PDA

View Full Version : A problem with scars...

Dinahsprodigy
06-05-2004, 01:35 PM
I used to cut myself, and now I've got scars all over my right arm. What type of foundation is good to cover them up, especially since it's summer and the sun makes them very prominent?

lemoned
06-05-2004, 04:47 PM
I have the same problem. ^^; But Ben Nye makes a really nice tattoo cover that works wonderfully for scars too.

Or.. *any* Ben Nye foundation works nice ^^;;;;

archangeli
06-05-2004, 05:02 PM
I used to cut myself, and now I've got scars all over my right arm.

"i used to cut myself" <-- I hope that you are better now and don't feel the need to injure yourself.

There are several solutions to help camouflage scars. If they are not puffy scars then makeup will definitely do the trick. If you have any scars that are purple and puffy (keloidal) then makeup will only mask them but they will still be there.

Solution 1:
Self tanner. Tanned skin hides a multitude of sins from scars to stretch marks. I don't know how severe your scars are but this is an option. I DON'T recommend tanning beds (aka cancer booths... :sulk: ) at all. There are several threads in this forum about self-tanners already so feel free to peruse those.
Cost: $~10/ bottle.
Lasts: 4-7 days, depending on your cell turnover rate
Water-Resistant?: Yes.

Solution 2:
Ben Nye/ Mehron concealers. These are theatrical makeups designed to cover heavily. On the down side they will look a bit fake. Creamy concealers need to be set with a powder but can still smear onto clothing. Both companies make a makeup sealer that can be sprayed onto makeup to make them sweat-proof, water-resistant and smudge-proof.
Cost: ~$15/ makeup color
~$7/ makeup sealer (optional)
Lasts: Until you take it off with a good makeup remover
Water-Resistant?: Yes!

Solution 3:
Dermablend. This is a makeup line that can be found at some department stores and also online. Their claim to fame is a great range of concealing products designed to cover tattoos, age spots... anything you can imagine. The colors can be blended together to create "your perfect color." This stuff is meant for runway shows, swimming - heavy duty performance.
Cost: see www.dermablend.com for prices. cheaper on eBay
Lasts: Until you take it off. Really.
Water-Resistant? YES!

The above methods are suggested for darker scars that need more color coverage. If you are just looking for a light foundation to cover up light scarring then something like Revlon ColorStay or MAC's Face and Body Foundation (http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/products/sp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY15107&PRODUCT_ID=PROD1540) might be enough to do the trick. Make sure that you get an EXACT color match so that it doesn't look fake and apply with a damp makeup sponge (those triangle wedges) to get a smooth application. These products are lighter but still designed to be water-resistant and not smear.

I hope some of this information is useful.

Dinahsprodigy
06-05-2004, 06:46 PM
Yes, it all is! Thanks!

And I do not cut any longer, for those who are curious.

Hinata
06-05-2004, 09:28 PM
mou.. I'm an idiot. I just made the same thing!!
anyways, I'll use these tips. I still cut, but I'm getting better! :bigtu:

electra blue
06-05-2004, 09:34 PM
I am not positive on a specific kind. But I do have something that could work ^_^ First apply foundation. Then loose powder OR concealer to top it off ^_~

Juu-Sama
06-12-2004, 03:43 PM
I used to cut myself, and now I've got scars all over my right arm. What type of foundation is good to cover them up, especially since it's summer and the sun makes them very prominent?

I have that same problem...parents are still quite angry at me...even though I stopped for a while now...yeah, kind of scary.

but, since I have so much scars that's above the arm(cut quite deep you see...;_;) no matter what I used to cover it up, it still leaves bumps on my skin. is there anything for covering up the bumps?

Juu-sama ^_^

Xanthe Kelsylva
06-12-2004, 06:23 PM
mou.. I'm an idiot. I just made the same thing!!
anyways, I'll use these tips. I still cut, but I'm getting better! :bigtu:

About cutting...

Whatever you do, DON'T cut yourself just to get blood for your first spell!!! Find yourself an older, more experienced, (and I cannot stress this enough) legitimate mentor if you want to learn magick. Otherwise you end up with a failed spell and a scar on your wrist to remind you...

Yes, I used to do the same thing (for a couple of reasons). But no one can see it besides me because the cuts are really small. They just look like tiny white lines on the side of my wrist.

And remember, cutting doesn't solve ANYTHING. Sure, at the time you think it helps or you want to do something dramatic for a spell (I repeat, DON'T DO IT!) but really all it does is leave you with a bunch of scars and 4 years later you'll wonder what the hell you were thinking... And then if your friends find out about it they'll flip out (you did WHAT?).

If you can't stop cutting, get counseling. I can't reccomend that strongly enough.

JunJun
06-12-2004, 11:49 PM
Whatever you do, DON'T cut yourself just to get blood for your first spell!!! Find yourself an older, more experienced, (and I cannot stress this enough) legitimate mentor if you want to learn magick. Otherwise you end up with a failed spell and a scar on your wrist to remind you...

self-injury is more than kids trying to piddle with magick. Its a physical symptom/manifestation of a serious psychological problem. Its also a coping mechanism, as socially unaccepted as it is. And not all your friends will freak out. Good friends will be supportive of you, and help you if you want to quit. And you won't necessarily be ashamed of it 4 years later. There's nothing disgusting or revolting about self injury. The scars are a part of you, and a part of your past. You should never be afraid of your past. This may sound funny, but be proud of your scars. Wear them as a badge of accomplishment, look what i got through, what i triumphed over! Later in life, i want to get a pair of tattoos on my wrists in honor of my triumphs :)
Anyway.

Unless you're really tan and the scars are keloided or hypertrophic and like, super visible, i wouldn't worry about it. Every human body has its own marks, you just have a few more. I wouldn't dream of covering up any scars on my body for cosplay, because it seems so minor.

xfallenangelx
06-12-2004, 11:51 PM
For covering up scars/bruises... well it really depends on if your scars are on parts of the body that are darker/lighter/or the same shade as your face. Because if its the same shade as your face, a little dab of concealer should work pretty well, just make sure to blend it in. I know for bruises that I get for stupid reasons... I just let them show, they really don't bother me, but my friend buys a shade lighter of foundation for the bruise and it covers it up relatively well, by making all the skin tones match. I think the same theory could work with scars
~Anji

JunJun
06-12-2004, 11:53 PM
For bruises, maybe try the yellow concealer sticks? I just bought a pair (yellow and green), and i think bruises would definitely be something the yellow might help.

Juu-Sama
06-13-2004, 12:57 AM
About cutting...

Whatever you do, DON'T cut yourself just to get blood for your first spell!!!

where did you learn that? of all the magick books I've read, I've never encountered something that involves blood from myself...ah well, I'm a sheltered child after all.

just to swing off the topic again, most teenagers cut themselves not because they want to prove anything, heck, I am very ashame of these scars. for me, and most other teenager with similar problems, the pysical pain that we inflict takes us away from the emotional pain and pressure that we face in real life. which is the reason some people cannot stop cutting themselve. an other reason we do it is because it proves that we are still alive, every physical pain tells us that we can still feel and we haven't disappeared yet...(faded into thin air kind of thing)...

I am ashamed of my scars simply beause it symbolized my weakness, and my cowardice towards reality. (very un-samurai like wouldn't you say?) that's why I hide them and won't even let my parents see it.

my scars however, are long and deep, several actually should have been sutured together (father is a doctor, he could tell by the thickness of the scaring), but parents never noticed until it was too late, so it's not a pretty sight.

here's a question to all. do you think wearing skin coloured tights on the arm would help? a little odd yes and its not REALLy exposing the arm but would it at least look like I'm going bare armed?

Juu-sama ^_^

Xanthe Kelsylva
06-13-2004, 01:35 AM
self-injury is more than kids trying to piddle with magick. Its a physical symptom/manifestation of a serious psychological problem. Its also a coping mechanism, as socially unaccepted as it is. And not all your friends will freak out. Good friends will be supportive of you, and help you if you want to quit. And you won't necessarily be ashamed of it 4 years later. There's nothing disgusting or revolting about self injury. The scars are a part of you, and a part of your past. You should never be afraid of your past. This may sound funny, but be proud of your scars. Wear them as a badge of accomplishment, look what i got through, what i triumphed over! Later in life, i want to get a pair of tattoos on my wrists in honor of my triumphs :)

Um... my friends freaked. I was talking from experience.

Emerald_Mara85
06-13-2004, 02:08 AM
As an outsider to the scars problem I shouldn't be in this topic but I have a friend who did have it, so...
From my point of view, it's not a digusting/revolting habit, it's a scary one.
So please to whoever have it should stop, the people around you care for you.

FoxPhyre
06-13-2004, 03:30 AM
OOO OO I GET TO PUT MY 2 CENTS IN!
technical level, i trust ben nye stuff, so i agree with whoever suggested them. its really just a personal pref. but its good makeup for cosplay if you get the right series.
now, ooo the fun part. my moral opinion to those of you who have self-inflicted wounds: no matter the reason for doing these, wether it be for arcana, feeling alive, or simply because you dont like yourself. lets look at it rationally, listen to the plaid-clad-neko-sama! its not just about fiddling around with arcana if thats the reason. first rule.. you dont "fiddle" with arcana and thats as deep as im gonna go with that one... im not here to discuss religion and spiritualism, im here to discuss the need for you to understand how precious your life is... while i agree that what scars you may have shouldnt be worn with shame, sometimes you want to cover them for other reason such as cosplay... u shouldnt hide them from people for fear of what they will say... because it means you wont get help. each of you are special to someone. maybe more than just one person... the point is, any injury that breaks your skin is potentially life threatening. MAYBE NOT IMMEDIATELY, but in all possibility can lead to death in the right situation.. yeah plenty of kids do it, plenty of adults do it. and plenty die from it... u just dont hear about it because the media chooses not to run it over and over into the ground..
all that aside... i dont want to see nor hear about any of you on the news...or trhough this site that have commited accidental suicide. i dont even really like to hear that you cut yourself for whatever reason. all i want is to see everyone around me filled with joy and happiness.... im not telling you what to do or what not to do with your life and your body... but think about it from my perspective. all of you are beautiful in a special way, some of you have all around beauty, some have beautiful minds, and many have beautiful souls..... whatever you do to the body, affects the mind. and whatever you do to the mind affects the soul.... it pains me to see any of you take a piece of steel and drag it through your beauty. im here for you. any of you, as that is the spirit of this message board... friendship...

Hinata
06-13-2004, 06:00 PM
Thank you JunJun.. What you wrote was beautiful and true.
I should be proud of my scars, because they remind me of how I won.
Blood magick is pretty advanced, and most make animal sacrifices, which I think is lame. You aren't a true wiccan if you go around killing innocent animals.
Anyways, when I cut, its because the pain calms me down..

Juu-Sama
06-13-2004, 10:30 PM
[QUOTE=Hinata]
Blood magick is pretty advanced, and most make animal sacrifices [QUOTE]

animal sacrifices...X_X (faints)...DIE LITTLE CICADAS DIE!!!!!

okay, you all may go back on topic now X_X....now, has ANYONE figured out what to do with the bumpiness of skin? (or am I the only one this sadistic...)...No am NOT sadistic nor am I a mesochist...just have ALOT of pressure from asian parents X_X...

Juu-sama X_X

JunJun
06-13-2004, 11:36 PM
I think you're describing the sort of scarring is raised, and bumpy, instead of inverted. It looks kind of like a snagged, bunched thread in my opinion. Its similar to a Keloid in appearance at first, but does not keep growing as a keloid does (keloids are more frequently attributed to piercing and such). I think i read once that the more melanin in your skin, the more likely you are to have raised scars instead of flat/inverted ones.

They make over the counter treatments that range $15-45. They are usually band-aid like things, liquids or something like that. They are made for raised, discolored and otherwise very visible scars. I think these treatments take 1-3 months? I haven't used them, because my skin generally doesn't raise unless i pick at the wound ^^;;; There exist laser treatments for scars, but if you want to get rid of them, i suggest trying the over the counter treatments first.
My parents have suggested that i use such treatments for my scars, but i don't want to. They're not very visible (because i'm almost as pale as the scars), and they're an important part of me.

Juu-Sama
06-14-2004, 10:23 PM
They make over the counter treatments that range $15-45. They are usually band-aid like things, liquids or something like that. They are made for raised, discolored and otherwise very visible scars. I think these treatments take 1-3 months? I haven't used them, because my skin generally doesn't raise unless i pick at the wound ^^;;; There exist laser treatments for scars, but if you want to get rid of them, i suggest trying the over the counter treatments first.

one problem with the over the counter thingy is...I really don't want to expose my scarrings to more people than nessesary (very shy you see...) well, lazer removal may be a better idea...(still, very shy...)

thank you very much to the suggetions ^_^

Juu-sama ^_^

procrastinator
06-15-2004, 01:47 AM
well, with the over the counter stuff, basically it goes on over the scar and isn't very noticeable, a friend of mine had surgery and used it on her face, and the scar *did* decrease in noticeablilty.

Elf
06-15-2004, 04:02 AM
I come at this from a bit of a different perspective -- my scars aren't self-inflicted. Two years ago, I was in a car accident (run off the road by a drunk driver -- at 11:30 on a Sunday morning), and had all of the skin on my left arm from the shoulder to the elbow more or less ripped off. Sorry in advance if that's a bit too graphic for anyone! ^_^*

I know just how very, very hard it is to refrain from being self-conscious about things like this, and I know that sometimes people can make stupid and thoughtless remarks (I went to a private college with a lot of stereotypical sorority girls; I've heard just about everything you can think of). But those are stupid and thoughtless people, and they don't matter.

This may sound really cliche', but hopefully will be a bit more meaningful, coming from someone who has them -- a lot of them. Scars, no matter where they are, don't make you any less beautiful.

Also, most people really aren't observant enough to notice them. I have a six-inch long scar on my neck that protrudes where there's still glass under the skin (it couldn't be taken out because it was too close to a major nerve in my chin). I know that not a single person at A-Kon noticed it, and it is very, very rare that anyone even realizes that it's there.

It took me a year and a half to go out in public wearing short sleeves again, but when I did, no one said a word to me about my scars, and I could tell that only a very few people paid any attention to them, and it made me realize that I'd spent all of that time feeling self-conscious for nothing.

There's no covering my scars; no amount of putty or make-up that can hide them. Nothing short of dousing the entire top of my arm in many, many layers of latex. I know, because I've tried. But I don't need to, because they're who I am, and they're what I've lived through. They're a testament to how strong I am. And the same is true for all of you, no matter where those scars came from. :heart:

If you're interested in reducing the appearance of your scars, there are a copule of things that my surgeons suggested to me that really work. One is Vitamin E oil. You usually have to ask for it at whatever pharmacy you go to; they tend to keep it behind the counter because it's pretty costly as far as OTC herbal medecines go. Rub it directly onto your skin at least twice a day; it will soften the scars and make the color fade over time. It will also vastly aid in healing if put into an open wound and make the scar less noticable as it forms. Vitamin E pills can also be taken orally, and will help your body overall with healing itself more completely, forming less noticable scars, and reducing the appearance of the scars you already have. Right now, I take Vitamin E pills every day, and will be buying more of the oil once I get a job and don't have to watch what little money I have. ^_^*

Another method is Mederma, which is finally available OTC; it used to be perscription only. It can be expensive, depending on how much you have to use, it smells like bug cream, and you have to apply it three to four times a day, but it works like nothing else. My scarring is really extensive, so I don't use it (due to price, inconvenience, and hating the fact that it makes me reek like bug cream since I have to apply such a large amount of it), but it does work, and really well at that. (It works on stretchmarks, too.) It takes a few months, but it's about the most effective thing on the market. One of my friends who used to cut has used it for quite a while, and it's vastly improved the appearance of her scars.

The new Neosporin scar strips work well, too, according to my surgeons. The strips themselves are small, and tend to peel up if placed on a very mobile area of the body, but if you have only a few scars that are really noticable that you want to try to reduce, they're an easy and convenient route to go. I can't use them, because it takes half a box to cover my scars, and I'd be spending something like over $100 on the strips every month, but if you're only using two or three a day, a single box could last you for two months or more.

Your other option is laser surgery. It can help a great deal, but nothing will completely erase your scars, and any good surgeon will tell you that upfront. It's a nearly-instant fix, but it's incredibly expensive, and you can't go into it expecting to leave with flawless skin. I don't suggest something this extreme, but I also know that sometimes it's very hard to feel comfortable in your own body. If you feel that surgery is what it's going to take to make you comfortable again, then go for it, but like I said before, no matter where they are *and* no matter how you got them, scars don't make you any less beautiful, in the least.

Fatwetdog
06-15-2004, 06:10 AM
I have a tiny hypertrophic scar (the kind that is raised and purple but does not extend beyond the boundaries of the original wound. A keloid is just like that except it grows beyond where you had the wound.) I've been using Mederma pretty regularly, but it hasn't really helped so much. Though I know a little girl who smacked a giant X out of her forehead on the sidewalk, and religious applications of Mederma seem to be helping a lot.
My doctor shot it full of cortizone once and it went flat, but then it puffed up again. It does that. It's very annoying. I heard that a regular series of cortizone injections will get rid of it, which I'll probably try eventually if it's convenient. Mine is very small though, only about .5" long.
Annoyingly means I shouldn't get tattooed though, lest they get puffy and purple too. Le sigh.

Karisu-sama
06-15-2004, 09:11 AM
Cutting is indicative of a psychological dysfunction; generally from trying to transform the mental pain into a physical one so that it can be dealt with easier mentally. Unfortunately it doesn't deal with the underlying causes of the mental pain, which are the real issue.

Keloidal scars can be reduced for $$$ with topical steroid injections by a good dermatologist (my husband had a big puffy scar resulting from a scratched insect bite on his chest flattened in that manner, in one attempt) and redness can be reduced or removed by laser treatment.

Some people are more prone to keloidal scars (raised, persistantly reddish, extended beyond the original wound) than others. My niece has a nasty and rather large keloid on her arm from a simple vaccination injection. My own scars mostly tend to end up flat and eventually turn white. A person may incur both types. Everyone's mileage may vary.

People very prone to keloid scarring should be careful regarding several things, including tatooing and LASIK surgery....

Elf
06-15-2004, 04:45 PM
I have a tiny hypertrophic scar (the kind that is raised and purple but does not extend beyond the boundaries of the original wound. A keloid is just like that except it grows beyond where you had the wound.) I've been using Mederma pretty regularly, but it hasn't really helped so much. Though I know a little girl who smacked a giant X out of her forehead on the sidewalk, and religious applications of Mederma seem to be helping a lot.
My doctor shot it full of cortizone once and it went flat, but then it puffed up again. It does that. It's very annoying. I heard that a regular series of cortizone injections will get rid of it, which I'll probably try eventually if it's convenient. Mine is very small though, only about .5" long.
Annoyingly means I shouldn't get tattooed though, lest they get puffy and purple too. Le sigh.

A lot of it depends on how regularly you apply it and how old the scar is. For old scars, it can take six months to work, and even then you may need to continue to apply it. Unfortunately for things like this, there are no quick fixes. >_<

Xanthe Kelsylva
06-16-2004, 06:00 AM
This may sound really cliche', but hopefully will be a bit more meaningful, coming from someone who has them -- a lot of them. Scars, no matter where they are, don't make you any less beautiful.

That's so true-- just look how many Squall fangirls there are! In fact, I'm a pretty rabid Squall fangirl lol. He has a scar right down the middle of his forehead, and he's still HOT! And so is Seifer!

You know, I never made the connection before between my little scars and the scars that other people have. This discussion has really helped though, since no one has ever brought this up with me before. I know this sounds stupid, but it actually helped me to compare my scars to Squall's scar just now. It makes me feel a lot more accepting of them, even if Squall didn't really do anything that stupid lol.

makotohanabi
06-18-2004, 07:57 PM
I've heard from friends that the otc scar stuff works, but you have to use it for a few weeks to see any results. If the scars bother you could cover them with flesh toned body suit should be easy to find at any dance supply store, or cosplay someone who has their arms,legs, whatever covered.

No one really notices scars. My biggest scar (from a car accident when I was 8) goes over my left eyelid, and no pays any attention to it. I've never noticed other cosplayer's scars, I'm paying attention to the costumes.

Sipesh
06-18-2004, 11:20 PM
Hey, I'm riddled with scars from sugeries and the like, and I still dared to cosplay Tifa before, baring my middle... I call it "battle damage" ;) It's all about attitude.

OfTheFae
06-27-2004, 02:48 AM
I dont know where to start on this one... well first the makeup, Donít use self tanners if the scars are less then a year or year and a half old and still have that shine to them, from personal experience, it just darkens right around the scar and draws more attention to them! If your scars are thin, and faded, and you donít have alot of time, swing by your local drugstore with makeup and what not, sally Hanson came out with a product called flawless skin or something, its like airbrushing over your skin, its in a silver small aerosol can and works wonders, sometimes you may be between a shade, always go for the lighter, it's easier to cover with a concealer after, unless you by a shade under and above and mix them. The first layer doesnít seam to do well, but it takes going over it two or three times. I used this for prom, graduation, and family events because of my work down my arm. Ok about the cutting, I can kind of come from both sides, I see how sometimes it can be foolish, and be a easy way out, but i can see how its a release and art form to. I for one and not ashamed of it, Iíll admit to being a sadomasochist, but I look to scaring as a art form as I said, just like tattooing. My entire left arm shows this in a scrolling ivy pattern from my breast to my wrists, it's just hard explaining it to your family. Second thing is stopping it, I see a counselor and we talk about alot of things, including cutting. From what doctor's views of it is, its a form of addicting disorder, just like some people may become hooked on drugs, or liquor, cutting is a addiction, so it is hard to stop, but you can at least try, even if you cant fully stop, its better then nothing.

Lene
06-27-2004, 11:54 PM
Hrmm...it seems that everyone always notices this weird scar on my left arm, everytime I really short sleeves. I don't know how I got it, I probably got it from sleeping on something x.x I have this not so good habit on leaving a whole bunch of junk on my bed and just sleeping, and waking up to find out that I'm sleeping on something. Well one day I just had these two gashes in my arm, there was no blood or anything but they were just there. I left it alone but after a year, they're still noticiable and people do ask a lot x.x It annoys me slightly because my explanation for them is really weird ("Er...I'm not really sure, how I got them. Woke up and it was there") and then I get this look like 'yeah right...sure'.

Self tanning sounds interesting but I'm pretty dark already x.x I'm not sure how that's going to work. And I think it's too late for some of those creams to work. I guess I'm just going to have to deal with it and come up with an interesting story to how they got there hehe^^

kerochan
07-05-2004, 11:29 PM
what would be good for scabs from bug bites? I keep picking at them and one my costumes has short sleeves and the scabs go all the way from my shoulder to right below my elbow.

CCKip
04-21-2009, 10:23 PM
*pokes and revives, I apologize in advance for reviving a REALLY REALLY old thread* Found this thread by googling @_@ I've got the same problem that kerochan posted -_- Anything to cover them? They're all indented scars...and I've also got some on my face

Bleeding_Kunai
04-26-2009, 11:27 PM
O.O I'm glad I'm found this thread.

My legs and arms are horribly scarred ^^;

T^T Why must Misa Misa wear mini skirts?

CCKip
04-27-2009, 11:20 PM
Yeah, I'm real hesitant to cosplay as characters with short sleeves (as much as I really want to do them) because I have many scars on my arms, including one from when I flipped over on my bike and badly scraped my elbow. I've also got scars on my face in several places from where I've had to get stitches when I was younger. Is there anything I can do to cover these? I'm thinking Ben Nye concealer for my face...but I still don't know :/

Ashenine
04-28-2009, 01:08 PM
...bizarre thread,

try to experiment with different concealers and stick to the one you liked the most, this is because depending on how the skin reacts to the make up it will give a different look.

Powder, base, cream, go nuts.

there are also specialized creams that help with scars and stretchmarks among others.