PDA

View Full Version : Makeup to look like no makeup?

JunJun
06-09-2004, 03:42 PM
One of my next costumes is a priestess; somewhat ascetic and nun-like. Roughly 1-5c AD Britain.
My question is how do I apply makeup so that i will look fresh and vibrant in photographs, but look as though i am wearing no makeup at all? No colored eyeshadows, no unnatural lip shades.
I'll at least put on foundation.
What should I do for my eyes to lighten them appropriately? And my lips? For my lips, i had thought a matte shade that is sort of peachy red, to match the tone of my actual lips? No gloss, either, i guess.
I've never had to consider this sort of makeup! lol. Maybe i would wear the same schemes of makeup a man would wear?

Hope someone can advise me :)

mikazuki
06-09-2004, 05:07 PM
Wearing the same color scheme a man would wear is the perfect place to start. Natural colors to use are beiges, tans and very pale browns with a hint of pink.

Stay away from anything with shine such as shimmers and glosses. Use clear mascara instead of one with color (black, brown, etc). Lorac makes an eyeshadow color called Nude. I use it as a base shadow then apply Cappuccino to the crease to bring out my eyes. Of course Sephora (http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P4176&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=S10501) sells Lorac's eyeshadow.

If you need to bring out your eyes use a very pale eyeliner in a brown shade. I'd say go with one meant for blondes to use on their eyebrows. Don't use white but use a creamy butter color instead or a very pale brown.

As for foundation, use your normal foundation BUT instead of applying it at full strength mix it with a moisturizer. I do this in the hot summer when I want to wear makeup but know it's going to melt off my face with the heat. I still get a decent coverage for photos but it won't look heavy at all. Apply a rice powder instead of a "normal" loose powder. You can get that at Sally's.

Lips should look natural. Like I said, when I want my makeup to look natural I use earthy toned colors. I adore Lorac makeup and know they sell a color called Sheer Rapture (Sheer Wash). I LOVE the color since it looks so natural.

I'd skip blush, actually I never wear it myself since it always looks so unnatural.

Good luck and post pics!

China-Lilly
06-09-2004, 07:05 PM
Did you mean look like no makeup in photographs, or look like no makeup in person? There is a difference - you can look like you're not wearing anything in a photograph but still be wearing quite a lot.

I'd stick to a sheer foundation or tinted moisturiser and concealer were you need it. I wouldn't go for something completely matte as real skin does has some sheen to it. If you have really good skin, just use concealer and powder.

If you're going to use blush, and I personally would, use a cheekstain or a creme blush as these will give you a more natural finish. Even a small amount of blush does a lot for your complexion - it can give you an instant pick me up. Just stick to a sheer, nude shade. Stila Lillium would be a good one, or Becca Turkish Rose applied with a very light hand. If you're going to use any shimmer on your face, I'd say it would have to be highlighter on the tops of your cheekbones as this is where the light naturally hits. Some shimmer is OK, as long you only use a small amount, and there are no glitter particles in it - real skin does not look matte anyway - the idea would just be to add a subtle glow to your skin.

Use a light dusting of powder to set the cream products, and also prevent too much shine in the photos.

On eyes, nude shades would be the obvious choice. Beiges or pale pink as base, and then a medium brown shade in the crease. MAC Bare Canvas paint is a good base shade. MAC had a palette out not long ago called Liza AM which would have been good for this look. Or Dior quint in 030.

To define eyes, use a push brush to press in a dark brown e/s into the lashes. The idea is to get the powder between your lashes to emphasize your lash line without there being an obvious line. Laura Mercier makes a good push brush.

Use clear brow gel to tame your brows, and clear or brown mascara on curled lashes.

Completely matte lips don't look natural anyway - so you could use a small amount of lipstick and rub it onto your lips with your finger and wear it like a stain. A tinted lip balm would also be a good choice. I know a lot of people use pinky-brown lipsticks as nude, such as MAC Twig, but it depends on your natural lipcolour. On me, MAC Viva Glam V is nude, but my fave nude but better lip look is Club Monaco lip pencil in Pink Nude with Sue Devitt Hollywood lipstick.

JunJun
06-09-2004, 10:45 PM
Bah! i had a nice reply written and the computer ate it. Mean computer.

You guys are so wonderful and thorough!! I can't wait to try these techniques and products out.
I've been afraid to try cream products, because i think it'll just end up looking like a blotch of goo on my face. Maybe i'll try this time :P

Thanks so much!

nekhochan
06-22-2004, 11:35 PM
for the no makeup just gorgeous skin look I like Mineral Makeups. They look natural both in person and in photos. They also don't feel like makeup, as they are virtually weightless. And easy to use.