PDA

View Full Version : A-Kon 15 Cosplay

TogabitoIon
06-07-2004, 06:28 PM
I don't know how many of you guys are actually on the A-Kon board, but I do want to relay some information if you aren't. I think that Randy (the guy who coordinated A-Kon's cosplay) is not happy with the responses he's getting. If you will, he did write a response about it. Please take the time to read his post.

I'm not wanting to upset anyone, but I do want to state that I was really upset at the content in a number of the skits at A-Kon, which IS a family con. Take in mind, the guy telling jokes about dead babies was right after Nikki Fraga (Sailor Luna) left the stage. That was very tact-less, don't you think? I think that Randy really has a point in what he says in his post, to be quite honest.

I'm also really upset at hearing a stray comment during cosplay line up. When complaining about us being rushed, I remember hearing the comment 'This is why you don't invite Japanese guests.'

Isn't that kind of rude? I mean, A-Kon got those guests for you. Not so you can complain about them. I'd figure that Japanese guests would be crutial guests for a convention devoted to Japanese animation. Don't you think? Nami Tamaki was the performer of two themes for Gundam Seed. I was quite pleased with actually getting to hear her perform live, and hearing one of the songs performed during the judging. That was really cool. :3 Not many people have that chance, afterall.

I just am figuring that people ought to know what goes on behind these things before they start complaining.

Greetings,

For those who don't know me (as I tend to post on maybe 1 thread every year) I'm Randy Navarro the director/staff head for the Saturday Night Cosplay and the Weekend Hall Cosplay events, and have set up a thread for cosplayer complaints (or as I like to call it the FVCC)

1) Raunchy Music, Gay Jokes, and Dead Babies. (General Raunchyness)

Well, apparently I haven't made it ENTIRELY CLEAR that the content of anything that goes on stage is supposed to be PG as we have an all ages audience. We've now come up with a signal system to kill the audio and lighting for any presentation I feel goes too far over the line. You can lie to me in my face about how age-appropriate your presentation is, you can lie to me on the entry form about how age-appropriate your presentation will be, but if it crosses the stage not only will you be publicly embarassed, and banned from entering next year, but since your entry probably meant that someone later down the line couldn't make the entry cap.. well.. 'nuff said

Also, all music will be reviewed beforehand, any inappropriate submissions will result in the eviction from the cosplay event.

2) "Akon-15 was the most disorganized cosplay event evar!!"

Simply put? Watch decided to become 45 minutes slow at some point saturday afternoon and the rest of the staff had to improvise. (Raidios were just about useless in that hotel, they'll be upgraded). When I arrived we kicked into overdrive to get things going. This is why my staff kicks so much ass. But for those who want something other than an excuse?

We started on time.

I'll repeat that:

We started on time.

One more time for those in the nosebleed seats:

We started on time.

3) "We felt like we were being pushed onto and off of stage!!"

Yes. Absolutely. You were! If I was a stricter person Cosplay signups would have been filled on saturday at exactly 10:05 AM. Yes, 5 minutes after cosplay signups opened it would have been filled. Not only would it have been filled, but I would have had to turn away about a 1/3 of the first batch of people I let into the room and everyone else after that.

I made big exception to the rule because I knew we could get the math to work and let more people get on stage. We had 154 cosplayers.. 154!!! But since half of them were Walkon entries (we had 60 walkons this year with a headcount total being about 72-75) we could do it by putting the skits first then running the walkons. And I warned several cosplayers face-to-face that if they signed up it would only be a walkon and it would be crowded and rushed. Every single one of those people nodded and said "Okay!"

Because of contractual arrangements with the Japanese performers et al. Cosplay had to start at a specific time and end at a specific time. I trusted the math, the cosplayers and my staff. Together we all did it. Thank you.

Randy Navarro,
Cosplay Staff Head.

Space Invader
06-07-2004, 07:06 PM
I think the IronCat cheerleader skit was the absolute worst. Me an my friends just sat there with our mouths hung open when we first heard the music (they already had a reputation for being raunchy, they had been in the cosplay shows for a few years prior). I really wish they would have had the music cut off and the lights shut out on them. That would have made my day.

The dead baby jokes were NOT funny. At all. They were sick, and I'm glad that the guy got boo'ed. He richly deserved it. The hentai Lupin skit was really raunchy too.

I hope they really come down hard on those people next year and the years after. There was way too much sex-related content for it to be considered a family event, and I personally was horrified that I was even in the same room (much less being associated with) with such people.

And to everyone who helped contribute to the rant (and basically the downfall) of the cosplay this year, I hope you're proud of yourselves for being the con scum that gives convention attendees and cosplayers a bad name. Way to go, losers. *claps sarcastically*

KrisnWo316
06-07-2004, 08:56 PM
I agree. I mean.....it takes a lot to offend me... The first time I was truely offended and disturbed was when I watched that "Nick Berg getting his head cut off" video. Not even Hentai really bothers me.....but that's neither here nor there.

At Anime Reactor, the same thing happened.....X-Rated skits, with small children there. One guy got kicked in the nuts by 2 chicks in hardly anything, and they won the masq. Crazyness.

On the whole tho, most skits weren't that good.

I think that maybe next year, they should have Friday be when you sign up, and Saturday to fill the last spots. Then earlier in the day, like noonish, all skits have to be performed, in costume and everything. And if they cross the line, or suck, or whatever, get the boot. It saves time that way. ACEN did that this year, and the skits were some of the best I've ever seen.

But while I'm here.....

I was told A-Kon was the 3rd best con in the US. AX, ACEN, then A-Kon. And I have to admit.......I wasn't really that impressed..... I mean, don't get me wrong, I loved A-Kon. I had a great time, and I'm glad I came down for it.... But between the arcade fiasco, the elevators/stairs thing, and there seemed like there wasn't that much to do.... Maybe it was just me.... At ACEN, I had all these panels and all this other stuff that I wanted to go to....but A-Kon just didn't have much of that.... Plus, it was big, but seemed small at the same time....if that makes any sense....

I dunno.....maybe it was just me. ^_^;;;

Karrit
06-07-2004, 09:59 PM
I preformed the first Lupin skit. Not the baby one (I hated that one with a passion), but the hentai one. I'd like to give to all of those who I offeded a formal and sincere apology. I really had no idea the skits were PG. I had thought they were PG-13.

All I wanted were some chuckles at someone getting the better of Lupin, not to hurt anyone in the process. But seeing as how A-kon os family-oriented, I've vowed to be more cautious about my skits in the future.

I think the IronCat cheerleader skit was the absolute worst. Me an my friends just sat there with our mouths hung open when we first heard the music (they already had a reputation for being raunchy, they had been in the cosplay shows for a few years prior). I really wish they would have had the music cut off and the lights shut out on them. That would have made my day.

The dead baby jokes were NOT funny. At all. They were sick, and I'm glad that the guy got boo'ed. He richly deserved it. The hentai Lupin skit was really raunchy too.

I hope they really come down hard on those people next year and the years after. There was way too much sex-related content for it to be considered a family event, and I personally was horrified that I was even in the same room (much less being associated with) with such people.

And to everyone who helped contribute to the rant (and basically the downfall) of the cosplay this year, I hope you're proud of yourselves for being the con scum that gives convention attendees and cosplayers a bad name. Way to go, losers. *claps sarcastically*

Cherry
06-07-2004, 10:27 PM
I'm also really upset at hearing a stray comment during cosplay line up. When complaining about us being rushed, I remember hearing the comment 'This is why you don't invite Japanese guests.'

Isn't that kind of rude? I mean, A-Kon got those guests for you. Not so you can complain about them. I'd figure that Japanese guests would be crutial guests for a convention devoted to Japanese animation. Don't you think? Nami Tamaki was the performer of two themes for Gundam Seed. I was quite pleased with actually getting to hear her perform live, and hearing one of the songs performed during the judging. That was really cool. :3 Not many people have that chance, afterall.

I really hate to be an ass here, but this is completely not rude to say.

They told me, that if the cosplay ran over, that they would simply cut the cosplayer's skits, and say that they could not go on stage for sake of the japanese guests.

To treat guests like -gold- and treat the fans, who this convention is for, who are PAYING to be here is complete, and utter BS. I'm sorry if others disagree, but the way that cosplay was ran and how we were treated was awful, and I am personally asshamed that I was having to facilitate it. The man who would have had to do the plug pulling had the cosplay conflicted with the concert was infuriated as well, but we were under contract. Yes, the japanese guests ARE very important, but not EVER are they important enough to ruin an event that many view as the ONLY event worth coming to. ( I personally love all of the singers, but I think that proper preperation should have been taken.)

The gay jokes, panties, sex jokes, dead babie jokes, and ESPECIALLY the Iron Cat cheerleaders EMBRASSED me. I could not believe it. If I were a parent, and seeing my child on stage with these skits, or sitting beside my child, a first year, watching these things. . . I would look at my child, and re-think what I was letting them get into.

The cheerleaders embrassed me even more, because I am good friends with Steve Bennet. I couldn't believe how badly they disgraced his name, or how badly Steve must have felt. Playing "Lords of Acid - Let me See Your Pussy" loud over the speakers.. I had to actually physically plug my ears and just stare the other way. My Cosplay Partner, Gren, dressed as Riku, was appauled, and... we just could not believe it. I immediatly went to the convention head, and he decided to disqualify them, to which I was MOST thanfkul.

I am running the cosplay at Oni-Con, and I am now re-thinking skits. It has come to this. I am going to screen skits. And if someone derives on stage? There is going to be the music getting cut.

If they are going to embrass all of the attendees at the convention, they are going to get embarassed themselves. Apparently the head of a-kon was trying to cut their music, but could not get back to the sound booth quick enough.

I am just amazed...

Have us, the cosplayers, really degraded so much, that we cannot find anything but sex, and gay jokes funny? A-Kon's cosplay was . . . the most horrible event I have attended yet, concerning the skits.

There were a few clean ones, and for that, I am quite thankful, and I am also thankful to see so many magnificently done costumes, though most assumed the role of a walk-on. The bar was definatly high on craftsmenship this year, and a BIG congradulations to all of you on that.

If anyone was wondering, I was the Sora, that had the skit with the Riku. When she and I hugged on stage, there was a few screams from girls thinking it was yaoi. Well, let me say, while I am a supporter of Shonen-Ai, that our skit had NOTHING to do with any sort of sexual relationship with the characters. They were friends, and were played TO THE TEE how they were in the game. I just feel the need to clear this up. Our skit was serious, and meant to be dramatic. I am sorry if anyone had the impression that we were putting in gay-content to try and get the vote of fan girls, but we were in fact not. I apologize to EVERYONE on behalf of the cosplayers that participated, if we offended anyone, but....I just hope everyone has learned something from this.

JunJun
06-07-2004, 10:42 PM
I was outside working with my dad (the photographer), getting things ready for the cosplayers to come out. I had the pleasure of watching the skits on the big screen out in the large room. They were awful. Embarassing. NOTHING i'd want a child to see.
I'll be one of Cherry's assistants for Oni-con, and completely support the idea of screening skits, especially with the debauchery that took place on stage this year at A-kon. Those wretched cheerleaders (bile rose at the crotch shots), the baby jokes Lupin... come on! I"m so glad to hear that Randy disqualified the cheerleaders. I feel really sorry for Steve, too.

The only part of the cosplay contest that won back my respect was the walk ons. Showing us actual hard work and creativity!

I think the cleanliness bar should be, "would you show this to little Sailor Luna Fragga?"

Gren
06-07-2004, 10:59 PM
I agree that guests should not take precedence over fans. If you are going to have guests that run so strict a sceudule that if they do not start at a specified time, all hell breaks loose, then you should move back cosplay to allow enough time that there isn't a danger of having to cut off skits. Or so that cosplayers do not have to wait though an entire concert and then a ballet dance group, waiting to find out what the awards are. I got asked by a ton of people what the awards are, because either they didn't realize they would be announced all the way after a concert and ballet peice, or because they were simply unwilling to wait for such an extreme amount of time. We already have a lot of walk outs when it's just the ballet group between the masquerade and the awards. Stuffing a concert in there as well is just a buzzkill for the participants. Especially if you wait around in a hot, stuffy, uncomfortable costume for well over an hour, just to find that you've received nada.

And I agree that cosplay skits do need to be reviewed, as obviously maturity has been lost at people being able to self screen. There is some talk of A-kon completely cutting out skits as many of it's partners have, which I think would just be tragic. Yes, there are many skits that just bore the crap out of me, have inside jokes, cliche themes, illegible signs, etc, but there are also skits which I really enjoy and will talk about to my friends for years to come. They can really give a chance to show off the well made costumes (Who hasn't seen at least one walk on that they wished they could get a longer look at?) and for cosplayers to really entertain the crowd. I love skits enough to think that suffering through the ones slapped together at the last second as a method of getting all your friends on the stage is worth it, to see the few that are just a delight to watch.

FoxPhyre
06-07-2004, 11:25 PM
If anyone was wondering, I was the Sora, that had the skit with the Riku. When she and I hugged on stage, there was a few screams from girls thinking it was yaoi. Well, let me say, while I am a supporter of Shonen-Ai, that our skit had NOTHING to do with any sort of sexual relationship with the characters. They were friends, and were played TO THE TEE how they were in the game. I just feel the need to clear this up. Our skit was serious, and meant to be dramatic. I am sorry if anyone had the impression that we were putting in gay-content to try and get the vote of fan girls, but we were in fact not. I apologize to EVERYONE on behalf of the cosplayers that participated, if we offended anyone, but....I just hope everyone has learned something from this.

first id like to say that i loved you two, both of your costumes were great, and i loved your skit. yaoi never crossed my mind. in fact i thought it was the most dramatic and emotionally charged skit there was. in short the BEST skit. im glad you guys won something, because i sure appreciated the hell out of it.

second, in general i agree with everyone at how insanely nasty the cosplay skits were... well some of them at least. what made me the most upset was that all this garbage happened on my first con. i have been wanting to go for so long and finally get the chance, and look how crappy the cosplay went. but i think that those of us who tried hard, did clean stuff and had fun doing it made up for the jerks who could have completely ruined it all just for the sake of showing off. i hope they are happy. so having said that. i wanna thank all of you guys who went and participated in the cosplay who took time to do it right and clean. even if you didnt win anything, feel good knowing that you helped salvage the cosplay as best you could. regardless of the iron cats (which i winced at the choice of music, knowing there were children around) and regardless of the baby jokes (which followed that sweetheart little girl, nonetheless) i had fun doing that cosplay. it was tense at first, but once it started flowing and everyone had their papers it was ok. at least sorta..

Cherry
06-07-2004, 11:48 PM
first id like to say that i loved you two, both of your costumes were great, and i loved your skit. yaoi never crossed my mind. in fact i thought it was the most dramatic and emotionally charged skit there was. in short the BEST skit. im glad you guys won something, because i sure appreciated the hell out of it.

<3 Me and Gren really appreciate your support. Thank you so much.

Tenya Muyo
06-08-2004, 12:00 AM
Yeah, the contest wasn't that good this year. I'd like to apologize if the whole panty thing in our skit (the Inu yasha one) offended anyone. It never crossed my mind that night that it was something maybe we should have cut out. Sorry again.

I didn't like the feel the feeling of being rushed through either. I know most hate it when cosplay runs over, but that's not nice to rush people through something they worked hard on (either the costume or the writing of a skit). A screening of skits sounds like a good idea. Weeding out the potentialy bad stuff would definetly improve things. I fully support the idea!

Hopefully next year A-kon will realize that they need to cordinate things a little differently if they intend to have some many big events like that. Well, here's hoping....

FoxPhyre
06-08-2004, 12:03 AM
I edited my post up there because i realized i said first and there was no second, hehe.

aside from that, im glad my opinion counts to someone who is more entwined in cosplay. i was awkwardly thrust into the world of cosplay at a-kon... it was not only my first con ever, but my first time cosplaying (not counting halloween of course lol)
and even more strange than that, i just happened to be one of the mortal kombat characters that got best in show. to be honest, we werent even going to enter the cosplay contest. we were just going to wear our costumes out of the shear irony that mortal kombat is neither anime, nor even a japanese game. but somehow we just ended up registering. we were standing there hoping we might have won and when you guys got called up i was sure there was no chance. (im still kinda in shock)
but i do love the costumes and i hope to see you at next years con!

Marisa
06-08-2004, 12:29 AM
I had to leave early and didn't catch the cosplay. I'm infering a lot of stuff from this thread, but I'm curious to know what exactly happened here that offeneded everyone so much?

Ryouko
06-08-2004, 12:45 AM
That's odd, considering Nami Tamaki was right after the cosplay. Psycho le Cemu didn't perform until hours after cosplay had ended.

It would be a shame to not have Psycho le Cemu back again. They were the highlight of many con-goer's weekend, including my own.

FoxPhyre
06-08-2004, 01:42 AM
AHH, Saeto i did not get a chance to thank you personally at the con for the ultimate compliment of our costumes, so ill do it now. thank you, and your fellow judges as well. i might have chosen differently, were i a judge, because i didnt think ours were as good as some others, but im sure there are things i do not see and im so new to cosplay. but thank you anyway.

on a side note, i kinda agree that the time crunch was unfortunate but im glad that there was even a guest there. and i did enjoy their concert. i know how hectic it was for the staffers because you could see it on their faces and hear it in their voices. a few of them inadvertently took their frustration out on my fellow kon-goers. but in general im still convinced that if you even had a little fun being there, regardless of all the stuff that went awry, it is worth it to have been there and thats all that matters. this was, like i said before, my first kon. but that notwithstanding i am now a lifetime kon-goer. i think it would be nice to actually meet people that go every year and meet up at the next kon. it would have been more fun to know more people than the group i came with. i hope that in general everyone that went had fun since thats what its about. its about meeting people and sharing your love of anime and the like and having lotsa fun in the hentai room... i mean... *sweatdrop* uhhh.... having fun in the vendor room.. yeah thats right... the vendor room.. :)

Cherry
06-08-2004, 01:49 AM
Alot of the under-pants jokes were a bit tasteless, but some were executed VERY well, I think the only time I really laughed the whole time was during the Utena skit (and honestly, well executed stuff like that isnt the problem.) and Bill Gates. Honestly, when panty shots and underwear humor are the main focus of alot of animes its naturaly going to be the subject of skit humor at cons with varying degrees of sucess.

I agree reguarding the Utena skit. They were very well done, and kept it clean, while still being slightly dirty.

This group has preformed at the small cosplay events that I hold here in Houston, and are my friends, as well. Any younger child, this skit may have gone over their heads a little, so it was okay. There was no foul language, or ronchy gestures. :)

The main two were the cheerleaders and the dead baby one.

It's not that the panty thing is bad, but.. It just seemed weird that the first set of skits were ALL about some panty pun.

FoxPhyre
06-08-2004, 01:51 AM
That's odd, considering Nami Tamaki was right after the cosplay. Psycho le Cemu didn't perform until hours after cosplay had ended.

It would be a shame to not have Psycho le Cemu back again. They were the highlight of many con-goer's weekend, including my own.

im not a staffer so i may be wrong, but my thought would be that PLC contracted a certain time alotment to set up. and judging from my father's band. i would guess it to be a generous alotment they made for themselves so they wouldnt have to rush. it is somewhat inconsiderate, and somewhat understandable. the rush didnt really bother me. but then again hed the cosplay been cut, i wouldnt have walked on stage, we were number 67..

just a thought..

Sephi-chan
06-08-2004, 08:25 AM
Actually, compared to previous Cons...the Staff on this one earned the HIGHEST of Kudos. You have to be aware, though...that the organization of time...was NOT their department. When it came to scheduling...I think the entire Con was completely floating in confusion on that. Lets hope for better next year.

I WAS rather *bleeped* about AFTER the performances and just before the stage performance. For the love of god...give security tazers and nail bats, because the pushy fans for the music performance certainly earned my BAD side.

I like to think I'm easy going, but I do have my "Sephiroth" moments when pushed. Little do those single minded and rude little pissants know that some of us with the larger costumes had to WAIT for the majority of people to get out to leave so we could have the room to move out...and when getting barreled into at the door (especialy being dizzy, hot, hungry, thirsty, and having the mother of all headaches)...well, let's just say that when they ignored Security trying to get them to move....i didn't MIND baring claws (literally) and shoving without remorse.

I know it made me seem like a horrible person, but even the nicest people can snap when it comes to Obnoxiously Rude people.

As for underwear....I thought it was relatively fine in the Inu Yasha and especially the Utena skit. I laughed because it reminded me of Anime antics. God forbid Dragonball hadn't done every undergarment joke in creation. But...I decided to lie down after the Iron Kats skit. (They REALLY don't deserve the same spelling as Studio Ironcat.) And I must say, the dead baby jokes WERE pretty poor taste. We got away with FFVII Yo Momma jokes last year because they were clean and a bit witty. This really wasn't following a good suit.

Something else....PLEASE....next time for Cosplay Signup....some signs to guide people would be nice...or better yet, actually let Information know where you are. I got misdirected sooo many times, and most people hadn't a clue where to go. That was the main reason so many people were late in getting to the signups.

Oh, and something else! I wanted to thank the Judges again...Saeto especially, but certainly to all of you angels. Not just for liking my costume enough to give me an award (I HONESTLY hadn't thought to see that coming...). Not just for honoring us to be there to judge our hard work. But also...keeping the awardings smooth, quick...on topic...and warm. There were so MANY cosplayers last year who were tired, in pain, hot, and hungry and thirsty because of the hours of disorganization...and then had to listen to a particular judge take sidequest convcersations and turned something solemn and anticipated into a cruel waiting game in a hot crowded place. Needless to say..the mood of the cosplayers this year at awards was MUCH brighter in general (despite certain things) than last year.

Thank you...ALL of you, so very much. And, on a side note, getting that hug on stage REALLY made my day and evening the best, Saeto. Kimahri's fluffy and furry...and hugs makes Ronso happy.

Asmaria
06-08-2004, 08:26 AM
I think Im kinda mixed on this whole thing. I would have loved cosplay to be scheduled earlier, because that would have avoiced the problems with the rush. I think that it could have been handled much better, but I am not about to jump down their throats for it becuase how much do we know exactly about what goes on behind the scenes? Anyways, I don't know that much. ^^; I just offer them suggestions happily, instead of griping. I feel a person is more likely to listen to you that way.

As far as skits being rushed, wasn't there already a 3 minute time limit before any of this? I mean, in past years it was timed anyways. It just felt a lot more enforced this year because it -had- to be. I was amazed with how fast the whole thing went, I have never had such a short wait in line before. I wish that other cosplays that weren't under such stress could be so fast moving.

As for throwing ballet and a dance in between the cosplay and judging? A-kon has -always- done that. Usually it's some dance, and the MC keeping the audiences attention, or some videos being played. The judeges apparently have something to do between that time, and it wasn't -that- long... Nami only sang 4-5 songs. I was caught up in the moment and my sheer excitement, so I may be biased(forgive me) but most songs are around 5-6 minutes, right? It couldn't have been more than half an hour, right? Maybe it was, and I just didn't notice it. But for as fast as the whole cosplay went, I was willing to wait just a bit for awards. I remember A-kons when it's taken much longer, and I just left. I look at the mini-concert as them being considerate to the fans by giving them something attention-keeping in the meantime, to stave off the inevitable wait. I'd much rather see a concert than sit there and listen to jokes or watch some video, but that's just me.

I've already said my opinions on the skits in the A-kon board, but in short, I just agree with most all that's been said. I seriously wanted to leave at the atrouciousness(spelling?) of some(read:deadbabies and ironcats) of them. Because I don't want to see things like that again, I will put my best effort into making a worthwhile skit that doesn't bore or traumatize people, and is over and done quickly next year. I want people to enjoy cosplay, not be scared away. T_T

P.S. I loved your skit, Cherry, I thought it was great! ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

KrisnWo316
06-08-2004, 05:47 PM
I honestly didn't stick around for the announcement of the winners.... Didn't feel like sitting thru a concert because I'm not a fan of J-Pop/Rock/whatever.

But that's the problem with getting "big name" musicians to play... They have egos. They're gonna want their 157 blue M&M's, or they're not getting on stage. Yanno?

It's been said before....it's not the cosplay staff's fault for things....they did the best with what they had, and went above and BEYOND their job. For that, they get the utmost respect.

Personally, I wasn't bothered by that initial Lupin skit, as that's the kind of stuff that happens in the show. (granted, the audio was a little off, but still.... the dialog should of been pieced more together and stuff instead of having the gaps it had......yanno?)

If I go to A-Kon next year, I'll be the "happy go lucky" thing that everyone wants, needs, and loves!

kirineko
06-08-2004, 05:59 PM
I think the Japanese guest comment may be skewed off of something I had said rather loudly after the announcement of the time crunch caused by the immobile concert time. I recall saying "And THIS is why you dont invite J-rockers"

I KNOW alot of cons have begun to pander to the J-rock/pop crowd, and that normaly wouldnt be a problem when the convention also brings awesome anime related guests.

In many cases, 'J-rockers' are DIRECTLY connected with anime.

ALL of the performers at A-kon have had their music used for animes. (even Psycho le Cemu, who wrote and performed the opening and closing themes for the anime 'Korroke' under the name 'Saikoro Korroke') Camino hasn't done so AS Camino, but individually, their members have worked on many projects, since they are all also studio musicians.

Yes, it DOES suck that they have SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS, but considering that A-kon was dealing with THREE major label artists, ALL under different labels....it's a lot different than previous years with Duel Jewel and Camino...there's a lot less flexibility, and a LOT more at stake, not just reputation wise, but also MONETARY.

And IF it WAS a real high level Japanese guest, like, oh, say MIYAZAKI, I'm quite CERTIAN he'd raise a fuss if his panel started late, by half an hour or more, because something else ran over. AND from what I knew, they MOVED the time of the Psycho le Cemu concert ANYWAY because they knew the cosplay wasn't going to be finished on time (they were supposed to go on at 10, and went on at 11:30.)

I can understand your frustration. Trust me, EVERYONE ELSE was frustrated too.

But when it comes down to it, Jpop/Jrock and anime go hand in hand. It's all part of Japanese culture. Very few theme songs are just created by some random conglomeration of faceless musicians, especially these days, when attaching a well known band to your anime can bring you even more interest.

Just like bringing a well known band...or two...(or four x.x) can bring a lot more interest to your convetion. >>

Gren
06-08-2004, 06:53 PM
Just something quick to adress as this has been asked many times. Yes, there has always been a three minute limit, and yes, it has always been enforced.

If every skit had used their 3 minute limit, and every walk-on their 30 second limit, the cosplay would have run very late, and people would have gotten cut off. It is my the cosplayer's being told they needed to trim any excess of their skit, and the fact that this year we had more entries chose walk-on than skit that we were able to finish in time, and with not a ton to spare. Had this cosplay followed the usual trend of being mostly skits, yes, things would have run late, and yes, people would have never made it onto the stage. It is through very fortunate circumstance and effort on the part of the cosplayers (and staff for reminding the cosplayers) to keep things at a rushed pace to ensure that everyone had their chance.

Once again. cosplayers were not rushed because of the 3 minute limit.
They were rushed because they were strongly urged to use as little as possible of their 3 minutes.

Cherry
06-08-2004, 07:14 PM
If each cosplayer had used their designated time, we would have been kicked off of stage.

Also, to reply to the other topic going on here. THE FACT THAT J-ROCK AND ANIME GO HAND AND HAND IS COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT

Cosplay should have been started earlier. That is the bottom line. It should always be assumed at an extreme. If they assumed that skits would ALL take three minutes, then there would not have been any chance if it running over.

Just because they are japanese guests, does not give them right to cut the fans. They aren't paying to be here. They are here for OUR entertainment. Not for us, the cosplayers, who spent months and hundreds of dollars on our costumes to get gipped. The boys were happy to be given here, so it really doesn't matter. They didn't end up cutting the cosplay, and if they did, I am sure that they wouldn't have been happy about it.

It was the record label and contracts that are to blame. And I assume that these said contracts were signed MONTHS ago. And if the cosplayers had to be off stage by 8:30, perhaps someone should have said. "Hey? Perhaps we should announce cosplay an hour early, sot that there is no chance we cut the fans? <3.".

That is the bottom line. This is not a contest of which is more important. It was just the honest mistake of bad planning, and the staff, nor the band is to blame.

TogabitoIon
06-08-2004, 07:43 PM
I don't have much else to say to the rest of the conversations, but I do wish to point out something-

8 of the 14 awards given out were to walk-ons - one of those 8 was a single costume from the skit (well, I don't really consider our's a /full/ skit- it wasn't. We were originally going to be a walk-on, but we changed last minute because we wanted our own music.). Hell, First Place was a walkon as well. Those guys didn't need a skit to say that they were awesome. They /were/.

I don't mean to insult anyone by saying this, but it's not like the skit is absolutely necessary. Let your costume do the talking. That's all you really need, in my opinion.

If all 72 groups did walkons instead of skits and took all 30 seconds, the cosplay would've only been about 30-40 minutes long.

The point is this. Things happened as they did. The cosplay was rushed, so what? We still had fun, right? I goofed off with Doc Fraga and King, then gave Shippo my helmet. These little things were a blast in my opinion and made the lineup very memorable to me. The girl that was with King was really nice and I feel like I made a good number of friends just sitting there.

Psycho le Cemu wanted to be /right/ on time. So what? We managed to do it, right? Those who got the awards got their awards, right? Being that I don't think that skits hold too much of a handle in judging on cosplay, I don't think cutting the skits down or making them any less effected the judging of most people. If they were doing their jobs, then they were judging you on your /costume/. There's only 3 of 14 awards dealing with the skit and stage presense.

FoxPhyre
06-08-2004, 07:57 PM
all in all, i think it best not to really worry about it.. yes, were going to discuss and discuss forever and a day about it.. this happens in ever BB. next year there will still be soreness from it, but that isnt important. whats important is that a lesson has been learned this year, i think. especially by the upper echelon of A-kon. all that i can do as a pee-on cosplayer newbie, is make my costumes, go and enjoy myself no matter what happens, and try and make some of that rub off on everyone at the next convention... i like seeing people happy...
end transmission. . .

Cherry
06-08-2004, 11:36 PM
I'm withdrawing from this thread. The point of it has been completely lost.

EDIT: And by the way. I happen to REALLY enjoy the skit portion of cosplay. Let the costume do the talking, yes, but add something special, and be creative, to come up with a skit. I am not the only one who REALLY enjoys the skit creating process of cosplay.

Tenya Muyo
06-08-2004, 11:45 PM
Now that i've had time to think about it, I totally agree with all that has been said. The staff, under those circumstances was wonderful!! That's a tough thing to do, getting through a cosplay contest in that amount of time. AND we did it! Yes i felt rushed, and i hate that feeling; but as they say, whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. The point is they've learned, we've learned, and next year can only be better! Let's look forward to that and be happy with the fact that we weren't cut off, everyone got to go on, and that more "inappropriate" skits will all but be eliminated for the contest next year.

It's all for fun, right? Let's keep it that way! ^_~

Gren
06-09-2004, 08:37 AM
TogabitoIon- Your entire arguement in hindged on the assumption that the only reason cosplayers enter a masquerade is to win prizes. I'm very sorry if that is your personal opinion of what the point of cosplay is and what all cosplayers are like.

I enjoy the skits in the masquerade for their entertainment value. Be they comedy, drama, strange pantomimes, or just a walk-on that wanted to use their own music. Yes, judging is often on costume construction, but I can see all the costume construction I like backstage. I can find the cosplayers in the hall and talk to them. If skits are lost, a very large amount of the masquerade's entertainment value is lost for me.

Maybe you think that the end result of awards is most important, and that's your perogative. You can think what you like. But I personally am in it for the maquerade itself, awards are just another reason to cheer at the end of the show. It's about watching the cosplayers. Not how efficiently we can get costumes on the stage so a panel of juges can evaluate them.

If all cosplayers care about in the masquerade is winning things, how is Ushicon so sucessful?

kirineko
06-09-2004, 01:31 PM
I mean, don't get me wrong, I loved A-Kon. I had a great time, and I'm glad I came down for it.... But between the arcade fiasco, the elevators/stairs thing,

First year in a new hotel, there are bound to be problems.

Also, keep in mind that the Adam's Mark is an OLDER hotel, for one, and for two, they just aren't USED to having THAT many people there. I'm sure they will make sure the elevators are in tip-top shape for next year. Also, a lot of wear and tear could be saved if people would not crowd the elevators, jump up and down in the elevators, or use the elevators to go up and down from the lobby to the 2nd floor. I'm GLAD they instituted elevator Nazis Friday afternoon, through Saturday. I'd suggest they do it the ENTIRE WEEKEND, for many reasons, and not just because of overcrowding.

The stairs thing was unfortunate. Many times during the weekend, I wish I could have taken the stairs, as it would have been a lot faster than taking the elevator, and a lot less stressful than going 'hey, can I get on there? I'm staff, I NEED to go up NOW'.

But anyway, yes. Elevators are bad every year, quite possibly because A-kon is held in the SAME PLACE as people sleep, therefore, ensuring that they go up and down to their room 50 times during the day.

I don't know what happened with the arcade, but again...first year with a new hotel. I'm surprised there WERE so few incidents. I'm used to having a new hotel crisis every day with the Hyatt. I think the Adam's Mark took us very well, probably because they were VERY GRATEFUL for our business, to the point that they are going to apparently have us back for the next two years.

kirineko
06-09-2004, 01:41 PM
I'm withdrawing from this thread. The point of it has been completely lost.

EDIT: And by the way. I happen to REALLY enjoy the skit portion of cosplay. Let the costume do the talking, yes, but add something special, and be creative, to come up with a skit. I am not the only one who REALLY enjoys the skit creating process of cosplay.

I'm not entirely sure what the 'point' of the thread in the first place was?

Someone was pointing out that A-kon was a family convention, that Randy had stated this on the A-kon BBS, that he had also stated that he had informed the cosplayers that they WOULD be rushed because of a time limit, because he wanted to fit as many people on there as possible, even going beyond the cap he had originally set....

And we're discussing how people feel about that. So...what is the point we have lost?

I also wanted to point out a few things:
A-kon has ALWAYS been a FAMILY convention. Everything is ALWAYS PG, they are VERY strict on that.
A-kon has always been VERY STRICT on the rules it does set.
And regarding the bands:
a)They were not there 'for free'. In almost all cases, either they, or their labels, paid for SOME PART of their trip to America, such as airfare, and/or hotel and/or food, etc.
b)A-kon was paying for them to be there, and had invested a LOT of money in all of the bands' performances, mostly in equipment rental....if any of the bands had suddenly pulled out, A-kon would have lost out on the money they invested.
c)also, while the bands were there 'for free', please keep in mind they were also not MAKING any money off of playing A-kon.

And also, please keep in mind, finally, that...THIS IS THE FIRST (and very possibly the LAST year) that A-kon has EVER dealt with this many musical performances. A LOT of learning went on this year, and yes, there were mistakes made, and people's toes got stepped on (on many many levels) but...it won't happen again. And if it DOES happen again, I guarantee you, it won't happen LIKE THAT.

The staff is not ignorant, and we do know there were a LOT of trainwrecks this weekend. We only did the best we could to minimize the damage on ALL sides, but sometimes, when you see a wreck coming, all you can do is throw out the airbags and hope for the best. And I think we did a DAMN FINE JOB with everything we had to deal with.

TogabitoIon
06-09-2004, 03:26 PM
Gren- I understand that people enjoy the skits as well, but from a number of people that I ended up speaking to... it seems like it's just the cosplayers that enjoy the skits, and not the general audience.

I'm not taking sides on this at all. I'm just pointing out little things. I've not even said what I'm angry with about the cosplay. It wasn't the cosplay itself, it was the fact that it was out of the control of the people running it. Why badmouth them? Perhaps simply asking the con heads themselves about it?

Randy was doing what he could for everyone, at the best of his ability. I think 'his best' was definately good enough. He did what he could to make us comfortable and to allow us to enjoy the cosplay.

I'm sorry that it comes across that it feels like I'm in it to win. I'm not. However, the way people have been on this, it certainly seems like that that's what they want. Don't turn to me and gripe when I'm just pointing out facts. That's all.

Part of me wonders- if people are so into doing skits and such, why don't they work on creating their own event to do just that? Kind of a mini-cosplay, in a sense?

Anyway! These facts are things I heard from people that /aren't/ cosplayers. People didn't seem to be interested in the skits this year. At all. I know a number of people who just got bored of it, and had heard nothing but complaints from the length of skits. These are things I know from personal experience in areas outside of cosplay. It's not the only place in life where this problem comes up.

What I have said, is quite simply- cosplay does not rotate around the skits. It rotates around having a good time. Right? If we're fighting and arguing over something that we do for fun, then it's not any fun anymore, is it?

When you're part of something as catastrophic and chaotic as the A-Kon cosplay was this year (talking to poor Amy Fraga before everything- she was at wit's end with the arrangements.)- I don't think it's fully fair to the staff to go out and say that we were shafted, when I think the team running the cosplay were in just as much trouble as we were. Mind you, they /aren't/ part of the scheduling staff. They're not in charge of that. Usually, Main Programming is shut down fairly early on for cosplay setup. There was an event that happened earlier Saturday that didn't allow this to happen- which actually caused the backup the whole way.

It's part of the fact that Randy did what he could to make it run easier for everyone involved. The groups that were around us did rearrange their skits with little trouble. Hell, King was having fun with trying to figure out how to cut a chunk of his out. >D Pablo Fraga was called in last minute to do just that. ^_^ In my experience in band and stage- things should never be expected to happen as you want them. A contengiency plan is usually sometimes a great idea to keep in mind for it.

FoxPhyre
06-10-2004, 01:10 AM
I'm sorry that it comes across that it feels like I'm in it to win. I'm not. However, the way people have been on this, it certainly seems like that that's what they want. Don't turn to me and gripe when I'm just pointing out facts. That's all.

Part of me wonders- if people are so into doing skits and such, why don't they work on creating their own event to do just that? Kind of a mini-cosplay, in a sense?

Hate to just jump in the conversation, but im going to anyway...
I agree on the point that everyone that enters a cosplay in some way hopes that they might win. maybe not for prizes or fame, but because thats the biggest honor to some people's costuming prowess if you will. especially at a larger convention such as this one as opposed to a private function.
i havent noted any mass of people that really gave three flying rat craps about it, so i dont find it to be that big of a deal. at least it wasnt to me. i had fun regardless of all that went on. i would have had fun even had i not won. i would have even had fun had we not even walked across the stage. why? because i got to see a lot of interesting costumes and yes, even a few good skits, and we got a lot of compliments on our costumes as well. winning the contest is nice, but i dont like to think of it as a contest. because i wasnt really trying to compete against the other cosplayers, it was just a part of the whole kit. i thought a few other cosplayers should have gotten prizes. but i think those people still had fun even though they didnt.. because they probably got more compliments than i did.. and thats what its all about. networking with people and sharing ideas and seeing what your coleagues have to show.
i have a question about the second part of the quote, could you define they?

end transmission. . .

TrigunWolf
06-10-2004, 09:56 AM
All I wanna say is that I was sad at the lack of skits this year... Last year there were more skits then walk-ons.

Skits are probably the best thing I enjoy about cosplay contests, it's a chance to see the creative minds at work.

Not that I don't hate walk-ons. Seeing some of the costumes is great!

FoxPhyre
06-10-2004, 11:07 PM
All I wanna say is that I was sad at the lack of skits this year... Last year there were more skits then walk-ons.

Skits are probably the best thing I enjoy about cosplay contests, it's a chance to see the creative minds at work.

SEE EVERYONE!!! im glad to see we have a person who appreciates theatrical skill and prowess...
maybe next year there will be more time for skits too.. had there been anymore it could have gotten sticky...
well stickier that is...

Cherry
06-11-2004, 12:12 AM

BRAVO! ^_^ Very well said!

Anakha
06-11-2004, 01:33 AM
I was part of the SCII walkon. I agree the cosplay was rushed, and more time might have been better. I likes me some skits, and i like walk ons too. We wanted to do a skit, but had no ideas. As for the appropriateness thing, Lords of Acid is not "Quality Family Music". i don't care if yer a fan, we don't need little kids hearing songs like that. The dead babies and the cheerleaders had to be the worst, as the cheerleaders made no sense to me, and was just an excuse to dirty dance to a particularly disgusting and crappily written song. And the Dead Babies joke was horrible right after the kid, but he probably didna know he had to follow that act. Either way, im all for stricter rules on music, but time...eh.

Asmaria
06-11-2004, 08:12 AM
I don't think she was trying to say there _should_ be strict rules on time, but that given the circumstances, staff should be appreciated for what they were able to accomplish under their restrictions this time around, and griping over time constraints at this point is a bit silly. But also that staff should also learn from their mistakes, as pointed out with timing, screening (although that's more the cosplayer's responsibility), and such (which I'm pretty sure at this point they've taken note of for future reference), and mostly just that griping madly at them for something they already know doesn't accomplish much. Anyways, I think I'm beating a dead horse here. I like skits too, I just don't think there was much that could have been done this time around so I'm not complaining. I'm sure next year will be a blast for everyone. ^_^

Sephiroth-chan
06-11-2004, 08:44 AM
I have to agree on the Skit thing. It's SO much fun seeing what amaizing performances people can do. Like the Naruto/Star Wars cosplay with the guy dressed up as Leia, or the increadable group that did the FF6/8 Cosplay skit. And what has to be my favorite...was the woman who did Esmeraldes. She looked very much the part...but when she went up on stage to give her grand monologue...she portrayed the character is such a real way that a mere walk and flounce on the catwalk could never achieve. Skits are meant for people to further portray...or parody...a character. unfortunately, most of the time it's lost on a few entrants.

Of course, just going up on the stage and doing something fun and wild is really something too. And, yes...I draw a definate line between Wild and Vulgar.

Intersting side note: Has anyone ever noticed there's a theme amidst cosplay every year at A-kon?

2004: Ecchi/Vulgarity (Ranging from mild humor to Not so mild)
2003: Final Fantasy Yaoi (I had to laugh my pants off at this one)
2002: Nonstop Kareokee
2001: Sailor Moon Invasion
2000: Spice Boys (Backstreet, NSync, etc)

I wonder what next year will be?

FoxPhyre
06-13-2004, 03:56 AM
i guess you never got invited to the pre-a-kon skit guild planning meeting, sephy-chan.... we all get together and decide what were going to run into the ground that year and proceed to do it...

theres also another new guild called the "a-kon: were not gonna join the competition but were gonna run naruto into the ground... especially the headbands." lol j/j i kinda thought it was funny to see that many naruto chars walking around...

Sephi-chan
06-13-2004, 08:52 AM
i guess you never got invited to the pre-a-kon skit guild planning meeting, sephy-chan.... we all get together and decide what were going to run into the ground that year and proceed to do it...

theres also another new guild called the "a-kon: were not gonna join the competition but were gonna run naruto into the ground... especially the headbands." lol j/j i kinda thought it was funny to see that many naruto chars walking around...

Gah, Why am I never notified about these things, lol.Yes, this was the year of the neon ninja, wasn't it. Rumor has it there's going to be an invasion of REAL looking ninja one of the nights. That should be interesting.

Scortia
06-13-2004, 09:45 AM
Intersting side note: Has anyone ever noticed there's a theme amidst cosplay every year at A-kon?

2004: Ecchi/Vulgarity (Ranging from mild humor to Not so mild)
2003: Final Fantasy Yaoi (I had to laugh my pants off at this one)
2002: Nonstop Kareokee
2001: Sailor Moon Invasion
2000: Spice Boys (Backstreet, NSync, etc)

I wonder what next year will be?

rotflmao!! You are so correct. o.O Last year was a great skit year though... but it was weird given that half of the skits had to do with yaoi... I'm sure the guys want a yuri skit year now...

ephymeris
06-13-2004, 12:16 PM
A-kon overall was great in my opinion. The hotel accomodations were MUCH better this year than in the past. There was room to move and congregate without sweating like a pig. This was the first year we were offended by anything. I just wish they would have sampled the music before the cosplay for the ironcat skit before allowing those kids to play it. I just felt bad for a-konners who came with their parents or children who now have this impression that anime and cosplay is all about sexual perversion. Then hentai jokes were fine but having to hear the word pussy said over and over in front of little kids was pretty bad.
My only other gripe is how a-konners are treated by the staff at times. I know you need an electric cattle prod to control the crowds sometimes and that it is hard to have a light touch with crowds of crazy fans but I also felt that if the staff wouldn't scream at, belittle, and condescend to the kon goers, that people would be more likely to act like people and not like rebellious children. We were misdirected by and then screamed at, even practically threatened at times by the staff for going the wrong way and sitting or standing in the wrong place. It's hard to know where to be when there are no signs or other indications as to where to be, what's going on, or what a line is for. My group of friends and I are all over the age of 25, hardly the rowdiest folks there, and we would have appreciated being talked to like the compliant adults we were. While there was a LOT of awesome staff, it seemed as though the loudest, rudest, megalomaniac folks would butt in to an already controlled situation and confuse huge crowds and lines of kon-goers. If things and situations were more clearly labeled and defined I think that several situations would have been a lot more calm and controlled without all the yelling.

kyandi-chan
06-13-2004, 05:44 PM
dont make me say "chair". i wonder if anyone knows what thats referring to. hehe

but seriously. i wanted to do a skit, but the a vital member that i was counting on dropped out and switched groups *cough* but i still luvs yous hunny! and then everything fell apart. i finally settled on just a walk-on. they threatened us with time like it was 30 sec to 10 secs because there were SOOOOO many darn walk-ons (i was so happy when i found out that anakha had got us signed up for one because i didnt know if there was going to be enough space) but i thought it was so bizarre that they allowed SOOOOOO many walk-ons in the first place.

Since I was so anxious/scared/ and shocked from the earlier bad-taste cosplays, I ended up screwing up my first walk-on by not paying close enough attention to my group members and i ran off stage too early. So, Kyandi-chan has poor timing under pressure. I'll do better, if A-kon does better. Thank you.

PUT THE DAMN WALK-ONS BEFORE SKITS, YO FINKS! ...*end of rant*

Kaijugal
06-14-2004, 12:04 AM

Just FYI for interests sake:

A few years ago Anime North found that the masquerade was getting too large and unwieldly especially with so many groups wanting to do long and elaborate skits. It was obvious that some changes had to be made to accomodate so many people intrested in cosplay. A One Minute time limit was placed on masquerde acts and The Anime North Cosplay Skit Comeptition was born specifically to cater to those groups that wanted to do large skits.
The Skit Competition is Friday night and the Masquerde is on Saturday Night. Both are very popular.
Perhaps you may consider something like that in Akon's future.

Just food for thought,
Cheers!
~Kai

Yui
06-14-2004, 01:15 AM
Yes, the japanese guests ARE very important, but not EVER are they important enough to ruin an event that many view as the ONLY event worth coming to. ( I personally love all of the singers, but I think that proper preperation should have been taken.)

^_^;
Well, I'm going to be a little baised here obviously because everyone knows why -I- even came to A-kon, but by rushing (or rather: keeping it on time) the masquerade didn't 'ruin' the ONLY event some of us felt was worth coming to. Especially for those of us that paid the additional vip entrance pass on top of our con badge. Remember that every con has a free masquerade, but the concerts were a rare opportunity that we paid extra for.

Altho I agree that cons should view their attendees as customers and not livestock. >.<

But yeah...if only there were two separate rooms...one -only- for concerts, maybe? That would allow for more flexibilty, especially for all the prep and sound checks.
Or maybe just not cramming everything on one day would solve the traffic problems, too. Skits one day, walk-ons another?
It could also be that A-kon is just trying to do too much at once and might have to start specializing in what events are the most important to the majority of their attendees.

AnimefestChii
06-16-2004, 10:28 PM
Not to stop what everyone was saying, but I didn't see the cosplay this year, only a little bit of cherry and gren's skirt and most of the walkons. However I do remember going to my first akon (akon 13) and seeing some certain cheerleaders. I assume they were the same ones. I am still telling my friends stories of how unfair it was that they won an award, cheerleaders have nothing to do with anime and they were just being teases to the judges to win an award. I can't imagine how bad it went this year but if someone felt like pm-ing me and telling me I would be quite grateful ^^;; But more to the point, yay that they were disqualified!!! If they had won something this year I would have gone and found someone to scream at, them winning wouldn't be fair to cosplayers that try hard without skirt flaunting.

The length of the time between the cosplay and the awards was overly crazy. I saw the last walk ons on the big screen and then ran up to the gaming room. I came back quite a bit later and saw a concert so ran in to see what was up, and then sure I watched the ballet, but was horrified to learn that they were all spacers between the awards and cosplay o.o;; that was inhumanely too long a time!! How long does it take judges to come up with decision? O.o;;; *sigh* that's how it goes I guess. I just haven't had a good impression of the akon cosplay yet.

Psycho le cemu was awesome at the preparty and I never heard what went on with the demandingness but it did seem at the preparty that that might go on. I don't, however, think that one band being too demanding should stop other japanese guests or bands from being brought to akon. After all, you can't judge everyone in Japan based on one band.

KawaiiNeko85
06-17-2004, 09:29 AM
I am glad I found this thread. This was my second A-Kon and my very first time cosplaying in the contest. I was the walk-on Iron Mouse, and I don't think I felt more confused the entire weekend than at the contest. I didn't like the skits as much this year (save for a few like Utena and Kingdom Hearts).
They weren't funny, and then there were the really offensive ones. The cheerleaders and the dead baby jokes were just dumb. I just think that more thought should go into a skit, which is why I didn't try one. After the cosplay we all were ushered into the hall for pictures and after that I had no idea what was going on so I left. I wanted to go back in for the concert and I was stopped at the door. I was asked if I was part of the skits and when I said no I thought I wasn't supposed to go in. I was so confused that I thought they only gave awards to skits (I forgot) and so I left. I just got a headache and flat out went home for the day ^ ^;;
I mean, I didn't win anything, (I wasn't expecting to) but I would have liked to have seen the concerts and awards). So what is up with that? Also, who won? I still don't know what awards went to whom and stuff. *sigh*

TrigunWolf
06-17-2004, 06:13 PM
Wanna know the winners?

Best place to go is http://www.fansview.com/2004/akon/akcosp.htm

This guy is cool, great pictures too.

He was at the last A-Kon and he took pictures of the winners last year too.

If you ever wanna know about how conventions went, this guy is pretty great.

But that web address up there ^ will take you directly (hopefully) to the section with the cosplay winners.

Enjoy!

Nabe-Soft
07-03-2004, 01:04 PM
Umm...heh I was Rinoa Heartilly from Final Fantasy VIII on Friday, then Kyo from Fruits Basket on Saturday, also Mai Shiranui from King of Fighters on Saturday, and Chun-Li from Street Fighter Alpha on Sunday. Anybody see me? ^_^;;

Cherry
07-03-2004, 02:26 PM
Umm...heh I was Rinoa Heartilly from Final Fantasy VIII on Friday, then Kyo from Fruits Basket on Saturday, also Mai Shiranui from King of Fighters on Saturday, and Chun-Li from Street Fighter Alpha on Sunday. Anybody see me? ^_^;;

^^ This thread is for discussing the masquerade.

LancerFoxtrot07
07-10-2004, 01:00 AM
This being my first AKON...and first con since...well, middle school (I'm 21 now, just for reference), I'll say this:

1. The IronCat girls were, well...just as my g/f told me...terrible. I have no desire to watch awful choreography. Not to mention, well...certain areas of the body I didn't wish to see that evening.

2. The music, and one song in particular (I won't name it, you probably know which one I'm talking about) wasn't appropriate at all. It'd bother me if I showed up at a bar off lower Greenville and heard it, let alone with kids in the crowd.

3. The baby-jokes guy, well, he honestly made me laugh, in a sort of "that's disgusting, yet oddly funny way". It would have been fine during a stand-up comedy thing, but not with the baby Luna preceeding him. He could've aborted his slot.

4. The time thing was odd, but I'll chalk that up to unexpected logistical problems. I've planned massive events before, so I know that feels. If you've ever tried to book the commanding General of Fort Hood, only to have him cancel prior to 3 major events...

5. The 3rd floor arcade was a terrible disappointment. Not in the money thing, but in what they did and didn't have. I did like going into the gamestop room and playing MK:DD for a while in the mornings. Console gaming should be expanded.

6. The escalator thing is out of the hands of the AKON staff. Adam's Mark should've ran checks on it during the low-traffic hours. The space available to walk around in was MUCH greater than I expected. Nice and moderate temperature overall.

7. The Naruto thing was overused before it even started. Sadly, I didn't know what Naruto was when I came to AKON, but I knew something smelled a lot like "trendy" when I saw some 50 kids with the armored headbands in my first hour there.

8. It wasn't bad overall. My only complaints major complaints were on-site food vendors, the cosplay junk, and odd layout of the hotel, but the hotel layout isn't in the hands of the AKON staff.

Pincer
07-22-2004, 04:06 AM
I'll probably get a wee bit chewed out for the skit we did, but here's my two bits worth from my end. And yes, a lot of you know who I am. **chuckle** I found out from Amy Fraga that one judge did get offended by our skit. I wasn't told why however. But it's probably one of two things. Me doing the lispy voice or the pack of condoms that was part of the props. I think it was the latter.

I do apologize for any offensiveness on my part. Pretty much 90% of the planning was mine. The condoms was done as a sight gag of course to show an "accidental" placing of those in the bag instead of a poncho for "protection."

As for the voice, that wasn't meant as a slam on anyone. It was done as an out of left field approach. A number of people thought it would be funny of me to do that, since most weren't expecting it. I can only imagine how much damage would've truly been done if my best friend and I actually did go through with our original skit. He got sent to Korea so we couldn't do it. Original idea was to do a parody of "Men On.." from In Living Colour (for those of you who remember this comedy show). If anyone thought I was doing the skit as a gay joke, I wasn't. Considering how easily offended a lot of people seem to get these days, no doubt that original skit probably would've caused an uproar. A little raunchy yes, extreme no. We had this thing worked out to a "t."

With the bruhaha caused this year, we'll be shelving that skit for a later date and probably a different con.

Oh, on a side note, no King next year. Unless something goes awry in Jan (which might happen), I'll be wearing Armor King to A-Kon instead, but it's not going on stage. I got something else planned. Not too worry. No animals of any kind, nor beatings will occur. **chuckle**

Once again I apologize to anyone who might have been offended by the skit.

Scortia
07-22-2004, 10:17 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed your skit. Getting upset over a condom sight gag and a "gay" sounding voice is a bit much... You were right about it being totally unexpected, as soon as you started talking there was an uproar of laughter. Very good idea. There were other skits that would have offended me way more than yours did... and I doubt I'd have to list them because everyone knows what they are. Anyway, just letting you know someone out there thought it was funny.

Cherry
07-22-2004, 12:24 PM
I'll probably get a wee bit chewed out for the skit we did, but here's my two bits worth from my end. And yes, a lot of you know who I am. **chuckle** I found out from Amy Fraga that one judge did get offended by our skit. I wasn't told why however. But it's probably one of two things. Me doing the lispy voice or the pack of condoms that was part of the props. I think it was the latter.

I do apologize for any offensiveness on my part. Pretty much 90% of the planning was mine. The condoms was done as a sight gag of course to show an "accidental" placing of those in the bag instead of a poncho for "protection."

As for the voice, that wasn't meant as a slam on anyone. It was done as an out of left field approach. A number of people thought it would be funny of me to do that, since most weren't expecting it. I can only imagine how much damage would've truly been done if my best friend and I actually did go through with our original skit. He got sent to Korea so we couldn't do it. Original idea was to do a parody of "Men On.." from In Living Colour (for those of you who remember this comedy show). If anyone thought I was doing the skit as a gay joke, I wasn't. Considering how easily offended a lot of people seem to get these days, no doubt that original skit probably would've caused an uproar. A little raunchy yes, extreme no. We had this thing worked out to a "t."

With the bruhaha caused this year, we'll be shelving that skit for a later date and probably a different con.

Oh, on a side note, no King next year. Unless something goes awry in Jan (which might happen), I'll be wearing Armor King to A-Kon instead, but it's not going on stage. I got something else planned. Not too worry. No animals of any kind, nor beatings will occur. **chuckle**

Once again I apologize to anyone who might have been offended by the skit.

I've been enjoying your skits for three years now, Pincer. Don't change.

Pincer
07-22-2004, 01:37 PM
That's for the support Cherry and Scortia!

We've got two other skit ideas we've been messing with for about a year now and we'll do those once my friend gets back stateside. We're going to be poking fun at one series and extreme fans. And he's a fan of the series so we got some good stuff ready to go. **lol**

Oh, almost forgot. I do agree on the point of the con not revolving around the bands. Supposed to be the other way around. I heard a lot of horror stories from volunteers who dealt with the crap mentioned firsthand. Good thing I didn't volunteer for Guest Relations again this year. I probably would've gone ballistic. No flash photography. This wasn't a full fledged concert hall!!! Sheesh!

I was definitely in shock over the cheerleader skit. Mainly from the song. Goatboy (the guy who was in drag) did some bigtime apologizing after that. He also helped Meri host the opening ceremonies. Poor guy got caught in the crossfire over that fiasco. And the dead baby jokes, tasteless humor's is fine. Only in select situations and that wasn't one of them.

Was disappointed that there were fewer skits this year.

Sephiroth-chan
07-24-2004, 10:36 AM
Lol...Pincer...People always see you on stage...but they never see you off. You're such a fun guy...I loved how you helped entertain that adorably spazzing lil Kitsune from the Inu Yasha group. Also...I don't know if you remember that fun Bathroom shot taken with your Street Fighter group a few years back...but I have the photo still. lol. I'll always love that skit you guys did.

Kagz
07-25-2004, 01:23 AM
Yes Pincer thanks so much for intertaing shippou for us, she got a little excited on us. BTW I was the Sango... I did the song and dance in order to lighten the stressed out mood that lumed around everyong... I dont know if I did such a great job, but hey I tried. Oh and sorry if the panty thing in the skit bothered everyone. We really didn't think it would, our idea was making light at everyone in the shows embarassing moments. Unfortunately because sesshys armour caught Inu's wig we were delayed and Sesshy was unable to grab up and walk off eating the dog biskuts. Oh well.

But back on topic. I was apaulled by two skits which have already been pinged on. And well I don't blame anyone for the times that we had to have. It really wasn't that bad, yes it was slightly stressful, but hey wasn't it stressful making your costume, so whats a little rush. I mean hey it got done so just relax and learn then better prepare yourself. I did! n.n And Sora I loved your and Rikus skit. It was wonderful and oh so deep. Thank you!

I guess thats all.

Pincer
07-25-2004, 06:26 PM
Thanks guys! THAT WAS YOU IN THE KIMARHI OUTFIT!!! **lol** I was wondering who that was. You still got that pic from the staged bathroom shot!? Can you send that to me please? That will make a good intro pic to my cons and cosplay site. **lol**

Glad to know I keep people entertained. Even though the King routine has been done to death now. **chuckle** No onstage King antics for awhile at A-Kon. Other cons however are going to get something or other. Particularly SakuraCon. Have to terrorize the homestate con now. **lol** Shoot I can't even remember everything that happened backstage. With the impromptu wrestling match Doc and I started things became a blur after that. We should've had it spill outside to really take the crowd by surprise. **lol**

Trust me, I was in costume throughout the entire con. Three days of the King. With the larger crowd and more space it's hard to catch people where you think there are thoroughfaires. Definitely have to be on the lookout.

I know no one complained about having to cut their walkon and skit times when asked if it would be a problem. But with the way Randy came off with it I think people got intimidated by that and that's probably why folks didn't say anything in the first place. I didn't because our skit was short.

With the all the singers there was a mess on "equal time share." I know the con staff wasn't expecting to get three performing groups this year. So they had to accomdate them. This was definitely a lesson learned, so with any luck there won't be too high of a chance of this happening next year. Lot's of stuff got rushed, bigger con, new hotel, lot's of variables played into people getting frazzled quicker than before.

I have no doubt there will be some new measures in place on the skits and walkons for being "non-family friendly." I know our skit last year was the main reason of no food of any type being allowed on stage. The sausage exploding was not planned. **lol**
They could take a cue from SakuraCon, they let us rehearse our skits and walkons with the music to make sure our timing is right and to get very familiar with the stage. This took up an hour pretty much and there were judges there for the craftsmanship part while everyone was waiting. Not to mention if there was something raunchy coming from a person or group, they'd know about it before going in front of the crowd. I'll have to pitch this little tidbit to someone on staff.

And I know people were relieved that I didn't strip on stage this year. **lmao** Would've liked too considering I've been working out for the past year, but I believe everyone had enough. **lol**

AoKoneko
10-18-2004, 04:15 AM
I hope this is not of a bother
But has anyone in here heard of a guy named "Stan the Man"
He goes/gone/been to/ been around A-kon.
He does mostly Jrock Gothic like cosplay. He looks like Marlin Mansion. ^^

Thank you ever so much
Please do take care
Happy cosplay
Be Wilde be Free
~AK~

Lupin the Hated
10-25-2004, 05:02 PM
Okay, I was the Lupin telling the dead baby jokes. I'm going to say right now that I'm sorry to have offended so many people and I hope that I didn't ruin anyone's A-KON experience. That being said, I'm going to defend myself just a little. I had no clue it was supposed to be PG-13. It was on the website? That's wonderful for those who went there. It should have been better advertized as such, and should have been on the sign-in sheet. I'm sorry, but I do think dead baby jokes are funny, but only because they're completely absurd! I would be sickened if someone actual did any of those things. Oh, and as far as being booed, I could only tell for a few seconds. After that, the cheers drowned it out. I do think it sucked going up after that wonderful little girl, but I can't help who is before me in the line-up. I couldn't exactly change my entire skit on the spot. I went up there on a dare, and I don't think I hurt anybody. The only people who talked to me said good things. And I was personally quite offended at the cheerleader thing. Why didn't they get pulled off the stage? And how can you condemn me for being raunchy or whatever when one of the prizes for the scavenger hunt was a Hello Kitty! vibrator? I am sorry that everyone took it so badly, but it's not like calling me a bad person or something is going to change the fact that I told those jokes. I won't be entering in anymore cosplays without real planning, a good script, and (what I now realize needs to be) a more family-oriented topic. But come on, people! We're supposed to be the easy-going A-KON crowd. If we wanted to be hyper-conservative, we could be interested in Iraq or Nazi Germany. And no, I'm not calling you Nazis. I seriously wouldn't do that. This is probably the only thing I'll ever post on here, since I just wanted my voice to be heard. Oh, and my dead baby jokes went over quite well on the OU message board. They're not for everyone. Neither is A-KON. Neither are a lot of things. Just let it be.

Yusuke Urameshi
10-25-2004, 07:06 PM
I thought the dead baby jokes was funny as hell. And many others did as well, they are just afraid of being thought of as weird because they think so (and hence, won't speak up). I mean come on....If you can't take some jokes about dead babies, I think you really have problems. They are jokes after all. I think the fact that some people got pissed adds to the humor. The idea that you just told the jokes and walked off like, "bite me", leaving some of the crowd like :mfg: . lol, best ever...

CorazonAzul
10-26-2004, 04:52 PM
I so wish I could know what everyone was blabbering about. I missed the Masquerade, doh!

Gotta say this while I'm typing here. Saeto - smile! :)

Yusuke Urameshi
10-26-2004, 09:25 PM
*throws shovel out of grave he is digging in* *hops out of grave*
ehhh? what was that?.....
Anyone have a tombstone?

Dai_Katana
10-26-2004, 09:43 PM
other than that the cheerleaders lied whats wrong with them dancing to lords of acid?

Yusuke Urameshi
10-26-2004, 09:49 PM
"Show me your pussy"(The song that was played during the cheerleader dance) seems just a tad sexually explicit (but strangely, not to minors who think they are talking about a cat).

That and the skit had nothing to do with anime. Personally, I thought it was one of the most retarded things I've ever seen. Sorry if I offend anyone, but that's what happens.

SIT BOY!
10-29-2004, 07:17 PM
i agree and im very proud of everyone who didnt clap at that terrible skit