shop we were getting ready to do somthing or other but we had to temporaily get two small pieces of metal to hold together, nothing major.... anyway the shop teacher gave us an exlanation which i did not believe at all then he gave the demonstration... he ex0plained that some oil slipped between the piecs would hold them together farely well he then explained that we wouldnt need to use the pil from the shop and wiped some off his face on the side of his nose..everyone in the class did the same thing and sure enough no matter who u were each and everyone of those things held.... disgusting!

YU-Yu_Ri_Pa-NA
06-14-2004, 09:33 PM
You people are lifesavers ^-^

I just got a new thing today at the store...It's Juicy Tangerine Clay Masque..AND IT WORKS WONDERS!!! <3 <3

I used it once today and my skin was uber soft and my black heads were like minimized..not gone, but they looked smaller. And I got a new box of those Neutrogena overnight acne things you put on a zit and go to bed and wake up take it off and its gone(it works for me at least :/)!!

Some random questions-
Are there any foods that can contribute to blackheads and/or zits?
Will drinking water take off the blackheads easier or will it just prevent them from coming back after getting rid of them(or both)?

HuongStar
06-15-2004, 08:36 AM
Some random questions-
Are there any foods that can contribute to blackheads and/or zits?
Will drinking water take off the blackheads easier or will it just prevent them from coming back after getting rid of them(or both)?
The idea that food contributes to acne/blackheads is merely a myth. As I said to someone here before, the only way greasy foods/chocolate/et al could contribute to blackheads or acne is if you wiped your hands on your face after eating those foods! :eeek:

Water is especially important to keep your body and your skin in peak condition. Water helps to maintain proper muscle tone by giving muscles their natural ability to contract and by preventing dehydration. It also helps to prevent the sagging of skin that usually follows weight loss. Water plumps the skin and leaves it clear, healthy and resilient. Water helps skin retain its elasticity, which will be very important later in life...

bipolarbunny
06-15-2004, 07:39 PM
ok, so i bought the black head remover, the one with the wires, and it would really help if the damn thing came with directions.

i tried searching online, bit i only found directions for the other style, the one that looks like a tiny spoon with a hole in it.

it says to hold it over the blackhead and push down, but it doesn't work for me...

how do i use this thing?

sheepsarai
06-16-2004, 11:14 PM
bleh does this stuff apply to pimples aswell? i had wicked clear skin aside from a few black heads until just recenloty when the weather started to get very humid and hot and my face is breaking out wicked bad, on the birght side i got rid of a black head i've had on my nose for the past like no word of a lie 3 years but now i've got more problems! Urg! need good zit and black head treatment... sooon.

mikazuki
06-17-2004, 04:06 PM
Are you steaming your face so the pore open up before you use the tool? If not then it's not going to work.

bipolarbunny
06-18-2004, 12:26 AM
i tried steaming first, and even then it only works on some of them, the ones towards the center of my nose just hurt.

it seems to work on most whiteheads, except for smaller ones. my skin isn't that bad right now, but it's getting more humid, so we'll se how it goes.

mikazuki
06-18-2004, 02:01 AM
Does the tool you bought look similiar to this?

http://a1377.g.akamai.net/7/1377/5720/20020604232252/www.sephora.com/assets/dyn/product/P0417/P0417_hero.jpg

If so then that is a white head remover. A blackhead remover looks like this:

http://a1377.g.akamai.net/7/1377/5720/20040611180115/www.sephora.com/assets/dyn/product/P0013/P0013_hero.jpg

If it's a double loop, it's for whiteheads. Double "cup"/"scoop" it's for blackheads. Some are lance/scoop - the lance for piercing whiteheads and some are loop/scoop.

If it hurts to remove the blackhead then it's still embedded deep into your skin, wait a few more days before you steam and try again. When the blackhead or whitehead is ready to come out it will be easy with no pain.

bipolarbunny
06-18-2004, 11:07 PM
i have the first one, though the box said it was a blackhead remover. one end had the wire and the other end has a flatter one, with a smaller opening.

these things never come with directions.

mikazuki
06-18-2004, 11:32 PM
Nope they don't. lol That's why they're usually for professional use only. The smaller, flat side should work for the blackheads. Just remember, if it doesn't come out easily once you've steamed your face don't force it!

pink_killer
07-02-2004, 10:43 PM
You people are absolutely wonderful. All of your tips I'm so going to try out. I thought it was just me with these blackheads but apparently not and now that I know they are offically blackheads - I'm going to so try and get rid of them! I love you all! You don't know how really happy you've all made me (As stupid as this sounds)! Arigatou minna-san!

Though one little itty bitty thing...About that before of it being a myth that food effects your face. I'm sure it does for diet purposes - healthy body healthy skin. But anyway, I have an addiction to chocolate. Er well, absolutely love the stuff - especially chocolate pocky. And now finally to my point. I stopped eating chocolate for four months now (Since I've been on a diet, cutting junk food and such) and my face has really cleared, minus for the occasional pimple from time to time since my skin is oily..Unless that's the cause? Anyone still around to liven up this thread to answer my question? I'd much appriciate it.

Jen-neko
07-04-2004, 01:19 AM
I had a question to add as well.

My skin is really oily. No matter what I seem to use, it may start out good, but my skin ends up looking very oily/gross in the end (the worst I used was Mary Kay--oil control my ass!). I recently tried using this Olay stuff with microbeads (says it helps reduce pore size :P), but it's starting to have the same results...Can anyone recommend a good brand of facewash/mask for oily skin? I remember going to the dermatologist some years ago and they recommended Cetaphil and Purpose, but if anyone knows of something that works for really oily skin, let me know!

pink_killer
07-04-2004, 03:46 PM
I have the same problem. My skin gets really oily no matter what I do and I wash it twice a day..The Olay microbeads don't work for anything ~~ I gave up using it.

Jen-neko
07-05-2004, 04:35 PM
I'm geting some Cetaphil tonight--I forgot to wash my face last night and ended up with new whiteheads...:(

pink_killer
07-05-2004, 05:59 PM
If it works, could you post and tell me the results so I can go buy some for myself? I'd like it very much n.n Thank you! :heart:

Annikki
07-12-2004, 10:19 AM
I had a question to add as well.

My skin is really oily. No matter what I seem to use, it may start out good, but my skin ends up looking very oily/gross in the end (the worst I used was Mary Kay--oil control my ass!). I recently tried using this Olay stuff with microbeads (says it helps reduce pore size :P), but it's starting to have the same results...Can anyone recommend a good brand of facewash/mask for oily skin? I remember going to the dermatologist some years ago and they recommended Cetaphil and Purpose, but if anyone knows of something that works for really oily skin, let me know!
Yeah, I picked up some Purpose at the Dermatologist years ago too, and I really love what it does for my skin. But I have that problem too. Halfway through the day, my face is covered in oil again, and I need to wash it. But if I'm at work, I can't exactly do that.

Also, I've been hearing nearly everyone mention Neutrogena, and well, I tried that once, and didn't like what it did to my skin. So what can I use that's *not* Neutrogena.

Jen-neko
07-12-2004, 06:19 PM
That's the problem I have with, well, most cleansers that I use--they leave my face oily. I can't use liquid make-up because of this, I can only use powder (but hey, it's cheaper anyway :3). There was another thread I was reading about astringents/toners. I recall a time when I used astringents, and that had the opposite effect--my skin got so dried out it was peeling :/ (I just can't seem to win, can I? =^^=;; ), so if I bought some astringent, I wouldn't use it more than a couple times a week (NEVER everyday).

I ended up not buying Cetaphil. I think instead I'll look into Burt's Bees Garden Tomato soap--link to product (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=45515&catid=10211&brand=14920&trx=PLST-0-BRAND&trxp1=10211&trxp2=45515&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-BRAND&cmbProdBrandFilter=14920) (I think someone mentioned before in this thread that it was good), and Aveeno for everything else. I've never used Burt's Bees, but I trust Aveeno (used them for years when I would get allergic reactions and whatnot). So, I'll see how that works out :3

GingerWolf
07-13-2004, 11:15 PM
okay i have a question too...

i got my hair cut so i could have bangs again..i usually have really clear skin cept fpr my nose and chin which is coverd in black heads...i get bangs back and its look poof my forehead is COVERED in blackheads and white heads...i shower and wash my hair everyday...granted i haven't been washing my face lately but that because ive been sooo busy..but even when i did wash my face with noxiema cream it worked just not on my black heads...i'll stop using soemthing if it dries out my skin or if i feel like it doesn't clean my face..like most foams i've used SUCKED i could see the dirt on the pad i whiped but my skin felt dirtier....i love my little blue jar cream but i really want to get ride of the break out thats on my forehead...

KireiChibi
07-15-2004, 03:51 PM
Ooo, all these ideas sound really good! I've attacked my skin in many similar ways and a few different ones.

Gingerwolf, it sounds like you just need to switch to a more gentle cleanser and remove the blackheads yourself - I swear, no amount of scrubbing will ever get rid of them; it might prevent them, but you need to physically remove them as Mikazuki suggested earlier - though if they're really stubborn, instead of steaming the whole face to get rid of a single stubborn blackhead, soak cotton balls in hot, hot water and apply them to the affected spot for about a solid hour or two to open the pore and soften everything up, and use a blackhead tool on it. This should work fine on forehead problems.

And always make time to wash your face! Just use a band to hold back those bangs and dive in - I've gotten to the point where I can't go to bed or face the world without washing up because it just feels too gross - I mean, I HAVE to! Sometimes I have nasty eye crusties and droolmarks when I wake up - I don't want anyone to have to see me like that! Ew!

BTW, I still use those Biore strips, on rare occasions - I actually slap them on my boyfriend too! He's got Italian genes and has huge pores and oily skin, so his nose pores collect lots and lots of gunk. They've actually improved a bit since I started subjecting him to this.

I have had some trouble in the past though with blackheads around the corner of my mouth and top lip - these are tough spots to attack with a removing tool, because it's so soft and squishy. Any tips?

Jen-neko
07-16-2004, 12:26 AM
I have had some trouble in the past though with blackheads around the corner of my mouth and top lip - these are tough spots to attack with a removing tool, because it's so soft and squishy. Any tips?

Ugh, I have the same problem =X_x= Because of it, I end up with some nasty whiteheads on/around my lip area (NOT pleasant). Can't really give advice, though--if anyone has any to give, I'd appreciate it, too =^^=;;

I also have some blackheads on my chin and nose :/ though they aren't always very noticable, I still see them and they bug me. Need to get me one of those blackhead removing tools, but the nearest Sally's is 3 hours away :waaaah: Whiteheads are my main problem, though (even though my situation is much better than it was, I still have nasty breakouts every once in awhile).

I didn't get the Burt's Bees soap (at the local store, it was $8 a bar...=o_O=), but I did purchase an Aveeno clear complexion cleansing bar from Wal-Mart for around $3.....I've only been using it a few days now (washing twice a day), but my face already seems at least a little nicer...

pink_killer
07-16-2004, 12:36 AM
Okay! Good news since I shall be the new test mouse. I'm going to Wal-mart tomorrow and going to pick up some skin care supplies as well as some other makeup things that I'll be needing. I'll give you all a fill in if I have any more positive effects from one product to the other. I have blackheads on my nose and chin and on my top lip too but those are less noticable. However, I'll experiment and tune you into the results..Wish me luck.

aweffs
07-17-2004, 11:13 PM
Hello, for everyone that never found luck and maybe even worse results from any chemical facial cleaners or whatever, give this a try for a week and a half. Start by not using any chemicals whatsover (except if you want to use lotion that you know isn't going to cause you to break out) to clean your face. Instead, when you take your shower (atleast once a day i hope) make it hot, but never let your face get hit by the hot water. I find, that people with sensitive skin like myself, the hot water dries out and makes the skin worse. Instead just wash your body and keep your head dry. The steam will help clean your pores. Ok, next still in the shower take your hands and rub your finger tips together in the hot water. This will remove dead skin and other grime from your fingertips. Remember, don't use any kind of soap or chemicals on your hands aswell as your face. We want to keep your bodies natural 'good' oils there. After just a few seconds of scrubbing your fingertips together lightly you now have the world's best exfoiliating tools. What better to clean your skin than your skin itself? The fingerprint just seems to be a natural exfoiliating part of our body. Anyways, you're still keeping your head out of the hot water just letting the steam hit your head. Now, lightly rub the worse oil build up and whatnot areas with your fingertips. Be sure to rub gently but good enough to exfoilate (Don't make yourself hurt. It's easy to get off the dead skin with all that steam. Only cover the area of your face that your fingetips cover then clean them for 3-4 more seconds in the hot water by once again rubbing them together. Then, move onto another area. Areas with less or no buildup just need to be even more gently rubbed. Just remember after each little area to clean your fingertips again. After you have completed your entire face. Point the water so it isn't hitting you and turn it to cool water and rinse off your face. When I say cool I mean water you would like to drink (But, not ice water cold. That could have the same effects as the hot water. Very gently and briefly wipe your face off with your fingers in the cold water. Remember just a rinse. Then you're done. It may be best for you to do this twice a day. If you don't take two showers a day then you can do the same thing in the sink, but the steam part is a little harder to obtain this way.

On another point, if you have any pimples or blackheads you should try to avoid squishing them (***NEVER SQUISH ON YOUR SKIN WITH YOUR FINGERNAILS***). Only squish ones that you know will only take gentle pressure with the pads of your fingers. You risk redder and sometimes worse/longer lasting acne. Whiteheads and any other acne that has a thin layered 'head' is ok to deal with. If you can get blackheads out somehow without damaging the cells all around it. Go for it. Just remember all the thousands of cells just around that area you are being damaged by all the pressure.

If you have nothing to lose try that out for a while and see if you can get results. I had acne that bothered me for the longest time, and ever since I threw out Clearasil and stopped washing my face so much it has cleared up tremendously. I was causing a lot of my own breakouts by destroying all the oils on my face and drying it out.

Good Luck

Let me know if this helped.

P.S. Less sodas and coffee and more water everyday will help keep your skin hydrated and nice.

archangeli
07-20-2004, 01:08 PM
I finally tried the Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque that Mikazuki raves about and omg! it's FABULOUS!

It sucked out so much of the gunk in my pores around my nose and minimized the size of them. The blackheads in my nose seem to be gone after 3 uses!

mikazuki
07-20-2004, 02:20 PM
I'm glad you like the mint mask. :)

Queen Helene also make a cholestrol mask for hair which I highly recommend for those with dry hair but that's a whole different thread. ;)

Kilayi
07-25-2004, 10:00 PM
Well, I have been using the Clearasil Ultra for a bout 2.5 weeks (you know, the one guaranteed to clear up your skin in 3 days) and I can vouch for it. That stuff really works! Granted that I am on summer break right now and I applied it 3 times day for the first week then dropped to 2 times a day since then.

Nothing I was using was working as well as I wanted it to, and I got some of the Burt's Bees Tomato Soap, and had been using it for about 2 months, and It cleared me up somewhat. Used in combonation with the Clearasil Ultra, I'm doing fine till I can get to the dermatologist (finally!)

I had the mask that Mikazuki suggested previously, and even that didn't help me (I used it 2 or 3 times and every time it make my face red, and it burned while it was on, so I never bothered with it again... or is that normal? I have a Sea Masque now, and it does the same thing and as far I can remember, every masque that I have tried does it to me >.>

mikazuki
07-26-2004, 02:49 PM
I had the mask that Mikazuki suggested previously, and even that didn't help me (I used it 2 or 3 times and every time it make my face red, and it burned while it was on, so I never bothered with it again... or is that normal? I have a Sea Masque now, and it does the same thing and as far I can remember, every masque that I have tried does it to me >.>

If a product "burns" you then the product is not for your skin type. Remember, people have different reactions to different products so it's really best if you know your skin type to find a product that will work best for you.

Jen-neko
07-26-2004, 11:20 PM
I picked up a mask today (Oil of Olay...somethingorother...clay mask--it's blue :P), and tried it out just now. It's pretty nice, actually (for only $6 :P). I guess I'll have to use it for awhile to gauge how well it works, but I liked that it didn't irritate my skin or anything.

There was a blackhead-specific mask I saw at Wal-Mart....I believe it was Neutrogena. Dunno if anyone's tried it or not (I didn't want to since my blackheads have been better....it's those darned whiteheads now that concern me...=>.>=;; ). Anyway, that's all :3

xIm.AgneSx
11-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Hey Guys!!!

Help!! I am troubled by PIMPLES!! i lost confident and self-esteem after having pimples this year!! T_T can anyone help mi?? By... How to get rid of PIMLES????? HELP!!!!!!

Aisha-chan
11-17-2005, 05:00 PM
How long should you steam your face before trying to get rid of blackheads?

mikazuki
11-17-2005, 08:00 PM
How long should you steam your face before trying to get rid of blackheads?

I recommend steaming your face one of two ways - in a nice hot shower (your pores will open up) or over a sink of hot water. You want to steam your face for a couple of minutes - it doesn't take long for your pores to open. If you're sweating (over the sink or bowl of hot water) then you may have been steaming your face too long. The reason you steam your face is for the pores to open making it easier to remove blackheads. Again use the blackhead tool I mentioned above and NEVER scrape, pick, poke or use a needle on it! If it won't come out easily then keep steaming your face.

An alternate method to steaming it over a bowl or sink of hot water or in the shower is to take a washcloth and dip it into the hot water, wring out the excess water and put in on your face BUT be careful since if the water is TOO hot you can burn yourself. Leave it on for about a minute, maybe two. Remember, it doesn't take long and each skin type is different so it may take longer or it might take less time for you.

black shinigami
11-20-2005, 07:10 PM
Wow, this is sooo helpful, thanks heaps!! ^^ I should go purchase one of those sometime.

black shinigami
11-20-2005, 07:16 PM
I 'd like to thank you guys heaps for helping me. ^^

Oh and one thing about squeezing, my mum makes me squeeze my nose often to remove the oil and blackheads (it's what happens when you have a generation gap) and I was doing it once and I saw red on my hands. Yup, it was blood. -_-

mikazuki
11-20-2005, 09:49 PM
I 'd like to thank you guys heaps for helping me. ^^

Oh and one thing about squeezing, my mum makes me squeeze my nose often to remove the oil and blackheads (it's what happens when you have a generation gap) and I was doing it once and I saw red on my hands. Yup, it was blood. -_-

Never squeeze. If you must do something to remove the blackheads or whiteheads then use the proper tools. Like the little blackhead tool - steam your pores open, put it over the blackhead and press down and out it comes.

Tenebrae
11-21-2005, 12:47 PM
Hey, this is great!
I've been one of the lucky ones who's never really had a problem with breakouts. I used to get a pimple or two every now and then when I'd rest my head on my hands. I finally stopped TOUCHING MY FACE and that took care of that for the most part.
Now I have a 14 year-old daughter and she's starting to get T-zone breakouts. They're not all-over pizza, but they're starting to get more noticeable. She has blackheads on her nose, face, and even on her chin under her lower lip. I got her some alcohol-free Stridex pads for sensitive skin and she uses them every night before bed to clean her face off, but they don't seem to be clearing her up. She uses a Suave body wash in the morning with a lavender scent and one of those $1 plastic shower poufs, but I know she doesn't scrub very hard with it and just uses it to apply the body wash and rinse it off.
She doesn't use any lotions and only wears eyeshadow every now and then which she removes at night with Almay oil-free makeup remover pads.
Should I change her soap? The stuff she has right now seems to be pretty mild.
Should she stop using the Stridex? Her skin isn't getting dried out as far as I can tell.
I think she might be able to keep up with a steaming routine with a blackhead remover tool, but what is this about using a clay mask afterwards? I can't imagine doing that nightly. Is there an astringent she can use to close the pores instead or perhaps just some slightly cooler than lukewarm water splashed on her face?
I like to think I'm older and wiser and know enough to take the time to pay attention to a proper body/beauty care routine myself...but my daughter is stubborn and a bit lazy - if a routine takes too long or is too complicated, she won't stick with it.
Heck, I don't think even I would keep up with a clay mask every night!
I used to use the St. Ives clay mask about once a month when I was younger just for that nice "home spa" feeling.
Oh, and regarding scents and oils...
Mint energizes, but lavender is a very calming scent. Somebody asked about that a LOOONG while back and I just thought I'd drop that in. Most of my beauty knowledge is with hair care so I mostly know about using oils and scents in hair/scalp treatments or making my own perfumes.

-Tenebrae.

kkoganei1328
11-21-2005, 01:48 PM
I like to think I'm older and wiser and know enough to take the time to pay attention to a proper body/beauty care routine myself...but my daughter is stubborn and a bit lazy - if a routine takes too long or is too complicated, she won't stick with it.
Heck, I don't think even I would keep up with a clay mask every night!
I used to use the St. Ives clay mask about once a month when I was younger just for that nice "home spa" feeling.
Mint energizes, but lavender is a very calming scent. Somebody asked about that a LOOONG while back and I just thought I'd drop that in. Most of my beauty knowledge is with hair care so I mostly know about using oils and scents in hair/scalp treatments or making my own perfumes.

-Tenebrae.

Hi!

I'm just as lazy and since i dont know your daughter's skin type, i can only make recomendations :) .

1. Does she sleep on her face at night? Natural the oils from your face may not be the cause of the pimmples, but bacteria does grow on it, so wash the pillow covers often if she does.

2. DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE. your hands have A LOT of bacteria and even if you wash your hands a lot you will still touch something else, like your pen (which has 50 times more bacteria than a toilet seat ) bacteria is what causes pimples. the natural oils in the pores of your skin allow for a wonderful anaerobic environment for them to grow in and of course, the oils serve as food. so they love it there. touching your face will expose oneself to more of these nasty organisms. so, dont' touch the face.

I've tried many drugstore brands of face washes over the years and none of them really work. but recently, i've stumbled upon this wonderful stuff called "Tea tree oil" :love: (sounds alot worse than it is) Its actually an oil free face wash using natural tea tree oil to kill the bacteria that grows in your pores. I dont have a problem with it, and i'm thinking if stridex doesn't dry out your daughter's skin, this stuff wont either. (I dont have a problem with dry skin using tea trea oil) But face washes will only go so far, and you have to use a toner to get the dirt and dead skin out. I use the face wash during my shower, and after the shower, toner. it takes all but a couple minutes and yay!! clear skin !! You can get it at The Body Shop. However, it is a bit of an investment, its 20 dollars total for both face wash and toner. ( and Yes, you need to use the toner, I got lazy and the face wash alone doen't cut it). The Body Shop and other similar stores have a lot of variety. if tea tree oil isn't your thing, you can always ask a sales associate for recommendations (that's how i discovered my wonderful face wash).

I hope that helps :)

mikazuki
11-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Should I change her soap? The stuff she has right now seems to be pretty mild.
If the soap hasn't helped then have her discontinue using it. If acne comes back while she's not using it then go ahead and have use it again.

Should she stop using the Stridex? Her skin isn't getting dried out as far as I can tell.
Personally, I never liked Stridex as a teen. I don't know if they changed the chemical composition of the product but I never found it to work for me but each person is different. Again, discontinue using it and if the acne comes back go ahead and resume using it.

I think she might be able to keep up with a steaming routine with a blackhead remover tool, but what is this about using a clay mask afterwards? I can't imagine doing that nightly. Is there an astringent she can use to close the pores instead or perhaps just some slightly cooler than lukewarm water splashed on her face?
Facial masks - of any type - should be used no more then once a week and for some people that's overkill. Once a week, twice a month or once a month are usually the time intervals people tend to use. There are many types of facial masks - clay masks, mud masks, heat masks, mint masks, lemon masks, lavendar masks, pineapple masks, etc, etc, etc.

Sometimes it's a matter of trial and error when it comes to products but for sensitive acne skin she might try a mint, lavendar or lemon mask first. Because no one person has the same type of skin condition and what works for one person may not work for another, it's hard for someone (me) to make a recommendation. I posted about types of masks in another thread simply use the search feature to look for it since it has more info on mask types.

They have nice products but their facial scrub is too harsh for the face (Target has their own generic version and the apricot shells are finer and less harsh). Their clay mask actually burns my skin and so I've only used it once.

Yes, the scents are nice but the oils in those types of masks actually do other things as you most likely know. Lavendar masks tend to help those with red, irritated skin while mint and lemon oil tends to help with "infections" (for lack of a better term). Just keep in mind that what works for me may not work of you or anyone else and unless she/you knows what she's allergic to or sensitive to, be VERY careful with ANY product because some of those products can do more harm then good.

Also, something to keep in mind - kaolin clay is what's typically used in most clay masks on the market. Kaolin clay can be purchased at many health food stores to which a person can add their own essential oils to create their own facial masks. There are books on the market to help people make their own masks for their specific skin types.

One book to find @ the local library is Skin Care and Cosmetic Ingredients Dictionary by Milady. Milady are the textbooks used in cosmetology schools including Estheticians textbooks. I wouldn't buy any of their books since they are very expensive (typically no less then $50) and most people don't need to have an Estheticians textbook in their bookshelf. The paperback version of Skin Care and Cosmetic Ingredients Dictionary is a little under $30.

Strawberry2005
11-21-2005, 04:57 PM
I've tried many drugstore brands of face washes over the years and none of them really work. but recently, i've stumbled upon this wonderful stuff called "Tea tree oil" :love: (sounds alot worse than it is) Its actually an oil free face wash using natural tea tree oil to kill the bacteria that grows in your pores. I dont have a problem with it, and i'm thinking if stridex doesn't dry out your daughter's skin, this stuff wont either. (I dont have a problem with dry skin using tea trea oil) But face washes will only go so far, and you have to use a toner to get the dirt and dead skin out. I use the face wash during my shower, and after the shower, toner. it takes all but a couple minutes and yay!! clear skin !! You can get it at The Body Shop. However, it is a bit of an investment, its 20 dollars total for both face wash and toner. ( and Yes, you need to use the toner, I got lazy and the face wash alone doen't cut it). The Body Shop and other similar stores have a lot of variety. if tea tree oil isn't your thing, you can always ask a sales associate for recommendations (that's how i discovered my wonderful face wash).

Yes, Tea Tree Oil is really good with black heads. Every spa I've gone to for facials has always used tea tree oil when it comes to the black head removal part. And speaking of, if you have some cash to burn and want a day of relaxation and pampering, request a facial at spas. They usually help remove blackheads as part of the facial treatment. They will squeeze out your blackheads, but they're specially trained to do that without damaging your face.

Alichii
11-21-2005, 07:31 PM
does anyone know a good fragrance free mask? I would use the mint julep mask but it has fragrance in it which i am allergic to, does anyone know any other ones that work well?

effervescence
11-25-2005, 12:11 AM
I.. <3...this..thread. I think I'll have a little parade for it! -parades!-

HOWEVER.

I don't feel like quoting all these people, but i'll mention little things I read.

A boy in this thread said he swears by 'Pro-active'. For people with very sensitive skin like myself, Pro-active is MUCH MUCH MUCH too heavy duty and it actually does a grew deal more damage than good. I have or had acne very bad from ages about..12-15 (It just recently dissapeared) and I'd tried everything. EVERYTHING. I'll make a little note now that this post is more or less not for the blackhead weilding people, but those of us with acne.

Some acne, those with inherited acne for instance, may be cursed by pimples for the rest of our lives despite whatever face wash, soaps, masks, tools, etc we use. Some of us, medications can help. I am one of those people; I'm not talking about the kind that makes you have deformed children, but even, and this is for girls, taking birth-control pills often times seriously reduces acne as it controls the hormones, which believe it or not, is a big part of acne (Note the sarcasm.)

I can't suggest any specific drugs, but ask your dermatologist if he can recommend/perscripe some kind of pill for you. I wish you all luck and again, I love this thread!

black shinigami
11-25-2005, 03:12 AM
Hehe I bought the tool the other day. I have one problem though - I don't know if I have any black heads though (cos I couldn't remove any the first time)

Vessa-Sushi
11-25-2005, 06:06 AM
People have mentioned on here a few things that I find are the cause, and cure, of acne and it's wonderful buddies.

1. Yes, if you sleep on your face (or one side) you will tend to notice more blemishes on the parts you sleep on. Change the pillow case more often then usual, and flip the pillow over every now and then.

2. Tea Tree Oil is the bomb. Honestly, I use it for bodywash with a pouf (I scrub as well, not just run it over my body) and I found that it cleared up my back acne quite nicely. I get a shower just about everyday (I work in a kitchen), so the acne there doesn't get a chance to sprout up much.
Also..I've tried the Body Shop Tea Tree Oil facial stuff...eh...it's alright, but...not my cup of tea to use.

3. Do not squeeze. We all do it (most of us anyways :), and we shouldn't. I think I was told back in Biogym that when you pop a zit, it takes roughly 7 more days to heal, unlike the less time it takes to heal/clear up when left alone. This is a hard one to do as no one likes white bumps on their face *shudders* I know I don't....

4. Long hair. Don't know if anyone touched on this, but if you (or your kid) has long hair, the natural oils in it can transfer to the face when the hair is hanging down and brushing it all the time. I tend to keep mine up just because I hate it flying all over the place, but I found that I have less skin problems on my neck when my hair is kept up (or braided, etc etc).

5. Time. Some of us just get acne, and most get acne when in puberty. If you are female, you may tend to get acne when you are near your period or on it. Life sucks, but that's the way it is :P

I have a convention to go to, but I hope that helps someone..somewhere...sometime :P

~Vessa

Tenebrae
11-26-2005, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the great notes on the sleeping. I hadn't even thought of that - she DOES sleep face-first. Don't laugh too much, but she still sleeps with a blanky, too. On her pillow. In her face.
Ewwwwww...
She has long hair, but wears it pulled back so her forehead problems are clearly visible. The funny thing is she has been bugging me to get bangs cut into her hair. I wonder if she's starting to get self-conscious about the acne and is thinking she'll just cover it up. I know that'll just make the problem worse, though, and have been really pushing her to NOT get bangs.
mikazuki, I guess I had misunderstood one of your posts because I could have sworn you'd been saying for treatment to consist of a nice steaming to open the pores, a blackhead removal tool to clean 'em out, and then a clay mask to close the pores. Maybe you just meant for that to be done once a week/month perhaps?
Weeeell, I have the tool and I found a nifty little single-serving (heh) packet of clarifying clay mask to try out, so I guess I'll have a little beauty session with her sometime soon and see how that works out.
And I'll see about getting that freakin' "blanky" tossed out...or at least put away.
Yeesh. Some people's teenagers...
Tea tree oil, eh? I've heard of it being used for scalp problems and actually have some shampoo for her head. I'll check into some facial treatments with it, too.

-Tenebrae.

Tenebrae
12-04-2005, 11:57 AM
A little update on the facial cleansers...
I picked up some cleanser at the drug store in a greenish plastic tube called "Basis cleaner clean face wash" soap-free oil-free gel cleanser. It has Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Lavender Extract, Lemongrass Extract, Rosemary Extract, Spearmint Extract and a few unpronouncable things in it. My daughter started using that to clean her face morning and night and saw an immediate improvement, but some of her skin was still inflamed-looking.
I tried the cleaner myself just to see how it feels (and since I had a couple pimples developing). It is a very mild cleanser and very soothing, but I didn't notice any real difference in my own skin...so I think just having her start cleaning her face with more than just warm water is helping.
I looked around for some tea tree oil stuff. I ended up staring at a whole shelf full of pure tea tree oil and all kinds of other products. Finally ended up in my local little health food store and a nice lady came over and handed me some Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean face wash in a pump bottle that has:
Castile Soap, Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, 100% Pure Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca Alternifolia), Extracts of Matricaria, Goldenseal, Awapuhi (Hawaiian white ginger), Bladderwrack, Essential Oil of Palmarosa, Petitgrain, Lavandine Super and Peppermint Oil.
I have to admit, I was pretty skeptical of something with so much oil in it...
My daughter tried some of it a couple nights ago and had no problem with it. Her face looked clean and seemed to be clearing up even more.
I tried it myself and...oh man, it BURNED all day. I must admit, my face was very clean, clear, and even soft. My pores were much smaller...but my cheeks were a bit red and irritated all day. I told my daughter to use that only at night and maybe only a couple times a week and to keep up the Basis stuff.
Aaaanyways...
Just a little update and a couple examples to show how different peoples' skin can be, even in the same family. Hope somebody finds it useful.

-Tenebrae.

Solairis
12-06-2005, 10:16 AM
Wow, this thread is amazing. I just wanted to comment on:

I.. <3...this..thread. I think I'll have a little parade for it! -parades!-
A boy in this thread said he swears by 'Pro-active'. For people with very sensitive skin like myself, Pro-active is MUCH MUCH MUCH too heavy duty and it actually does a grew deal more damage than good.
I heavily agree with this, ProActive caused me much more harm than good; I have very oily yet sensitive skin. I also tried using clearasil, tea tree oil soaps, and a type of yellow scrub which I cannot recall the name of at the moment. None of that worked either.
Just out of curisoity; As for the microsermabrasion, does anyone know of a base cost for that?

PinkNinja
12-07-2005, 03:47 PM
All right, I can contribute. I grew up with bad skin and I went to see a professional on the subject a few years back.

Tips:
-Wash your hair, then your face. Conditioner is very pore clogging. Long hair and prone to acne on your back? Hair washing should come first in the shower, then everything else. I tried this, and noticed my forehead (I had bang then) cleared up right away, along with a lot of other things-
-Wash, Tone, Moisturize. Every day. Morning, night. Just make sure you use something sensitive for you-
-Skin feel oily mid-day? I personally kept a small spray bottle with me of dilluted toner. A quick spritz of that, let it dry and your skin feels fresh again without messing up your make-up!-
-Speaking of make up, don't ever sleep in. Your skin will not be forgiving-
-If all else fails, look for places offering a 'teen facial' or something similar. They tend to run cheaper than regular places, they have those handy blackhead/whitehead removers on hand, and a few places I've gone to will throw in microdermabrasian too. Your skin might be red afterwards, but they'll clean up a lot for you and give you a fresh start on your skin. I reccomend this especially to people with black heads or white heads-
-Drink water. Water is clear skin's bestest friend-

Rage
12-08-2005, 09:16 PM
I'm going to try steaming my face tonight! Hopefully that will help, because I have really bad blackheads on my forehead, arms, back, shoulders, cheeks, nose, chin, jawline, hairline, scalp, ears, and even my chest O.<
I have a question too. I bought a facial scrub that I absolutely loved, by the brand got2b (which I love anyway). My face was clearer within a few weeks (and it was a once-a-week scrub). But now, whenever I use it, my face is really oily feeling afterwards, even though my face is still relatively clear. Should I keep using it? It's keeping my face looking nice, but now it's really shiney and oily.

angellover02171
12-17-2005, 01:33 PM
does anyone know a good fragrance free mask? I would use the mint julep mask but it has fragrance in it which i am allergic to, does anyone know any other ones that work well?

this is a mask that i use that is just as good as a mud mask.

oat meal and cornstarch and water. mix it all togetter it should be like a paste but spread-able on your face. you can add honey(which is anti-bactrial) fresh mint or lavender or anything eles. some people use a whole egg for fine lines. once it dries you want to scrach it of but not to hard to damage your skin then wash of the remander.

angellover02171
12-17-2005, 01:35 PM
I'm going to try steaming my face tonight! Hopefully that will help, because I have really bad blackheads on my forehead, arms, back, shoulders, cheeks, nose, chin, jawline, hairline, scalp, ears, and even my chest O.<
I have a question too. I bought a facial scrub that I absolutely loved, by the brand got2b (which I love anyway). My face was clearer within a few weeks (and it was a once-a-week scrub). But now, whenever I use it, my face is really oily feeling afterwards, even though my face is still relatively clear. Should I keep using it? It's keeping my face looking nice, but now it's really shiney and oily.

try suing it once every two weeks and see. also are you useing alot of other product for your face? maybe your over useing your other products.

Rage
12-17-2005, 10:55 PM
Nope. that's all I'm using :(

angellover02171
12-17-2005, 11:49 PM
your skin may be oily because it is winter time and your skin is just over producing oil. you should have a day face wash but if i were i would find one that doesn't have any soap in it. it is always good to have moisterier that does not have oil in it.

Hollowscry
10-02-2006, 12:09 AM
Yeah my skin is blackhead-o-topia on my nose, forehead, cheeks, and t-zone. >.< Super annoying. As i was reading the worst part is in the middle of my eyebrows (YUCK!) i usually sleep with my pillow over my face, so i'm going to try to sleep above it instead of under hehe...i'm going to try the steeming tomorrow night with Avon deep pore cleanser....yeah i hope it helps a little bit. Oh, the tree oil i got from bodyshop.com blemish stick, i applied directly after washing my face with dove soap, left overnight, when i woke up, i had this huge red spot on my forehead and it was full of acne. It was weird 'cuz last time i applied it i did an all night for my ushg project and it went away, what made it go from goodiegoodie gone- to volcanic eruption?

^hollowscry^