PDA

View Full Version : What's a good convention for a first-timer?

JKoopman
06-10-2004, 12:22 AM
Basically, what I'm asking is which Con is THE Con, like the E3 of anime conventions? I figure if I'm going to go to one, it might as well be one to remember because chances are I won't be going to another for a while.

But then I think, what if I go to a Con that's TOO big and get completely overwhelmed, so it's kind of a pickle.

Any suggestions?

Shoroo
06-10-2004, 03:01 AM
Well, Otakon(July 30-August 1.... www.otakon.com ) is one of the biggest if not the biggest. Personally my first convention was Anime Boston 2003. What you should just do is look for a convention in your price range, and close enough that you can attend (Unless you don't mind travelling). Going to small conventions (100-1000 people I guess), is good as well, as they tend to be more personal at times than the larger cons. That's one of the good points of PortConMaine ( www.portconmaine.com ), which was my second convention.

JKoopman
06-10-2004, 03:15 AM
Well, traveling isn't really an issue for me. The closest con is well over a 7 hour drive away, which is enough of a hassle that I'd just bite the bullet and fly anyway.

Airfare down to Baltimore and back for Otakon would only come to about $146, which is dirt cheap, so maybe that could be an option. But it's kind of a narrow window for preperation. Most hotels even remotely near the convention center are probably booked solid by now. Plus I've got a family vacation down to Corpus Christi, TX, from July 6th to the 15th, and Otakon starts on the 30th. My boss probably wouldn't like me taking two vacations in the same month... T.T

Still, I'd love to go. Especially if I can convince a friend to come with me. ^.^

HybridTwist
06-11-2004, 12:29 AM
I'd say AX "Anime Expo", even though it's big, it's worth it. It's July 2-July 5. It was my first con.

sephygoth
06-11-2004, 10:55 AM
I started at a Vermont con of like 200 ppl, was really worth it. At Otakon
It was a step up, but it was con #2 for me
and I was the "kid in the candy store", all that room and so much to do :eeek: and you get used to making room for fellow cosplayers in the halls in a small con, a microcosm-otakon/AX

fushigi-chan
06-11-2004, 12:06 PM
My first con was otakon acouple years ago. It's big, but it was so so fun.
Even if I go to crappy cons during winter or whatever, I know otakon will always be great over the summer =D

also, big cons seemed to be better organized *to an extent* and that's what makes it better. and cons in hotels are good too, but depending on which hotel, it can be hard to move around and stuff w/ all the ppl and tables everywhere or whatever. So convention centers = good.

that's just my opinion ^_^

JKoopman
06-11-2004, 01:55 PM
Yeah, it looks like Otakon is the one I'm going to attend. I've got a friend who's agreed to come along ('cuz flying to a con by yourself is teh suck), so we're going to split the hotel bill and stay at a really nice place.

We've got our eye on the Renaissance Harborplace Hotel (http://marriott.com/property/propertyPage/BWISH). Assuming we can get the discounted Otakon price, it should only be about $200 each for the two nights we'd be staying.

It's all pretty much planned out. Now we just need to start calling in reservations.

I can't believe I'm actually going! If you had asked me just a week ago if I'd be flying out to Maryland for three days to attend an anime convention, I'd have probably thought you were crazy...

Reno_kun
06-12-2004, 12:00 AM
comic-con in san deigo is one of the best fora first timer plus you can over cosplayers and comic freaks

xfallenangelx
06-12-2004, 07:32 PM
I'd say AX "Anime Expo", even though it's big, it's worth it. It's July 2-July 5. It was my first con.
I tottaly agree. If you're on the west coast or willing to spend for a plane ticket. I would say AX is the one to go. AX2002 was my first convention. ((Well technically I did sneak into Comic Con in 2001, but only for 4 hours)) I think AX is definately the place for starters. Its big, but not as big as if you're going to feel lost.
~Anji

Ginger Catgirl
06-16-2004, 09:07 PM
otakon - definitely. Don't be worried about the people - it's so spacious in that convention center! I've been to Otakon twice and some other con.. can't remember the name, Otakon was definitely better. It's an awesome awesome place.

quadrain61
06-21-2004, 11:31 AM
If you're near a con just go to it. If you want to go to AX or Otakon you're throwing yourself into a pool but most likely it'll be fun. Sometimes people would say "It's best to go to 2 smaller ones then hook on to the 2 largest ones" but who cares. This year will be my for Otakon from being at Animazement 2003, Nekocon 2003, and Animazement 2004.

yayahan
06-21-2004, 01:26 PM
AX is definitely the biggest Japanimation themed convention. Otakon is also huge so either would ve fun :)
A-kon has more J-music influence than others, and Katsucon is a good sized anime con that I've always enjoyed, and always reccomend to Cosplayers especially.
SDCC and Dragoncon are the biggest sci-fi conventions that I know of, SDCC being more industry oriented and Dragoncon being a four day party con.
I have no doubt that you'll have a blast at whichever convention you choose to attend! ^_^

dchan
06-26-2004, 11:03 AM
7 hours? Is that humanly possibly these days :x Well, I'm sure it is... but you're from the Twin Cities area, right? Anime Detour (http://www.animedetour.com/) should be right in your backyard.