PDA

View Full Version : When you get on stage do you...

Ruri
06-08-2004, 09:31 PM
I have a question I've been wondering about for a while.

When you're entering in a cosplay competition, once you get on stage you act like your character and speak/dance, etc. Afterwards, the host will ask you questions about Why you chose the costume and Why did you pick this character, etc.

The question is, when the host asks you questions, do you start being your self or stay in character? Because I know most people go off character when this happens.

Michi
06-08-2004, 09:58 PM
I'd think you'd be yourself at that point. Not many masquerades over here do that though. ^_^;

Dany
06-08-2004, 10:52 PM
Hmm..I have yet to be in a masquerade where the MC does anything other than introduce you unless it's a pre-arranged thing.

But I'd probably be dorkchop-ish enough to be in character..

"So, why did you choose this costume?"
"What costume?"
"The one you're wearing."
"I'm not wearing a costume. This is what I pulled out of my evil overlord closet this morning."

Eleryth
06-08-2004, 10:58 PM
I've never heard of it either, although I imagine most people would be themselves.

Heehee. I can imagine seeing that, Dany... it would be entertaining. But, now that I really think about it, probably only for the first few times. It's like Xellos cosplayers. After I see/hear about 5 of them going 'its a secret', it's just not funny anymore, even if it's in character. A funny response like that would be a good start, though, I think, if followed with the real reason(s).

I think the purpose of the question is to understand the costumer, therefore, answering "in character" isn't necessarily letting them know about you and your motivations.

That's only my take on things, though. Is this a common thing at conventions where you are? Could you give an example (con name)?

Michi
06-08-2004, 11:04 PM
I've seen it at two small costume contests, where you're asked questions about your character. Big con masquerades don't really do that.

Xanthe Kelsylva
06-09-2004, 01:32 AM
Hmm..I have yet to be in a masquerade where the MC does anything other than introduce you unless it's a pre-arranged thing.

"What costume?"
"I'm not wearing a costume. This is what I pulled out of my evil overlord closet this morning."

lol, that would be funny to stay in character! I think I'll do that some time...

"So 'Celes', where did you get that costume?"
"What costume? I DID CHANGE OUT OF THE OPERA COSTUME, RIGHT?" *looks panicked*

Ruri
06-09-2004, 03:43 AM

"What costume?"
That's cool :crylaugh:

That's only my take on things, though. Is this a common thing at conventions where you are? Could you give an example (con name)?
The convention is in Australia, there's one called Supanova

Dany
06-09-2004, 12:23 PM
Heehee. I can imagine seeing that, Dany... it would be entertaining. But, now that I really think about it, probably only for the first few times. It's like Xellos cosplayers. After I see/hear about 5 of them going 'its a secret', it's just not funny anymore, even if it's in character. A funny response like that would be a good start, though, I think, if followed with the real reason(s).

Which of course means you have to come up with alternate material, or eventually break down and go "OK, they want a response from me, not the evil rat-plaster that I'm donned up as." Hee.

xie-chan
06-09-2004, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I'd be myself. Unless you're like first when they're asking questions. If everyone does that, then it's like beat a dead horse. Plus it really is to give the judges more info.

However, I would be in character when I walked on/moved, etc and if you say anything

Quita
06-10-2004, 01:27 AM
I have a question I've been wondering about for a while.

When you're entering in a cosplay competition, once you get on stage you act like your character and speak/dance, etc. Afterwards, the host will ask you questions about Why you chose the costume and Why did you pick this character, etc.

The question is, when the host asks you questions, do you start being your self or stay in character? Because I know most people go off character when this happens.

It IS rare, but I've been in that situation. I acted as myself, but then again, I think I came off as my character anyway... I'm told I act a lot likeFFX's Rikku. :D

darien_Fanel
06-10-2004, 04:25 AM
I would act like the character but give the real answer. So I'm killing two birds with one stone I suppose. Unless your character would never say the things your about to say, then it might look awquard.

Xanthe Kelsylva
06-10-2004, 01:25 PM
I would act like the character but give the real answer. So I'm killing two birds with one stone I suppose. Unless your character would never say the things your about to say, then it might look awquard.

lol, just picturing an evil overlord saying, "so then I saw this really great linen on sale and I embroidered my evil emblem on it with the satin stitch! Look how even my stitches came out!"

Xanthix
06-10-2004, 04:18 PM
That would be a pretty funny take - acting as if the MC was asking the character how they came up with their costume...

Or maybe something along the lines of, "Well normally I'd just wear any old thing, but my character designer is this crazy guy who like flashy colors and giant shoulder pads! And the reason I chose this shade of pink is that my animator ran out of red that day..."