PDA

View Full Version : How to make skin look flawless in photos

Dinahsprodigy
06-06-2004, 09:30 PM
Gah! Need. Help. I'm a girl, and I can't seem to look good in photos at cons (or anywhere else, for that matter). My skin's a little rough, and I have some acne...but how do I make my skin look really nice for photoshoots?

Help!

DP

archangeli
06-06-2004, 09:45 PM
Makeup for photos is slightly more heavier than what you'd normally use for real life. I'll jot down a few things but the best thing to do is to try out your con face, take a few photos and see how it turned out.

For cons, you have all kinds of lighting situations to think about. Where will it be - hotel, outside, dark convention center? What kind if lighting would you be under in those places?

- avoid sunscreens with titanium dioxide for photo makeup. when flash is used the TD in the sunscreen will reflect white making you look like a ghost!

Step 1: Moisturize as needed. Pay attention to cheecks, undereyes, eyelids, around nose and mouth.

Step 2: (optional) apply a makeup primer. this step is debated on between makeup artists but i love my makeup primer by Smashbox and i find that it helps make my makeup last longer and look fresher after 8 hours of wear. Most primers have a lot of silicone in them which act as slip agents - it makes the skin feel super smooth! (and no, it DOES NOT clog pores. silicone only sounds scary but it's in every skincare product if you read the labels).

Step 3: Concealer. This is crucial to hide scars, zits, discolorations, dark undereye circles. There are many good concealers out there. Find a good color match and a texture that you like. Many people swear by Cle de Peau, but if that's too expensive for you MAC, Clinique and even Revlon make some great concealers. Use a small concealer brush to dot product onto blemishes.

Step 4: Foundation. This is to even out the skin tone. It shouldn't look like you are wearing a mask of makeup on your face. The key is to find a great color that matches your face and blend, blend, blend! Apply with a damp sponge to get a sheer, natural application.

Step 5: Powder. A little bit of translucent powder dusted on top will set the face, help absorb oil and "finish" off the basic face.

You how have the perfect canvas. What you choose to do on top of it is completely up to you.

Be sure to emphasize the eyes as that is what stands out most in a person's face and makes them look alive. A little bit of blush will highlight cheekbones and your natural face structure. Lipstick or lipgloss finishes the look.

Essentially you want to have some color product on your face to reflect back the bright flash from a camera. If you don't have any color on your face you'll look washed out and ghostly.

Read Mikazuki's great thread on makeup brushes for more tips:
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=31258

Dinahsprodigy
06-07-2004, 09:38 AM
This looks great! Thank you so much. A girl friend of mine said she'd be happy to do my excess makeup, but I think the "canvas" is up to me.

Sarcasm-hime
06-08-2004, 01:06 AM
Oh, and clean your face before applying makeup--a gentle exfoliating scrub is good for getting rid of dry, dead skin. ^_^

JunJun
06-09-2004, 04:49 PM
By the way, to get my heavy photo makeup off, i use two products. First i use Clinique bar soap (which is WAY too harsh for every day use for me, but takes off makeup like a miracle) to take off everything but what is on my eyes. Then i use eye makeup remover for my eye makeup (durr). After that, i wash again with my every day cleanser (Cetaphil, because i am a delicate flower with rosacea), and moisturize. Yaaay.
Don't ever forget to take off the makeup! lol. Sometimes its so hard to not just fall asleep after a hard day of costuming :P

Niku-Sama
06-09-2004, 06:49 PM
At sephora stores and sephora.com i believe, they sell photo matte finishing powder. I am tempted to try it to see if it does anything.

archangeli
06-09-2004, 09:50 PM
Generally most loose powders are the same. the $2.99 one by NYC found in drugstores will rival the $40 sold by Laura Mercier... If you need to control oil I recomend blotting with a non-powdered sheet of tissue paper an then using a product like MAC's Blot Powder.

JunJun - I prefer to take eye makeup off first before washing the rest of my face. That way I can take off my mascara before I smear it all over the place ;)

JunJun
06-09-2004, 10:05 PM
Ahhh i don't wear mascara. i'll stick my fingers into my eyes for contacts, stick a pencil up to my eyes for liner, but god, mascara weirds me out. lol. I need to start trying it though *scared* I think it scares me because they put it on me for plays when i was little and i was very displeased about it.
That's a good point about the mascara though :)

Ohmygod i bought those Clean and Clear blotting papers for A-kon, and i just LOVE them. Ahhh. All i had to do all day was put a bit more powder on. They make you feel better just by seeing what yuckiness comes off on the paper!! lol. They're only $5 for 50, and i used roughly 3 or 4 for a full day of mucking around at a con. I heart them.

mikazuki
06-10-2004, 02:50 AM
If you don't like mascara try a clear one instead. When I was a teen and new to contacts I wore the clear stuff.

Lady_Sephiroth
06-12-2004, 12:31 PM
For a base for the makeup-impaired (IE Me) I use this stuff that Cover Girl makes, it's a foundation, concealer and powder set all in one (although by Sunday sometimes I need more help in the concealer department.) It's one-step, and nearly goof-proof. It comes in all kinds of skin tones too.

procrastinator
06-12-2004, 01:15 PM
What I do before a big event, is exfoliate and do a mask. It makes your skin so smooth! And makeup goes on much more evenly on smooth skin. I use Proactiv, so it exfoliates every time i wash my face, but the mask I use is Clean and Clear. I like how it smells... kinda medicine-y, which makes me feel like my face is getting cleaner. Haha. It's the cheap and easy way for good photo skin, i guess.

Mei
06-13-2004, 01:07 AM
I have a question:

I don't use concealer or foundation on my forehead because I don't need it. However, I do use both on my cheeks, and it looks fine when I'm out. However, when I have my picture taken, there is a two-tone look (where you can see the makeup and where you can't). Is there any way for me to avoid using makeup on those areas (because it makes my skin very oily and generally disgusting) while correcting this?

Fatwetdog
06-13-2004, 01:36 AM
I don't think so... the two-tone effect is probably the light from the camera reflecting differently off of the makeup. It might work if you just use powder over your whole face, and use foundation only on your cheeks, but I'm not sure. Do you use a matte-finish oil-free foundation?

Mei
06-13-2004, 04:59 PM
Yes and no. I use a mattifier under my makeup, and apply it over problematic surfaces, but not oil-free anything, really.

HuongStar
06-14-2004, 10:34 AM
I'm a girl, and I can't seem to look good in photos at cons (or anywhere else, for that matter). My skin's a little rough, and I have some acne...but how do I make my skin look really nice for photoshoots?
In order to have flawless skin, you'll need to start with appropriate skincare. :)

Cleanse your skin and follow with an exfoliating scrub. Rinse and apply an alcohol-free toner/astringent; apply any topical acne products as needed. Follow with a skin perfector/make-up primer like Idealist (http://www.esteelauder.com/templates/products/sp_nonshaded.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY5860&PRODUCT_ID=PROD1679) to fill in pores, minimize oil, and reduce blotchiness/redness. Afterwards, use a moisturizer with light reflectors (http://www.revlon.com/product.asp?ProductID=6237&Mode=brand) to impart a glow and even out the skin tone without "masking" the face. Follow it up with some eye cream if necessary.

If you have blemishes and/or undereye circles, apply a yellow-based, oil-free creme concealer with a concealer brush sparingly to the corresponding areas and blend well. After your skin is properly prepped and moisturized, add a subtle flush of color with a tiny bit of gel/liquid blush (http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P1272) applied to where you naturally flush (nose, cheeks, chin, and forehead). Cremes & gels impart a much more natural and transparent look; the color looks as though it's coming from within and not caked on top of your skin. Best of all, you can use the same product for your lips & cheeks!

Dust a yellow-based loose translucent powder on the face, neck, and any exposed chest for a "warm" look unless you are trying to achieve a pale appearance. This also keeps you from looking two-toned in pictures (chest and face different colors)!

Shape your brows accordingly and lightly fill any sparse spots with brow powder (pencils look too harsh); set into place with a clear mascara. Eyedrops always help as does curling the eyelashes to achieve a bright-eyed appearance; follow with a coat or two of mascara (black for brunettes, black/brown for light hair, brown/auburn for red hair). If you have dark eyelids, use a matte skintone eyeshadow, applied from the lash base to the eyebrow and blend with your fingertips. I've used a white eyeliner to brighten the inside rim of the lower eyelid but forgo eyeliner unless your character calls for it.

If your lips are chapped, buff them lightly with a wet toothbrush and then apply clear lip balm; the same gel/liquid blush (http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P1272) used above can be added over the lip balm.

This may sound like a million different steps & products but this is all I use for everyday life and for most of my cosplay. It will impart a polished but natural appearance which is age appropriate and timeless. This will suit most skin tones unless you border on the extreme ends of the skin color palette.

Xanthe Kelsylva
06-15-2004, 10:51 PM
I'm assuming that most of you are only wearing this much makeup for pictures, but just in case, a quick warning: you should not wear this much makeup every day. No exceptions. In fact, it's better to wear makeup only when you are modelling for pictures or being in a show of some sort. If you wear it every day, it will ruin your skin years later. Basically, it speeds up the aging process and your skin will wrinkle faster and more dramatically when you get older. It's best to go without makeup as much as possible, as much as you may feel you need it. The same goes for getting a tan if you have fair skin-- don't do it no matter how pressured you are; it ruins your skin later.

Another thing to factor in if you want to look better for pictures is photography techniques and lighting (which I'll admit is difficult at a con). If possible, use natural day light, it's more flattering than any articifial lighting. However, even natural light is very unflattering when it's the middle of a bright sunny day. Even plants look ugly in the wrong light-- I know from experience. The shadows are too harsh and the colors get distorted in the wrong light. Even with a lot of make up, the harsh shadows will make you look ugly if the lighting is bad. Another thing I've noticed is that for some reason people appear to have flawless skin if the picture's in black and white. I don't know how that works, but it does with me anyways.

It's possible to look flawlessly beautiful in a picture without the use of any makeup. In the 19th century, people did not wear makeup, yet they all have flawless skin in the photographs. There's no way to know how they looked out side of photographs, but in every last photo in my huge collection, everyone has perfect skin. They didn't even seem to age as fast as people do now. There's one picture of my great-great grandmother where she's obviously middle aged already (the picture is from the 1890's or so and she was born in the 1840's) but she looks like she's in her 20's. To me, that proves that it's best not to wear any makeup.

Also, a lot of how you look is only your perception. I'm constantly noticing acne and slight flaws in my skin and don't do anything about it, but no one else notices. In fact, they see it as flawless and ask me how I get it like that. I tell them I'm too lazy to wear makeup.

And as for eye make up and all that, unless you're doing stage makeup, less is better than more. A few years ago, there was a girl in my class who wore a ton of eye makeup every single day. All you could see was what looked like a huge, unnatural shadow around her eyes, and it was quite unattractive. The last day of school, we had an assembly and they were showing slides of random pictures that were taken throughout the year. When she saw how she looked with all that eye makeup, she was horrified. She frantically asked everyone if she really looked that bad and everyone pointed out that she made herself look like that.

Ashe
06-15-2004, 11:08 PM
In the 19th century, people did not wear makeup, yet they all have flawless skin in the photographs. There's no way to know how they looked out side of photographs, but in every last photo in my huge collection, everyone has perfect skin.

Part of that is diet and lifestyle, part of it is the lack of color photography. I love black and white photos, becaus they give me flawless skin, too. =p

Miyabi-
06-16-2004, 09:26 PM
Ahhh make-up......
For a good photo-ready face this is my routine:
First, wash your face with a wash made for your skin-type. Moisturize with a light moisturizer and let it soak in for a few minutes before you apply your make-up. For make-up application:
I have normal skin and a slightly shiny t-zone, so first I put a mattifying gel on my nose and forehead (Cliniques brand is fan-frigging-tastic!($12.50) Use concealer as needed (Max Factors Erasestick is great stuff and it's only around $4!) Then I apply a foundation with a light diffusing effect (Revlon Skinlights is nice$10.99). This helps to even out your skin tone.
I choose one feature to emphesize (usually my eyes) because putting heavy make up on your lids AND your lips just looks tacky...so if you choose to put your eyes in the spotlight just use a clear gloss on your lips(I like Bonne Bell's mint flavored gloss...gloss and breath freshener in one!) and if you highlight your lips keep your eye makeup neautral (Maybelline's Cool Effect in Chill The Champaigne is shimmery but subtle $5) The best mascara I ever bought was Maybellines Lash Discovery Waterproof in Black $5. The brush is tiny so you get every lash and it's safe if you wear contact lenses. For a wide-eyed look, lightly line top lids with a dark brown/black eyepencil and then apply a thin,smudgy, line of liner on your lower eyelids from the middle of your eye to the outer corner.
This is what works for me anyways! ^_^

Mei
06-17-2004, 11:18 PM
There is something that the line Benefit makes called "Dr. Feelgood." It's a sort of primer for the face (anyone familiar with the geiko? It's kinda like bintsuke abira [facial wax]). Not only does it help the makeup go on smoother and relatively oil-free, it also has vitamins C and E to help improve facial skin. Great for using under makeup or alone, but it's expensive ($24; Sephora.com; Nordstrom; Hechts).

Honey Bunny
06-19-2004, 03:18 AM
Wow you guys have a lot of interesting con-makeup advice to give.
My only question is what stores sell makeup primers? I've never heard of Smash Box brand, let alone a store that sells them. Do any major make up brands (Ie Estee Lauder, Lancome etc...) or Drug Store brands distribute quality primers?

Kaze
06-19-2004, 01:14 PM
Okay, I've looked over this thread and personally I don't wear any makeup on a daily basis. I'll admit I don't really have a signifigant need for it.

Anyway, I have very oily-greasy skin and a few zits here and there. How can I cover this, look nice, and wear as little as possible.

nekhochan
06-23-2004, 12:20 AM
I find that Mineral Makeup, made by such brands as bare essentials, youngblood and jane iredale, looks absolutly amazing in photos. It has light reflective properties that make your skin look flawless, and never creates that two toned neck/face thing. its also fabulous for people with sensitive and acne prone skin.

Mei
06-23-2004, 12:24 AM
Where can I find brands like that?

Luinnelle
06-23-2004, 12:27 AM
In the 19th century, people did not wear makeup, yet they all have flawless skin in the photographs. There's no way to know how they looked out side of photographs, but in every last photo in my huge collection, everyone has perfect skin. They didn't even seem to age as fast as people do now.
Actually...women wore tons of makeup in the 19th century....they had entire vanities devoted completely to powdering their faces and such. We studied this in history last year. ^_^

nekhochan
06-23-2004, 12:28 AM
I'm assuming that most of you are only wearing this much makeup for pictures, but just in case, a quick warning: you should not wear this much makeup every day. No exceptions. In fact, it's better to wear makeup only when you are modelling for pictures or being in a show of some sort. If you wear it every day, it will ruin your skin years later. Basically, it speeds up the aging process and your skin will wrinkle faster and more dramatically when you get older. It's best to go without makeup as much as possible, as much as you may feel you need it. The same goes for getting a tan if you have fair skin-- don't do it no matter how pressured you are; it ruins your skin later.

Another thing to factor in if you want to look better for pictures is photography techniques and lighting (which I'll admit is difficult at a con). If possible, use natural day light, it's more flattering than any articifial lighting. However, even natural light is very unflattering when it's the middle of a bright sunny day. Even plants look ugly in the wrong light-- I know from experience. The shadows are too harsh and the colors get distorted in the wrong light. Even with a lot of make up, the harsh shadows will make you look ugly if the lighting is bad. Another thing I've noticed is that for some reason people appear to have flawless skin if the picture's in black and white. I don't know how that works, but it does with me anyways.

It's possible to look flawlessly beautiful in a picture without the use of any makeup. In the 19th century, people did not wear makeup, yet they all have flawless skin in the photographs. There's no way to know how they looked out side of photographs, but in every last photo in my huge collection, everyone has perfect skin. They didn't even seem to age as fast as people do now. There's one picture of my great-great grandmother where she's obviously middle aged already (the picture is from the 1890's or so and she was born in the 1840's) but she looks like she's in her 20's. To me, that proves that it's best not to wear any makeup.

Also, a lot of how you look is only your perception. I'm constantly noticing acne and slight flaws in my skin and don't do anything about it, but no one else notices. In fact, they see it as flawless and ask me how I get it like that. I tell them I'm too lazy to wear makeup.

And as for eye make up and all that, unless you're doing stage makeup, less is better than more. A few years ago, there was a girl in my class who wore a ton of eye makeup every single day. All you could see was what looked like a huge, unnatural shadow around her eyes, and it was quite unattractive. The last day of school, we had an assembly and they were showing slides of random pictures that were taken throughout the year. When she saw how she looked with all that eye makeup, she was horrified. She frantically asked everyone if she really looked that bad and everyone pointed out that she made herself look like that.

Can I ask you what information you have to back up the fact that you believe makeup ages your face? Because its false. In fact, when makeup is worn, applied and brands used that have safe ingredients, makeup can HELP your skin by providing sun protection and even have ingredients in it to treat the signs of aging. New mineral based makeups can even help those who suffer from rosachea or inflamation as the minerals are a natural anti-inflammatory and soothe the skin. If someone was to apply a nasty makeup that contained ingredients like mineral oils that clog pores, and that didn't have an spf and they had lots of sun exposure, and applied it with improper technique and somehow damaged their skin by pulling, scraping, tearing or excessively rubbing the skin then maybe they could do damage. Also sleeping in makeup is terrible, so thats another way makeup could be harmful. But otherwise makeup is harmless. I actually take comfort in the fact that there is something on my skin between me and the aweful polluted air we live in.

But I must agree about the sun exposure. Its aweful and so not worth it. All your doing is lining the pockets of tanning bed companies today, and plastic surgeons, dermatologists and cancer specialists in the future.

nekhochan
06-23-2004, 01:02 AM
Where can I find brands like that?

Well, Bare Essentials is sold through some department stores and on QVC or one of those home shopping channels. Bare Essentials is also sold at ULTA stores and in some malls they even have their own store.

Youngblood can be bought from http://www.makeupartistschoice.com They even sells sample packages for light, medium and dark skin tones. So you can try out the stuff for less than 10 bucks, and make sure you get the right shade.

Jane Iredale can be found in salons, spas and even some dermatologists and plastic surgeons offices. Its kinda an upper class more expensive and exclusive line, and I don't find that its any better than the other two I've mentioned already.

Mei
06-24-2004, 11:26 PM
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but do your makeup in either natural light or something close to natural light. That way, your colors will look nice, and the colors won't appear to be different from the light which you applied your makeup in and daylight. Won't do any good to look like Death's sister or a drag queen.

BountyBebopLuva
06-25-2004, 02:51 AM
*blinks* damn, better win the lottery so I can look good in my photos.

Mei
06-25-2004, 03:20 AM
It's sooo worth it, though...of course, if this is a one-time investment, try and be sneaky and get the "sample" sizes.

Lottie
06-29-2004, 05:38 PM
This helps a lot! *is makeup impared* I shall have to keep an eye out for these products.

I have a question! My face is waaay to shiny, mainly my forehead and my nose, what are some good products to help take the shine away?

Chanté
06-29-2004, 10:26 PM
I almost always have a "glowy" (aka shiny), makeup-less face which, needless to say, looks decent in real life but looks bad in photos. ^^; For conventions, I use Loreal's Mattique foundation - as the name implies, it does a great job giving your face a matte look. ^_^

Cyber Wolf
06-30-2004, 12:02 AM
Can I ask you what information you have to back up the fact that you believe makeup ages your face? Because its false. In fact, when makeup is worn, applied and brands used that have safe ingredients, makeup can HELP your skin by providing sun protection and even have ingredients in it to treat the signs of aging. New mineral based makeups can even help those who suffer from rosachea or inflamation as the minerals are a natural anti-inflammatory and soothe the skin. If someone was to apply a nasty makeup that contained ingredients like mineral oils that clog pores, and that didn't have an spf and they had lots of sun exposure, and applied it with improper technique and somehow damaged their skin by pulling, scraping, tearing or excessively rubbing the skin then maybe they could do damage. Also sleeping in makeup is terrible, so thats another way makeup could be harmful. But otherwise makeup is harmless. I actually take comfort in the fact that there is something on my skin between me and the aweful polluted air we live in.

But I must agree about the sun exposure. Its aweful and so not worth it. All your doing is lining the pockets of tanning bed companies today, and plastic surgeons, dermatologists and cancer specialists in the future.

That's true, makeup doesn't age your face, it actually protects it. What determines how quickly or severly you'll age is based on how much collagen your skin contains. Fairer people have less and darker people have more(collagen). *Dad told her this* :3 He's a scientist so...I trust him >>

Olivia
06-30-2004, 12:50 AM
Ok, 'un, it ain't gonna happen. I putt pounds of powder and pounds of foundation on before taking photos and I still look horrible. That's why I have photoshop so I can fix the bags under my eyes easily :thumbsup:

Eleryth
06-30-2004, 01:06 AM
What about redness? I find that in nearly every photo, I'm just crazy red! I don't know much about makeup, and I usually only put on a foundation from MAC (it's a powdery thing, sorta... in a black case, with a little sponge thing inside). I just get red quickly - sports, laughing, embarrassment - you name it. I look like a sunburned cherrry.

Am I supposed to apply something in an opposite color to even it out? Problem is, I am not that red *all* the time, so I can't tell when putting on makeup if it will do anything.

Help?

Chanté
06-30-2004, 03:56 AM
What about redness? I find that in nearly every photo, I'm just crazy red! I don't know much about makeup, and I usually only put on a foundation from MAC (it's a powdery thing, sorta... in a black case, with a little sponge thing inside). I just get red quickly - sports, laughing, embarrassment - you name it. I look like a sunburned cherrry.

Am I supposed to apply something in an opposite color to even it out? Problem is, I am not that red *all* the time, so I can't tell when putting on makeup if it will do anything.

Help?
Look for a product (concealer) that's meant to cover up redness - search your local drugstore. You'll notice that it's typically a sea green shade - that's because sea green tones out the red and leaves your face a neutral color. I don't know if stuff like that is available for the entire face (it's usually to cover up pimples and smaller red discolorations), but I don't see why you couldn't try it.

nekhochan
07-05-2004, 12:09 AM
if you are always that red you might want to explore the idea that you might have rosachea. In that case, you can use topical prescriptions to keep yourself less red. Check with a dermatologist to know for sure.

dchan
07-05-2004, 11:19 AM
if you are always that red you might want to explore the idea that you might have rosachea. In that case, you can use topical prescriptions to keep yourself less red. Check with a dermatologist to know for sure.

Well, but she already said that she's not red all of the time :x

On of my biggest problems for red-ness is my chest... x.x;; ... again its not there MOST of the time, but if I get embarassed or anything it turns bright red. I've attempted to put make-up on before but I generally end up being red for a long time after I apply it x.x;

Killmesarah
07-07-2004, 11:34 AM
The best stuff I have ever used is called "Pan-cake" makeup from Max factor. It is in a blue, round, flat container, pressed dry. You would buy a sea-sponge(ask lady in store if you can't find), wet it down, squeeze it out and then rub it in the pan'cake make-up. Cover your whole face with it, and it will look like you just photo-shopped your face! It really works miricles! I wore it to my wedding, and my face looked flawless.
FYI though- SCRUB your face afterwards, because if you don't get it all off, it DESTROYS your pores!

Sarah-san

China-Lilly
07-07-2004, 09:28 PM
Eleryth,

For redness, I'd suggest a yellow-toned concealer, rather than a green one. Reason being, if you don't blend properly, or don't put on enough foundation over the colour corrector - you'll end up looking green!

It could simply be though, that whatever foundation you're using simply isn't offering enough coverage. Switch to one with more coverage - even though it covers more, doesn't mean it doesn't have a natural looking finish.

I agree with Killmesarah - Max Factor Pancake and Panstick too, are great products. But be careful not to be too heavy handed with these. Panstick also makes an awesome concealer for under eye circles. Using a damp sponge with panstick sheers the finish, so you are able to get almost any level of coverage you want. Same with pancake - the amount of water on the sponge controls how much coverage you get.

dchan - MAC makes a great foundation for body called MAC Face & Body foundation. I don't think it will cancel out your situation totally, because it sounds like you flush red from time to time, but wearing a foundation on your chest should make your flush less obvious.

kiddevil
07-10-2004, 02:58 PM
This helps a lot! *is makeup impared* I shall have to keep an eye out for these products.

I have a question! My face is waaay to shiny, mainly my forehead and my nose, what are some good products to help take the shine away?

There is this stuff I use from Clean&Clear called Invisible Shine-Control Powder. It works really well to hide the shinyness, at least for me it did. ^^

AlacLGane
07-22-2004, 03:55 PM
I take that all this (minus the eyeliner, eyeshadow, blam, etc. unless duely needed) would work for men, too? My skin always looks so shiny, even after washing my face and exfoliating (yes, I do.. It's healthy)... Oily skin sucks.

..Sorry if this has been said already, but I didn't check, and I don't know if you can delete posts.

Maiyu.C
08-08-2004, 01:44 PM
For loose powder, this is a pretty good one:
http://www.ettusais.co.jp/amulet/dap.html

It is by Ettusais. I'm not sure where you can get it in the US as I don't get mine from the US. I usually get mine when I go back to Japan.

The benefits of this is that:
It has minerals. A,C and E and also has a SPF of 15. And it is also light and works as an absorbing powder for those with oily skin. The website boasts that it is basically a loose powder that acts as moisturizer. But loose powders that act like moisturizers are the craze in Japan. It is nothing very new.

Ettusais also makes good concealers. It is called Ettusais Whitening Concealer. It helps whitens the scars on your face so I use it regularly even when I sleep! It has helped me lighten the scars on my face from pimples.

katabulous
08-08-2004, 02:16 PM
Arrrgh. Most people consider me lucky because I have nearly flawless skin.
BUT; in con photos I always look sweaty, flushed and tired. (Puffy, shiny, obscenely rosey cheeks)

Anyone got any advice?

AnimesChild65
08-08-2004, 02:19 PM
wow...::writes everything down:: question! How do I make my skin look REALLY pale for when I'm cosplaying Kanna? I have freckles and I'm slightly tan, so it doesn't always work out....

China-Lilly
08-08-2004, 09:33 PM
For those of you with oily skin - you can try a T-zone mattifier. These are usually silicone-based products with oil-absorbing properties. I personally prefer Chanel T-mat. But only use a tiny amount (pea-size or smaller), otherwise you can get streaking. I use this underneath makeup, so it's the first thing on my skin.

A cheaper alternative is Milk of Magnesia. This is an antacid sold for babies. Just shake the bottle to make the solid and liquid mix, put on a cotton pad and swipe evenly on face. Wait til it's absolutely dry, and check for white streaks. It helps to buff the face with another (dry) cotton pad to make sure when it's dry. Then apply makeup normally over it. I'm not sure how well this photographs though, but it keeps me matte for many hours.

The next best thing is powder. Mattifiers are good when you don't want to keep touching-up, but re-powdering also helps. MAC Blot is a good one because it mattifies without adding colour, which can make your base cake up. Jurlique Silk Dust is good at oil controlling, but it's white and I don't think it's completely translucent, so a light touch is needed.

AnimesChild65 - I wouldn't advise going too light unless you're prepared to go all the way with foundation, concealer, powder and constant retouches. I think it would be fairly easy to go one or two shades lighter with a slightly lighter tinted moisturiser or foundation, concealer for freckles (if you want to cover them) and powder over with a lighter powder. I usually go for a pale yellow powder and not white because the yellow counteracts redness in my skin which makes me look paler anyway.

Chaos o^.^o
08-14-2004, 05:19 PM
I sorta envy you. I'm so pale when people take pictures I dissappear and you see the green eye and red hair.

ADDBunnyOfDoom
09-06-2004, 02:39 PM
Hey, I just wanted to say first of all, thanks for all tof the makeup tips! I read this article after I cleaned out my old makeup case so I knew what to buy. I followed all the base makeup tips, and my face looks awesome!

Also, I'm not sure if this has been metioned or is either a given or not very well known, but you should get concealer one shade lighter than your skin colour. It covers darker colored blemishes like scars and zits. Thanks, and I hope I was of some help!

Marychan
09-10-2004, 09:27 PM
Oh wow thank you to all who post a tip on how to properly put on make-up. I mean I definitely know nothing about it, my mom always rant about how she never wore makeup until she was married when she bought me my first and only Make-up kit, and I have no older sister to guide and share makeup tips with me. So thanks to all that posted.

And I scarcely wear makeup; actually I only do when I have a dance performance in a great theatre or another vital venue.

Although I’m still am a little confuse.
When I apply foundation it never seem to completely smooth out the rough pores on my features.
I mean how do you get a face to look as smooth and flawless as those you see on celebrity.
Am I not wearing enough foundation?
Is the makeup too heavy to attempt?

Also what is the significance of powder ?
I only use foundation since I see no significance of powder it only seem superfluous.
And and I don’t know when to touch-ups, I can’t tell if I need to or not?

YES PLEASE HELP!

Sarcasm-hime
09-10-2004, 11:39 PM
Remember that celebrity pictures, especially in magazines, are airbrushed and Photoshopped to look so flawless. They don't really have skin like that. Just look at candid pictures of celebrities in tabloids...they look just like ordinary people.

That said, however, there are products that can help smooth your face. Cleaning and exfoliating will help. However if you have rough/bumpy pores, makeup will not change that; it will only help disguise it. Make sure to clean and moisturize your face before putting on makeup; that'll help.

Powder is good to keep your face from getting shiny. It also helps set the colour depending on what kind of foundation you're using.

Chanté
09-11-2004, 02:48 AM
Some might disagree, but I don't think shiny ("glowy") is all that bad. Glowy faces are back "in" now in the fashion world, and after trying different things, I noticed that it doesn't always look so bad at all in photos:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=166777

I use Burt's Bees tomato soap and toner, then lots of Dove day lotion for sensitive skin. (I hope I haven't said this before somewhere in this thread, it's kind of old and I might have forgotten ^^; )

If there's one thing I've noticed (split into two parts):
1) If my skin is dry (say, I wash/tone it but skip the lotion to "avoid a shiny face")... it will compensate later on by making its own "lotion" - i.e, oil (which is often greasy and disgusting-looking after a day of eating cafeteria food and stuff).
2) Shine from lotion and face care products ALWAYS looks better than shine from the oil my face makes.

So yeah, keep the face clean and keep it moisturized! :)

Marychan
09-11-2004, 04:33 PM
thank you sarcasm-hime for the insight.

So its better to not use powder then?

Cheetos
09-12-2004, 01:18 AM
I think to use or not use powder really depends on your skin type-- if your face gets oily frequently, then you probably want to, since it will show through the make up.

I also like to use powder because it helps other make-up products stay put, not to mention, gives a finished look :)

Kagz
09-17-2004, 01:24 PM
Well this has been really helpful... I don't take care of my skin at all. Sad I know but its done ok so far. I will eventually do some EGL when I finish my costume and all. So I wanted that pale skin, problem is I have naturally dark olive complected skin because Im native american. So I wanted to get that really pale and at first though if I just got a really light ... er foundation or whatever its called and smothered myself with it I would be ok? But then I though no your an idiot why don't you ask someone. So here I am. Please help.

number18
09-30-2004, 02:07 AM
While on this flawless skin thing, I'd like to share something I saw on the Style channel a few days ago concerning how to properly wash your face.

1 - Wash your face once a day, at night. If you only wash your face once a day, it is crucial you do it before bedtime rather than in the morning. This is because if you apparently go to sleep without washing your face, you have bacteria partying hard on your face all night long.

2- Wash your hands before you wash your face. This is to prevent rubbing all the bacteria on your hands onto your face. Makes a lot of sense, huh?

3- Splash your face a few times with warm water to open your pores. Using very hot water is no good for your skin.

4- Wash your face with your cleanser. Start at the forehead, and then work your way down. Don't forget the hairline and neck. Gel cleansers apparently work best for most types because they cling to the dirt particles better.

5- Rinse off your face with cool water.

6- Gently pat your face dry with a clean towel. Don't rub it down. I forget why patting is more important. :P

7- And usually at this point, I think you're done. But for me, I use a stridex pad to further clean and slap protective medicine stuff on my skin.

I've been following this routine, cleaning my face twice daily, for about 2 weeks now, and for someone who has is always breaking out on her forehead and cheeks, it's helped a lot. I've also been careful to wash my hands more often during the day and to not touch my face as much. I'm not sure how much that helps, but I'm fairly sure it must do something.

I'd expect to have pretty clear skin in another week or so, but I'm due to get my period by that time, and I'm sure a good number of you deal with the PMS breakout, too. :untrust: But we'll see! :bigtu:

shestoxiclike
10-01-2004, 04:45 PM
There is this stuff I use from Clean&Clear called Invisible Shine-Control Powder. It works really well to hide the shinyness, at least for me it did. ^^

if you use baby powder, just regular old baby powder, it works the same for only about $1 or $2. thats for the smallest size, and ive had it for a couple months now, and use it everyday. it gets rid of the shine, redness, and makes your skin look really smooth. but the only bad thing with it is that it lightens your skin a little bit, but if you put a bronzer ontop, your skin looks pretty much perfect.

China-Lilly
10-05-2004, 12:35 AM
xDarkMistressx - For large pores, the long-term way to help this is to use AHA/BHA products - although I do believe pore size is genetic and not something that can be totally changed. An instant fix for large pores in Clinique Pore Minimiser Instant Perfector. You use this under makeup.

Good skin or not, makeup really brings out your features and makes you appear more 'there' if that makes sense. This is because makeup reflects light differently to bare skin. Oily skin or not, I still recommend powdering because with the wrong lighting, even some sheen on the skin can appear like a greasy complexion! Powder also helps your foundation last longer. Usually, you'll need a touch-up after a few hours - if you see shine, powder!

Kagz - You can go lighter with foundation but be aware that it may not look natural. The lighter you want to go, the heavier the coverage you'll need. And the heavier the coverage, the more you can see the makeup. To not appear blotchy once the makeup starts to fade, you will need to constantly touch up. On the up side, even if you're makeup looks unnatural in person, it can still appear great in photos - but it's no easy task to go lighter and maintain it.

Fluffymaru
01-27-2005, 12:51 AM
Awesome advice...I hope this thread isn't dead.

Question: I have a hard time finding a foundation that matches my skin tone. At the Estee Lauder counter, they always want to make you look tan, so I stopped going there. When I try to guess with cheaper stuff at Target, I always guess wrong, and foundation isn't cheap. Once, I bought too light, and last time, I turned out looking slightly orange. Do I just keep making logical guesses until I get it right?

Pink Bunnie
01-27-2005, 01:00 AM
If you take a look at my red plaid wedding dress in my gallery I was broken out when we shot those pics. I also have facial scarring. My answer was stage make up. Its thick and nasty but for a photo shoot it works wonders. Alot of well known cosplayers wear stage make up at cons.

Theres a variety of stage make up concealers. Designed to cover under eye bags and red blemishes. Basically I take the color out of my face using those and reapply color by adding stage make up. Then you do all the usual make up blush, eyeshadow, ect. To find the color that worked best with my skin tone I just went in to a store that carried stage make up and had somebody there match it. Otherwise if you order online its trial and error.

My bf also informs me in photographs the more dark and shadowed your face is the more blemishes will show. The more light and flat your face is the less they will show. Contrast = bad.

heki-chan
01-27-2005, 01:24 AM
I don't wear foundation or anything on a daily-basis, only for special events & photoshoots. (Because like someone said, it really does age skin much faster)

Bad/Oily skin runs in my family, so it's a really big pain when it comes to taking photos and stuff...
Last year I found this foundation that is sheer, but has "photospheres" in it that reflects light so skin "appears" flawless but isnt caked with foundation. Its by Prescriptives...

I used it for AN04 and OMFG i really saw a difference in my photos... *_*
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=140828
^im on the right...my skin never looks like that in photos--so really, I swear by this stuff *0*

Rippin Kitten
02-05-2005, 06:35 PM
A lot of people have asked about Oily skin, but my problem is dry skin - mostly the areas around my eyes. I always moisturize before putting on foundation, and i've even stopped using powders, but my skin is still extremely dry when I put makeup on - and it gets worse throughout the day. I'd like to add that the skin around my eyes is VERY sensitive and I can't use most moisturizers on it.

Does anyone have any good tips, or good gel-based eye moisturizers I can try?

dead pixle
02-05-2005, 07:08 PM
Once in a while I get 'under the skin' zits, they are a real pain because they take forever to go away, and I'm prone to scarring. Are their any tips to help speed the healing process and prevent scarring?
Note: I susually just wash my face twice a day with a Meutrogena facial wash and mosturize with Este Lauder Day Wear. I also do not wear makeup on a regular basis.

archangeli
02-05-2005, 10:44 PM
A lot of people have asked about Oily skin, but my problem is dry skin - mostly the areas around my eyes. I always moisturize before putting on foundation, and i've even stopped using powders, but my skin is still extremely dry when I put makeup on - and it gets worse throughout the day. I'd like to add that the skin around my eyes is VERY sensitive and I can't use most moisturizers on it.

Does anyone have any good tips, or good gel-based eye moisturizers I can try?

Check out Caudalie's Crčme Contour Des Yeux (available at Sephora). It is a light gel-based formula, no oils at all, fragrance-free.

Bobbi Brown also makes an eye balm that is very moisturing - one of the richest on the market. You only need a tiny bit and it goes a long way.

Once in a while I get 'under the skin' zits, they are a real pain because they take forever to go away, and I'm prone to scarring. Are their any tips to help speed the healing process and prevent scarring?
Note: I susually just wash my face twice a day with a Meutrogena facial wash and mosturize with Este Lauder Day Wear. I also do not wear makeup on a regular basis.

I feel your pain. Every now and then I get a red "bump" that you can't pop and it takes SO long to go away. It leaves a mark on my face for a good 3 weeks afterwards, but fades eventually.

I use EL Daywear SPF 15 as well, and about 2-3 different cleansers depending on which one I grab first.

The only thing I can suggest is maybe an AHA/BHA to help the scarring fade faster since it promotes exfoliation.

dead pixle
02-05-2005, 11:48 PM
I feel your pain. Every now and then I get a red "bump" that you can't pop and it takes SO long to go away. It leaves a mark on my face for a good 3 weeks afterwards, but fades eventually.

I use EL Daywear SPF 15 as well, and about 2-3 different cleansers depending on which one I grab first.

The only thing I can suggest is maybe an AHA/BHA to help the scarring fade faster since it promotes exfoliation.

Damn my half-asian skin. D:

Pink Bunnie
02-06-2005, 04:49 AM
thank you sarcasm-hime for the insight.

So its better to not use powder then?

Lord no! Powder is your best friend in a photo shoot. Its one of the most important elements in looking good. If you want the glittery luminescent look put it on over powder. So you matte out the unattractive shine and put in the glowing shine. Oily greasy shine is not attractive and powder is your best weapon against it. Also sets your make up in place and helps hide blemishes. Carry it around at a convention as well so if you get hot you can reduce the glare from flash photography.

My bf is a master's photography student at CalArts and its one of the biggest things he preaches to people not used to being photographed in a shoot is to bring powder.

angellover02171
02-07-2005, 02:43 PM
if yo have dry skin you might want to try putting a little vaseline on your skin, or use cream makeups. use a cream shadow and power shadow thatis the same tone. try useing derma bleand makeup and put a little lostion on. it is a expensive but i will last a long time with out going bad. this makeup was originally made for burn victims so it will work on your ed bumps.

bipolarbunny
02-08-2005, 01:28 AM
I use Lancome's Photogenique foundation, it has light reflectors in it that shimmer and make you look flawless. the girl at the counter picked the colour for me and while it looks super light at first, it blends into my skin perfectly. I also have powder, which i only use if it's hot so i don't sweat all my makeup off

archangeli
02-13-2005, 08:42 PM
Last year I found this foundation that is sheer, but has "photospheres" in it that reflects light so skin "appears" flawless but isnt caked with foundation. Its by Prescriptives...

I used it for AN04 and OMFG i really saw a difference in my photos... *_*
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=140828
^im on the right...my skin never looks like that in photos--so really, I swear by this stuff *0*

Whee... I tried out the same stuff - it's called Precriptives Traceless Skin Responsive Tint. It cost a pretty penny at Holt Renfrew, but the results speak for themselves!! I applied a thin layer using the MAC 190 Foundation brush and dusted on a bit of powder to set, although it wasn't really necessary.

I won't use this everyday since I'm the biggest fan of liquid foundation, but for conventions this stuff is awesome. It feel likes I'm not wearing anything on my face. Here's a pic of my makeup in my Yűko costume:

Gii
02-16-2005, 12:14 AM
Someone probably already mentioned this, but my vote goes to MAC Studio Fix. With a touch of concealer, the stuff will cover anything. I apply it with a large powder brush, swirling it across my skin for an even finish. On me, it stays matte for a good few hours. Some shine usually shows through on my t-zone, but I think a little bit of shine is a good thing—pretty and natural looking.

heki-chan
02-17-2005, 08:09 PM
Whee... I tried out the same stuff - it's called Precriptives Traceless Skin Responsive Tint. It cost a pretty penny at Holt Renfrew, but the results speak for themselves!! I applied a thin layer using the MAC 190 Foundation brush and dusted on a bit of powder to set, although it wasn't really necessary.

I won't use this everyday since I'm the biggest fan of liquid foundation, but for conventions this stuff is awesome. It feel likes I'm not wearing anything on my face. Here's a pic of my makeup in my Yűko costume:

^___^ glad it worked for you too!
Prescriptives is awesome ^_^

Squall1882
02-17-2005, 08:23 PM

Wow that's what you used?? It looked great!! I'll pass this info on!! Genki de!!

archangeli
02-18-2005, 10:08 PM
Wow that's what you used?? It looked great!! I'll pass this info on!! Genki de!!

Feel free to ask me what's on my face anytime. I LOVE talking about makeup ;)

Someone probably already mentioned this, but my vote goes to MAC Studio Fix. With a touch of concealer, the stuff will cover anything. I apply it with a large powder brush, swirling it across my skin for an even finish. On me, it stays matte for a good few hours. Some shine usually shows through on my t-zone, but I think a little bit of shine is a good thing—pretty and natural looking.

I have used this before, but I found that it would cake up on my skin if I reapplied it or put MAC's Blot powder on top (which I HAD to every 4 hours or so to mop up shine). I prefer Bare Escentuals mineral foundation over the Studio Fix. I can go a good 8 hours before any hint of shine comes through.

--> But that's my day-to-day routine. For photos I think the Studio Fix is good because it's not too reflective, well pigmented and doesn't have a Titanium Dioxide sunscreen in it (which can make you look washed out and pale).

livvylove
02-21-2005, 03:58 PM
For makeup there is this whole system that you can buy that comes with a DVD on how to apply the makeup correctly(it cost a pretty penny though)

http://www.alexisvogel.com/

she is a makeup artist for pamela anderson and paula abdule.

ShannonX
02-21-2005, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't worry about a few under-the-skin zits, but if its that important to you should should get skin-colored covering solution to cover them. Afterwards, you should definatley add some powder or it maight look shiny (if that's not what you're looking for).

archangeli
02-21-2005, 09:29 PM
For makeup there is this whole system that you can buy that comes with a DVD on how to apply the makeup correctly(it cost a pretty penny though)

http://www.alexisvogel.com/

she is a makeup artist for pamela anderson and paula abdule.

nothing that you can't learn from picking up one of Kevyn Aucoin's books...

or if you are REALLY bored, sit and watch the shopping channel when Smashbox comes in to air.

livvylove
02-24-2005, 07:44 PM
nothing that you can't learn from picking up one of Kevyn Aucoin's books...

or if you are REALLY bored, sit and watch the shopping channel when Smashbox comes in to air.

yea but if they don't own any makeup than I think buying that kit would make it easier because it's really not that bad a price for the amount of makeup your getting plus the extras.

angellover02171
02-25-2005, 09:55 PM
i bought the alexis vogel thing it is really simple and the viedos aren't that much money but the viedos rea an ok price. you should check ebay for them. what evey you do don't buy her make up. the cheap stuff works just as well her stuff. the only thing that alexis vogul make that everyone should have is the cake eyeliner, but you can substitute it for black eyeshadow sometime i find that the black eyeshadow made in to a powder and mixed with water work better than a pencil or liquid liner. the black is the blackes and it doen't smuge unless you really rub your eyes.

Sakura Hiwatari
02-27-2005, 05:58 AM
sooo~ I read not everything said in this thread about make-up... sry

but...
I have a question (maybe it was already asked sth like this... ._.°) :

on a convention I'm gettin all excited if s.o. wants to take a pic of me... and my nose(!) turns all red... >///<
that's a big problem to me - because in the end my nose looks really HUGE on the pics ;^;

what should I do about it???? *frustrated*

thanx in advance ^-^

livvylove
02-27-2005, 06:40 PM
http://members.tripod.com/trepanrr/id138.htm

that site has tutorials on how to use makeup to make your nose look thinner

Look under Nose Contouring and Thin a wide nose

I remember someone doing that and at first they looked like some character on the lion king but after a ton of blending it looked good.

archangeli
03-01-2005, 04:05 PM
http://members.tripod.com/trepanrr/id138.htm

that site has tutorials on how to use makeup to make your nose look thinner

Look under Nose Contouring and Thin a wide nose

I remember someone doing that and at first they looked like some character on the lion king but after a ton of blending it looked good.

LOL :thumbsup:
The key to all contouring is to BLEND, BLEND, BLEND! ;)
Otherwise you look like you have colored stripes on your face....

angellover02171
03-08-2005, 04:19 PM
you can make your nose look thinner with lighter makeup on the sides of your nose, you could also mke your nose longer and smaller by taking ligther makeup and putting a line down the middle of your nose. blend ok. you don't want noticeable line. the redness there are some green makeup. however don't know exactly how it works.

Sakura Hiwatari
03-08-2005, 05:28 PM
well ... haha...
I just wanted to know how to 'cover my red nose' (especially because I'm pretty pale... so I can't use really good covering 'darker' make-up) not 'make my nose smaller' ... :thumbsup:

but nevertheless the tips are "good" X3

Pink Bunnie
03-09-2005, 02:10 AM
Sakura Hiwatari: Maybe you can try using a red canceling (green based) coverup over you nose and then applying foundation over it? If it really bugs you that badly try wearing stage make up. I had the flu at Katsucon and people couldn't tell when the color drained from my face or I flushed.

kyojin_alex
03-09-2005, 03:05 AM
one thing people arent really mentioning is that the way you lok in the pic depends a lot on the speed of film, where you are at and the quality of the camera. If there is too much light a pic of someones face will almost always look bad. If the film is too sensitive it will take in too much light and overexpose. theres a lot more than just makeup.

Pink Bunnie
03-09-2005, 05:00 AM
one thing people arent really mentioning is that the way you lok in the pic depends a lot on the speed of film, where you are at and the quality of the camera. If there is too much light a pic of someones face will almost always look bad. If the film is too sensitive it will take in too much light and overexpose. theres a lot more than just makeup.

This is very very true but its very hard to teach somebody with no photo experience about film and lighting. Especially when they're the ones posing and have a harder time directing the shoot. They can't see first hand how the light looks on their face or how the angle is affecting them. You can give them basic pointers but its something that takes a lot of experience rather than applying the appropriate make up that generally looks good. My bf is a photo mfa and we use whatever odd films he has laying around. My skin consitantly looks good due to make up even if the exposure is wrong, lighting is bad, or the film is grainy.

Olivia
03-09-2005, 09:10 AM
Well if you REALLY want your skin to be flawless in photos... get Photoshop!

But if that's not an option, eye drops remove the redness in blemishes. I have some theatre make-up that works WONDERS, it's Ben Nye Make Up, Color Cake Foundation. It's pretty thick but it really covers everything up and lasts a really long time and has a matte finish. My sister suffers from pretty bad zits so she gets this face stuff (I'm not sure if it's make-up or not) for burn victims whenever she has an outbreak. And lots of powder! :thumbsup:

scandia
03-09-2005, 09:25 AM
Yesterday we had a speaker talking about Media and Values. He showed several pictures of how models looked like before and after airbrushing. A really bony model whose rib and pelvic bones were poking out was airbrushed to look like she had a smooth figure. The pores in her face were all evened out. Another one showed a girl before having uneven skin tone, yet afterwards looked so smooth it was almost fake.

Just try your best with regular make-up. It does even out my skin significantly. Photoshopping may and will probably make you look fake.

livvylove
03-12-2005, 11:28 AM
If you do a good job photoshopping then it won't look fake. But that involves doing layers and blending.

archangeli
03-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Of course supermodels are photoshopped - but the point is that when you are at a convention and you get tons of photos taken of you, not everyone is going to sit down and photoshop your imperfections away before uploading them ;)

So if you can cover up pimples, redness, etc. to create a "photo-friendly" face - then why not? Cosplay isn't about promoting negative self image, but rather having fun in costume and looking as best as you can while doing it :) And if you can do something like applying a bit of concealer to make sure that you turn out looking good in 80% of your photos, then why not?

chibirice
03-19-2005, 01:58 AM
This may be a bad question but does anyone know how Skinlights diffusing tint foundation compares to the Prescriptives foundation besides in price. After all they both have light reflecting minerals and whatnot. Or do i just have it all wrong ^_^;

angellover02171
03-20-2005, 02:19 PM
Prescriptives uses light refracting minerals. it is pretty good stuff you might want to just try at a department store and to see it there is a differnce

angellover02171
03-20-2005, 02:21 PM
Of course supermodels are photoshopped - but the point is that when you are at a convention and you get tons of photos taken of you, not everyone is going to sit down and photoshop your imperfections away before uploading them ;)

So if you can cover up pimples, redness, etc. to create a "photo-friendly" face - then why not? Cosplay isn't about promoting negative self image, but rather having fun in costume and looking as best as you can while doing it :) And if you can do something like applying a bit of concealer to make sure that you turn out looking good in 80% of your photos, then why not?
make up can only do so much. a good skin care rement is more important. if you speand more on good products, you woun't need to use so much make up.

YunalescaSummon
03-27-2005, 08:46 AM
Ben Nye=best friend in cosplay, even though half the time my makeup kit ends up being the one thing I leave at home...-_-;;The stuff is kinda expensive, but if you're like me and hate makeup a LOT, it stays on and looks good for a while, although you can work with regular (read: mainstream makeup brands, Lancome, Clinique, etc) Any major makeuping you do for photos, make sure you apply powder on top to seal it all in, and dust away any extra.
*swears by CoverGirl foundation stick* It's around $7, but definitely worth it, and lasts a long time. Blends really well, and has tons of colors.
My advice is to even out your skintone with concealer and powder (make sure to apply right down to the neckline of your costume, or else you're two toned and that's BAD), a TINY touch of color on your cheekbones, and use mascara on your upper lashes and a gloss on top of whatever lipstick you apply. For just eliminating under eye circles, a quick swipe with something like Cover Girl's foundation sticks gets rid of them and makes you look instantly more alive. Above all, BLEND.
A light diffusing powder is always a good investment, and a lot of makeup lines have a skin-evening compact which looks like it has ninety colors in it but really works well for evening out your skintone. Use a sponge to apply makeup, NOT YOUR FINGERS, because it puts on EXACTLY what you need, and soaks up any excess. But I agree with what everyone else has said thus far: wash your face before doing anything. Someone mentioned blotting instead of scrubbing. Reason for this is that scrubbing is harsh on the top layer of skin and WILL make your face redder.
Tips in list form:
Don't apply makeup in a location with bad lighting (too dark or too bright).
Powder, powder, powder!
Highlight eyes with mascara or a liquid liner.
Don't EVER go to bed with makeup on. EVER.
Touch up every few hours during the day. A con will take a harsh toll on your skin, what with walking around in heavy costumes.

If you're new to the makeup scene, ask around at major department store makeup counters, explain that you're going to be having lots of photos taken, and ask if they can help you find a shade of foundation and concealer that blends well with your skintone.

^^;; Apologies for the rant, but hopefully it helps someone.

Katse
03-27-2005, 08:28 PM
Airbrush makeup. It may seem intimidating at first, but it's an absolute godsend. Because it's applied with an airbrush, you always get a perfect finish. Easy to blend, lasts forever and looks damn fine. May seem a bit pricey to invest in initially, but I'd never go back to using regular makeup. My roomie is an airbrush artist, so if anyone wants more info, just let me know. He's got all the equipment--I often act as the guinea pig so he teaches me all about the new products and techniques. :)

Katse

Esmeraude_Chiba
03-28-2005, 11:42 AM
would pretty much any store know what theyre talking about makeup/shade wise? Im somewhat of hit-and-miss with that, and have encountered some sales people at smaller stores (sallys,etc) who didnt have a clue what they were doing. Lol

Katse
03-28-2005, 12:20 PM
In all honesty, the sales reps in stores are there for one reason--to sell the specific line of makeup they've been assigned to. The more the sell, the more money they make (working on commission just ruins any integrity they may have had when they went to cosmetology school!). People who work in drug stores and lower end department stores normally won't know a damn thing about the products they sell other than what the regional sales reps have told them either in person or via literature. If you are truly interested in how good a product is, check out this site (http://www.cosmeticscop.com). This is the website I was directed to when I began my research into cosmetics for my business. The woman is a professional cosmetologist who reviews virtually every cosmetic product out there. Her books, Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me are amazing, and if you ever have the cash, invest in one (they come out each year). You don't need a current one to learn all you ever need to know about how to choose the right makeup for you. And what isn't mentioned in the books is on the site. Trust me, you'll never believe what you read about some of the products!

Katse

archangeli
03-31-2005, 03:45 AM
^ Paula's information is good. She started out as a cosmetician and was horrified by the claims that the industry made. I own a couple of her books - very informative.

make up can only do so much. a good skin care rement is more important. if you speand more on good products, you woun't need to use so much make up.

Spending money on skincare products doesn't always mean a better result. i know of several perfectly good drugstore cleansers, moisturizers and sunscreens that can rival Shisheido, Estee Lauder, Lancome, and all the other pshi-pshi brands.

However I do agree. A proper skincare regime tailored to your skin type is very important. And sleeping with makeup on is a definite no-no!

FiberOptic
04-16-2005, 10:37 PM
ok i have a couple questions. First:
what should i use on my eyes since in like a half hour after applying eyeliner it just goes away. and i dont know where it goes to either! my lids just get all "grease" like.
second: what should i do since in every picture i take with a flash i turn white. you cant even see my lips anymore.... oh and thats another thing. when i take a picture with a flash it looks like im not wearing any makeup. not even eyeliner and i look all sickly...what should i do??

ani_cat_candy
05-11-2005, 08:38 PM
forgive me if I'm reviving an old thread *gets down on hands & knees* please don't hurt me!

um... yea... anyways, I have the same problem with the eyeliner 'disapearing' & I can never find any makeup light enough for me (they all make me look orange)
anyone know of any brands that make VERY light foundation? Right now I'm using a Neutragena foundation & conceler, but it's still leaving me a bit on the orange side. I've been to the department stores - to their make-up counters & couldn't find ANY light enough for oily skin & ended up getting the lightest they had (in the entire store) for mixed-skin-type (forgot what they called it - this was a few years ago) & it's the closest I've come to getting not-orange ...
so yea, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

a side note: I forgot who posted about this (I'm too lazy to check) I saw a epasode of Americas' Next Top Model where they had to dress as another ethnicy (sp?) (they made a girl with the darkest skin-tone you can imagin & made her white!) all they did was airbrush the girls & it looked SO real. maybe you can go to their website & find what they used :untrust: probably very expensive stuff though... but it IS possible! :bigtu:

angellover02171
05-13-2005, 04:37 PM
have you tred mac eye make up?

forgive me if I'm reviving an old thread *gets down on hands & knees* please don't hurt me!

um... yea... anyways, I have the same problem with the eyeliner 'disapearing' & I can never find any makeup light enough for me (they all make me look orange)
anyone know of any brands that make VERY light foundation? Right now I'm using a Neutragena foundation & conceler, but it's still leaving me a bit on the orange side. I've been to the department stores - to their make-up counters & couldn't find ANY light enough for oily skin & ended up getting the lightest they had (in the entire store) for mixed-skin-type (forgot what they called it - this was a few years ago) & it's the closest I've come to getting not-orange ...
so yea, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

a side note: I forgot who posted about this (I'm too lazy to check) I saw a epasode of Americas' Next Top Model where they had to dress as another ethnicy (sp?) (they made a girl with the darkest skin-tone you can imagin & made her white!) all they did was airbrush the girls & it looked SO real. maybe you can go to their website & find what they used :untrust: probably very expensive stuff though... but it IS possible! :bigtu: