PDA

View Full Version : BT sleeves from .hack//sign

scandia
06-10-2004, 08:17 AM
I am starting to get the materials for my BT costume from .hack//sign. But I have no idea how to do those sleeves that extend from her wrists to her elbows. I am thinking of just sewing or gluing the fabric to thick ribbons- would this work? I'd like to wear this costume for AFO- a pretty big con in my state- hence I do not want it to fall apart or to have a mediocre costume.

Reference image:

http://www.cosplaylab.com/cosplayers/costumes/details.asp?costumeid=35854

Eleryth
06-10-2004, 09:17 AM
They're actually really easy to make (at least, my way. not that my way is the correct way, just a way).

This is copy and paste from my website: Fold the fabric over your arm until you have the size you want (poofy or tight), then measure it out. Add an inch and a little (depending on the size of your seams), and cut out large rectangles. Sew the rectangles together, to make a tube. Fold over the tops and bottoms into the tube (one at a time), pin, and sew a casing to hold the elastic. Don't sew it down all the way around, or you won't get your elastic in. Leave about an inch open, if the elastic is thin. I think mine was 1/2 inch. Measure the circumference of your wrist and upper arm, add an inch, then cut the elastic. Thread the elastic though (attaching a safety pin to the end helps thread it. Adding one to the other end, and pinning it to the garment helps keep that end from getting lost in the casing.), then line up the elastic (overlapped a bit, about half an inch) and sew it a little, using the machine. Tricky, but doable. I used a zigzag stitch. Allow it to rest in the casing. I didn't bother to close the openings, but you certainly can on the machine or by hand.

And voila! Armbands.

Hope those instructions helped you. Page can be found here (http://www.storms-end.com/cosplay/costumes/bt.html).

scandia
06-10-2004, 10:09 AM
Wow, thank you so much. I have never worked with elastic before, but I definitely am willing to give it a try.

It's amazing how much attention you paid to her drape and other details. I would have definitely given your costume an award.

sephygoth
06-10-2004, 12:11 PM
A friend and I were just doing this last week! We ended up in the
Home Depot(her choice) and found the water pipe section really handy,
but found out we had to ask for "non-pcv" plastic. later on she attached some really thin(see through) black sleeves and a belt at the
top to hold it on, then slipped a cuff onto the belt and it held in place(had a small hook on the inside of the cuff. Wish I had a pic, but it's new and...well
not at all done :eeek:
hope this helps too, good luck there BT fan :bigtu:

scandia
06-14-2004, 05:34 PM
I don't think I'm going to do the staff. It is definitely way beyond my skill level. Plus the con is out of town and I drive a small sedan. Instead, I'll buy a Grunty plushie and carry it around.

The main parts of my costume have been finished, and I'm very satisfied with the results. Now comes the main challenge- the sleeves! I am glad I am doing this costume now- with my current skill level I can sew things I would have glued even 6 months ago, and thus it looks better now. The main costume (except for the center ornament in the top) is all matte, which is an effect I have seen and liked in other people's costumes. It was not all that difficult. But the sleeves will certainly be a challenge to say the least. I already bought the elastic and fabric, and I have the supplies to make the bangles (yes, they will be fabric)

ShatteredSunset
06-15-2004, 07:25 AM
Awesome, I wanna see more BT cosplayers ^^

scandia
06-15-2004, 05:47 PM
Yippee!

I made the sleeves AND the armbands today. I'm EXTREMELY satisfied with both.

I could not quite figure out how to do the elastic, so I just worked the sleeve poofiness using a method that would probably be closest to a drawstring. But it still works. The armbands I used felt as the base, then glued gold fabric on top of them (and I hope that I can find that fabric in the future- I bought it early last year and am hopelessly in love with it but almost out of it) and glued shiny gold ribbons to the edges to simulate the depth. The final effect is beautiful- they kinda look Middle Eastern (think Tatra's sleeves from MKR). The rest of the outfit is finished as well. It took me two days working for most of the daylight hours, but the work was more than worth it.

I don't know if this goes in this particular forum or not, but has anyone done the staff?

ShatteredSunset
06-16-2004, 01:35 AM
I've done the staff... It really shoudn't be that hard, you just need to make the basic shape out of something or other, glue it onto a stick/dowel/staff along with a ball of some kind, and wala, staff. I have a picture of mine on cosplaylab... username aecr ^^; If you wanna see.